frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Plant vs. whey protein

First off...I am not vegetarian, let alone vegan...I have come to crave meat.

But, I stopped into my local nutrition place the other day and there was a couple there with samples(yay!). It is vegan, organic, blah, blah. And a GREAT saleman. I did actually buy a meal replacement product and pre-workout product...not necessarily because its 'vegan' but because there is no crash or crazy crap in it, and the meal replacement has 100% of all vit/minerals...nice.

Anyways, he had mentioned that plant based protein was 'more' absorbed by us humans than whey. Any truth to this? Because if i'm drinkin 120cals worth of whey to, ahem, excrete most of it, that sucks!

If anyone is quite knowledgable about this and wants the website(don't want to peddle anything here) I can send it to ya. I compared the bcaa's etc of this plant protein vs. my whey and it 'seems' similar...some more bcaa, some less.

thx for stopping by....

53 Miles West of Venus Human Rocket's Avatar
    Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000) Human Rocket is just really nice. (+1000)
    Some people don't digest whey very well. If whey bloats you then a plant or egg based protein might be a good alternative. But to say it's strictly superior to whey is probably bunk.

What kind of plant based protein was it? Soy and pea are the ones I know of but there may be others.
    And there's a plague of locusts upon us
    And there's a nightmare in the swarm
    And there's a lion out in the desert
    Slouching towards Bethlehem to be born again
    Backstreet's back alright... Alright...

frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) frogisco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thx for your thoughts.

It has pea, hemp, alfalfa, Spirulina....among some other goodies.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by frogisco View Post
    First off...I am not vegetarian, let alone vegan...I have come to crave meat.

But, I stopped into my local nutrition place the other day and there was a couple there with samples(yay!). It is vegan, organic, blah, blah. And a GREAT saleman. I did actually buy a meal replacement product and pre-workout product...not necessarily because its 'vegan' but because there is no crash or crazy crap in it, and the meal replacement has 100% of all vit/minerals...nice.

Anyways, he had mentioned that plant based protein was 'more' absorbed by us humans than whey. Any truth to this? Because if i'm drinkin 120cals worth of whey to, ahem, excrete most of it, that sucks!

If anyone is quite knowledgable about this and wants the website(don't want to peddle anything here) I can send it to ya. I compared the bcaa's etc of this plant protein vs. my whey and it 'seems' similar...some more bcaa, some less.

thx for stopping by....
    What's important about a protein source is whether it's complete or not. That means whether it's an adequate source of all 9 essential amino acids. Protein from animal sources is usually complete, while plant protein with the exception of soy isolate, is not (please knowledgeable people feel free to correct me on this). Of course you can combine complementary vegetable proteins to make it complete, but many of us don't want to go through the trouble and just use a complete protein instead.
    Now, as for what your salesperson told you. First I am not sure what he means by "crash". Protein has a low glycemic index so I don't see why he mentioned a crash. As for containing vitamins and minerals, if your diet is balanced you shouldn't need to take additional vitamins and minerals. If you do need them vitamins and minerals don't necessarily have to come into the protein powder, you can also take a multi-vitamin. Regardless, this depends on the product, not on the source of protein. Vegetables have to be refined to turn them into protein powder, which usually strips them of their vitamins (some vitamins can be very fragile and susceptible to temperature changes). The vitamins and minerals in the products they showed you was very probably added afterwards, something which can be done with any other protein powder really.
    As for digestibility, there actually is a scientific index called Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score. The top scoring proteins are casein, egg white, soy, and whey (all with top score of 1)
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    What's important about a protein source is whether it's complete or not. That means whether it's an adequate source of all 9 essential amino acids. Protein from animal sources is usually complete, while plant protein with the exception of soy isolate, is not (please knowledgeable people feel free to correct me on this). Of course you can combine complementary vegetable proteins to make it complete, but many of us don't want to go through the trouble and just use a complete protein instead.
    Now, as for what your salesperson told you. First I am not sure what he means by "crash". Protein has a low glycemic index so I don't see why he mentioned a crash. As for containing vitamins and minerals, if your diet is balanced you shouldn't need to take additional vitamins and minerals. If you do need them vitamins and minerals don't necessarily have to come into the protein powder, you can also take a multi-vitamin. Regardless, this depends on the product, not on the source of protein. Vegetables have to be refined to turn them into protein powder, which usually strips them of their vitamins (some vitamins can be very fragile and susceptible to temperature changes). The vitamins and minerals in the products they showed you was very probably added afterwards, something which can be done with any other protein powder really.
    As for digestibility, there actually is a scientific index called Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score. The top scoring proteins are casein, egg white, soy, and whey (all with top score of 1)

Thx for your reply.

I must have mis spoke here a bit.....I purchased a PRE w/o product of this particular line that has no crash(have tried other thing-ies before and really felt lousy after). He didn't imply that protein made one crash.
    I also got a complete meal replacement....I feel i'm not getting all the vitamins and minerals I should from foods(doh!). Thought i'd try this instead of a multivitamin....and it doubles as my breakfast now.

Just curious about this type of veggie protein...according to the documentation it is complete with all the essential bcas's, and a few other goodies.

mdp88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by frogisco View Post
    Thx for your reply.

I must have mis spoke here a bit.....I purchased a PRE w/o product of this particular line that has no crash(have tried other thing-ies before and really felt lousy after). He didn't imply that protein made one crash.
    I also got a complete meal replacement....I feel i'm not getting all the vitamins and minerals I should from foods(doh!). Thought i'd try this instead of a multivitamin....and it doubles as my breakfast now.

Just curious about this type of veggie protein...according to the documentation it is complete with all the essential bcas's, and a few other goodies.

I know exactly what product you are talking about... Please be advised, a "meal replacement" supplement is NEVER a true meal replacement. These products are syntheticly made (lab made) in order to be viewed has having 50-100% of your daily vitamins/minerals. This is done by spraying synthetically made vitamins over the powder. However, when you ingest the powder, your body does not reconize these ingredients and simply pees it right out. Just like a multi-vitamin tablet... Best way to get your daily dose of vitamins... that's right... you need to EAT foods that contain HIGH % of each catagory. Eating a well-balanced diet will insure your body to absorbe all the nutrients you need on a day to day basis. A good supplement if you feel like your deprived from these vitamins are superfoods. Look them up to see which is best for you.

Now... as for the difference between whey and plant based proteins. Whey protein gets absorbed 94-97% while the remaining amount is waste and takes 1.5 hours to complete its route through the digestive tract. Not enough evidence has been made to determine if that is a good thing or not. However, it is high in acid based amino acids which can prolong your recovery time after an intense workout! Plant based protein gets absorbed 78-84% with the rest as waste. Plant based protein contains a MUCH higher concentration of minerals and vitamins. Hemp is a complete protein source, in fact one of the ONLY foods on this planet that has ALL 9 essential amino acids PLUS non-essential amino acids and has a high dose of fiber. Best product is one that has both. The best of both protein worlds.