trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Building deadlift platform with band attachments

So i'm planning on building my own dl platform for my garage, and i've got the plans from the numerous members who have done it. But my question is, how would you guys attach rings in the board so bands can be used? Main concern is them ripping out during lifting.

Thanks.

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I were to do it I would probably use bolts and washers, and countersink the underside of the platform so it accomodates the hardware, while sitting flat. Never tried it, or built a platform before, just theorising.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Put a 4x8 piece of plwood down then get two 4x6 stall mat (cut them into 3x4) and put them side by side on the plywood.

So basically you have 6inch of plywood on each side of the stall mats. Then you can rig something up for the bands or buy some DL anchors from Black Widow Training Gear
    https://www.********.com/BlackWidowT...type=3&theater

It would look something like this, except there would be stall mat where you feet would be.
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

Registered Ginger Muscle Mania Matt's Avatar
    Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have done this several ways. If you are going to use the heavy ring method: The hardest part for me is keeping the plywood and rubber aligned. Bolt the platform together at the corners (temporarily-won't be necessary to keep these in when you are done) to keep everything aligned, and flip it up on its side and lean it against your rack. Run the bolts into a countersinked hole. My platform has two layers of plywood and 3/4 rubber, and I used 1/4 inch hardware (two bolts per anchor attachment). Make sure your countersink is big enough you can tighten the nut down, and I would put locktite on it.

This has held for me for two years just fine, but I hate stepping on the rings. Soon I am just going to get some scrapmetal and build a frame just like rogue has http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-deadlift-platform.php
    That's real easy, and I'll just weld it.
    -[[[[------]]]]-

***Misc Cigar Crew***
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew

slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Muscle Mania Matt View Post
    I have done this several ways. If you are going to use the heavy ring method: The hardest part for me is keeping the plywood and rubber aligned. Bolt the platform together at the corners (temporarily-won't be necessary to keep these in when you are done) to keep everything aligned, and flip it up on its side and lean it against your rack. Run the bolts into a countersinked hole. My platform has two layers of plywood and 3/4 rubber, and I used 1/4 inch hardware (two bolts per anchor attachment). Make sure your countersink is big enough you can tighten the nut down, and I would put locktite on it.

This has held for me for two years just fine, but I hate stepping on the rings. Soon I am just going to get some scrapmetal and build a frame just like rogue has http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-deadlift-platform.php
    That's real easy, and I'll just weld it.
    I'm acutally building one similar too. Waiting on a good deal on some stall mats first
    Long live Slim

trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How many sheets of plywood, for you guys that have built your own dl platform, would be necessary? I figured if i used 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood then the stall mat on each end, then that would be enough. Also, I'm planning of using some pop up rings with a carabiner on each one for the band attachments, how do you guys think this would work out?

Thanks.

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by trontheman View Post
    How many sheets of plywood, for you guys that have built your own dl platform, would be necessary? I figured if i used 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood then the stall mat on each end, then that would be enough. Also, I'm planning of using some pop up rings with a carabiner on each one for the band attachments, how do you guys think this would work out?
    Thanks.
    one 3/4 inch plywood 4x8 w/ a 3/4 inch stall mat should work.

If you look at this video its Brian Carroll DL 810lbs. Thats Adam Driggers home gym and i believe he said he uses one 3/4 inch plywood and only 1/2 inch stall mat. And it holds up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuRSLyOcV3A
    Last edited by 817boy; 02-18-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: forgot to post link lol
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE