Thread: lower abs

dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500) dollyisfit is not very helpful. (-500)

lower abs

When i flex my abs i can see my upper abs but not my lower abs, whats the differnce between upper and lower abs that means i can't see my lower abs. Is it diet or do i need to focous more on exercises specifically for the lower abs like reverse crunches. How does everybody else train their lower abs?

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can't train upper and lower abs separately, it's one muscle- rectus abdomini.
    Seeing definition in that area goes back to your body fat percentahe lowering which is a function of your diet, not specific exercises.

Tact has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dollyisfit View Post
    When i flex my abs i can see my upper abs but not my lower abs, whats the differnce between upper and lower abs that means i can't see my lower abs. Is it diet or do i need to focous more on exercises specifically for the lower abs like reverse crunches. How does everybody else train their lower abs?
    Hanging leg raises kill for lower abs...they make me want to cry.

Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    You can't train upper and lower abs separately, it's one muscle- rectus abdomini.
    Seeing definition in that area goes back to your body fat percentahe lowering which is a function of your diet, not specific exercises.
    This.

If you want to strengthen the lower portion, Hanging leg raises are killer.
    Squat, Deadlift, Row, Bench, Press, repeat.

♦ ɴɣϲ ϲrew ♦

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm still not having huge luck getting my lower abs to show through, but I can definitely feel more fat over them than on my upper abs. It is all one muscle, but somehow lower leg raises really seem to target the lower half of the abs while crunches work the upper half more. All the women I've seen with killer visible lower abs have a really low bf %.

sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sweethunibabi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by goalorientgirl View Post
    I'm still not having huge luck getting my lower abs to show through, but I can definitely feel more fat over them than on my upper abs. It is all one muscle, but somehow lower leg raises really seem to target the lower half of the abs while crunches work the upper half more. All the women I've seen with killer visible lower abs have a really low bf %.

Do you not already have a really low BF %? You're 5'8" and 112?

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by goalorientgirl View Post
    At your stats you should be gaining muscle, not lowering bodyfat.

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    At your stats you should be gaining muscle, not lowering bodyfat.
    That's actually what I'm working on - I'm just trying to gain muscle right now (I'm still really scrawny, although at least feeling more and more firm), not lose any fat. My bf is good (not as low as you might think from stats though, I have weirdly narrow shoulders/ribs), but I can tell there are local deposits over certain areas (like the lower abs). Still, in my case, at this stage it's muscle I need, not fat reduction.

SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyGymnast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dollyisfit View Post
    I like doing jack-knife situps - 5 sets, high reps.

karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) karoline8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    weighted leg raises , hanging or lying down...are always good.
    ...karoline...

Registered User ChelleyCredible's Avatar
    ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChelleyCredible is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Red1922 View Post
    This.

If you want to strengthen the lower portion, Hanging leg raises are killer.
    How many you suggest doing? I do about 12 reps 4 sets

joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This feels like a dumb question but...what is up with the hanging leg raises? I tried them for the first time ever yesterday, and i must have been doing them wrong because i felt absolutely nothing in my abs or anywhere else for that matter. I just hung from the pullup bar and brought my knees up toward my chest, back down and repeat...is this correct???

Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danni89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by joyce261 View Post
    This feels like a dumb question but...what is up with the hanging leg raises? I tried them for the first time ever yesterday, and i must have been doing them wrong because i felt absolutely nothing in my abs or anywhere else for that matter. I just hung from the pullup bar and brought my knees up toward my chest, back down and repeat...is this correct???
    im no expert on them. but try them on the ground. focus on keeping abs tight whilst keeping your legs as close to ground as possible without dropping. these kill me.
    Danni xx

Follow me and my preparation for my first bikini competition - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130934703

greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) greesemuunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by joyce261 View Post
    Make sure you don't swing when you do them. That makes a BIG difference. Have someone hold your back steady while you concentrate on lifting your knees up. I love this exercise and it really strengthens the abs FAST!
    *"Obession is just a word the lazy try to call the dedicated"*--not mine, but a great quote!

Protein is to diets what black is to fashion: It makes everyone thinner." -- Lou Schuler

~A WOMAN'S PLACE IS IN THE WEIGHT ROOM!~

Anniepops has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What about keeping your legs straight when you do the hanging leg raises? You said you just lifted your knees up?

mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mccanin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    exactly what the above posters said. hang from the pull up bar completely still. keep your legs straight (slightly bent at the knees is fine) and bring your legs up as if you are going into a pike position. it's hard to hold your body still from swinging as you bring your legs up. slow and control is key as well.

i don't go as high as that, i go to til i make an L with my body. as you can see, he is completely still.

great way to practice before going straight to the pull up bar (which has worked for me) is using the roman chair, doing decline bench leg raises, and just flat bench leg raises.

dubbywubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You must've been using your momentum and swinging yourself rather than lifting with tour abs you were using your legs. Try to literally forget your legs are part of your body and engage your core to really lift with your abs, and do it as slow as can be controlled hold the rep for 2 seconds come back down slow for 4 seconds and you should feel them, if not use weights inbetween your feet or ankle weights. Hope this helps

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dubbywubb View Post
    You must've been using your momentum and swinging yourself rather than lifting with tour abs you were using your legs. Try to literally forget your legs are part of your body and engage your core to really lift with your abs, and do it as slow as can be controlled hold the rep for 2 seconds come back down slow for 4 seconds and you should feel them, if not use weights inbetween your feet or ankle weights. Hope this helps
    Seeing as this was five years ago, I'm sure OP figured out how to train her abs, but in case she's still struggling, it's great that you were here to save the day.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree...hanging leg raises all the way....I also use the weighted plates and hold one on each side and do the side dips...kills my obliques..

jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    Seeing as this was five years ago, I'm sure OP figured out how to train her abs, but in case she's still struggling, it's great that you were here to save the day.
    <
    instagram: @mackitten
    cats ;) instagram: @khanthebengal

Currently running PR Bulgarian Method template
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170583541&amp;p=1425289591&amp;viewfull=1#post1425289591

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170108803&pagenumber=

You think you know ... what's to come ... what you are. You haven't even begun.