skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Rice and Beans = Complete Protein Source?

I try to eat a complete protein at every meal (Dairy, eggs, chicken, tuna, etc)... but I've heard that rice and beans form a complete protein. Is it okay to have JUST rice and beans for a meal?

(Black beans and long grain brown rice)
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Unhappy

c'mon guys... this is a simple question....
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

College Nutrition Student ]X[Tr3MaX's Avatar
    ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I try to max out my incomplete protein by making them complete

Mostly i take 1) cereal and milk (dairy).. they complete each other or i take a 2)bagel with almond butter, again cereal and nuts complete each other

Rice (cereal/grain) and beans (what's the goddamn word in english!?), well whatever they complete each others too

That's the three ''official'' combination
    - Work smarter, not harder

- You eat like ****, you look like ****

www.myspace.com/redskullll

legumes

Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shotput15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by skelooth
    legumes
    haha yep.
    -I'm the man in the box
    Height:5'9"
    Weight:130 (145) goal 150 at least
    -Squat- 185 goal 200
    -Deadlift- 230 goal 275 (THAT'S gonna take awhile)
    -Bench- 115 goal 135

If it's easy, it's pointless. That goes for eating too. KEEP EATING

College Nutrition Student ]X[Tr3MaX's Avatar
    ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ]X[Tr3MaX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    legumes.. thanks!

So there ya go;

rice and beans
    bowl of cereal
    jelly + natty peanut butter sandwich... hmmmmm peanuttttttts

hahaah homer rock the house
    - Work smarter, not harder

- You eat like ****, you look like ****

www.myspace.com/redskullll

saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) saw14 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    this is a simple question....
    if its simple why'd you ask? lol.
    this signature was purchased by melon:

"incongruous penguin"

BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I try to eat a complete protein at every meal (Dairy, eggs, chicken, tuna, etc)... but I've heard that rice and beans form a complete protein. Is it okay to have JUST rice and beans for a meal?

(Black beans and long grain brown rice)

Yes.

rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockstarsar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This has been discussed several times before. If you use the search button, you would find that incomplete proteins do get "combined" in your body, not just on the dinner plate. Your body is a lot smarter than you will ever know.
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=527284

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
    part of DA...keep it on the QT

FeMMisc SPA #5

Will Lift for Food boostnmuscle's Avatar
    boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100) boostnmuscle is not very well liked. (-100)
    rice and beans are not a complete protein source my friend, rice are an obvious all carb source and yes beans are a source of protein but not a complete source...it is a food that lacks all essential amino acids and unless there is a complete source available when eaten(meat, dairy) a process called deamination will occur,the body will not build muscle using the beans...not to get all technical n stuff but beans are more of a carbohydrate source than protein...
    STILL NATURAL

5'11
    218 lbs
    10% bf

Still Bulkin'

...Always been stickin' to the basics...
    -Whey-
    -Fish/Flax Oil-
    -CEE-
    -Multi-
    -FOOD-

Certified NFPT Physical Trainer

Originally Posted by rockstarsar
    This has been discussed several times before. If you use the search button
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/search...archid=2211815

yep, that was real helpful

I wish ryan would have incorporated that google search technology into the forum. Invision's search algorithm blows goat balls.

Originally Posted by boostnmuscle
    not to get all technical n stuff but beans are more of a carbohydrate source than protein...
    Yep, I know, and I eat them as such... but I like to eat rice and beans, and unfortunately it's calorie dense. I heard people say that rice + beans forms a complete protein, and if it did, that'd be great cos I could shave 100 cals off my meal or add 100 cals worth of beans if it did.

BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BackInTheJox is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    rice and beans are not a complete protein source my friend, rice are an obvious all carb source and yes beans are a source of protein but not a complete source...it is a food that lacks all essential amino acids and unless there is a complete source available when eaten(meat, dairy) a process called deamination will occur,the body will not build muscle using the beans...not to get all technical n stuff but beans are more of a carbohydrate source than protein...

Jesus, go read a book before you spread misinformation.

Beans or rice by themselves are incomplete proteins; however, when combined, they form a complete protein. This is commonly known as Complementing.

Supplementation (when you mix a complete source with an incomplete source, such as steak and rice) also works.

The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    http://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletprotein.htm

Though beans and rice served separately, lack all the components to make a complete protein, when combined their protein value is equal to fish, poultry or red meat.

Legumes, more commonly known as beans, are good sources of protein. Most beans are eaten fresh, but they can also be canned, frozen, or dried. Many beans do not have all the building blocks of protein called amino acids that your body needs, so you need to eat grain sources of protein. Eating a variety of foods will give you the complete protein your body needs.

Animal protein contains all nine of the essential amino acids, so it has been referred to as a "complete" protein. The nine essential amino acids can also be found in plant proteins, however no single plant source contains all nine of them. Therefore, plant protein has been referred to as "incomplete."

It was once widely believed that vegetarians had to carefully combine plant protein sources in each meal in order to obtain all nine essential amino acids. However, scientific studies have shown that the human body can store essential amino acids and combine them as necessary. So, while combining beans and rice, or peanut butter and bread produces a complete protein, it’s not necessary to consciously do this at every meal. If you eat a varied diet and adequate calories, combining proteins is not an issue.

The Doc
    I do not have an M.D. or a Ph.D., Doc is a nickname, please don't ask me about your personal itching.

melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500) melon is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HAHAHAHAAA

For anyone who knows what deamination is and why it occurs in the body this is hilarious.
    The first rule of cheat club is you do not talk about cheat club. The second rule of cheat club is you DO NOT talk about cheat club. Third rule of cheat cub, someone yells stop!, goes limp, taps out, the cheat is over. Fourth rule, one cheat at a time, fellas. Fifth rule, cheats will go on as long as they have to. And the sixth and final rule, if this is your first night at cheat club, you have to cheat.

Join us...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=267863

Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Troutwine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    WTF......

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    wrong...

1 cup of red beans
    Calories 226 ( Kilojoules 945 )
    % Daily
    Value*
    Total Fat 1 g 2%
    Saturated Fat - 0%
    Cholesterol - 0%
    Sodium 4 mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrates 40 g 13%
    Dietary Fiber 8 g 32%
    Sugars -
    Protein 16 g

its also the #1 antioxidant food. i see why you are in the red.

to OP yes its fine. I eat brown rice + red beans or black beans w/ a lil pico de galla all the time to give me a break from the constant meat and powders.
    Last edited by grapemaster; 09-24-2006 at 05:17 PM.

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by The Doc

Animal protein contains all nine of the essential amino acids, so it has been referred to as a "complete" protein. The nine essential amino acids can also be found in plant proteins, however no single plant source contains all nine of them. Therefore, plant protein has been referred to as "incomplete."
    good post but this part isn't entirely true, for instance, gelatin from animal protein is not a complete protein, and there are complete plant proteins, chlorella, spirulina, hemp... few more but can't think of them.

garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Who cares...........unless of course you obstain from eating meat. And not eating both sources at the same time doesn't all of a sudden make the amino acids that they do have, invaluable. Just make sure you do have both at some time during the day if you are looking for a complete protein source if your vegetarian.
    One problem is....some of our competitors suffer from excessive build quality.

bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bravo03_old is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by saw14
    if its simple why'd you ask? lol.
    lol

SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFGiantsPBA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yep, I know, and I eat them as such... but I like to eat rice and beans, and unfortunately it's calorie dense. I heard people say that rice + beans forms a complete protein, and if it did, that'd be great cos I could shave 100 cals off my meal or add 100 cals worth of beans if it did.
    I like to do 1/2 Cup Beans (Black or Kidney). 1/2 Cup Brown Rice and a meat source, even a can of Tuna ad in 1 cup of Brocoli and this make for a great meal!

Basicly allthough beans and rice are calorie dense you can still fit it all together just use 1/2 cup fulls!

A meal of 1/2 cup beans and 1/2 rice, 4 oz of chicken and 1 cup of brocoli is 402 calories 5 fat 43 carbs and 46 protiens.

With a can of tuna I'll even ad Olive Oil in to get the fats!

Finding my Potential empresscat's Avatar
    empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Beans and Legumes (including red beans, chickpeas, lima beans, peas, and lentils) form a complete protein when combined with a grain (brown rice, barley, quinoa, whole wheat)

The carbs will still be much higher, overall - but it's not bad as a change of pace or an addition to other protein sources.

daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I recommend red beans, basmati rice and chicken

j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) j0rb3n has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by boostnmuscle View Post
    Hey dip****, do some research. It is a complete protein.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by j0rb3n View Post
    Hey dip****, do some research. It is a complete protein.
    do you think that in the 7 years since this thread was started that the OP might have figured it out? dip****