mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000)

Adapting Coan/Phillipi to a squat routine?

Has anyone adapted the Coan/Phillipi deadlift routine for squats? I've tried the Coan peaking routine for squats but felt that when the weights moved out of the high rep into the heavier sets that the weight felt heavier than it should (since the previous weeks were dealing with high reps and low weights). Tentatively, I've swapped the exercises as:

Deadlift -> Squat
    Speed Pulls -> Pause Squats
    * Power Shrug -> Oly Squat
    ** Stiff-Leg -> Pin Squat
    ** Bent Rows -> Front Squat
    ** Lat Pulldown -> Rack Squat
    ** Good Morning -> Box Squat

The ** are the circuit exercises from C/P and * comes in week 5. Just curious what people think, if this pseudo-program might work. I like the periodization and rep scheme from C/P and want to see if I can use that as a template to improve my squat before attempting a full 13 week Smolov cycle around Thanksgiving.
    My log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144840161&page=3

407/226/457 @ 128.0 at 2013 USAPL MO State / Ozarks
    342/210/435 @ 120.8 at 2012 Arnold Sports Festival Raw Challenge

[ Misc Strength Crew ] [ Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs ]

Registered User tatortotajigalo's Avatar
    tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000) tatortotajigalo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Cycle the routine on and off with smolov. But never use your actual max. For smolov, go about 50 pounds below the max. For c/p only make your goal around 10 pounds.

This is only if you are going to run them repeatedly. If you can't, you can split up smolov to where you do the squats 2x a week, or even modify it to your needs and run it once a week. Obviously this is not the same principal as Smolov, but the idea is still the same and the variation of volume and intensity is a powerlifting work of art.
    Owner of Southern Style Trucks - Houston, Texas.
    Let me know if you need any after market accessories for your vehicle of any make/model and I will let you know if I can get it. We're also a diesel performance and repair facility.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mkal View Post
    Has anyone adapted the Coan/Phillipi deadlift routine for squats? I've tried the Coan peaking routine for squats but felt that when the weights moved out of the high rep into the heavier sets that the weight felt heavier than it should (since the previous weeks were dealing with high reps and low weights). Tentatively, I've swapped the exercises as:

Deadlift -> Squat

The ** are the circuit exercises from C/P and * comes in week 5. Just curious what people think, if this pseudo-program might work. I like the periodization and rep scheme from C/P and want to see if I can use that as a template to improve my squat before attempting a full 13 week Smolov cycle around Thanksgiving.

my first observation is....so you are going to be doing 5-6 different types of squat each workout??
    "Humility comes before honor"

mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000) mkal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    my first observation is....so you are going to be doing 5-6 different types of squat each workout??
    Correct ... not saying it's gonna be fun. I figure this would be a good 'intro' prior to a full Smolov cycle, even if this is only 1xWeek. The assistance squat exercises are all ones I've used before that have helped. Pause for explosiveness, pin for working walkout, fronts for form and core work, rack for lockout, and box for general assistance.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Correct ... not saying it's gonna be fun. I figure this would be a good 'intro' prior to a full Smolov cycle, even if this is only 1xWeek. The assistance squat exercises are all ones I've used before that have helped. Pause for explosiveness, pin for working walkout, fronts for form and core work, rack for lockout, and box for general assistance.
    if u survive it might be ok, lol. Then again, if u are going to prepare for smolov, why not at least squat 2x per week? going from 1x to a smolov would seem to be a big jump....then again, it might be good for variety like Tator mentioned

I would just make sure that whatever you do, you dont beat yourself up just before going INTO a smolov
    "Humility comes before honor"

Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    if u survive it might be ok, lol. Then again, if u are going to prepare for smolov, why not at least squat 2x per week? going from 1x to a smolov would seem to be a big jump....then again, it might be good for variety like Tator mentioned

I would just make sure that whatever you do, you dont beat yourself up just before going INTO a smolov
    I'd be running this the same time as doing C/P for deadlifts, so squatting 2xWeek wouldn't really give me much time to recover for deadlifts (and doing smolov jr for bench) in addition to the cardio I do. Doing the full smolov cycle of 13 weeks would give me the intro cycle which has the lighter 3xWeek so I should be ok before starting the base and intense cycle. That intro cycle would also give me a little bit of rest compared to this and the base cycle I think.

TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000) TurtleApe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I tried it once, here was my adaptation
    Week 2
    Squat (80%): 1x2 @
    Speed Squat (65%): 8x3 @ (90 sec rest b/w sets)
    3 circuits (rest 90sec between exercises, 2-3 minutes between circuits):
    * * * * * * Lunges: 8 reps
    * * * * * * Leg Press: 8 reps
    * * * * * * GHR: 8 reps
    * * * * * * Arched back good morning: 8 reps
    You can always be thinner, look better.
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/flyinghippo5000

Originally Posted by TurtleApe View Post
    I tried it once, here was my adaptation
    How was it? How much did you gain on your squat? Anything you'd change to yours or mine?

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)

Deadlift -> Squat

I think a ton of the benefit of the c/p deadlift routine comes form the assistance hammering your grip, lats, lower back and hamstrings. It really looks like you just replaced the assistance circuit with different types of squats done after heavy squats and speed squats. Seems like a recipe for burn out to me, not to mention the fact that to complete a circuit like that you would need to hog about 3 squat racks.

If you are planning on doing anything like this look at the assistance circuit a bit closer, use it as they do for the deadlift version and really hammer assistance muscles and lifts without destroying the capability of performing the main lift. Hams, core, quads can all be worked without doing any type of squat for the circuit.