AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

How do I know if I'm losing fat and NOT muscle?

Been slimming down since Jan 30th was 194 lbs and im now about 180 lbs, I'm heavy set guy and never trained for definition, just mass. Got fed up and wanted to get rid of the gut while preserving all that hard earned muscle.

Thing is, the scales are going down every week but how do I know I'm losing fat and not muscle?

My diet is solid (did all the formulas ) and I do cardio about 5 days a week.

Maybe I'm just paranoid cos i'm searching for a physical change.

tips anyone?
    Lift heavy,pick up whales

MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MolotovMan1263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your lifts are staying the same or improving, you are maintaining muscle. Aim to lose 1-2 lbs per week and expect almost all fat loss.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You ARE paranoid.

You have nothing to worry about.

1. You're 20 fricken years old. Natural testosterone flowing big time... look at a weight and you gain muscle mass.
    2. You've got a solid diet.
    3. You're lifting weights. END OF STORY
    4. Furthermore, you're not overly muscular anyway. There isn't a bunch of excess muscle for you to lose.
    5. Further, furthermore, you've got plenty of fat to lose. There's no reason for your body to use muscle for fuel

Stop being paranoid and stick to the plan. You'll be fine as long as you are consistent and patient enough to let it happen.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AndyLegacy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    You ARE paranoid.

You have nothing to worry about.

1. You're 20 fricken years old. Natural testosterone flowing big time... look at a weight and you gain muscle mass.
    2. You've got a solid diet.
    3. You're lifting weights. END OF STORY
    4. Furthermore, you're not overly muscular anyway. There isn't a bunch of excess muscle for you to lose.
    5. Further, furthermore, you've got plenty of fat to lose. There's no reason for your body to use muscle for fuel

Stop being paranoid and stick to the plan. You'll be fine as long as you are consistent and patient enough to let it happen.
    thanks man! just what I needed to hear!!

Should I be worried about a slight loss of endurance though? I can still lift the same amount, but for a few less reps. Is a little fatigue to be expected?

xSHIFTxNASTYx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xSHIFTxNASTYx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xSHIFTxNASTYx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xSHIFTxNASTYx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AndyLegacy View Post
    Should I be worried about a slight loss of endurance though? I can still lift the same amount, but for a few less reps. Is a little fatigue to be expected?
    As long as it isn't drastic or sticks around forever... I lose some endurance based on whether I carb cycle or not, but that is because I have no glycogen in my muscles.

Just keep at it, if you go for a few less reps, don't think you need to drop down a weight to get that number, keep it steady and keep lifting heavy bro.

Originally Posted by xSHIFTxNASTYx View Post
    As long as it isn't drastic or sticks around forever... I lose some endurance based on whether I carb cycle or not, but that is because I have no glycogen in my muscles.

Just keep at it, if you go for a few less reps, don't think you need to drop down a weight to get that number, keep it steady and keep lifting heavy bro.
    thanks bro! I'll keep pumping that **** hard!

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by xSHIFTxNASTYx View Post

Exactly. Don't confuse energy and strength with muscle loss or gain. While on a cut it is common to lose some energy and strength. You're eating less calories per day than your body needs to maintain....hence there is less energy available for immediate use in the weight room. If you find it harder to work out hard, be sure to schedule in some decent carbs an hour or so before a workout. The little energy boost may make a difference in the weight room.

A lot of this is mental though.... Push through!!!
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    Exactly. Don't confuse energy and strength with muscle loss or gain. While on a cut it is common to lose some energy and strength. You're eating less calories per day than your body needs to maintain....hence there is less energy available for immediate use in the weight room. If you find it harder to work out hard, be sure to schedule in some decent carbs an hour or so before a workout. The little energy boost may make a difference in the weight room.

A lot of this is mental though.... Push through!!!
    excellent advice, thank you! I'll see how I do without the extra carbs and if it gets too drastic i'll stick a few on. many thanks!