TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Popcorn on Keto?

Just curious, popcorn is often mentioned in other diets as being a great low calorie snack. What about on a keto diet? Anyone know how many carbs etc?
    Current Diet: Turkey, Chicken, Steak, Eggs, Yogurt, Rice, Salad and Steamed Veggies. (60/30/10 ratio)

Current Supplements: Desiccated Liver Tablets, Muscle Milk, Multivitamin, Vanadyl Sulfate, Nitrix, Flax Seed Oil, Saw Palmento and Calcium/Magnezium supplements.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.annecollins.com/dietary-c...bs-popcorn.htm

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art31431.asp

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/beginners.html

http://www.counterwise.ca/healthmatters/hm0306.html

Draw your own conclusion ...too many conflicting stores ...the joys of low carb is the confusing foods you can or can not eat

Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Just curious, popcorn is often mentioned in other diets as being a great low calorie snack. What about on a keto diet? Anyone know how many carbs etc?
    Pop corn and corn are the same thing right?

Corn has way too many carbs in it. I am sure that you could eat a handful of popcorn at a random moment in time...but it would have to be eaten with the rest of your keto meal to minimize the effects.
    Mark these words in the annals (no homo) of bodybuilding.com.
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    yeah a great low calorie snack, but not exactly keto.

Does anyone have any suggestions for low calorie and low carb finger foods, similiar to popcorn?

Im looking to add something that i can munch on inbetween meals without it being high calories (like nuts) or high carbs (like popcorn).
    Current Diet: Turkey, Chicken, Steak, Eggs, Yogurt, Rice, Salad and Steamed Veggies. (60/30/10 ratio)

Current Supplements: Desiccated Liver Tablets, Muscle Milk, Multivitamin, Vanadyl Sulfate, Nitrix, Flax Seed Oil, Saw Palmento and Calcium/Magnezium supplements.

SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Does anyone have any suggestions for low calorie and low carb finger foods, similiar to popcorn?

Im looking to add something that i can munch on inbetween meals without it being high calories (like nuts) or high carbs (like popcorn).
    You can snack on cheese sticks and pepperoni.

PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)
    How about celery? It will give you the crunch of popcorn.

If its not a raw veggie...it will have to be a fatty protein...and then, you are just eating part of your next meal a little early...instead of it being a snack.

Do you really feel the need to snack when you eat every 3 hours...or do you NOT eat every 3 hours. Do you only have 4-5 meals daily?
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

Originally Posted by pickitup View Post
    Do you really feel the need to snack when you eat every 3 hours...or do you NOT eat every 3 hours.

Its a combination of two things.

1. Stress during work hours causes me to want to binge.

2. I have a long commute to and from work. When i get home from work, i eat. But, sometimes i get hungry before i get home and i have had a few close calls where i almost wanted to hit McDonalds.

I carry RTD protein shakes in my car trunk for emergencies. I use the EAS Carb-Control Shakes which are low carb, hihg protein and low calorie. But, sometimes they are not enough, you know?

So i was thinking about finding something i can snack on when hungry but make sure its low calorie and low carb and can be kept in the car without going bad.

I would go with Pepperoni sticks or beef jerky. But, i am trying to keep sodium under 1800mg, and just one serving of these with my normal diet would take me over that limit.

I thought about popcorn because its low calorie and low sodium. But, its entirely carbs and not worth it. I mean i would rather eat an apple then a cup of popcorn if i were to eat 15g of carbs etc.

I have found that aside from produce (a few select veggies) and nuts...all of the foods I am able to eat on keto are REFRIGERATED.

I keep walking over to my pantry looking for something to eat...and then I remember...everything in there is off-limits (except macadamia nuts and almonds).

All of my food is either in the fridge or freezer. Even some of the produce stays in the fridge (crisper). This diet does not seem to cater to the person who wants to take food with him for later consumption. I guess cheese and some other sources of fatty proteins can go awhile without refrigeration...but for the most part...it does.

Aside from raw veggies...you do not have many options for snacks other than nuts.

How do you feel about pork rinds? I have not had any since I started keto...but they seem to fit the plan perfectly. Not sure how the sodium will add up for you...but if you do not have anything against pork rinds...go for it.

BTW, how were you planning on compensating for the extra calories gained from eating snacks? Are you going to take them out of your next meal, or do you have a snack or two built in to your macros. If by the end of the day, you have not snacked...add the snack back to your final two meals?

Just curious as to how you deal with the snack.
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

Originally Posted by pickitup View Post
    This diet does not seem to cater to the person who wants to take food with him for later consumption.
    yeah, i tried the cooler thing. But, in south Florida (today it was 97 out) the car gets hot quickly and food spoils after a few hours in the car.

I would go with beef jerky or pepperoni etc. which is self-sealed and doesnt go bad if unrefrigerated. But, they are high sodium.

Nuts are an obvious but also high calorie. Maybe pork rines?

Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Teacher77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it's a very high GI carb (dextrose = 100, popcorn = 57). It's not bad for PWO, but that's about all ;-) And even then, i'd rather use dextrose. But popcorn could be eaten in the first 24hrs of a carbup, before you switch to lower GI's.
    Last edited by Teacher77; 07-08-2007 at 09:28 PM.

eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eqlb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    but the weird thing is that water melon is okay on keto and water melon has high gi carbs in it....this is way too confusing :-p

Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Starky1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    unsalted almonds, or flavored if it fits into you sodium restraints

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wait wait wait.....since when has watermelon been o.k.?!?! If it's true I am going to wet my pants from glee
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No watermelon on keto. I think teacher was saying it's ok within the first 12 (not 24 teacher ) hours of a carb up
    Contest Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146273283&p=911273403&posted=1#post911273403

Twitter: FrigginLean
    YouTube: Jaim91

Unless you faint, puke, or die....keep walking
    - Jillian Michaels -

i always thought a 1/2 cup of watermelon once in a blue moon is okay...i know of its high gi crabs buts low in sugar...and the net carbs is around 11 grams...opps...

gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gctaylor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It sounds like other folks have answered your popcorn question and I would have to agree that it has too many carbs for my liking, at least on a keto diet.

The 2nd question about snack foods... I've learned to tolerate pork rinds. I couldn't stand them before but desperate times calls for desperate measures. I primarily use them on salads as a replacement for croutons and usually the salads masks the taste pretty well. Can you tell they aren't my favorite food? But they're crunchy, taste okay, and work good for a keto diet so what the heck.

I copied this nutrition info from the bulk bin where I purchase them.

Amount Per 1 oz
    Calories 160
    Total Fat 10g
    Total Carbohydrate 0g
    Protein 16g

One ounce is a lot of pork rinds. I usually eat like .25 or .50 ounce at a time.

HTH
    Gary

The Austrian Economist maxpot46's Avatar
    maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maxpot46 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sunflower Seeds are IMO the best keto snack food. They have great macros, add some fiber to my diet, and while they are technically calorie dense, I eat them one at a time and having to crack the shell means it can take about 30 minutes to go through one 200 calorie bag of them.
    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Apart from the obvious things like celery, fennel, radishes, and sugar-free jelly, another option is pork rinds.

Ok, they are high cal, based on weight, but they are so puffed you get a big portion for a few calories. I bought a bag yesterday and thought it was 300g from the size. I was amazed to find it was only 100g. I've divided it up into ten 10g portions, all 55 calories each, and pure keto.

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have a question about the pork rinds - - Every package I get mentions that though 7g of protein come with each serving, it's not a significant source of protein.

I know that rinds are skin collagen but does that affect the protein of it?
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Can't see why it would.

My packet didn't have anything like that on it. All I can think of is that the recommended portion size is too small to be significant?

Hmmm, odd. Well I hate them anyways so no I guess I don't need to worry
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Whey Protein User djshortsleeve's Avatar
    djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How long have you been on Keto? I am asking because after a couple days on keto or even other low carb diets, I lose all cravings for anything I know I am not supposed to have.

If you dont lose the cravings, I suggest varied keto-friendly veg. or unsalted slivered almonds.
    RIP raprazant
    RIP AnthonyGoldsGym
    RIP Matt Cook AKA StephenHawking
    RIP C. Griswald

ASOT crew, AA/Sober crew, Misc Cigar crew

Positivity is liberty.

Whey Protein User djshortsleeve's Avatar
    djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djshortsleeve is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    I have a question about the pork rinds - - Every package I get mentions that though 7g of protein come with each serving, it's not a significant source of protein.

I know that rinds are skin collagen but does that affect the protein of it?
    I wondered this myself. Though they are high in sodium, "A 1-ounce serving contains zero carbohydrates, 17 grams (g) of protein, and 9 g fat. That's nine times the protein and less fat than you'll find in a serving of carb-packed potato chips. Even better, 43 percent of a pork rind's fat is unsaturated, and most of that is oleic acid -- the same healthy fat found in olive oil. Another 13 percent of its fat content is stearic acid, a type of saturated fat that's considered harmless, because it doesn't raise cholesterol levels."
    RIP raprazant
    RIP AnthonyGoldsGym
    RIP Matt Cook AKA StephenHawking
    RIP C. Griswald

ASOT crew, AA/Sober crew, Misc Cigar crew

Positivity is liberty.

incognito129 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) incognito129 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) incognito129 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) incognito129 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) incognito129 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Stop dreaming and eat some steaks.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^ It's b/c Collagen is not a complete source of protein(ie: missing or deficient in one or more essential amino acids).

907SushiLover is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pork rinds.