JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Example for HIIT cardio?

I own basically every thread on the first page in this section lol.

Can someone give me a good example of HIIT cardio, can it be performed on a treadmill with the intervals as a complete stop? For example set the speed to a sprint for 30-40 secounds, then just stand on the side of the treadmill for about 1 minute without adjusting the speed all the time, then jump back on the tread and sprint.

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are going to do sprint intervals....I suggest 15-20 seconds

30-40 second all out effort? Not many could honestly do that.
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

ur not ur f*cking khakis bwelch1985's Avatar
    bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    the idea is to go BALLS OUT 100% effort during the "sprint" portion. i don't know of many people that can do that for 30-40 seconds.

imo, the best way to learn what HIIT is all about is to go outside, find a moderately steep hill and do your sprints there. go full speed as fast as you possibly can up the hill, then walk back down...when you get to the bottom, sprint right back up. even if it only takes you 10 seconds to get to the top i guarantee you'll be dying after just a few intervals.

it's hard to put 100% into treadmill sprints b/c the pace is set for you. an elliptical or bike would be much more conducive to HIIT as you can pedal as fast as you can.

wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FATHER FLEX View Post

this... it's really hard to do HIIT on a treadmill since it takes a second for the tread to get up to speed and then down... and if you try to jump straight into a sprint it wouldn't be pretty.

i like to do it on a stationary bike, where i can control the resistance and it almost instantly changes. usually like 10 intervals of 15sec sprint with high resistance, then 45sec lighter resistance lower speed for recovery. i also like to throw a little longer cooldown, kind of like a pseudo-LISS, which i usually do for about 15min after finishing the intervals

all in all about a 30 min workout, including a 5 min w/u and stretching afterwords
    "The weak-minded would shrink away from what must be done for fear of being ridiculed by the wicked" - Terry Goodkind

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"...-Ghandi

Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158667243

ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bwelch1985 View Post
    the idea is to go BALLS OUT 100% effort during the "sprint" portion. i don't know of many people that can do that for 30-40 seconds.

imo, the best way to learn what HIIT is all about is to go outside, find a moderately steep hill and do your sprints there. go full speed as fast as you possibly can up the hill, then walk back down...when you get to the bottom, sprint right back up. even if it only takes you 10 seconds to get to the top i guarantee you'll be dying after just a few intervals.

it's hard to put 100% into treadmill sprints b/c the pace is set for you. an elliptical or bike would be much more conducive to HIIT as you can pedal as fast as you can.
    yup exactly. this works well.

in my experience i like to do hiit on a treadmill, eliptical, or stair master.

for example on t-mill
    3.5 mph @ 5.0 incline 1 minute
    then
    10.5mph @ 0 incline for 30 seconds
    (repeat)

roughly 16 minutes

JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Yeah true, diddnt really think.

For the intervals could i do a complete stop? Just remove my feet from the tread, because chaning the speed all the time will be anoying..

What about HIIT on a stationary bike?

- 30 secounds high intensity
    - 1 minute low intensity

Repeat X amount of times (15 minutes)

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Yeah true, diddnt really think.

For the intervals could i do a complete stop? Just remove my feet from the tread, because chaning the speed all the time will be anoying..
    For that reason I'd recommend doing your HIIT on a stationary bike or elliptical. Another viable option is doing your sprint work outside.

I do mine on the stationary bike with a 15/45 work/rest ratio. I don't see any reason why you'd try to do longer than 15-20 seconds for the "all out" portion. I know at about the 10 second mark the burn in my legs is so severe I'm counting the seconds till I can slow down.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP you training for a contest or something? Just seems you want everything perfect (good thing)

Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    For that reason I'd recommend doing your HIIT on a stationary bike or elliptical. Another viable option is doing your sprint work outside.

I do mine on the stationary bike with a 15/45 work/rest ratio. I don't see any reason why you'd try to do longer than 15-20 seconds for the "all out" portion. I know at about the 10 second mark the burn in my legs is so severe I'm counting the seconds till I can slow down.
    How much sets do you do or do you just do it for X amount of time, like 15 minutes or something?

Also do you have it on a hard level for resistance?

Originally Posted by MrOJ View Post
    OP you training for a contest or something? Just seems you want everything perfect (good thing)
    Nah not competiting, but just want to get down to about 5% ..

Its all practice, in a way.

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    How much sets do you do or do you just do it for X amount of time, like 15 minutes or something?

Also do you have it on a hard level for resistance?
    Right now I'm doing a 5 minute warm up, 15 intervals, then finishing with a 15 minute cool down. I usually use level 4 or 5 on the bike, depending on how sore my legs are from training. Enough to provide resistance but not so much than I can't generate some sufficient RPMs.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)

- 1 minute low intensity

Yep, like these other guys said.....unless you are Jason Borne, I dont see how you can sprint balls out for 30 seconds. Honestly, I can do 15 seconds or so when im fresh but by my 5th or 6th interval, im tetering right out at the end of my sprint. I usually set up about a 50-75 yard sprint on the football field or I do 15 second intervals on an recumbant if the weather is nasty outside. The recumbant does save your knees from getting thrashed especially when you get leaner they take a beating.

I just watched Berto's video on 3DMJ of him doing the hill sprints and that inspired me to give those a shot. Ill be eying up some local hills to try this out come spring time when im getting to the end of prep.
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) simpleguy4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

- 1 minute low intensity

30 seconds is to long...you can not go 100% for that long. 10-5 seconds max if truly going all out every time...nothing held back. If you are able to go 30 seconds...you are not going hard enough!!! Same with the treadmill....no one can go 100% for 30 seconds. I am with BWelch...find a short hill and sprint up--walk down and repeat.
    Athletic Xtreme Sponsored Athlete-TEAM AX
    Quest Protein Bar Athlete
    Nutrient Sciences/Kymera Energy Rep
    2012 Team Universe MW Champion
    Member Team USA 2012 IFBB Worlds-Ecuador

kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kodiak6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For HIIT, I always switch it up. Sprinting, stationary bike (I like this because you can go balls out without worrying about falling off lol), stairmaster, and elliptical. I've been following this protocol, outlined by Shelby Starnes:

-5 minute warm-up

-15 minutes of intervals
    *Each interval will last one minute (so you'll have 15 total intervals) for the first 45 seconds of the interval you will only go at about 50% of your maximum, then for the final 15 seconds you will go all out, as hard as you can.*

-10 minute cool down

Hope this helps
    Chew Crew: Fear Us

NJ crew 201

Rep back 500+

hard work + consistency + time = results

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My HIIT has always been done on the elliptical or the bike. 15 seconds all out sprint followed by a 45 second crawl. I have also done TABATA cardio. It's brutal. Warm up for 4 minutes first. Then sprint for 20 seconds and then crawl for 10 seconds. 8 intervals takes 4 minutes. It's brutal, but short and sweet.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrOJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    damn! aqt 5% you'd look even more shredded. Jealous much

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also if they fit in with your schedule these are great variations! Specially if you are handy with the BB.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...with_complexes

Probably something better left for offseason HIIT

I also enjoy these!

Higher intensity cardio doesn't always have to be 15/45's IMO
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    10-12 second sprint 50 second walk. Intervals are different for everyone. Warm up and cooldown.

Doneskie
    Just a weight lifter

Also if they fit in with your schedule these are great variations! Specially if you are handy with the BB.

I also enjoy these!

Good suggestions, I threw in some KB Swings for HIIT early on in my prep and they destroyed me. Speaking of getting destroyed I also pulled out this demonic contraption...

Not something I'd do at this stage in the game but it's definitely one of most visceral and manly methods of conditioning. I loaded it up with 90lbs and I did 20yard pushes with 30 seconds of recovery for 15 rounds.

its not just water weight Webber91's Avatar
    Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used to jump on the cross trainer and do intervals of 10 seconds @ 100% : 20 seconds @ just barely moving. Did this for like 10-12 minutes and saw stars every time.

Now I just do them outside on a hill. All out sprint for ~ 10-12 seconds and then a slow jog back down for about 40 seconds.

Edit: Erick, those prowlers are brutal! We used to use them as part of our conditioning pre-season training for footy. Everyone on our team had a love-hate relationship with them.

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I also enjoy these!

While those look fun, I see myself throwing the kettleball threw the mirror. I'd imagine that would cause quite the scene.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I will say that I used to do my HIIT on a stationary bike, that is, until this last contest prep. It literally got to the point where before I would even hit interval 5, it hurt like hell to sit on the pad because I had no cushion of bodyfat left in my glutes. So I had to improvise and moved over to the old-school StairMaster (not the StairMill with rotating steps). It was another easy way to control resistance for intervals and worked in the same manner as the other methods described above without having to sit down lol. As funny as that sounds, it was bloody painful to sit and do HIIT! Plus, you get the extra added bonus of being able to put emphasis on the glutes!

Sporto
    Core Nutritionals Sponsored Athlete
    IFPA Professional Natural Bodybuilder
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer

Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    one i did to switch it up, walk on the treadmill at a 4 for 40-50 secs, then hop off do 5 up downs/burpees, get back on, repeat 10+ times you'll be toasty, HR goes up like WOAH

also jump rope to burpee variation, nice for when you don't want to go to the gym

if your legs are getting beat up, a rowing machine with your feet on the floor can work too, or hitting the heavy bag

extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Quelly View Post
    one i did to switch it up, walk on the treadmill at a 4 for 40-50 secs, then hop off do 5 up downs/burpees, get back on, repeat 10+ times you'll be toasty, HR goes up like WOAH

also jump rope to burpee variation, nice for when you don't want to go to the gym

if your legs are getting beat up, a rowing machine with your feet on the floor can work too, or hitting the heavy bag
    Was just about to suggest the rowing machine... Gets your back going too Always nice to add in cardio involving the upper body as well!
    [Fat Loss|Nutrition|www.MRTIMOTHYLEE.com|Training|ContestPrep]

Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I own basically every thread on the first page in this section lol.

Can someone give me a good example of HIIT cardio, can it be performed on a treadmill with the intervals as a complete stop? For example set the speed to a sprint for 30-40 secounds, then just stand on the side of the treadmill for about 1 minute without adjusting the speed all the time, then jump back on the tread and sprint.
    Forget about arbitrary High/Low Time perscriptions. Without working with you directly, nobody can tell you what your recovery time is....

The idea is to recover to whatever heart rate you're looking for before hitting the high-end again. A 1 minute low is probably a good starting point; however, in the beginning, it may take you longer than 60 seconds to adequately recover. You're not looking to go back to a low intensity heart rate but you do want to get yourself out of the danger zone. For me, the high end is my max heart rate; the low end that I look for is about 140'ish. The better shape you're in, the faster you will recover after the sprint. An Elite athlete - e.g., olympic sprinter, NFL Wide-out, NHL player - might be able to fully recover in 30 seconds.

What FFLex said around high times is pretty good. Think of it in terms of 100 and 400 Meter sprinting. IN my best shape these days, I can do the 100 in about 10.5 seconds. But, the 400 takes me a little over 1 minute. In other words, I can run all-out for 10 seconds before I fall apart. For a 400, the pace naturally has to be a little slower or you just wont make it around the track. Hence, the idea that 10-20 seconds all out is about it for you.

SO:
    Go all out for about 10-20 seconds, check your heart rate after one minute. If you're reovered sufficiently, you're ready for the next interval; if not, you need a little longer, maybe 75 seconds... As you do this, that recovery time will be less. Your high end time will not move much though.

Thats my take on it.

Finally, Sprint work - be it running, biking etc - is better done outside. The Treadmill is just way too cumbersome and, frankly, dangerous for this kind of work. I speak from experience. you just haven't lived until you smash your face of the panal of the treadmill.
    "The best gift that you can give your children is to Love their Mother"

Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Flynn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by zmcdole View Post
    I have also done TABATA cardio. It's brutal. Warm up for 4 minutes first. Then sprint for 20 seconds and then crawl for 10 seconds. 8 intervals takes 4 minutes. It's brutal, but short and sweet.
    I also used Dr. Tabata's protocol in 2008 during prep. And yes, it is brutal .

Originally Posted by Sporto1633 View Post
    ..I had to improvise and moved over to the old-school StairMaster (not the StairMill with rotating steps).
    Same here TJ - between that and the Spin Bike

Luck - "when preparation and opportunity meet."

"You can not make me feel inferior [nor can you embarrass me] without my consent" - E. Roosevelt.