Thread: Forearm Pain?

GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Forearm Pain?

Whenever I try to do a straight bar, barbell, or EZ bar curl my forearm feels like it is being stabbed. It's been getting worse and hurting during OHP and dumbbell curls as well as everyday things such as washing my back in the shower. Anyone know what's up?

GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetFit10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bump.

ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Post your routine. Could just be a pulled muscle or maybe an overuse injury depending on what kind of volume you were doing. Definitely deload for a week and see how that improves it. When is the last time you did a deload?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    The only thing I've heard of that seems to work for a lot of people, with this very common issue, is this:

WHen you've done your set, keep a tight hold of the bar, put it down somewhere (a surface/rack/other) and continue to keep hold of it for a while, slowly relaxing your grip on it. After a while, finally let go. It should help, at least a bit.

I know, it probably sounds really weird, but it's worked for quite a few guys that I know of. Myself included.

If it doesn't help at all, of enough, maybe look at your form (is it right?) or some kind of supplementary exercises (i.e., for grip, or forearm strength in general). Apart from these things, I can't think of anything else (except, maybe, a deload...)

edit: And yes, knowing your routine could help people give you better advice. Usually does.

I just started doing All Pro's but before that I was doing

Mon:
    Dumbbell curl
    back extension
    straight bar or ez bar curl
    lat pull downs
    straight bar cable curl
    upright row machine
    hammer curl

tuesday:
    flat bench
    tricep pull downs
    incline bench
    close grip bench
    decline bench
    dips
    flys

wednesday:
    legs(wont go into detail)
    OHP using dumbbells
    power cleans
    pull ups

repeat for thurs/fri/sat and sunday i took off. That was the routine I used when the pain started. Im following all pro's now and the pain continues on just about any exercise where i use my forearms extensively(OHP and dumbbell curl mostly) but also when I spot my buddy on the bench.

Last week was my spring break so I only lifted 3 times, one chest/tri and 2 back/bi

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GetFit10 View Post
    I just started doing All Pro's but before that I was doing

Mon:
    Dumbbell curl
    back extension
    straight bar or ez bar curl
    lat pull downs
    straight bar cable curl
    upright row machine
    hammer curl

tuesday:
    flat bench
    tricep pull downs
    incline bench
    close grip bench
    decline bench
    dips
    flys

wednesday:
    legs(wont go into detail)
    OHP using dumbbells
    power cleans
    pull ups
    So... you weren't doing legs at all, right? And that is a hell of a lot of repetition, with arms. FOUR types of bicep curl on the one day, with two other upper body things and one lower back thrown in. Then, essentially FIVE kinds of bench (dips more or less count as one), and one tricep plus one chest isolation, as well. Then, maybe some legs stuff, maybe not, and two upper body lifts.

Oh, and the above repeated Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with no rest days in between any of that. No wonder you've run into some recovery problems, mate!

That was the routine I used when the pain started.
    Not too surprised there.

Im following all pro's now and the pain continues on just about any exercise where i use my forearms extensively(OHP and dumbbell curl mostly) but also when I spot my buddy on the bench.

Last week was my spring break so I only lifted 3 times, one chest/tri and 2 back/bi
    Might want to give it a rest completely for a little while (maybe a week?) and see how you go - with AllPro's, followed to the letter, NOT what you were doing before! - then, if the pain is still there with that routine, you might want to get a professional medical opinion.

Nah I really did do legs haha, I did leg extensions, sitting and standing calf raises, and leg press.

But yeah, I kind of went a little nuts. I did it that way though because for over a month i was hitting the muscle groups twice per week and seeing very little results. I wanted to get results faster so I upped it to three days per week. I also did that with a 150-200 calorie deficit so I really wasn't letting my body recover at all...dumb I know.

mjsaladino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey OP, I had the same problem around a month ago, so for about a week or so I eased up on my bicep workouts and even adjusted my grip on a few of them to make the pressure less on my forearm (ex. - hammer curls and preacher curls). After about a week or so of when I originally experienced the pain it went away. It's most likely just some sort of muscle strain in your forearm, so just take it easy for a little. Give it time to heal itself up.

otmXmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I HAD this problem awhile ago and have overcome it. I was diagnosed with 'forearm splits' ... like 'shin splits' Pretty much you need to STRETCH! Before I did any curling or forearm induced exercise, I would stretch. Easiest way for me to explain is by this... get on your hands and knees, your fingers you'll notice are pointed straight out in front of you with your palms flat on the ground. Now turn your hands 180 degrees inward and you'll feel the pull in your forearms. I did this for about a week and I'm pain free when I lift now.

Thanks a bunch for all of your help everyone!

Edit: repped everyone
    Last edited by GetFit10; 03-20-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: repping