Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Minimum Nutritional Requirements

What I would like to see is a thread of minimum nutritional requirements for the purpose of bodybuilding. In the regular nutrition section, it looks like people are overthinking their diets to a large degree. Here are my suggestion:

- 1 g of protein / lb of lean body mass,
    - some fruits and veggies for micros and fiber,
    - some essential fats (e.g. from flax oil, etc.).

IMO, for the rest of the calories, a wide variety of food is the best way to go (to get rest of the micros). I see no need to exclude anything from the diet.

Obviously this is not exactly a very scientific way of putting it, but I wanted to start out with something very simple. I would be interested to see the recommendations of others and the science behind it regarding the purpose of bodybuilding (= change of body composition).

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The absolute MINIMUMs are

- protein - 50g/day
    - fat - 10g/day
    - Vitamins (A,B group,C,D,E,K)
    - minerals - Mg, Ca
    - electrolytes (Na, K, Cl)

with appropriate food to give your daily calorie requirements.

(Try telling that to the guy on this site doing the starvation diet).

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    The absolute MINIMUMs are

- protein - 50g/day
    - fat - 10g/day
    - Vitamins (A,B group,C,D,E,K)
    - minerals - Mg, Ca
    - electrolytes (Na, K, Cl)

with appropriate food to give your daily calorie requirements.

(Try telling that to the guy on this site doing the starvation diet).
    Is this for the purpose of bodybuilding in your opinion? What I meant is the minimums for optimal change of body composition. I don't think an absolute minimum for protein makes sense for that purpose. In my experience, 50g would be too low for that.

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by wave_length View Post
    Is this for the purpose of bodybuilding in your opinion? What I meant is the minimums for optimal change of body composition. I don't think an absolute minimum for protein makes sense for that purpose.
    For bodybuilding 2g complete protein/kg body mass is OK.
    Fish or flax seed oil, say 2g a day is good too.

Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    For bodybuilding 2g complete protein/kg body mass is OK.
    Fish or flax seed oil, say 2g a day is good too.
    Perfect, that's pretty much what I wrote. I just advise people to take one gulp of healthy oil. Not really necessary if your diet provides the fats but just to be sure.

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree with the OP, It's what I do and then just fill in the rest of the calories with whatever else I want. If I do some intense cardio or long periods of exercise, I'll try to eat some extra carbs.

I'd say:

~1g/lb bw protein
    ~30g fiber

I'm not really sure on fiber, but I don't see why anyone would go below ~60g fat /day.
    ENCLAVE
    Fitness & Nutrition
    CISSN
    CSCS
    CF-L1

Cyclist, Sprinter, Foodie.

AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AllGenetix has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you NEED sufficient fat for fat solube vitamins, hormone production, and other bodily functions. EFA's are also important, but not necessarily NEEDED. i would say minimum of .25-.5g/lb BW fat.
    "Don't Talk About It - Be About It"

Core Nutritionals Rep
    "Crush IT"

NSCA-CSCS Certified Personal Trainer - PM for Online Training/Nutrition Consultation

Originally Posted by AllGenetix View Post
    EFA's are also important, but not necessarily NEEDED.
    That one is kind of confusing, since the "E" in "EFA" means essential.

Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wfly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    need those healthy fats for energy too...
    check out my blog to learn my secret success to making money online
    http://onlineworksecrets.blogspot.com/

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What the premise of this topic is missing are clearly defined goals "bodybuilding purposes" is too vague IMO. Wave length -- what were you thinking more specifically....what rate of LBM addition? How much fat % or LB'age would be acceptable are you thinking? I also think cutting is different as well since we have less opportunity to get in healthy micro/phyto nutrients etc....
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That one is kind of confusing, since the "E" in "EFA" means essential.
    Without going into the details of the thread topic - in regards to EFA's specifically.... This is where many are confused by the term and have been lead to believe something different to what is true.

EFA = essential fatty acids. And they ARE essential... BUT --> A lot of people don't actually KNOW which fats are counted as essential fatty acids (and there is still a lot of debate in the nutritional community too), and what level of intake is actually 'essential'.

If people want to read about it I linked a few good articles here:
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    psssttt - total dietary fat requirements =/= EFA requirements.
    Diet fats = total fat consumed.
    EFA = essential fatty acids (those fatty acids that your body can not make but require for normal health/ functioning).

And the answer is 'it is complex' - and debate is still happening regarding which actual fatty acids ARE considered 'essential'....

But suffice to say, although those are good 'base' figures for total dietary fat - you don't need anywhere near that amount of the 'essential fatty acids'.

Few things to read:
    READ ME
    AND ME
    ANOTHER HERE
    AND HERE

Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    What the premise of this topic is missing are clearly defined goals "bodybuilding purposes" is too vague IMO. Wave length -- what were you thinking more specifically....what rate of LBM addition? How much fat % or LB'age would be acceptable are you thinking? I also think cutting is different as well since we have less opportunity to get in healthy micro/phyto nutrients etc....
    What I mean by that is changing body composition towards more muscle and less fat. The minimums specified should be what one must take to get optimal results either on a cut or a bulk regarding body composition. Intake above those minimums should not make a significant difference. If you think it's different for bulk or cut, just specify two sets of minimums.

Without going into the details of the thread topic - in regards to EFA's specifically.... This is where many are confused by the term and have been lead to believe something different to what is true.

EFA = essential fatty acids. And they ARE essential... BUT --> A lot of people don't actually KNOW which fats are counted as essential fatty acids (and there is still a lot of debate in the nutritional community too), and what level of intake is actually 'essential'.

If people want to read about it I linked a few good articles here:
    Thanks Emma-Leigh, I have also noticed that there have been quite some discussions on the topic lately. What would you suggest as minimal intake and in what form (if it's not covered by normal nutrition)?

RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't get it. Aren't some of the people saying you need X grams of protein per day saying all that matters is the # of calories?
    Just going through the motions is one of the most disadvantageous things you can do.

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What I mean by that is changing body composition towards more muscle and less fat. The minimums specified should be what one must take to get optimal results either on a cut or a bulk regarding body composition. Intake above those minimums should not make a significant difference. If you think it's different for bulk or cut, just specify two sets of minimums.
    That makes sense - thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by RandallH19891 View Post
    I don't get it. Aren't some of the people saying you need X grams of protein per day saying all that matters is the # of calories?
    No, there is still a minimum amount protein/fat/micronutrient/vitamin/mineral etc...that you need to maintain health. After that, we say it comes down to energy balance regardless of macronutrient ratio to determine rate of progression towards whatever goal you may have.
    Last edited by MarkVI; 01-11-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks Emma-Leigh, I have also noticed that there have been quite some discussions on the topic lately. What would you suggest as minimal intake and in what form (if it's not covered by normal nutrition)?
    This is very hard to say - it depends on many things such as a persons age, or stage in growth and development (or if they are pregnant/ breastfeeding in the case of a female), their training status, and if they have any underlying health concerns or goals.

Omega-6 fats (Of which I would consider LA 'essential') are usually found at sufficient levels in most peoples diets, but something around 10-20g a day (being slightly less in females/ more in males) is 'an adequate minimum' for most people (male and female) between 18 and 45 to 50 years. In terms of % of diet - most suggest about 4-6% coming from omega-6 fats.

Omega-3 fats (of which I would consider ALA, EPA and DHA all 'essential' due to the poor conversion rates) needs to be, at a minimum, a combined total about 6-7g (once again - range of between 5 and 10g). So that is about 2-4g of ALA, and a combined total of 2-3g of EPA and DHA (eg: 6 to 10g fish oil caps a day).

To combine them - it would be a 'minimum healthy % PUFA fat' of about 8-10%

But, once again - I restate that these are MINIMUMS for 'health'. They are not what is 'optimal' nor 'best', especially for those who are in heavy training or have other issues to consider.
    Last edited by Emma-Leigh; 01-11-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Detoxing from Life martina92685's Avatar
    martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP I agree with your original post, but you need to add GREEN LEAFY veggies. I personally think they are the most important vegetables.

Also, just as an added note to try to "eat the rainbow." Everyone (bb or not) should try to eat different colored fruits and vegetable at least a few times a week. People who only eat bananas for fruit are realy cheating themselves!

And iceberg lettuce should be banned from anyone's diet. It's not a veggie, it's air and water.

edit - I think I am going to love this new subforum.
    - Damnit. I got fat again. Brb: picking up the pieces and burning my excuses. -

Originally Posted by martina92685 View Post
    OP I agree with your original post, but you need to add GREEN LEAFY veggies. I personally think they are the most important vegetables.

Also, just as an added note to try to "eat the rainbow." Everyone (bb or not) should try to eat different colored fruits and vegetable at least a few times a week. People who only eat bananas for fruit are realy cheating themselves!

And iceberg lettuce should be banned from anyone's diet. It's not a veggie, it's air and water.

edit - I think I am going to love this new subforum.
    ^^^ Yes a variety of vegetables are 'good' and yes they are 'healthy'.... But are they 'essential'??

And there is a difference...

Healthy = better for your overall health.
    Essential = absence/ deficiency in these results in death.

So IMO something like what GregT posted earlier would be the 'essentials' (adequate calories/ adequate protein/ adequate vitamins and minerals).... Things like 'eating a variety of fruit and vegetables' would be 'healthier' but not 'necessary'.

granma lifts more than u! ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT!'s Avatar
    ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000)
    fruit is garbage martina unless you have your own growing then might be some use to it .

veggies ? besides fiber what do green veggies provide really ?
    just lift HEAVY A$$ weights & eat on dat healthy isht . * hellabutt psychology 101 *

I ate 3690 cals today .. 275 fat / 269 protein / 25g carbs ~ 8g fiber

yes my head was hurting from all dem dere ketones

Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000) Elfie. is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MrLovrLovr View Post
    fruit is garbage martina unless you have your own growing then might be some use to it .

You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking.

This is what green leafy vegetables provide:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=16

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=43

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=138

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=93
    Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen.

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Minimum:
    1g/lb protein
    A variety of fats
    Enough calories to meet your needs.

and that's it.

martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^^ Yes a variety of vegetables are 'good' and yes they are 'healthy'.... But are they 'essential'??

So IMO something like what GregT posted earlier would be the 'essentials' (adequate calories/ adequate protein/ adequate vitamins and minerals).... Things like 'eating a variety of fruit and vegetables' would be 'healthier' but not 'necessary'.
    Well then FINE Emma-Leigh!!

GregT posted minimums but not where to get the micros from. I posted where to get them from. If you eat a variety of fruits and veggies you're likely to get your micros (except for that devil B-12).

I don't have to respond because - Insert Elfie:

Thanks!

justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000) justfyi is just really nice. (+1000)

But arn't we talking about essential for the purposes of bodybuilding? You're right in the context of fruits and veg not being essential for life, but I would think that veggies and fruits contain a dense amount of micronutrients essential for optimum muscle performance and recovery.

Funny how most people basically agree here while there seems to be an obsession over tiny amounts of macros if you read the diet posts on the nutrition section.

Originally Posted by justfyi View Post
    But arn't we talking about essential for the purposes of bodybuilding? You're right in the context of fruits and veg not being essential for life, but I would think that veggies and fruits contain a dense amount of micronutrients essential for optimum muscle performance and recovery.
    I'm with you - but there are several people on this site who avoid fruit because of its carb count. Not everyone thinks the way we do.

¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000) ¡STFU!ˇNˆLIFT! is just really nice. (+1000)
    So vitamin k , a and c and other things we all get from our oh so precious multis ...

KAC ?!

k gotcha

I eat green veggies but only cause I like them ..

NOT A REQUIREMENt

AND YES FRUITS ARE JUST SUGAR
    just lift HEAVY A$$ weights & eat on dat healthy isht . * hellabutt psychology 101 *

Registered User GermanBarbarian's Avatar
    GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000) GermanBarbarian is just really nice. (+1000)
    My RDI for lifting (about 2x RDI for majority of nutrients) for 2000 kcals unless stated otherwise

Calcium 1.6 gm/day
    Iodine 300ug/day
    Iron 36 mg/day
    Phosphorus 1.6 gm/day
    Magnesium 1.0 gm/day
    Zinc 45 mg/day
    Vitamin A 8,000 I.U per day = 1600 R.E.
    Thiamin 1.6 mg per 1000 kcal/day
    Riboflavin 1.2 mg per 1000 kcal/day
    Folacin 800 ug/day
    Vitamin B6 4.0 mg/day
    Vitamin B12 6.0 ug/day
    Absorbic Acid 120 mg/day
    Vitamin D 30 ug/day
    Vitamin E 16 mg/day T.E.

Calcium and phosphorus can be obtained by 4 cups of milk along with about 66% of the rdi for riboflavin about

Magnesium, Zinc, and iron are found in large quantities in cocoa powder

Iodine and a whole gamut of trace minerals can be obtained from either fish (certain fish especially sardines are good source of vitamin b12, b6, Folacin, and vitamin D) or seaweed

Peanuts are a very good source of Thiamin, Folacin, and Vitamin E

What I want to know is if one essentially balances the b-vitamins will they have a balanced diet?
    Last edited by GermanBarbarian; 01-12-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Actual ------> Goal
    Bench
    265 ---------> 405
    Squat
    350 ---------> 600
    Deadlift
    425 ---------> 700
    **All raw**

Originally Posted by martina92685 View Post
    Well then FINE Emma-Leigh!!

GregT posted minimums but not where to get the micros from. I posted where to get them from. If you eat a variety of fruits and veggies you're likely to get your micros (except for that devil B-12).
    [devils advocate]
    .... Variety doesn't necessarily = you get your requirement... You can still be very much less than what you need, even if you eat a large range....(as you say in your wording - it increases the likelihood, but doesn't assure it)
    For example
    - Many of the frozen/ transported/ sitting in a back storeroom for 6 months vegetables that are available now days have much lower levels of micronutrients than people realise... So what if you live in places that depend on these sorts of supplies?
    - What about things like 'anti-nutrients' that are in some vegetables? eg: oxalates in green vegetables - they bind calcium and prevent absorption...
    - On the other hand most 'micro's' you CAN get from supplements at 'known/ standardised' doses... So why not save yourself the calories and use sups?
    [/devils advocate]

My feelings.... As long as we are not talking about vegetables that have had the 'goodness flogged out of them' via transport/ storage, then most vegetables and fruits not only have the benefit of vitamins/ minerals with good biological availability, and in good co-absorbed combinations... BUT they also give OTHER things that you CAN'T get from sups (examples would be phyto-nutrients and bioactive compounds, with many yet unknown substances that have anti-cancer/ anti-dementia/ anti-diabetes effects + many additional health benefits...)

Originally Posted by justfyi View Post
    Yes and no (see above...).

But to ask YOU a question in response --> what, in your opinion, would you see as being something given only by vegetables/ fruits that are 'optimal for muscle performance/ recovery' that you couldn't get from a supplement?

eg: are there any bioactive compounds in fruit/ vegetables that, to your knowledge, are 'optimal' for bodybuilding?

AND YES FRUITS ARE JUST SUGAR
    And if you think this then you need to do a little more reading.

Originally Posted by GermanBarbarian View Post
    My RDI for lifting (about 2x RDI for majority of nutrients) for 2000 kcals unless stated otherwise

Calcium 1.6 gm/day
    Iodine 300ug/day
    Iron 36 mg/day
    Phosphorus 1.6 gm/day
    Magnesium 1.0 gm/day
    Zinc 45 mg/day
    Vitamin A 8,000 I.U per day = 1600 R.E.
    Thiamin 1.6 mg per 1000 kcal/day
    Riboflavin 1.2 mg per 1000 kcal/day
    Folacin 800 ug/day
    Vitamin B6 4.0 mg/day
    Vitamin B12 6.0 ug/day
    Absorbic Acid 120 mg/day
    Vitamin D 30 ug/day
    Vitamin E 16 mg/day T.E.
    Hmmm.... interesting --> What made you pick these levels??

Fruit is at LEAST 50% fructose

No im not joking ..

this is Advanced nutrition right ?

step your gals game up and don't try to sound like a typical nutritionalist who majority of are full of it ..
    Last edited by MrLovrLovr; 01-14-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No im not joking ..

this is Advanced nutrition right ?

step your gals game up and don't try to sound like a typical nutritionalist who majority of are full of **** ..
    Fruit is at least 50% fructose? Are you serious? Most fruit is at least 70% water.