BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Sharp forearm pain while curling

Hey, I've been lifting for about 3 years, recently I've been curling with the EZ curl bar in my gym, I get this painful sharp pain on the outer part of my forearm, where you can feel your bone. It just comes out of no where, and hurts doing other workouts also that involves forearm strength. Does anyone know what this is called? I've tried googling it but all I get is a bunch of kids that don't know what they're talking about.

Thanks for your time

KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000)
    Forearm splints? **** happens. Try using cable curls with a rope attachment for a little while and see if it subsides. If so, might be positioning on wrist/hand on bar, your grip is weak, jerking up weights awkwardly, etc.
    Started @ 2009 - 335 LBS & 37% BF
    Now @ 2014 - 210 LBS & 11% BF

"Get what you like so you're not stuck having to like what you get."
    "Ghime? What's a ghime?" *Homer walks into the gym* "Oh, haha...a GHIME."

BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoy2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KarmicEffects View Post
    Forearm splints? **** happens. Try using cable curls for a little while and see if it subsides. If so, might be positioning on wrist, your grip is weak, jerking up weights awkwardly, etc.
    My grip is pretty strong I guess, Maybe it's forearm splints. It hurts more doing light weight curls, but feels a little bit better going heavy like in the 100s. And thanks

edit: still hurts like a B**tch with cable curls lol

KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BigBoy2011 View Post
    My grip is pretty strong I guess, Maybe it's forearm splints. It hurts more doing light weight curls, but feels a little bit better going heavy like in the 100s. And thanks
    Does it hurt more during or does most of the pain strike when you are releasing your grip on the bar?

kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah i discovered the same thing after a few years, first started with curls, then noticed it on bent over rows ect. untill it really started getting painfull. I thought it might have been something to do with the tendons or ligaments, thats what i felt like anyway.. I ended up running a cycle of animal flex with orange triad and just rested forearms as much as possible for a few months.. i zoned in and out of lifting month on month off due to other reason but im back at it hard now and havent had any other issues, so i'd say just go easy on them and rest the forearms for a little while.. i dont know if animal flex helped or not but anything that helps with tendons, ligaments ect. could help

kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kwaka100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does it hurt more during or does most of the pain strike when you are releasing your grip on the bar?
    Not stealing the thread, but when i had it it was sore lowering the bar (curls) but then was most sharp when releasing the bar- just interested to know what this means?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First -- you shouldn't be gripping too tightly.

Second -- take a break from BB/EZ bar curls. Focus on DB if it doesn't cause the issue.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

edit: still hurts like a B**tch with cable curls lol
    Yeah, it will for a little while why you should do it for a week or 2 to see if it goes away. I know I get nasty splints when do incline press dumbbell too often so I maybe stop doing them every 2 months for a week and it's usually gone.

Yeah, it will for a little while why you should do it for a week or 2 to see if it goes away. I know I get nasty splints when do incline press dumbbell too often so I maybe stop doing them every 2 months for a week and it's usually gone.
    Hurts a lot when curling, but hurts a fu** lot more putting down the bar, And @Djauto, Dumbbell curls arent as bad so i guess i'll stick with those for a bit.

Thanks guys

AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdrianPerry is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I went to the doctor about this problem and they were adamant it was down to RSI (repetitive strain) because I work in IT and spend most of the day at a computer.

The small repetitive movements from typing, followed by the big heavy movements from lifting weights causes a sudden stretch that my forearm isn't necessarily used to. I had been lifting before hand however and it was only since I started using the EZ bar this pain occurred.

I've tried taking time off from bicep exercise, increase protein intake, and each time the pain has come back.

The only thing that really seems to have worked is taking it easy, once the pain kicks in, stop curling because if you push it too hard, I found I got huge pains shooting down my forearms even when doing simple things like pushing a door open (this is what prompted me to visit the doc in the first place). Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen seemed to help too.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, do you squeeze your glutes and tighten your abs when curling? See if that helps. Also, you need to strengthen your forearms and take a break from curling.

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    First -- you shouldn't be gripping too tightly.
    I heard that you should squeeze the bar as hard as possible in order to recruit more muscle fibres.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    I heard that you should squeeze the bar as hard as possible in order to recruit more muscle fibres.
    Where did you hear this?

Just in-case...In b4 DJAuto doesn't get sarcasm.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    Pavel Tsatsouline's Beyond Bodybuilding.

You should be squeezing the bar for any power lift, not as important for isolation. Deads, Squats, Bench, etc you should be gripping that bar 100% to prep your body for the weight, esp. in 5-1 rep ranges. If you are having issue more so with the release, then it is probably just strained. Try the cables for a little while and see what happens. Stay away from locked-position bar curls for a week or two. Like I said, my forearm gets ****ed if I do incline dumbbell presses too often from whipping up the weight to my knees (I don't like standing-drop to the bench...just personal thing) and the wrist pressure in general from the lift, so one week out of 2 months is worth avoiding the pain.

Registered User kyazwldctspride's Avatar
    kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyazwldctspride will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, I've been lifting for about 3 years, recently I've been curling with the EZ curl bar in my gym, I get this painful sharp pain on the outer part of my forearm, where you can feel your bone. It just comes out of no where, and hurts doing other workouts also that involves forearm strength. Does anyone know what this is called? I've tried googling it but all I get is a bunch of kids that don't know what they're talking about.

Thanks for your time

Had this same problem. Switch your grips when doing your curls. My doctor said its like shin splints in the forearms. So instead of your palm facing up, try overhand curls or hammer curls. That should help, at least it did for me. I did that for about a month and now I am fine.

LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LSXdr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have the same pain bro. I quit doing biceps for about 6 months and the pain is still there. I just lift super super light now lol

GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GunBurn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wish I could give you the sources, but have read that the ez curl is unatural and can cause pain in SOME cases. I had this problem and switched to straight with a thumbs out grip and it helped, then went back to regular grip.
    Gun

Pavel Tsatsouline's Beyond Bodybuilding.

Thanks for posting the reference.

The type of grip that Pavel is referring to is different from what I alluded to. I meant gripping it so tightly as to cause injury to the wrist, not a firm grip as mentioned in the excerpt.

OP, do you squeeze your glutes and tighten your abs when curling? See if that helps. Also, you need to strengthen your forearms and take a break from curling.

Yeah, I do, Bend my knees a bit and keep my back kinda tight. Thanks everyone for the input, I tried to scratch my back with my left arm and my left forearm went into some deep deep pain .. For a couple of hours .. ow