phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

knees hurt from squats?

Hey guys. Recently I've been doing squats and my knees have been hurting. They hurt all the time. Even if im walking, standing, siting or anything. But not to bad just a little. But they hurt real bad when I sit indian style on the floor. I used to be able to do that fine but now it hurts my knees. I cant sit indian style for more then 5 minutes without really bad pain. Anyone know whats wrong?

Thanks

PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Squat at least parallel
    Push your knees outwards

Failure to do these 2 things puts strain on your knees

Crede quod habes, et habes.
    Believe that you have it, and you have it.

phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phaggots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post
    Squat at least parallel
    Push your knees outwards

Failure to do these 2 things puts strain on your knees
    I squat to the top of my thigh is parallel to the ground. And I also keep my knees in line with my foot. I am about shoulder width apart and my toes are pointed about 45 degrees out.

PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How long have you been squatting? How much weight are we talking about?

I get some sort of doms like pain in my knees, but this is largely because I am not very flexible at the moment. It doesnt stop me from doing anything and I'm able to push through it.

Tank.. Tank.. TAAAANK. WannaBeATank's Avatar
    WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by *******s View Post
    I squat to the top of my thigh is parallel to the ground. And I also keep my knees in line with my foot. I am about shoulder width apart and my toes are pointed about 45 degrees out.
    That is not parallel.

Parallel is when your knee joints and hips are parallel.

That may be why.
    Look me in the eye. It's okay if you are scared, so am I, but we are scared for different reasons. I am scared of what I willn't become, you are scared of what I could become. Look at me! I will not let myself end where I started, I will not let myself finish where I begin. I know what is within me, even if you can't see it yet. Look me in the eyes, I have something more important than courage, I have patience. I will become what I know I am.

ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How far past your toes do you knees travel at the bottom of your squat?
    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

@Powdermonkey- I have been squatting for about 6 weeks now. My knees were fine before I started squatting. It isnt much weight. I am doing 225 for reps.

@Wannabeatank- I thought what I was doing was parallel. So I need to come down more about 2 inches?

@Ericmiller- I am not sure about this. I just looked at form on youtube and seen that you just need to keep your knees in line with the way your feet are pointed. So I just worry about keeping them pushed out so they dont come inward.

Thanks for the help guys.

ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericmiller220 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by *******s View Post
    @Powdermonkey- I have been squatting for about 6 weeks now. My knees were fine before I started squatting. It isnt much weight. I am doing 225 for reps.

@Ericmiller- I am not sure about this. I just looked at form on youtube and seen that you just need to keep your knees in line with the way your feet are pointed. So I just worry about keeping them pushed out so they dont come inward.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Bolded - you didn't do any squatting in the past and after a month and a half you're squatting 225?

Yes your knees need to keep in line with you knees (called tracking over you knees). The angle doesn't have to be exact, but should be pointed out 30 or so degrees. Your knees shouldn't "buckle" in during the squat, and you should be squatting so that your knees don't track past your toes. If they go over your toes it puts too much pressure on some of smaller muscles around your knees.
    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Originally Posted by WannaBeATank View Post
    That is not parallel.

Parallel is when your knee joints and hips are parallel.

That may be why.
    You need to learn what "parallel" means. Not just with squats, but generally. It involves 2 lines. Knee and hip joints are not lines.

A squat is parallel or below when the crease where your thigh meets your hips is below the top of your knee joint. This usually means that the top of your thighs (one line) is parallel to the ground (the other line)

Tasty diagram

Originally Posted by ericmiller220 View Post
    Bolded - you didn't do any squatting in the past and after a month and a half you're squatting 225?

Yes your knees need to keep in line with you knees (called tracking over you knees). The angle doesn't have to be exact, but should be pointed out 30 or so degrees. Your knees shouldn't "buckle" in during the squat, and you should be squatting so that your knees don't track past your toes. If they go over your toes it puts too much pressure on some of smaller muscles around your knees.
    it's ok if your knees come past your toes. The important thing is that the weight stays over the middle of the feet. It is true that you should try to minimize the forward travel of your knees, but it is impossible to stop your knees from going past your knees and achieve a parallel squat. Too much forward travel of the knees means you aren't sitting back enough

Op, perhaps you could post a video of your squats?

Also, if your knees are becoming swollen or inflamed it would be wise to see a doctor about it. Do not listen to them if they tell you that squatting deep is bad for your knees. Do listen to everything else they tell you, even if they tell you that squatting deep is bad for your knees.

They generally don't know the best way to work out, but they do know the best way to fix what is messed up

Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post

it's ok if your knees come past your toes. The important thing is that the weight stays over the middle of the feet. It is true that you should try to minimize the forward travel of your knees, but it is impossible to stop your knees from going past your knees and achieve a parallel squat. Too much forward travel of the knees means you aren't sitting back enough
    Thanks for the info. I do notice that my knees travel a couple of inches over my toes.

I think it does help to be conscious of this though because it helps me keep my form in check by sitting back and keeping the weight over my feet.

I will try to get a video tomorrow when I go back to gym. Thanks for all your help.

And yes I started SS and I think I might have started with a higher weight then I should have.

I am doing 225 3x5.