Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How long would it take to gain 15 pounds of lean muscle mass going all natural?

Im trying to gain about 15 pounds of lean muscle mass in the next 6 months to a year but I am using no supplements as of now, I am going all natural. How long do you think this would take?

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    You can reach your goal.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    15 pounds is more than possible for a beginner, in fact simply increasing calories can put 15 pounds on you even without training if you've been undereating (which a lot of skinny guys do without even being aware of it). In fact I'd go as far to say that perhaps 50% of the weight beginners gain when they start working out are not directly due to their training but due to the fact that they make a conscious effort to increase calorie intake.

If you eat like a boy you'll look like one.

Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Imtheman248 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    15 pounds is more than possible for a beginner, in fact simply increasing calories can put 15 pounds on you even without training if you've been undereating (which a lot of skinny guys do without even being aware of it). In fact I'd go as far to say that perhaps 50% of the weight beginners gain when they start working out are not directly due to their training but due to the fact that they make a conscious effort to increase calorie intake.

Really? well i actually used to be at like 215, i dropped 30 pounds from the beg of the year til around the start of the summer. I just feel like if I eat like crazy I will gain fat weight and not muscle weight, eventhough I will be eating alot better come this time. Im trying to aim for like 3000 a day or so and about 250 g of protein or so.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

15 pounds, yes.

15 pounds of muscle, no.

Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Caged_Rav3n is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How Much Muscle Can We Really Build?

The origin of the problem lies in the belief that our bodies can build a lot of muscle fast. Simply put, the average trainee has unrealistic expectations when it comes to building muscle.

I can't state a precise number, but the average gym rat (especially the younger members of said group) believe that gaining twenty pounds of muscle in three months is ''normal." In fact, I've seen many young lifting aficionados complaining about only gaining ten pounds in two months of training! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your body (if you aren't using growth-enhancing drugs) can't build that much muscle that fast... not even close.

Normally I don't have any problems with people who have high expectations. However, in that particular case, the belief that it's possible to grow that fast can often lead to erroneous dietary approaches or even drug use (both out of frustration from not gaining twenty pounds in two or three months of training). So I'm here to set things straight. Many of you won't like what I'm about to say, but it's the truth.

Under the best possible circumstances (perfect diet, training, supplementation, and recovery strategies) the average male body can manufacture between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of dry muscle tissue per week. That is the amount your natural body chemistry will allow you to build. So we're talking about around one or two pounds per month. It may not sound like much, but that can add up to twelve to twenty pounds over one year of training.

Understand that it's possible to gain more weight without adding fat because when you increase your muscle size you also increase glycogen and water storage in those muscles. More muscle equals more glycogen.

A trained individual can store up to 40g of glycogen per 100g of muscle tissue. So if you're gaining ten pounds of new muscle (4545g) you'll also increase glycogen storage by around four pounds (1.8kg). So if you gain ten pounds of muscle, your scale gain will actually be closer to fourteen pounds (if you didn't gain any fat).

Chances are if you're gaining more than three pounds per month, you're gaining some fat.

JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonRemix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's true, a beginner can gain more than 12lbs a year...but will go back to normal levels later on. Someone who has been lifting for a solid year will probably only be able to put on 1lb of muscle a month.

I am currently bulking for 5-6 months and I am shooting for a goal of 10-11lbs of lean muscle mass in that time frame. If I end up with 13 or 14 somehow...awesome. It will definitely take me two years to get to my goal. It takes a lot of work/dedication. It's also why a good 90% of the population does not look as good as the lean seasoned lifters off BB.com.

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    15 pounds, yes.

15 pounds of muscle, no.
    15 pounds in 6 months for a beginner is not unheard of. You can gain 5-6 pounds from glycogen supercompensation alone (I count this as muscle gain seeing as it increases visable muscle size which is what 99% of the people here are looking for).

Lost 240 lbs Ready 2 Gain ahansen77's Avatar
    ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahansen77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's definitely possible...I would say genetics and of course your starting weight/height play a part. I've managed to gain 14 lbs in the past 4 months while staying lean...half way to my goal of gaining 30 lbs of lean muscle by Summer 2011.

I'm 33 yrs old and 6'5" tall. I started at 215 to 218 lbs (AM/PM) on April 22, 2010...I have a thick frame but was just too skinny, body fat was 17.5% according to the device at my gym...now, about 4 months later I weight in at 229 to 232 lbs (AM/PM)...thats a solid 14 lb gain in 4 months...the latest reading at the gym said 16.5% body fat...not sure how accurate that device is but I definitely don't notice any addt'l fat in the mirror. My shoulders, traps and arms have gotten much bigger and more defined and I'm *finally* starting to see my chest start to catch up after switching up my routine recently. I don't talk about the gym to my family and coworkers but they're noticing...I've even heard someone saying that I've gotta be taking steroids...HAHA.

This is how I did it:

I raised my daily calories from about 2000 to 3500; and get in at least 200 grams of protein, shotting for 250-300 grams which is better; all through 100% clean eating (ok, maybe 95% clean, I'll eat a few pretzels and - Lots of Poultry, Fish, Lean Beef, Eggs and whites, Nuts, Beans, Whole Grain Bread, Veggies, 2 servings of Oatmeal daily, and 3-4 servings of Whey Protein.

I also take a good Supplement Stack - Vitamins, GNC Wheybolic 60 Protein (AM, PM and post-workout), Superpump 250 (pre-workout), Xtend BCAA's (during workout), Tribulus, Novedex XT, ZMA (at night), Glutamine (pre/post workout and before bed); Creatine (cycled).

I hit the gym pretty much daily, but at least 5-6 times per week.

Monday - cardio only

Tuesday - Workout # 1
    4x Squats: 5 reps
    3x Hamstring Work: 8 reps
    3x Barbell or Dumbbell Row: 8 reps
    2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Wednesday - Workout # 2
    4x Bench Press: 5 reps
    3x Military Press: 8 reps
    3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps
    2x Abdominal / Calf Work: 15 reps

Thursday - Volleyball

Friday - Workout # 3
    4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
    3x Pullups: 8 reps (or 3x Barbell or Dumbbell Row: 8 reps)
    3x Leg Press: 8 reps
    2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps
    30-45 mins cardio

Saturday - OFF (or cardio only)

Sunday - Workout # 4
    4x Dumbbell or Incline Press: 5 reps
    3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
    3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
    2x Abdominal / Calf Work: 15 reps
    30-45 mins cardio

Good luck man I think you can do it, but it's going to be work!!
    Former Fatty. 6'5"...from 450 lbs to 210 lbs....
    NOW HELP ME GROW!

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree with Caged_Rav3n. Most trainees have unrealistic expectations as to real world gains. Especially if you are Natural.

Also, you are only 17 years old. Your hormone profile may not even have kicked into high gear yet. I know when I was 17 it didn't matter what I did I had an extremely hard time putting on muscle mass. It was not until I was in my early 20's that my body finally started to co-operate.

Stick with Basic compound/multi joint exercises ( the ones that give you the most bang for your buck like squats, deadlifts dips pull ups/chin ups, lunges, Variations of Olympic lifts, sled pushes & pulls, farmer's Carries, strongman type lifts, etc...) As a "beginner" you can afford to stick with a program for about 6-8 weeks at a time.

Best of Luck & Enjoy the Journey!

Originally Posted by Caged_Rav3n View Post
    How Much Muscle Can We Really Build?

The origin of the problem lies in the belief that our bodies can build a lot of muscle fast. Simply put, the average trainee has unrealistic expectations when it comes to building muscle.

I can't state a precise number, but the average gym rat (especially the younger members of said group) believe that gaining twenty pounds of muscle in three months is ''normal." In fact, I've seen many young lifting aficionados complaining about only gaining ten pounds in two months of training! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your body (if you aren't using growth-enhancing drugs) can't build that much muscle that fast... not even close.

Normally I don't have any problems with people who have high expectations. However, in that particular case, the belief that it's possible to grow that fast can often lead to erroneous dietary approaches or even drug use (both out of frustration from not gaining twenty pounds in two or three months of training). So I'm here to set things straight. Many of you won't like what I'm about to say, but it's the truth.

Under the best possible circumstances (perfect diet, training, supplementation, and recovery strategies) the average male body can manufacture between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of dry muscle tissue per week. That is the amount your natural body chemistry will allow you to build. So we're talking about around one or two pounds per month. It may not sound like much, but that can add up to twelve to twenty pounds over one year of training.

Understand that it's possible to gain more weight without adding fat because when you increase your muscle size you also increase glycogen and water storage in those muscles. More muscle equals more glycogen.

A trained individual can store up to 40g of glycogen per 100g of muscle tissue. So if you're gaining ten pounds of new muscle (4545g) you'll also increase glycogen storage by around four pounds (1.8kg). So if you gain ten pounds of muscle, your scale gain will actually be closer to fourteen pounds (if you didn't gain any fat).

Chances are if you're gaining more than three pounds per month, you're gaining some fat.

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    15 pounds in 6 months for a beginner is not unheard of
    Of course not. With training though.

henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I gained around 20lbs my first year. If I can do it, it should be easy for you.

Originally Posted by henmaniac87 View Post
    I gained around 20lbs my first year. If I can do it, it should be easy for you.
    He is your height and weighs 40 pounds more than your current weight.

It's easy to gain weight when you have just stepped out of a concetration camp and weigh 115 pounds at 6'00"

scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10) scullerzpe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    He is your height and weighs 40 pounds more than your current weight.

It's easy to gain weight when you have just stepped out of a concetration camp and weigh 115 pounds at 6'00"
    I was thinking the same thing hahaha! Did you decide to eat?

all kidding aside just from starting to lift 4 years back when I was 18, I gained about 10 pounds of lean mass in 5 and a half months. At first nothing really happened, but after 2-3 months things really started to kick in.

I love the composite lifts!

danmac94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danmac94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danmac94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danmac94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danmac94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danmac94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally i started lifting about 3 1/2 or 4 months ago. All i really take is whey protien and eat alot. Since i started 4 months ago i went up from 122 pounds to 145 today. But alot of that was in the first three months and this months my weight has been like the same. So its definitely possible.