Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User BodyBldgPwrLftr's Avatar
    BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

The SWOLE Life of a not-so-average Student-Athlete

This is my second journal here. Some of you may remember me from my last journal, "The Adventures of the Bodybuilding Powerlifter", which if you're interested and/or really bored, can be found here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ght=adventures

I decided to start over with a fresh journal. I like the exchange of ideas on the forums, and I hope this new start will help get me going on them again. For a little background: I have been lifting for 8+ years, and competing in the sport of powerlifting (USAPL, raw and single-ply) since August 2008. I have also been a full-time college student since summer 2011. Since returning to school, I completed my associates' degree at Baltimore City Community College in May 2012, and am currently pursuing a bachelors' degree in accounting with a minor in business administration at University of Maryland University College. These 2 things occupy a huge portion of my life in terms of time, energy, finance and more. Since I'm not half-assing it with either, I consider myself a student-athlete.

I don't think I'm a special case or anything. I haven't met a lot of people in the same situation, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Here's what I mean by "not-so-average":

1. I'm 36 years old.
    2. I work 45-55 hours per week delivering mail for the U.S. Postal Service (this is what I refer to as "urban hiking" or "mailman GPP")
    3. I'm married (my wife of 11 years also started powerlifting about 2 years ago).
    4. I have 3 children (ages 7, 2 1/2, and 5 weeks).
    5. Powerlifting would have to be considered a non-traditional sport, but it is a legitimate sport nonetheless.

One day, I was goofing around with someone on this shirt I got from the Arnold this year that reads "GET SWOLE. LIVE SWOLE" That's where the SWOLE in the title came from. As an acronym, SWOLE = School, Working Overtime, Lifting, Eating. Outside of and including my family, that's pretty much my life these days. So that's the background for my journal.

Now for training, etc...

I'm 5'8". For the last 3 weeks, I've averaged a wake-up weight of 218 lbs. Waist is 36", so I'm still pretty lean, plus I tend to store more fat in my ass than my stomach, so that may be misleading. I have 2 major competitive goals for 2013:

1. Compete at Raw Nationals in July, and qualify for the Raw Challenge at the 2014 Arnold Sports Festival. I haven't done that meet since 2011.
    2. Compete in single-ply gear at the American Open in December, and earn a total that would make me feel comfortable entering my first Open Nationals in 2014.

There are 1 or 2 other meets that I may do this year. If so, I won't be "peaking" for them. I'll just use them as training meets to get more platform experience and get a feel for where my lifts are.

Speaking of which, here's the most recent video footage I have. I tested my geared squat, bench, and deadlift in the gym about 4 weeks ago. I hadn't tested those in quite some time, so now I have some data to work off of. Not a bad day, but I still need lots of practice in it before December.

If you've made it this far, thank you for your time and for checking me out. I hope you'll stop back and I'll try to keep the log up to date. As 2013 starts, I have bronchitis (YES!) and I'm on antibiotics for 4 more days. And I have next to no voice. Still, I hope to get my first 2 sessions of the year in tomorrow and Thursday, starting with deadlifts and squats tomorrow.
    I'm striving to do the best I can with what I have.

Find & follow me on Instagram @fortyfiedfitness

FORTYfied Fitness & Strength channel on YouTube channel here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbtBxvY6i-lcfVU9heTKMrA

Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kent.White has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nice lifts. Good luck this year.
    Best meet lifts

446.2 / 380 / 551 = 1366

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138167733&page=1

BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Wed. 1/2/13 - Deadlifts

Originally Posted by Kent.White View Post
    Nice lifts. Good luck this year.
    Thanks Kent!

I was feeling better from the meds, so I went ahead with session #1 of 2013. I probably would have trained anyway since I hadn't been in the gym for a week for various reasons. Other than sweating more than normal and extra effort to breathe a few times, no real problems.

1. Deadlift - raw, conventional
    135/3, 3, 3
    225/3
    275/2
    325/1, 1
    365/1
    405/1
    445/1 - if not a beltless PR on conventional DL, it was my heaviest beltless pull in a long time
    475/1 x 10 - 83.6% of raw PR. Used Versa Gripps on last 4 singles.

2. Front Squat
    135/6
    185/3
    225/3
    255/3
    285/3
    add belt
    315/3
    345/1, 1 - 30 seconds or so between these singles

3. Leg Extension - plate loaded
    90/10
    135/10
    rest-pause: 180/10 + 7 + 5 - 30 sec. timed between rounds

The rest of this stuff is usually done as a circuit, but ended up more as straight sets today due to New Year's crowding.

4a. Barbell Shrug: 225/10; 315/10, 10, 10

4b. Calf Press - on plate loaded leg press: 180/30; 270/24 + 6, 17 + 13; 180/20 + 10

4c. Ab Wheel: BW/15, 10, 10

4d. Adductor machine: 50/20; 60/20; 70/20

On a side note, I was in a slightly down mood. Those of you who are football fans have surely heard that Ray Lewis of my beloved, hometown Baltimore Ravens announced his retirement today, effective at the end of the season. I got to meet him at the Arnold last year, and he was one of the coolest celebrities/pro athletes I've ever met. I usually get the 1st locker in the locker room because, of course, it's closer to the door. The New Year's crowd once again shuffled things around, and I had to use a locker I don't think I'd ever used. Before I left, I happened to look up and notice the number. It was #52. Go figure.

/JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well the SWOLE acronym seems appropriate.

Are you doing any local meets this spring?
    PL Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109470421&goto=newpost

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    KAISSSHEEEEMMMM!!!

Sup brotha, haven't talked to you in awhile. Good to see you are back on here and started up a new log. I'm definitely in on this and my plan is to be at Raw Nationals as well. And I'm sitting at about 220 lbs so we might be lifting side by side. Good luck to you, your Ravens, and watch out for those pesky dogs when you are delivering the mail!
    Last edited by arian11; 01-03-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Glad to have you back bro
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Thu. 1/3/13 - Overhead Press

Originally Posted by /JV/ View Post
    Well the SWOLE acronym seems appropriate.

Are you doing any local meets this spring?
    2 chances in March: There may be a team invitational meet in PA in that I could do. Depending on the team setup, it could be raw or geared. The other possibility is the Equinox Raw Open in Columbia, MD which I understand will be held for the 2nd straight year at the end of March. I'd rather do the PA meet and judge here, but that will depend heavily on my work schedule.

Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    KAISSSHEEEEMMMM!!!

Sup brotha, haven't talked to you in awhile. Good to see you are back on here and started up a new log. I'm definitely in on this and my plan is to be at Raw Nationals as well. And I'm sitting at about 220 lbs so we might be lifting side by side. Good luck to you, your Ravens, and watch out for those pesky dogs when you are delivering the mail!
    Hey Arian!!! Good to hear from you man! If you're 220 now you might as well eat on up to the 231 limit. That's my plan, but my recent weight gain has been helped in large part because I haven't been delivering mail lately. I might be rusty on my dog fighting skills.

Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    Glad to have you back bro
    Glad to be back bro. Will have to check in on your log too.

Remembered my neck harness and dip/chin belt today. Forgot my camera and regular belts. So much for having priorities in order.

1. Overhead Press - no leg drive on these
    95/5
    135/5
    160/4
    180/3, 3, 3, 4, 4 - 83.7% of PR. Every set but the last 2 were taken straight off of safety pins set about chest high. Then I started
    sharing the rack with some squatters and walked out the last 2. I felt stronger on those. That seems backwards.
    150/10

2. Chins
    Max Assisted/10
    Half Assisted/6
    BW/6, 6 - overhand, underhand
    +50/6, 6, 6, 6, 6 - overhand, underhand, neutral, wider overhand, underhand. Used a step at the bottom of each rep to keep from swinging.
    BW/12

3. DB Incline Press - I do these so my hands are neutral at the bottom, pronated at the top.
    50s/10
    70s/10
    rest-pause: 90s/8 + 2

Today's bonus circuit:

4a. Face pull - cable w/rope attachment: 75/20, 20, 25

4b. Neck harness: 25/20 front + 20 back, 30 front + 20, 15 back (strap came loose in during the last set)

4c. DB Hammer curl: 25s/10 each, drop set: 50s/8 each + 40s/4 each

Probably won't lift again until Sunday or Monday. I return to work tomorrow. I haven't been to work since my daughter was born 5 weeks ago. Add that to the 2 months I spent working in an acting supervisor's position, and I haven't delivered mail in 3 months. That was also 12-15 pounds ago. This could suck in an epic way tomorrow. I had to get these sessions in, because I was not going to plan to go to the gym after my return mailman GPP session.
    Last edited by BodyBldgPwrLftr; 01-03-2013 at 07:38 PM.

/JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BodyBldgPwrLftr View Post
    There may be a team invitational meet in PA in that I could do.
    How does lifting as part of a team work? Best squatter squats, best bencher benches, etc.? Or you compete based on totals of the entire team?
    PL Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109470421&goto=newpost

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Found you! I like your SWOLE acronym. That was me fall semester and I am so glad school is over.

Hope all went well yesterday at work. Congrats on your new little one. I bet mamma is busy.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

Originally Posted by /JV/ View Post
    How does lifting as part of a team work? Best squatter squats, best bencher benches, etc.? Or you compete based on totals of the entire team?
    Usually Wilks. In this case, the top 5 Wilks scores from each team will be used to determine placings.

Originally Posted by SophieM View Post
    Found you! I like your SWOLE acronym. That was me fall semester and I am so glad school is over.

Hope all went well yesterday at work. Congrats on your new little one. I bet mamma is busy.
    Yes she is. Baby girl is 5 weeks 5 days and flipping over and scooting around already. Not covering much ground yet, but enough that we have to be mindful of it. Unfortunately for me, school is 5 semesters from being over, counting the one that starts next Monday for me.

Work has been tough to adjust to. The first day back wasn't bad, but after delivering 3 of the last 4 days, I feel beat. Planned on squatting today, but got sent back out after finishing my route. Apparently, one of our carriers' vehicles was hit by a few bullets today while he was somewhere else on the block. He had to do all kinds of police stuff so the rest of his route was split up. By the time I got home, I was as disgusted as I was tired with very little time. Instead of rushing to the gym to rush through squats, I'll try for a Tue-Wed-Fri split this week and start tomorrow.

Weighed 219.2 lbs yesterday morning for my weekly weigh-in.

dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Subbed congrats on graduating and the new arrival. Looking forward to this.

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Apparently, one of our carriers' vehicles was hit by a few bullets today while he was somewhere else on the block.
    Gotta love Baltimore.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

Tue. 1/8/13 - Squat

Originally Posted by dtaps24 View Post
    Subbed congrats on graduating and the new arrival. Looking forward to this.
    Thanks man! As always, I'm glad to have you on board. Perhaps one day, I will have a flat bench press PR that is heavier than your incline warm ups.

Gotta love Baltimore.
    Absolutely.

Made it to the gym and was blessed to make it out without breaking anything. I'm getting worried that one of the pins in the shoulder press rack that gets used for squats is about to give out. I'm sure it has never been replaced, and I've been squatting and pressing on it myself for 5 years or so. I'm going to have to insist that they put some of my membership dollars to good use and get a new pin. Or better yet, a new rack.

1. Squat - raw w/Rehbands
    135/7
    225/4
    275/3
    325/2
    added wrist wraps
    365/2
    395/2
    425/2
    added belt
    425/4 x 4

2. Stiff-legged DL - w/trap bar, low handle
    135/10
    185/10
    added soft belt
    235/10
    275/10
    315/10

3a. Leg extension - plate loaded
    90/10
    180/8-10 - lost count
    rest-pause: 225/9 + 5 + 3

3b. Kneeling unilateral leg curl - plate loaded
    60/10 L & R
    90/10 L & R
    rest-pause: 120/10 + 6 + 3

Made it to the gym and was blessed to make it out without breaking anything. I'm getting worried that one of the pins in the shoulder press rack that gets used for squats is about to give out. I'm sure it has never been replaced, and I've been squatting and pressing on it myself for 5 years or so. I'm going to have to insist that they put some of my membership dollars to good use and get a new pin. Or better yet, a new rack.
    Good luck getting them to fix/replace anything. We complained about something, don't remember what, and they told us the part was in the mail. A few months later, it still wasn't fixed, more things were broken, and we left.

Are they still missing one of the 15 lbs dumbbells?

Wed. 1/9/13 - Bench Press

Good luck getting them to fix/replace anything. We complained about something, don't remember what, and they told us the part was in the mail. A few months later, it still wasn't fixed, more things were broken, and we left.

Are they still missing one of the 15 lbs dumbbells?
    The dumbbells are all there. One of the 65's was missing for several months about a year or two ago as I remember. They actually have 2 sets now from 2.5 lbs to around 20 lbs, then they go in 5 lb increments like normal up to 100's.

My lower back was still feeling taxed from Tuesday's squats and SLDL's. Mailman GPP probably made it worse.

1. Bench Press - raw, still weak
    135/6
    175/4 - felt really hard
    215/4 - felt better. Better technique perhaps.
    240/2
    add wrist wraps
    260/4, 4, 4, 4, 3 & a spot - I think I rushed the rest between sets 4 and 5, and that may have cost me the sweep on 4's. This was 82.5% of my PR.

2. Seated cable row - medium-width neutral handle
    100/10
    125/10
    155/10
    170/10
    drop-set: 185/10 + 165/10 - switched to v-handle for the 165 part

3. Incline barbell press
    135/10
    160/7
    rest-pause: 185/8 + 3 + 2 - used a few negatives w/rounds 2 & 3

Short circuit to finish. Would have done 3 full rounds, but the gym was closing.

4a. Standing lateral raises: 20's/10, 15
    4b. Bent-over lateral raises: 25's/10, 15
    4c. Side bends: 60's/20 per side

Fri. 1/11/13 - Pull Party

I had plans of doing deficit deadlifts, front squats, and assistance stuff today. But fatigue from work, etc caught up to me. Much of today's mailman GPP was in the rain. I didn't leave work until after 7pm, and this was my 6th 10 hour+ day in the last week. Since I was pissed off, tired, have had some weird pain on the left side of my abdomen and lower back for 3 days, and didn't have much time anyway, I decided to keep it simple and just do deadlifts.

1. Sumo Deficit Deadlift - wearing flat shoes, standing on flat iron 45 lb plates.
    135/6
    225/4
    275/3
    325/2
    Put Versa Gripps on. Just didn't feel like using chalk tonight.
    365/2
    405/1
    445/1
    Put belt on.
    475/1 - Back was hurting less by now and this felt much easier than expected.
    500/1 - Weight flew up through lockout. Caught me by surprise.
    525/1, 1, 1 - tough, tougher, toughest. 92.5% of competition PR. Rest periods about 2-3 minutes.
    Got off plates and pulled from the floor.
    495/1, 1, 1, 1, 1 - About a minute between each single 1-4, but reps 4-5 were more of a rest-pause double than 2 singles.

Deads looking good. Hope the pain goes away soon. Be careful with that.

Weekly weigh-in update: woke up this morning at 218.2. I couldn't be happier. In the last 8 days, I've worked 7 of them for 72 hours. Granted, not all of that is urban hiking, but enough of it is. To wake up at -1 lb of a body weight PR from last Sunday is significant. This was my first week back on the street in months and I was worried I'd wake up 10 lbs lighter.

School starts for me tomorrow. Life gets really crazy again.

Deads looking good. Hope the pain goes away soon. Be careful with that.
    Thank you about the deads. My back seems to have stopped hurting. Now it feels like everything hurts. Could be leftover from the deadlifts. Don't know.

Added classes on top of work, lifting, and life does make things crazy. What classes are you taking this semester? I am so happy to be done with school until I am accepted to a nursing school. I am liking not being in school.

Squat & Deadlift Video

I planned to go to the gym for overheads today, but opted to take another rest day since I have to go tomorrow anyway (daughter's karate class). So I made my first training video of 2013. I hope to have the bench video done before I go to bed. These are the main work sets from last week. Thanks for watching and for your feedback.

Added classes on top of work, lifting, and life does make things crazy. What classes are you taking this semester? I am so happy to be done with school until I am accepted to a nursing school. I am liking not being in school.
    Intermediate Accounting I, Business Law, Microeconomics, and some computer class. At UMUC, there are 4 sessions within the semester, 8 weeks each, so I staggered my classes such that I have 1 each session. First one started today, then another starts every 4 weeks.

So I made my first training video of 2013. I hope to have the bench video done before I go to bed. These are the main work sets from last week. Thanks for watching and for your feedback.
    You make everything look so easy. <sigh> One day.

[QUOTE=BodyBldgPwrLftr;1009953833Intermediate Accounting I, Business Law, Microeconomics, and some computer class. At UMUC, there are 4 sessions within the semester, 8 weeks each, so I staggered my classes such that I have 1 each session. First one started today, then another starts every 4 weeks.[/QUOTE]

That's neat about the staggered classes. That will diminish the workload some at least. The classes don't seem horrible. I almost took microecon in college, but could never get it to fit in my schedule.

Tue. 1/15, Overhead Press

You make everything look so easy. <sigh> One day.

That's neat about the staggered classes. That will diminish the workload some at least. The classes don't seem horrible. I almost took microecon in college, but could never get it to fit in my schedule.
    Thank you! But hardly any of it feels easy. That applies to lifting and the rest of life in general, at least for me.

Speaking of which, thanks mostly to Working Overtime, I got in the weight room at the gym with 55 minutes before closing. Fortunately, overheads take less time than the other core lifts. But I still had to keep up the pace just to get this little bit in. Alternated sets from the beginning.

1a. Overhead Press
    95/8
    125/6
    145/4
    165/2
    185/3 - Almost missed rep 3, and sacrificed pretty to get it. WAY harder than I expected @ 86% of PR.
    added belt
    185/3, 4, 3, 3 - Belt made a huge difference. Intra-abdominal pressure works. Got greedy on the 4-rep set and almost missed. Last set was easiest somehow.
    135/11

1b. Chins - overhand, medium width
    Whole stack assisted/10
    Half stack assisted/8
    BW/6
    +25/3
    added Versa Gripps
    +50/5, 5, 5, 5
    BW/11, 6

2. Dips - snuck in a set before the security guard came through
    BW/20

snuck in a set before the security guard came throughBW/20
    I got locked in my college gym once. Not on purpose either. I didn't know it was closing early and no one told me while I was there. I came out of the dressing room and it was all dark. Kind of freaky.

Glad you got in a workout before closing. I hated those rush workouts.

I got locked in my college gym once. Not on purpose either. I didn't know it was closing early and no one told me while I was there. I came out of the dressing room and it was all dark. Kind of freaky.

Glad you got in a workout before closing. I hated those rush workouts.
    No one did a sweep to make sure it was empty? Great security at that place, but then again, it was a college gym.

No rushed or well paced workout today. I didn't make it to the gym tonight. Another 10+ hour work day today, as I had to wait over an hour for a vehicle to become available. Unreal. I'll go tomorrow while my daughter is in karate class. Squats on tap, maybe with the bottoms of my old Z-suit which I suppose would be similar to wearing squat briefs.

Thu. 1/17/13 - Squat

I usually have my daughter with me on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She has a karate class. If I get there before her class starts, I have a 90 minute to 2 hour window to train. On days like today, I work crazy overtime, get there late and have about an hour. No assistance work today.

1. Squat - raw w/Rehbands to start
    135/6
    225/4
    275/3
    325/2
    added wrist wraps
    365/2
    405/2
    Put on Z-suit, straps down. Took about 10 minutes.
    405/2
    435/2

put on belt
    455/2, 3
    475/2
    495/2

My knees are starting to feel the effects of pavement pounding. I have those insoles in my shoes & boots and apparently they're not helping. Before the session they felt bad. During the session, they felt fine. With the way they feel now, I'm scared of what's going to happen when I roll out of bed in the morning.

Fri. 1/18/13 - Bench Press

Another rushed session. Did this in less than an hour, with much shorter rest periods than I would normally take.

1. Bench Press
    135/6
    165/3
    195/3
    225/3
    255/3
    Added RAM
    270/3
    285/3
    300/3
    315/3
    - Felt heavier than it should have.
    Gym-about-to-close rest-pause-drop set:
    330/1 + 315/1 + 295/2+ 275/2

2. Seated row - cable, v-handle. Started these after the 300 bench set.
    100/15
    130/10
    160/10
    190/12 - probably good for 15+ with Versa Gripps.

Disappointing session. At one time I would have been thrilled with this, but this is a sign that my perennially weak bench has regressed. Maybe it was the short rests, I could be tired from work, I may have lost some weight this week, or anything else. I'm feeling a bit beat up - maybe it's time for a deload week. I'll do my normal weekly weigh-in on Sunday morning. If I'm going to deload, I'll probably deadlift on Sunday to finish this wave, then shut it down for a week.

This could be a great weekend. Orioles FanFest is tomorrow. Ravens in the AFC Championship game on Sunday. 3 days without mailman GPP. Beautiful.

There hasn't been much to report. I'd been thinking of making this a deload week, and it looks like work decided that for me. In the last 2 days, I've worked 23.5 hours. That sucks for any job, but for a mailman on days with high temperatures in the 20's, it really sucks. I'm on the schedule for a 10 hour day tomorrow. If I can hold to that, then I'll get to the gym tomorrow and do a light legs/push/pull session. After that, I'll look to start again on Sunday.

I do have a bodyweight update. My Sunday morning weigh-in had me at 216.6 lbs. That's -0.6 lbs from last week, and -1.6 lbs since I resumed mailman GPP on 1/4/13. Not too bad, but I need to stop this before it gets out of hand and I'm back in the 198's/205's.

As for the beautiful weekend, I did get to meet Jim Palmer, the greatest pitcher in the history of the Baltimore Orioles. And I'm sure you've heard by now that THE BALTIMORE RAVENS ARE PLAYING IN SUPER BOWL XLVII!!

I wish I'd see some movement on the scale. I'm blaming it on soreness and muscle retaining water. I can't use that excuse much longer though. I just need to eat less

The Harbowl should be a good game. I might go somewhere and watch it since I don't have TV at home.

Thu. 1/24/13 - Deload

"You look smaller. Have you lost weight?"

When the gym attendant, a young lady no less, says this to you, it can be devastating. But she didn't lie, and neither did the scale. In the gym, fully dressed minus shoes, I was 215. That means I'm probably 212-213 when I wake up, down 5-6 pounds in 3 weeks. That doesn't seem like much, but as hard as I have to work for bodyweight, it's time to stop this trend.

Simple deload day yesterday:

1. Squat
    135/5
    185/5
    235/5
    275/5
    315/5

2a. Bench Press
    95/5
    135/5
    175/5
    205/5
    225/5

2b. Pullups - overhand/medium grip
    Assisted/10
    Less Assisted/8
    Even Less Assisted/6
    BW/6
    BW/6 - underhand

God willing, back at the weights with a vengeance on Sunday. I noticed that a pain/strain hasn't gone away. It seems to run from the back of my left tricep, skipping the shoulder and into my upper back under the shoulder. It doesn't seem to be stopping me from doing anything, but it has been there long enough and I feel it enough to be concerned about it.

The Harbowl should be a good game. I might go somewhere and watch it since I don't have TV at home.
    It is obligatory to watch the Super Bowl when your hometown's team is playing in it.

Sun. 1/27/13 - Overhead Press & Tue. 1/29/13 - Squat

To catch up, here's the video I posted with the clips of the first few pressing (overhead & bench) sessions of 2013. In this video, there are raw benches at 260 x 4, weighted chins at 50 lbs x 5, overhead presses at 185 x 3, and benching with the RAM up to 330. Thanks for watching and for your feedback!

On Sunday, I woke up at 212.4 lbs. That's down 6.2 lbs since I went back to work (mailman GPP) on 1/4/13. Not good. I'll be fighting that with a vengeance. As for lifting, here's how Sunday's session went:

1. Overhead press
    95/6
    120/6
    135/5
    150/4
    added belt & wrist wraps
    170/9 - This was absolutely a max effort. Deep breath between reps 8-9.
    170/6, 6

2. Pullups
    medium-overhand
    max assisted/12
    half-assisted/8
    BW/6
    25/6
    50/6
    Switched to underhand
    50/8, 7
    Drop set: 50/6 + BW/6

3. Incline DB Press
    65's/9
    rest-pause: 90's/9 + 4 + 3

Circuit, 2 rounds:
    4a. Neck Harness: 25/25 front + 25 back, 25 front + 25 back
    4b. Leg Raises: (at dip station): 20, 15
    4c. Dips: BW/20, 15

Sunday, I was off work. Today, I had several hours of urban hiking through mud, with overtime. I had to run some errands after work, and got in the gym with just under an hour until closing. Not the kind of prelude I prefer before squats, but that's life:

1. Squats - started "totally raw"
    135/9
    185/3
    225/3
    put on Rehband sleeves
    265/3
    305/3
    added wrist wraps
    345/3
    added belt
    385/10, 5, 5 - Started alternating with sets of kneeling single-leg curls after the 10-rep set. I think my lungs and will gave out on that 10-rep set before my legs, core and back did. Went in looking for 9, and knew I had to think "10" as a goofy way of tricking myself into sticking with it.

2. Kneeling single-leg curls -plate loaded machine
    50/10 left, 10 right
    90/10 left, 10 right
    120/10 left, 10 right
    Last edited by BodyBldgPwrLftr; 01-29-2013 at 09:31 PM.