Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 40 Hour fast?

Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000)

40 Hour fast?

I do 21 hour fasts everyday and one 40 hour fast every two weeks. I find it easy to do. Does anyone have any studies on such fasts or any reasons why it wouldn't be a good idea long term? So much conflicting information.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Xscoot View Post
    I do 21 hour fasts everyday and one 40 hour fast every two weeks. I find it easy to do. Does anyone have any studies on such fasts or any reasons why it wouldn't be a good idea long term? So much conflicting information.
    Why would you intentionally want to abstain from food for 21 hours/40 hours on a regular basis?

Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000) Xscoot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    Why would you intentionally want to abstain from food for 21 hours/40 hours on a regular basis?
    I have been doing the 21 hour fast for a while now. It just fits my schedule. The 40 hours are just for challenges. Its weird but it takes my mind and body to some euphoric state.

ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have been doing the 21 hour fast for a while now. It just fits my schedule. The 40 hours are just for challenges. Its weird but it takes my mind and body to some euphoric state.
    You literally have zero time to consume food during a 21 hour span...?

You literally have zero time to consume food during a 21 hour span...?
    Just not really hungry until later in the day and eat all my calories in the 3 hour window. It just works for me. More curious if doing the 40 hour will have any long term consequences.

FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitnessSage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are a lot of conflicting, contradictory researchers on the subject and you pretty much need to choose what you believe. Some believe that fasting regulates your metabolism and lets your body test from constant digesting, and some also state they can enter the euphoric state you describe. Others think fasting is bad and encourages your body to burn muscle instead of fat.

However, personally I believe you don't really have a problem, a 40 hours fast doesn't sound like it could be dangerous. Some people want to fast for a month or something and that I discourage... But you can fast for 21 or 40 hours. you don't have to but you can if you believe it is beneficial for your body
    Hello to everyone!
    I'm a team member of Fitness Sage, a new and exciting site for everyone interested in fitness and bodybuilding. Personally, I am fascinated by nutrition. I hope to learn a lot from all of you and also be of assistance to anyone who needs it!

http://fitness-sage.com

Originally Posted by FitnessSage View Post
    There are a lot of conflicting, contradictory researchers on the subject and you pretty much need to choose what you believe. Some believe that fasting regulates your metabolism and lets your body test from constant digesting, and some also state they can enter the euphoric state you describe. Others think fasting is bad and encourages your body to burn muscle instead of fat.

However, personally I believe you don't really have a problem, a 40 hours fast doesn't sound like it could be dangerous. Some people want to fast for a month or something and that I discourage... But you can fast for 21 or 40 hours. you don't have to but you can if you believe it is beneficial for your body
    This is the kind of response I'm looking for. Yes I have read so many articles that conflict. As far as muscle loss, I haven't experienced that at all.

OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldS0ul has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I fast for 20-40 hours every now and then and I usually feel very energetic and typically have a better sense of well being during these fasts. So I say it depends on the individual.
    However take care that this doesn't result in some form of an eating disorder OP.

Originally Posted by OldS0ul View Post
    I fast for 20-40 hours every now and then and I usually feel very energetic and typically have a better sense of well being during these fasts. So I say it depends on the individual.
    However take care that this doesn't result in some form of an eating disorder OP.
    Yes, aware myself of that. I love food too much, but yeah I know it can sneak up on you. I have been 21 hour fasting for over a year now with no issues.

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think the current research is probably learning more towards supporting the beneficial qualities of intermittent fasting, rather than the negatives. I think you'll be fine OP. More than fine in-fact. As long as you get all the necessary nutrients during your 21h fast days, a 40h fast every few weeks should do nothing bad whatsoever. Maybe, maybe you will lose a negligible amount of muscle mass due to catabolism, but really I wouldn't even worry. Unless you aim to be a competing bodybuilder, it won't really matter a damn, especially if you lift heavy and get those nutrients on all the other days.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

Registered User strongerdefence's Avatar
    strongerdefence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strongerdefence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strongerdefence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strongerdefence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strongerdefence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strongerdefence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strongerdefence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) strongerdefence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, its been shown that your 21 hour fasts are beneficial for keeping your BMR elevated (leptin levels relatively constant) where as alternate day fasting (40 hour fast) contributes like any other calorie restriction to decrease in leptin levels and corresponding BMR. But I still like my long fasts too.
    Since I'm a noob I can't post links, so check out leangains thread myth busting for details on studies intermittent fasting.
    As for alternate day fasting..just google the study "Alternate Day Calorie Restriction Improves Clinical Findings and Reduces Markers of Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Overweight Adults with Moderate Asthma" and you shall find.

P.S. most of the negatives occur in females so you're fine.
    Last edited by strongerdefence; 03-14-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ArchangelEST View Post
    I think the current research is probably learning more towards supporting the beneficial qualities of intermittent fasting, rather than the negatives. I think you'll be fine OP. More than fine in-fact. As long as you get all the necessary nutrients during your 21h fast days, a 40h fast every few weeks should do nothing bad whatsoever. Maybe, maybe you will lose a negligible amount of muscle mass due to catabolism, but really I wouldn't even worry. Unless you aim to be a competing bodybuilder, it won't really matter a damn, especially if you lift heavy and get those nutrients on all the other days.
    I agree.

While the research is vary far from conclusive, there is a growing body of evidence suggestive of benefits similar to what has been suggested by CR studies, without the significant quality of life issues.

As for duration, it's likely that 18+ hours is the point where more significant physiological impact will be observed (both positive and negative), with some minimal evidence slightly suggestive of some additional/unique protective properties associated with infrequently protracted fasts >24 hours.

There's a hypothesis that properly formulated ketogenic my impart synergistic benefits in part become of overlapping metabolic shifts experienced during nutritional ketosis and during periods of extended (>12 h) caloric fasting.

Thanks for replies everyone. Reps on spread. I will forge on. Wonderpug I have read that last sentence 5 X and still can't understand it

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Wonderpug I have read that last sentence 5 X and still can't understand it
    Maybe because there is a typo. replace "become of" with "because of" and see if you understand it.

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    Maybe because there is a typo. replace "become of" with "because of" and see if you understand it.
    haha, thanks. Still don't totally understand it but it reads as a positive of fasting so I will just accept it as such.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wonderpug I have read that last sentence 5 X and still can't understand it
    Fixed below:

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    There's a hypothesis that a properly formulated ketogenic diet may impart synergistic benefits in part because of overlapping metabolic shifts experienced during nutritional ketosis and during periods of extended (>12 h) caloric fasting.
    Sloppy pug is...sloppy.

Sorry about that.

WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) WayTooFit is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i have at most lasted 24 hours.

Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Zevias is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    How do you fast for 40 hours?
    I feel like shet and wanna kill myself after that long with no food

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Zevias View Post
    That's kinda the point. It's supposed to feel rather horrible to force you to seek out food. Evolution and stuff. However, being human means, that we have the ability to resist our instincts and urges and instead make conscious choices, even if they cause us further pain and discomfort. Fasting is considered a spiritual undertaking in many cultures, because it requires a strong will to accomplish voluntarily. It builds character, discipline and helps to see things from a different angle.

I've never done it myself, but I'll probably give it a shot in the future. Kinda prepping for a contest right now, so I'm 24/7 hungry as it is, not gonna kill myself with fasting.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

Originally Posted by Zevias View Post
    Perception of hunger is somewhat modulated by body fat and prior diet.

For example, someone with relatively low body fat who is acclimated to consuming high carbohydrate meals every 2 hours (resting RQ >90, for example) is vastly more like to experience acute subjectively reported hunger and objectively observable bouts of hypoglycemia compared to someone who is in nutritional ketosis and is acclimated to caloric fasts of >16 hours (resting RQ<75, for example).

On hour 32. Nothing but water. 8 hours to go. Don't feel hungry. Heart rate dropped 2 beats p/m. Going to do a full body workout before eating later today.

WorkHardHeretic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WorkHardHeretic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WorkHardHeretic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WorkHardHeretic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WorkHardHeretic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WorkHardHeretic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WorkHardHeretic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The euphoric state is probably due to all of your major organ systems preparing to shut down.

Originally Posted by WorkHardHeretic View Post
    The euphoric state is probably due to all of your major organ systems preparing to shut down.
    Awesome!

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    my uncle will fast about once a year for at least a week. during this time he says he generally feels great. he says he just feels the desire to go on a fast, and then just does it. when i ask him, he says he feels great during and after (the first day is tough) and still functions normally, just no eating food.

i think he would say it's more of a cleansing fast than a spiritual one...

it's not for me, though i wouldn't rule one out in the future.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Originally Posted by WorkHardHeretic View Post
    Poor attempt at humor.

On hour 32. Nothing but water. 8 hours to go. Don't feel hungry. Heart rate dropped 2 beats p/m. Going to do a full body workout before eating later today.
    Tell us normal human beings how you do it? You must be/feel soooo superior!

Tell us normal human beings how you do it? You must be/feel soooo superior!
    Just wait until I post my picture here after I work out today. Then you can call me a self-centered, egotistical, narcissistic, better than thou jerk.

Just wait until I post my picture here after I work out today. Then you can call me a self-centered, egotistical, narcissistic, better than thou jerk.
    I think you're self-centered, egotistical, narcissistic, better than thou jerk.

I think you're self-centered, egotistical, narcissistic, better than thou jerk.
    Nothing I didn't already know.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why do you like doing fasts of this length? SRS question.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE