Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)

Distinguish "Fat Adapted" from "Ketosis" please

I know what Fat Adapted means...it is when the body has switched its primary source of fuel from carbs to fats.

I know that ketosis is when the body burns ketones (derived from fat) in order to produce energy.

How are these terms different, and more importantly...can you maintain your "fat adapted" state while NOT in ketosis?

By this, I mean, once your body has made the switch to the "fat adapted" lifestyle, if you break ketosis, can you still be fat adapted?

Is this what happens on a carb-up? If you are fat adapted, does the body decide to keep burning fat while using the carbs to fill up glycogen levels...or does it switch back to using carbs for that re-feed?

If this is the case, what percentage of carbs are used to re-feed the body, and what percentage are used to fuel it for that 24-36 hour period of time?

In a nutshell, can you be "fat adapted" and NOT in ketosis? If so, for how long can both scenarios coinside?
    Mark these words in the annals (no homo) of bodybuilding.com.
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My take....One isn't really a requirement for the other. You can break ketosis and still use fat for energy during workouts or repleneshing glycogen for a quick day or so, assuming you've been in ketosis long enough (thus your body has adapted to fat). This is CKD.

On the other end, some believe you can be fat adapted after a few weeks without ever even entering ketosis once (~30g carbs per day), and still benefit from a carbup in the same way. This is how the Anabolic Diet works.

I like to look at it in simpler terms: you'll burn what you consume most of. Thinking of it that way, if for two weeks I ate minimal carbs (whether or not it was 0g or 30g) and 60% fat, then my body should be fat adapted.

That IS what happens on the carbup, but best be careful and monitor the carbup to see how long your body can handle carb intake while being fat adapted without spilling over. Some people may be taking a risk by carbing up a full day and a half (perhaps the second day when they wake up their body has already adjusted to carbs over night), others might absolutely need the most amount of time.

I'm pretty sure that if you're fully depleted and you carb-up the exact amount of time you need to, then close to 0% of the carbs you consume will be used for energy during that time; every gram will go to the muscle glycogen stores while fat is still being used for daily energy.

Thus, the whole concept of the CKD style diet.
    we sacrifice.

Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pickitup View Post
    I know what Fat Adapted means...it is when the body has switched its primary source of fuel from carbs to fats.

I know that ketosis is when the body burns ketones (derived from fat) in order to produce energy.

How are these terms different, and more importantly...can you maintain your "fat adapted" state while NOT in ketosis?

By this, I mean, once your body has made the switch to the "fat adapted" lifestyle, if you break ketosis, can you still be fat adapted?

Is this what happens on a carb-up? If you are fat adapted, does the body decide to keep burning fat while using the carbs to fill up glycogen levels...or does it switch back to using carbs for that re-feed?

If this is the case, what percentage of carbs are used to re-feed the body, and what percentage are used to fuel it for that 24-36 hour period of time?

In a nutshell, can you be "fat adapted" and NOT in ketosis? If so, for how long can both scenarios coinside?
    Being fat adapted means your organs (and mostly your central nervous system) start burning something else than glucose for fuel. During the first 2-3 days of ketosis, your organs gradually switch from glucose to a mix of fatty acids and ketones. Your brain, however, still gets 25% of its energy from glucose and the rest exclusively from ketones.

That 25% represents a "basal need" for glucose that is around 100g a day. If you eat 20-30g of carbs, the rest (70-80g) is synthtised from various sources : about 20g from the glycerol molecules that occur from fat breakdown, and most of the rest from protein conversion. (That's why a 1g/LBM intake of protein is important on keto !)

If someone gets out of ketosis for a few hours, it doesn't change much. However, if you start eating enough carbs to stay just out of ketosis for long periods, while still cutting on calories, your organs won't adapt to burning less glucose and then your body will start using more protein to get its glucose.