robin88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Competition advice- Bikini

So, I'm really wanting to sign up for my first bikini division competition next year. I'm far from ready right now, but I KNOW I can get there. Do most bikini competitors get coaches? At what point do they start working with these coaches? Also, how far in advance do you tend to start your pre contest diet? I live in South-Western Ontario.. Does anyone know any coaches/trainers in my area? I am very new to the idea of competition so any advice I can get is welcome! I am also a student, so I'm on a student budget..

Right now, I'm focusing on building muscle. I do not want to get up there and be "the" girl that just looks like a cardio bunny, I do want to have some muscle definition. At this point, I know I have a little bit higher body fat than most other girls at this point in time. Should I be more focusing on getting my body fat down, this soon? Or should I focus on muscle and worry about losing my fat closer to the compeition, maybe at the beginning of January (competition is in April)? Also, what is the ideal bodyfat at competition time? Look forward to reading responses and thanks for your time!!

fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fargy317 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by robin88 View Post
    So, I'm really wanting to sign up for my first bikini division competition next year. I'm far from ready right now, but I KNOW I can get there. Do most bikini competitors get coaches? At what point do they start working with these coaches? Also, how far in advance do you tend to start your pre contest diet? I live in South-Western Ontario.. Does anyone know any coaches/trainers in my area? I am very new to the idea of competition so any advice I can get is welcome! I am also a student, so I'm on a student budget..

Right now, I'm focusing on building muscle. I do not want to get up there and be "the" girl that just looks like a cardio bunny, I do want to have some muscle definition. At this point, I know I have a little bit higher body fat than most other girls at this point in time. Should I be more focusing on getting my body fat down, this soon? Or should I focus on muscle and worry about losing my fat closer to the compeition, maybe at the beginning of January (competition is in April)? Also, what is the ideal bodyfat at competition time? Look forward to reading responses and thanks for your time!!
    First, there is no set body fat for any competitor. Someone at 14% may look better than somone at 12%. You have to take weekly progress pictures and evaluate your physique based on that. Typically prep is going to be from 8-16 weeks, but that depends on where your physique is. Sixteen weeks is a really long time to diet so if you've never done it, I don't recommend it.

I'm figure, not bikini so I can't help you with coaches or more detailed info on prepping or when to start.

One more thing, if you diet is clean and you really aren't eating processed crap, you will see yourself lean down over time even if you aren't in prep mode.

hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000)
    There is a show in London a few weekends from now. I'm sure you will meet who you need to there.

http://www.jamorshows.com/westernposterlarge.jpg

robin88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow! I wish I knew about this a couple months ago.. I live in London! I will have to atleast go and watch! Thanks a lot!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    [QUOTE=fargy317;572173061
    One more thing, if you diet is clean and you really aren't eating processed crap, you will see yourself lean down over time even if you aren't in prep mode.[/QUOTE]

A "clean diet" doesn't get you lean. It's all about the total calories, being in the right deficit and giving yourself enough time to diet.

The look for bikini is lean with little to no muscle. Jan is right around the corner, so your plans to add muscle will take much longer then that. It takes women years to add quality muscle...it doesn't happen overnight.

To be lean enough in bikini, plan on coming in under 15%.

Unless you are already lean, most women should plan a good 12-16 week diet...sometimes longer. If you make the mistake of crash dieting (which most women do) you end up losing muscle and you won't come in lean enough.
    Last edited by kimm4; 11-04-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gMac2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    A "clean diet" doesn't get you lean. It's all about the total calories, being in the right deficit and giving yourself enough time to diet.

The look for bikini is lean with little to no muscle. Jan is right around the corner, so your plans to add muscle will take much longer then that. It takes women years to add quality muscle...it doesn't happen overnight.

To be lean enough in bikini, plan on coming in under 15%.

Unless you are already lean, most women should plan a good 12-16 week diet...sometimes longer. If you make the mistake of crash dieting (which most women do) you end up losing muscle and you won't come in lean enough.
    solid advice.

WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000) WorkOutBarbie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Welcome sista to the bikini world! you will love it! but we careful...competing is highly addictive I would definately try to get lean now...so you can be relaxed and not stressed come April. Putting on muscle is a fab idea! You can do both cardio and training and you'll get great results! remember your physique is 90% diet and 10% training. I like to be super strict on my diet 6 weeks out. But up until then...a cheat meal once a week is nice Best of Luck! Post progress pictures!
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasminerose is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bikin division!

Congrats on deciding to compete! Its a whole new world! The deal with bikini is there is NO judging criteria like in other divisions. Its souly on beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You DO have to have muscle for bikini, but not as much or as lean as the figure division. I would say more than half of bikini is stage presence. Hair and make up is a biggie too. The key is not too muscular or not too skinny either. This is where the confusion is in the bikini division. I agree with not focusing on your bodyfat percentage so much as to what you look like is whats important.
    As far as coaches, do as much research on the internet as possible. Look at videos, read articles about diets and work outs. Alot of info you can get online. If youre getting close to comp time and dont feel confident with your stage presence and posing, then get a coach. Competing is expensive so plan for it! I went into my first compeitiion with just researching my butt off and won over all. THen took on nationals and placed third. Ive learned you need to work hard to get there, but once you're there, the most important advice I can give is to HAVE FUn!! This is what makes you stand out and makes it a great experience!! I hope i helped!

firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firecracker3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would recommend you remain cautious with your diet..16 weeks is long sure but I've known others to so 20, giving them some slack beforehand. What I would receommend is finding someone....London? Hmm, Emily Sterling I believe is that way....there are others I can msg you.

Bikini is posing posing posing...I cannot stress this enough. You can have a kick ass bod, hair and bikini done and if you walk like a truck driver? Forget it Get those shoes ASAP and walk in them as much as possible...there are many many many posing classes, in Toronto I know for sure....you have to look like you own the stage
    Joleen Axworthy
    www.twitter.com/joleenaxworthy
    StarChem Labs Athlete
    4SportLife Athlete
    Professional Fitness Model/Personal Trainer
    Ms. Bikini Canada 2007
    FAME Fitness Model Pro
    WBFF Model and Figure Pro

wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Im starting now and i have just under a year lol ive lost 40lbs 182lbs to 142lbs and im at 25%bf thats why im planning on a whole years worth of training as i need to lose still atleast 15lbs possibly ( im 12lb from my goal weight but its not set in stone)

tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by wannabefit69 View Post
    Im starting now and i have just under a year lol ive lost 40lbs 182lbs to 142lbs and im at 25%bf thats why im planning on a whole years worth of training as i need to lose still atleast 15lbs possibly ( im 12lb from my goal weight but its not set in stone)
    you just responded to a 2 yr thread.. haha.. it's cool. i've done it too
    Instagram: thomas_poucher

yes i've tried doing incline first

reps on recharge.. demonwareltd, flang, TTimmerman, wala, Canuck77

Jane072989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well it is really to good to you, I wish I could also join that competition but I will spend a lot of time in working.