GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

How anaerobic (or aerobic) is a mile run?

I know that anaerobic is usually conditioned generously up to 2 minutes, and aerobic is like half the heart rate, so where does a PB mile run, that's significantly under 8 minutes stand?
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50) slightlygifted will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    mile is around 50/50 for a 5min mile. its the first middle distance event, with the 800m being the last of the sprints.

call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    I know that anaerobic is usually conditioned generously up to 2 minutes, and aerobic is like half the heart rate, so where does a PB mile run, that's significantly under 8 minutes stand?
    It is vastly aerobic due to the intensity and duration but at no time, either at rest or exercise, does one system provide all the energy.
    -Train outside your physical and mental comfort zone.

-The more you sweat in practice, the less you will bleed in battle.

-The skeleton of my workouts: 1) Foam roll/tennis ball. 2) mobility/corrective exercises.
    3) scapular, core and hip activation, 4) dynamic warm up. 5) Lift. 6) Energy System Training. 7) Stretch.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by slightlygifted View Post
    the 800m being the last of the sprints.
    I can see that considering mine is actually close to 2 minutes. Not officially close, but in comparison to the mile, It's safe to say that competition runners beat 2 minutes all the time.

Either way, the exercise is pretty intense. I'm not talking about gaining mass here, but what exactly does it do for muscle development if it doesn't emphasize anaerobic or aerobic systems?

Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smorgasbord is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here is a cool graph showing the energy pathway used during different durations of exercise. A mile run would be a more aerobic dominant exercise.

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/EnergyGraphs.html

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^^^. nice link.

elite runners, here's a breakdown of a few races:

1500m 76% aerobic 24% anaerobic

100m 8% aerobic 92% anaerobic

400m 30% aerobic 70% anaerobic

marathon 99% aerobic 1% anaerobic

i have a cite written down of Sparkes and Bjorkland, but then my notes are illegible.

Stay humble, not pathetic sailingpece's Avatar
    sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Correlation does not imply causation. The Plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

When you believe in things you don't understand you suffer, superstition aint the way.

Lets Not talk about what COULD be, nor what WOULD be, but rather what really is.

I'm not an MD, nor am I a bro scientist.

lol.. a mile run is less than 1/3 anaerobic for me. I can see that the 2 minute sentiment that you are significantly using anaerobic system is under the condition that it is 60/40 anaerobic/aerobic.

edit: One time I brought my dog to my highschool track during summer so he could run around while I did HIIT. I walked the bends and ran the straightaways, and near the end when I was coming up on to a straightaway, he ran across the field and ran with me for just that interval. He presumed his grass sniffing after that.
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 05-22-2011 at 07:25 PM.