Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question New to Figure Competition: Need help on how to diet!!

Hello all, I just made my bodyspace today, and I have a goal to compete in 2011. The thing is, this is all new to me, and I would like as much helpful information on dieting as I can get. My husband is a Bodybuilder, but his knowledge of nutrition is generally geared for male bodybuilders. If any woman out there have competed I would really appreciate your advice on how to approach a figure competition nutrition wise.

I am 5' 0'' tall, and my weight is currently fluctuating between 120 and 130lbs. I have had two kids, and having them I feel has destroyed what I thought was a very nice figure. The show I want to do is in 23 weeks from today. Any advice on how I should approach putting together a diet to get me dialed in would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
    "If you let what others are doing influence what you do, you really have nothing left of yourself."

- Layne Norton

alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10) alyssa.super is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face

I actually follow my husband's meal plan we eat the same things I just eat less. It makes it a lot easier on making food for the week and all that. I have started to decrease my cals as of now just to help elleviate some excess weight I might have so I am currently eating from about 1400-1700 depending on how I feel, but that is only until the holidays and around that time I am not going to worry about weight. For competition I will just start with about 1600 cals and just decrease from there, also we do low carb so my macro count is what changes the most. A lot of people on here have different opinions on how things should be done, personally you should either follow your husband's diet or hire someone to help you out. Low carb/Low fat is what I find to work the best for dieting but that is me. Since it is your first show you should trust your husband to help you and if he doesn't want to insist on a diet consult from someone!

Good Luck!
    <-sUper - - <3

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=604015083&posted=1#post604015083

LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile

I don't know a whole lot about competing in BB, but from what I've read in this forum for the last week or so it takes about 2 years to get in the right shape to compete, not saying it can't be done but why not get a smaller goal first... jus sayin'

drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) drumchick34 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I honestly think you should wait and work on building for a while. Especially since this is all new to you.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by drumchick34 View Post
    I honestly think you should wait and work on building for a while. Especially since this is all new to you.
    ^ this. I would wait.

You mention your body has been 'destroyed' - and this is NO way to start out a competition prep.... Just like any other sport - you need to 'practice', 'trial things out', and 'learn the rules', before you can compete.

Get your basics down - start by reading the stickies on nutrition up the top of the forum (and the posts linked within these), and educate yourself on what is what when it comes to food.

Train hard.

Rest enough.

Give yourself TIME to respond.

Once you are confident in managing things on a daily basis, and once you are at a level your BODY is prepared for a comp - then consider taking it to the next step.

ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaliaPrincess has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have seen more extreme transformations than what I am trying to do on here and by people Ive seen in person. Given that, I do believe it's possible. I don't expect to be BIG but I know I can be LEAN. I just wanted to know:

• What a typical diet looks like for a figure girl
    • How to calculate my calories, how I should go about reducing
    • What macro-nutrient ratio’s are best
    • Ideas on cardio, how much/when

The reason I started the thread was to learn about dieting from the source, as opposed to thumbing through a million threads and articles (you have to admit there's a lot of conflicting information out there)

Thanks all for you input
    "If you let what others are doing influence what you do, you really have nothing left of yourself."

- Layne Norton

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ItaliaPrincess View Post
    I have seen more extreme transformations than what I am trying to do on here and by people Ive seen in person. Given that, I do believe it's possible. I don't expect to be BIG but I know I can be LEAN. I just wanted to know:

• What a typical diet looks like for a figure girl
    • How to calculate my calories, how I should go about reducing
    • What macro-nutrient ratio’s are best
    • Ideas on cardio, how much/when

The reason I started the thread was to learn about dieting from the source, as opposed to thumbing through a million threads and articles (you have to admit there's a lot of conflicting information out there)

Thanks all for you input
    1. figure diets vary depending on the person, their training status, their training, how lean they are, their insulin sensitivity, their weight, their personal choice, and any allergies or food restrictions they might have.

2. check the sticky - 'calculating calorie and macronutrients'
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703921
    It goes through what you need step by step

3. ratio's are useless. go by what your body needs in terms of GRAMS. Check the sticky linked above for more information.

4. cardio - as little as you can get away with.

See - this is where you are looking for something that doesn't exist. There is no 'one' answer to 'what a figure girl needs'. It should be 'what YOU need' - both for DIET and for TRAINING. And working out how YOUR body responds to given diets/ training/ cardio should be something you do BEFORE you prepare for a contest.

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hello all, I just made my bodyspace today, and I have a goal to compete in 2011. The thing is, this is all new to me, and I would like as much helpful information on dieting as I can get. My husband is a Bodybuilder, but his knowledge of nutrition is generally geared for male bodybuilders. If any woman out there have competed I would really appreciate your advice on how to approach a figure competition nutrition wise.

I am 5' 0'' tall, and my weight is currently fluctuating between 120 and 130lbs. I have had two kids, and having them I feel has destroyed what I thought was a very nice figure. The show I want to do is in 23 weeks from today. Any advice on how I should approach putting together a diet to get me dialed in would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
    You don't go from having a "destroyed" body to the stage in 23 weeks and do any sort of well. WHY does everyone think they have to show in order to get a nice physique????

You are perfectly clueless about dieting and training and yet you think that you can do a show in less than a half year? Getting on the stage for compeition is NOT ust about dropping scale weight until you are "lean" enough. It is about having a good base as well. It takes YEARS (not months) to build a good base. It also takes a goodly amount of time for people to learn enough about nutrition to go on stage in a health manner.

YES, you have seen people do it but what you don't see is that IF they did well at all (most of the time people don't make it lean enough) they do it from STUPID dieting and they end up crashing and binging and having all sorts of issues from doing the show. Futhermore they oftne end up screwing up their health and metabolism.

I would suggest that you hire someone at the very least but honestly no credible trainer would attempt to put you on stage in that amount of time.

Good luck... (sigh)

^^^ On the note of hiring someone. Your hubs used to work with Layne, right?
    And I know you are both fans of his. So why not use this as an opportunity to work with him?As mentioned above, at least he will give you some good basic nutrition/ training advice....

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I know where you are coming from. You think that if you can just lose the fat that you should have enough muscle under there so you can compete in 23 weeks.

Please take my advice and take at least a year to build up muscle. It is not fun coming in last place because you are ill prepared and just too soft to compete.

I was in the SAME mindset you are in now when i came in. I too wanted to do a show in a couple of months. Check my body space and look at my pics. You are only 2 inches taller than me but about 15 - 20 pounds heavier than me when i started. Check out my pics and then tell me you will not be the exact same.

I also hired some of the best coaches in the industry. I had the correct diet and training plan and followed it meticulously. And still I was not ready to do a show (and still am not, though seeing some great improvements i think.)

It has taken me 10 months of HARD training for me even to BEGIN seeing my bicep/delt separation (those are totally important in figure). This is not something that happens in a few weeks. It is month after month of hard work and eating right, constantly counting calories and macros, waiting to even see the slightest results in muscle built.

The diet as others have said, depends on a lot of factors. The first step is to read the stickies as have been noted. "Clean" up your diet. Get rid of all, and I do mean all, junk food, eat fruits and veggies, whole grains, complex carbs and lean meats. Cheat meal is allowed once a week and closer to a show, not at all.

Training is done 5- 6 times a week with lifting, cardio and stretching. Lifting is as heavy as can be, There will be days you will hurt from head to toe, but you gotta keep going, There will be days you dont want to work out, too bad you have to anyways. There will be days where you question everything about why you are doing this and why anyone would want to put themselves through it. You will slip, you will have good days and bad days.
    This is not something to be taken lightly. This is a lifestyle and a durn hard one at that. I tell people all the time, it is easy to be fat. you dont have to think about it at all. It is harder to be healthy and fit. It takes work, effort and time. Results are not seen everyday or even every month.

I am sorry but 23 weeks is not enough time to take you from "destroyed" to stage. That is my professional and personal opinion. You need a lot of time to 1) take off the fat and 2) build the muscle that figure requires.

I really do wish you well, this is not an easy path. But I do believe you would be a lot happier if you took the correct route and put the show off to 2012. That is also, at this point, my own projected date at which i will look at doing some serious shows (I will also be in america again, yay!).

Everyone here really is giving you the best advice they can. Wait and you will be happier. Do you really want to step on stage and have the audience whispering and wondering why you even showed up?? Do you really want to look at the other girls knowing you will not beat them and will end up in the bottom of the class?? Do you really want your resume of shows to read 15th (or lower) place??? Do you really want to go through hell and come to the show looking like it??
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

dianelabant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Just Do It!

The ONE thing I would say to you is - You CAN do it. People are always saying, "Oh, you should start with a smaller goal" Forget that- DREAM BIG. You only live once! I have been told all my life, "It can't be done". Yes it can. You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to.(My daughter says, well, you can't fly & I say, yes I can, just not like a bird, but in a plane). You can. Get motivated, stay motivated. Google, "Motivational Songs", one guy lists top songs-great websight. Keep your head up, focus on the goal. You can only see the OBSTACLES --- if you take your eye off the goal.
    You CAN do it.
    YOU can do it.
    You can DO it.
    You can do IT,
    so get out there & Just Do It!!
    Best of Luck.
    Stay strong - keep motivated.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dianelabant View Post
    The ONE thing I would say to you is - You CAN do it. People are always saying, "Oh, you should start with a smaller goal" Forget that- DREAM BIG. You only live once! I have been told all my life, "It can't be done". Yes it can. You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to.(My daughter says, well, you can't fly & I say, yes I can, just not like a bird, but in a plane). You can. Get motivated, stay motivated. Google, "Motivational Songs", one guy lists top songs-great websight. Keep your head up, focus on the goal. You can only see the OBSTACLES --- if you take your eye off the goal.
    You CAN do it.
    YOU can do it.
    You can DO it.
    You can do IT,
    Best of Luck.

I never said she could not compete. I am advising her to wait since i know exactly how she feels now and know how she will feel in 23 weeks we she wont measure up to the girls who have been doing this for years. Like I said, its not fun or easy to line up with your class knowing you are going to be last, hearing your name called for last place in the comp after you have done all that work to get ready.

She really would be happier with herself, the process and the results if she waits a year or two.

I am saying this as someone who has been exactly where she is, done exactly what she is wanting to do and is now older and wiser about the process.

I am not unhappy about my first show, but it put a lot of things into prespective for me and now I wont go on a real stage until i am ready. That may be 2012 or 2013. It depends.

But like I said, if she doesnt believe it will take a while, she is welcome to look at my pics showing my 10 month progress. She wont be far enough along in 23 weeks to do anything. Sure she could do the show, but it proves nothing, she wont be lean enough, she wont have enough muscle.

Its people like this that sends unprepared girls into the show with the mindset that they can do it and win. If people were encouraged to wait and do the proper training, it wouldnt be so much of a joke. But this is at least the third time I have seen someone on this board tell a newb that in a few weeks time, they too can be stage ready.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dianelabant View Post
    You CAN do it.
    YOU can do it.
    You can DO it.
    You can do IT,
    Best of Luck.
    I'm certainly not going to argue with a positive attitude, but ....

this just reminded me of an interview I heard yesterday. Recently Denmark was determined to be the country where the populace is the happiest. In the interview, Eric Weiner, the author of The Geography of Bliss, was asked what he thought contributed to their happiness. His response was that they are, in general, people who are very content with more realistic expectations; it isn't necessary to set huge, unattainable goals. In fact, it's a hindrance. The US, where people generally have very high expectations, was way low on the happiness scale. Guess why!

Anyway, like I said, don't want to argue with looking on the bright side and reaching for the stars and all that, but really *realistic* goals will make you a lot happier than failing to reach an unrealistic one. Baby steps and all that.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by thedogdidit; 10-24-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added author's name

jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagadzie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    I never said she could not compete. I am advising her to wait since i know exactly how she feels now and know how she will feel in 23 weeks we she wont measure up to the girls who have been doing this for years. Like I said, its not fun or easy to line up with your class knowing you are going to be last, hearing your name called for last place in the comp after you have done all that work to get ready.

She really would be happier with herself, the process and the results if she waits a year or two.

I am saying this as someone who has been exactly where she is, done exactly what she is wanting to do and is now older and wiser about the process.

I am not unhappy about my first show, but it put a lot of things into prespective for me and now I wont go on a real stage until i am ready. That may be 2012 or 2013. It depends.

But like I said, if she doesnt believe it will take a while, she is welcome to look at my pics showing my 10 month progress. She wont be far enough along in 23 weeks to do anything. Sure she could do the show, but it proves nothing, she wont be lean enough, she wont have enough muscle.

Its people like this that sends unprepared girls into the show with the mindset that they can do it and win. If people were encouraged to wait and do the proper training, it wouldnt be so much of a joke. But this is at least the third time I have seen someone on this board tell a newb that in a few weeks time, they too can be stage ready.
    agree with everything you said. doesn't really make sense at all and isn't exactly a winning ticket to happiness.

OP, take your time, you'll need it. and good luck, when the time comes.

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This mindset that anybody can do a figure competition is just plain wrong.
    I mean, of course anybody can enter, but that doesn't mean that this person is any good.

First and foremost, good genetics are important. Ability to build muscle and even fat distribution would be quite nice in this sport.

Second, this shouldn't be just about dieting down and stepping on a stage in a bikini. Real figure athletes lift heavy and have been training for a few years at least.

Third, correct dieting and healthy mindset are very important. A lot of girls go on crash diets to compete, ruin their metabolism, start binging (possibly, develop EDs) and create threads: Why did I gain 30 pounds post-competition?

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It seems like you are under the impression that a figure competition is a diet competition - it is not - diet is used as a tool to reveal the muscle, symmetry, etc of the body.

Your profile says you've started working out last month. If that is true, then you would in no way have the physique required for any figure competition.

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    ^^^ On the note of hiring someone. Your hubs used to work with Layne, right?
    And I know you are both fans of his. So why not use this as an opportunity to work with him?As mentioned above, at least he will give you some good basic nutrition/ training advice....
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    1. figure diets vary depending on the person, their training status, their training, how lean they are, their insulin sensitivity, their weight, their personal choice, and any allergies or food restrictions they might have.

2. check the sticky - 'calculating calorie and macronutrients'
    It goes through what you need step by step

3. ratio's are useless. go by what your body needs in terms of GRAMS. Check the sticky linked above for more information.

4. cardio - as little as you can get away with.

See - this is where you are looking for something that doesn't exist. There is no 'one' answer to 'what a figure girl needs'. It should be 'what YOU need' - both for DIET and for TRAINING. And working out how YOUR body responds to given diets/ training/ cardio should be something you do BEFORE you prepare for a contest.
    I checked out the sticky and it was very helpful, thank you . The whole idea behind doing the show was having a deadline for myself, and also Ive been going to shows for years and had always dreamed of getting up there. I would like to attempt a prep and just see how my body responds, after a month or two if things aren't shaping up the way they need to be I'll know I need to back out.

As far as working with Layne, he's rather pricey, and out of my range at the time being.

- Layne Norton

Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post
    You don't go from having a "destroyed" body to the stage in 23 weeks and do any sort of well. WHY does everyone think they have to show in order to get a nice physique????

You are perfectly clueless about dieting and training and yet you think that you can do a show in less than a half year? Getting on the stage for compeition is NOT ust about dropping scale weight until you are "lean" enough. It is about having a good base as well. It takes YEARS (not months) to build a good base. It also takes a goodly amount of time for people to learn enough about nutrition to go on stage in a health manner.

YES, you have seen people do it but what you don't see is that IF they did well at all (most of the time people don't make it lean enough) they do it from STUPID dieting and they end up crashing and binging and having all sorts of issues from doing the show. Futhermore they oftne end up screwing up their health and metabolism.

I would suggest that you hire someone at the very least but honestly no credible trainer would attempt to put you on stage in that amount of time.

Good luck... (sigh)
    Destroyed was an exaggeration I would say, I used to model and that was after my first baby. The second one probably did the most damage, but I am a firm believer in hard work in getting those areas to firm up. As I said previously, I just want to take a crack at doing a show, if I really don't look the way I want AND I can't bring a competitive package I would opt out of the show.

- Layne Norton

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    I know where you are coming from. You think that if you can just lose the fat that you should have enough muscle under there so you can compete in 23 weeks.

Please take my advice and take at least a year to build up muscle. It is not fun coming in last place because you are ill prepared and just too soft to compete.

I was in the SAME mindset you are in now when i came in. I too wanted to do a show in a couple of months. Check my body space and look at my pics. You are only 2 inches taller than me but about 15 - 20 pounds heavier than me when i started. Check out my pics and then tell me you will not be the exact same.

I also hired some of the best coaches in the industry. I had the correct diet and training plan and followed it meticulously. And still I was not ready to do a show (and still am not, though seeing some great improvements i think.)

It has taken me 10 months of HARD training for me even to BEGIN seeing my bicep/delt separation (those are totally important in figure). This is not something that happens in a few weeks. It is month after month of hard work and eating right, constantly counting calories and macros, waiting to even see the slightest results in muscle built.

The diet as others have said, depends on a lot of factors. The first step is to read the stickies as have been noted. "Clean" up your diet. Get rid of all, and I do mean all, junk food, eat fruits and veggies, whole grains, complex carbs and lean meats. Cheat meal is allowed once a week and closer to a show, not at all.

Training is done 5- 6 times a week with lifting, cardio and stretching. Lifting is as heavy as can be, There will be days you will hurt from head to toe, but you gotta keep going, There will be days you dont want to work out, too bad you have to anyways. There will be days where you question everything about why you are doing this and why anyone would want to put themselves through it. You will slip, you will have good days and bad days.
    This is not something to be taken lightly. This is a lifestyle and a durn hard one at that. I tell people all the time, it is easy to be fat. you dont have to think about it at all. It is harder to be healthy and fit. It takes work, effort and time. Results are not seen everyday or even every month.

I am sorry but 23 weeks is not enough time to take you from "destroyed" to stage. That is my professional and personal opinion. You need a lot of time to 1) take off the fat and 2) build the muscle that figure requires.

I really do wish you well, this is not an easy path. But I do believe you would be a lot happier if you took the correct route and put the show off to 2012. That is also, at this point, my own projected date at which i will look at doing some serious shows (I will also be in america again, yay!).

Everyone here really is giving you the best advice they can. Wait and you will be happier. Do you really want to step on stage and have the audience whispering and wondering why you even showed up?? Do you really want to look at the other girls knowing you will not beat them and will end up in the bottom of the class?? Do you really want your resume of shows to read 15th (or lower) place??? Do you really want to go through hell and come to the show looking like it??
    I think many of you are taking what I said out of context ("destroyed"). I went from my current weight to 95lbs about 3 and a half years ago and I looked pretty good (at least I thought). It was close to my pre-baby look, not something I could bring to the stage, but good enough to look nice in skinny jeans. All I did for that was diet, so I'm hoping with good diet and hard training I could look good enough to place.

- Layne Norton

OK, so I get the impression that most of everyone feels I should not compete, for many reasons. I've watched my husband do this for years and years, so I'm not totally oblivious to competition. Yes I just started working out, but in that small amount of time I have seen some great results and noticed my body changing rapidly.

I would totally agree with waiting a few years before considering the stage if I did not see a friend of mine go from 100lbs over weight to winning the figure tall class of the 2008 Mr. Rochester. This was SO inspiring to me, as she looked bad before, really bad. I have no idea how she did not need surgery to remove loose skin, somehow it tightened up and she looked like a pro up there.

I just want to try dieting and training for a show and see what happens, how I respond, and if things are shaping up the way I want. I realize it's not JUST dieting, I am actually shadowing my husbands program. If the Buffalo is out of the question there is the Rochester two and a half months after. My husband is doing both. Regardless of what your opinions are on whether I should do a show or not, I would appreciate some simple ideas on meal plans. I don't always like what what my husband eats, in fact, I find a lot of it disgusting (he drinks a chicken blended with ready rice "smoothie").

- Layne Norton

LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LW79 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK, so I get the impression that most of everyone feels I should not compete, for many reasons.
    I don't think anyone said you shouldn't compete, actually I think it was the opposite they just said trying to do it in 23 weeks is a little unrealistic especially when you've only just started working out, and trying to rush it isn't that healthy.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you just started working out a month ago, you will not be able to put on enough muscle mass to compete no matter how hard you work. If you've paid attention to what your husband has been doing, you should know this. Men put on muscle faster than women and a male couldn't put on that kind of mass in that short a time. Hard work has nothing to do with it - it's biology.

As others have mentioned, figure competitors that win are not the ones who just know how to diet. Look at some pictures and you will see that they have some definite muscle mass. They spend years building it up.

Yes, you may be able to diet down in 23 weeks. If you're strict and disciplined. But you will not look like a figure competitor. You'll just look like a skinny woman.

Have you discussed this with your husband? I would imagine that as a competitive bodybuilder he would understand this. I also am a little surprised that you have this attitude having actually attended shows. Have you looked at the figure girls?

It's great to dream big, as someone else pointed out. But you need to dream realistic. You can only do what you are biologically able to do.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

Originally Posted by LW79 View Post
    I don't think anyone said you shouldn't compete, actually I think it was the opposite they just said trying to do it in 23 weeks is a little unrealistic especially when you've only just started working out, and trying to rush it isn't that healthy.
    Yes, I realize that, that's what I meant to say pretty much...

- Layne Norton

Originally Posted by erinlee01 View Post
    If you just started working out a month ago, you will not be able to put on enough muscle mass to compete no matter how hard you work. If you've paid attention to what your husband has been doing, you should know this. Men put on muscle faster than women and a male couldn't put on that kind of mass in that short a time. Hard work has nothing to do with it - it's biology.

As others have mentioned, figure competitors that win are not the ones who just know how to diet. Look at some pictures and you will see that they have some definite muscle mass. They spend years building it up.

Yes, you may be able to diet down in 23 weeks. If you're strict and disciplined. But you will not look like a figure competitor. You'll just look like a skinny woman.

Have you discussed this with your husband? I would imagine that as a competitive bodybuilder he would understand this. I also am a little surprised that you have this attitude having actually attended shows. Have you looked at the figure girls?

It's great to dream big, as someone else pointed out. But you need to dream realistic. You can only do what you are biologically able to do.
    My husband knows me well enough that if he tell's me not to do something that I am probably going to do the opposite because I feel like I have something to prove. He basically said "Your probably not going to place, but if you want to do it I'm not going to stop you". He himself worked out for years (about 4) before entering a contest, so maybe maybe I am being overzealous. In any circumstance I want to look my best on the day of that show (April 2nd), whether I do it or not.

- Layne Norton

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by erinlee01 View Post

You beat me to it. You need to actually TRY to put on muscle as a woman to realize how hard and slow a process it is.

nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's a figure competition, not a life or death situation....so if you think you can get on that stage, then go for it, but at least get some professional advice first. You should find a professional who has trained female competitors, or themselves, and ask/pay them for training and diet advice. I don't know about competing and how long it will take you, but you have to start somewhere and I would think that good sound advice from an experienced person is where you should start.

If you don't do well, and end up embarrassed because you don't look like the other girls, at least you will have the experience and know what "not" to do next time. Or maybe you just need to set that date as a motivational tool, even if you don't compete in 23 wks.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you will keep your health as the priority above all else. Best of luck to you!
    ~ Breast Cancer and Melanoma SURVIVOR ~

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nikki6 View Post
    It's a figure competition, not a life or death situation....so if you think you can get on that stage, then go for it, but at least get some professional advice first. You should find a professional who has trained female competitors, or themselves, and ask/pay them for training and diet advice. I don't know about competing and how long it will take you, but you have to start somewhere and I would think that good sound advice from an experienced person is where you should start.

If you don't do well, and end up embarrassed because you don't look like the other girls, at least you will have the experience and know what "not" to do next time. Or maybe you just need to set that date as a motivational tool, even if you don't compete in 23 wks.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you will keep your health as the priority above all else. Best of luck to you!
    Yes, we all start somewhere. But why not take the time to do it right and start with a solid base. If you don't have a solid base to be competitive, then don't do it. It's a figure competition. The idea is a to bring a solid package worth showing. Look like you belong on a stage period!

WOMEN NEED TO STOP RUSHING TO THE STAGE AND LOWERING THE BAR!

This^^is why the sport continues going downhill.

*Serious female competitor here getting off her soapbox.*
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nikki6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    kimm - That's why I suggested she get professional advice from the start so maybe she will change her goals to be more realistic. I agree with everyone, I was just trying to be nice. She most likely won't be ready for a stage in that time, especially if she's doing it naturally.
    ~ Breast Cancer and Melanoma SURVIVOR ~

9 lbs better be worth it mommymakeover's Avatar
    mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommymakeover will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My husband knows me well enough that if he tell's me not to do something that I am probably going to do the opposite because I feel like I have something to prove. He basically said "Your probably not going to place, but if you want to do it I'm not going to stop you". He himself worked out for years (about 4) before entering a contest, so maybe maybe I am being overzealous. In any circumstance I want to look my best on the day of that show (April 2nd), whether I do it or not.
    I just started all this in June. And the figure pro I'm working with didn't seem to think I couldn't be ready for a March or April show. I even asked if that was too ambitious That could be because she's actually seen me. I have noticed there there is definitely a novice level look. I've seen women that looked like they haven't lifted a weight at all, they just got really skinny to go to contest, and I've seen women that I can't understand why they are even allowed in figure when the look like they should be in BB. Some have a better silhouette because they all have boob jobs. I don't know. I would say set it as a goal, go about it in a healthy way, and if you feel you don't look good enough for stage then pick a later contest. Look at past contest and see if you can obtain the physique that was in the top 3.

But I will tell you the dieting and the numbers game behind it is really hard.
    Well actually its a lifestyle change that is really hard.

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mommymakeover View Post
    I just started all this in June. And the figure pro I'm working with didn't seem to think I couldn't be ready for a March or April show. I even asked if that was too ambitious That could be because she's actually seen me. I have noticed there there is definitely a novice level look. I've seen women that looked like they haven't lifted a weight at all, they just got really skinny to go to contest, and I've seen women that I can't understand why they are even allowed in figure when the look like they should be in BB. Some have a better silhouette because they all have boob jobs. I don't know. I would say set it as a goal, go about it in a healthy way, and if you feel you don't look good enough for stage then pick a later contest. Look at past contest and see if you can obtain the physique that was in the top 3.

But I will tell you the dieting and the numbers game behind it is really hard.
    Well actually its a lifestyle change that is really hard.
    No matter how much you like her, your trainer is out for HER in this case, not for YOU. It is a great "hook" for her to rope you into this. Not only does she have you buying her services all the way through the show but she'll get you after the show for another few months because you will end up crashing and binging due to the way she is going to have to bring you in. A great "hook" that I see all the time in the gym with trainers and clients.

Here's the deal in simple terms. You have no real muscle base to start with given that you have just started to lift. Given that you will have to come in at about 115lbs (possibly less even) to hit the stage in lean condition for a show. This means that you have 16 actual scale lbs to lose and 20 weeks to do it. Doesn't seem so bad until you realize that is nearly 1lb a week. 1 lb a week for a "normal" or "overweight" person is nothing BUT when you hit the 120lb mark, you will be dropping muscle faster than fat (if you manage to drop fat at all) at that rate and end result is that you will look very small up on that stage.

Also consider that you have xmas and Thanksgiving and New Years in that timeframe. All these Math equations are assuming you have ZERO mistakes in your training. (HIGHLY unlikely)

Finally consider this fact. Your first 2 years of lifting are "golden" years for GROWING muscle. You will never again have the advantage to grow like you do during this time. Growing muscle for women is DEADLY hard and as a beginner you cannot really appreciate 1. How little muscle you really have under that fat and 2. How hard it is to get more. If you could appreciate it, you would know that ANY trainer that advises a newbie to diet down so hard that first year is really NOT looking out for the good of the client.

Dieting down under 20% bf is really not that healthy girls. It especially isn't healthy for a person just starting out. They simply (in most cases) do not have the muscle to do it right. If you want to do it correctly and not burn out or come back via binging you really need a good base to start with (a good muscle base which takes YEARS to earn) and then you need a goodly amount of time to dial in.

So here is the score at the end of this show...

Cons:
    You:
    * Lots of money spent (posing coach, suit, fees and that trainer)
    * Wasted first year of lifting and possible injury
    * Lost muscle
    * Lots of struggle doing a diet that is too hard (will likely be on a "bro" diet as well)
    * You will either place well in a crappy class or place poorly in a good class (neither is good)
    * You diet down to an unhealthy bf% and feel like crap
    * Binging on the other side
    Trainer: Non really

Pros:
    You:
    * Bragging rights that you did it despite all the "haters". (You may even come back here to LOL at us)
    * You may look better than you ever have in your life
    Trainer:
    * All your $$$
    * Gains an "instant" long-term client and she doesn't have to do anything "special" to make you hers
    * Uses you to sell other girls on same path (adds you to her stats)

I don't know... I just don't really see the "up" side to this for a beginner client, and I haven't even BEGUN to touch on the industry reputation issue that Kim brings up... People tend to look at the one PRO of looking better than ever before and get blinded by anything else. The facts are that you can look better than you ever have in your life so much more intelligently and with so fewer downsides...

Because it is so unregulated and because there is so much money to be made by trainers, etc... this is a common theme around here. Lots and lots of confusion regarding the subject of when to show and when not to show. I am currently in the process of a sticky type thread to help people see some of the truths about showing that do not always get advertised. Hopefully that will benefit girls. Until then here is my personal post to you.

There is a MUCH better/healthier and cheaper way to do competition. Enter one of the many challenges this board offers. Set realistic goals and learn about your body, nutrition, etc through that. THEN you will have the tools you need to actually go to this other arena. You do not want to go completely unaware of these things to a stage.

BTW: Just looked at your pic MommyMakover. You have a really nice potential for doing well if you actually built that base. With those genetics would be hard to beat. You are a tiny bit thick waisted so building up the lats will be essential for you. I actually see you as a bber if you wanted to be.
    Last edited by kfisherx; 10-25-2010 at 06:08 PM.