idontno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Why cant i get stronger?

HI, Ive been hitting the gym 2-3 times a week for a while now( like 6 months) and im not getting any stronger.... My goal is to get bigger and stronger then cut down later but im unable to get bigger...

I do 1 day Chest + shoulders that includes:
    Bench Press 5 reps 5 sets
    decline dumbell press - 5x5
    incline bench press- 5x5
    military press - 6x3
    dumbell press - 6x3
    Fly's - 8x3

Second day , couple days later in the week ARms ( biceps/tri's, forarms)
    preacher curls ( 1 handed) 6 reps x 3 sets
    Preacher curls ( 2 handed) 6 reps x 3 sets
    hammer Curls 6 reps x 3 sets
    2 handed Tricep Extension 7 reps x 4 sets
    1 hand tricep extension 7 reps x 4 sets
    Dips 25 reps 3 sets

I usually do a minimal abb workout after each workout day but i want to know what im not lifting more, or getting any bigger. I know i should probably do legs but my goal is chest and arms at the moment.

I wouldnt say im new to working out but im obviously doing something wrong, if you can tell me what i should include ( and why) that would be extremely helpful, Thanks!

alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexkoch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey man,

i dunno if you left it out or not..but you gotta do Back work too.

thrown in deadlifts, bent over rows and some pull ups.

and you gotta squat. I dunno i doubt squats can replace a leg workout, but maybe each time you workout, start with a few sets of squats like 3x5. you gotta hit everything to grow. You cant target chest and arms and neglect the rest cause you wont see change.

and obviously you gotta eat a lot too, try to keep it clean but get a calorie surplus goin and you'll start seeing results in weeks.

Also try cut out some of your isolation exercises like flies, you dont need them now and you have a little too much volume in your routine. Get deads and squats in there eat right and you should be good.

tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tFan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    more compound workout
    Squat
    Deadlift
    pullup
    benchpress
    or olympic cleans
    also if you lift heavy you'll get stronger and if u do girly weights but alota rep you wont get nothing but endurance

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by idontno View Post
    I wouldnt say im new to working out
    You are new. It's fine though. You don't have to workout legs, but I recommend it because you can have more growth hormones through compound lifts (specifically deadlifts and squats.)

As far as no strength increases on your lifts, make sure you are really focusing on progressive overload. This means that you need to try to increase your lifts from last session. For example, if you benched 185x5 last week, try either 185x6, or 190x5. There are better examples for progressive overload.

SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100)
    It looks like you're doing too much on day 1 and day 2, well, you can do other exercises that will work more than just your biceps.

Like most people have said, biceps are mainly for show. If you want to get bigger and stronger, do something else.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Why cant i get stronger?

Because you don't have a program.

That list of exercises you cobbled together is just pissing around with the weights. And neglecting squats and deads is a mortal sin. There is a special place in hell reserved for you, unless you mend your ways.

If you want to get stronger, you've got to:

1. Focus on the big basic barbell moves in your profile above your goals.

2. Get your scheduled workset reps in good form after your warmups.

3. Reward yourself by adding a tad of iron next session.

4. Repeat until you can't gain any more from "linear progression".

5. Eat a calorie surplus to help the gains keep coming for months on end.

By then you'll be much stronger and more muscular.

To illustrate, thousands of novices routinely add 2 plates a side to the bar in squats and deads in around three months on Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. That's 180lbs, and they don't complain about not getting stronger.

Even if you don't do SS, buy the book so you'll do any RATIONAL program, which should have the key features described above, right.

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^^^ this. pure and simple
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves…" - Dao de Ching

The biggest secret in life is not that we go through life discovering ourselves but that we go through life creating our selves. Think about that.