Closed Thread
    tomandhaas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

protein intake and gout

Man I cant walk, someone needs to help me

I am 38, i have worked out off and on my whole life, recently Ive been taking whey, animal paks, and some hard core time in my home gym, i was seeing awsome gains for me, then bang !!! I cant walk !!! no dropped 25's on the toe or anything.....

The doc said I have gout

big toe is like ruldolf's nose

I guess gout is all about protein

why have i never read anything about gout in all the issues of any muscle mag i have read, i have read 100's of them....

GOUT BLOWS

i stopped taking the whey , it subsides, but i start taking it again, then BAM and its like im a 100 year old guy

please any wifes tales or voodoo cures welcome

becoming godsized! bodybuilder45's Avatar
    bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    are you sure gout is about protein? i always thought it from uric acid buildup. do you eat red meat, sardines, scallops, or cream sauces a lot because this will definitely contribute? also drinking alcohol on a regular basis will interfere with the removal of uric acid from the body. some medications will worsen the cause as well. i guess protein in general may cause a buildup of uric aid but there is a huge list of foods (carb and fat sources as well) that are linked to gout.

GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GTv8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Please do some more research...Gout is not just about protein. I suffered from Gout for years which in my case I believe it was due to poor diet (too much fast foods and beer). I still drink too much beer but have cleaned up my diet and increased my water intake. I still drink protein shakes and eat chicken, beef or fish every night and have been attack free for two years. The key for me I believe was the increase in water. Everyone is different but this is what worked for me.

ps...go to the doc if you have not already. They will prescribe some pills that work fantastic. Don't suffer through it like I did many times. It can cause permanent damage to the joints.

samsingh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Wink

can u guys pls let me know the systoms of gout .

vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Go get yourself some concentrated black cherry juice and drink it a few times a day. It'll help you get back on your feet, literally, a lot faster.

iracekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iracekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a Dr. appointment this coming Thursday the 22nd to see about mine. I am shocked I can't knock mine out with the way I changed my eating habits. I have not had sodas since Nov of 2006 to start off with. I drink mainly water and milk(1%) and crystal light. I have occasional tea no sugar and coffee with splenda. I eat red meat once a week and mainly stick to chicken and fruits and vegetables. If anybody out there has had gout and got checked out by a Dr. have you since then been able to get off the medications. I just dread having to worry about what it could do to my liver. I only have a beer about every 6 weeks and drink 3-4 quarts of water a day. It's amazing I have went from 247 down to 211 and still going and now my gout tends to bother me more. I have been trying the Black cherry concentrate about a glass a day and it did not seem to help I tried for a week maybe that was not long enough. Right now the gout is not bothering me I don't know if the Black Cherry started helping or what. I have read that even though it is not bothering you at the time it is still best to get checked out by a Dr. Please if you have any info or input please let me know.
    Life of a motocross racer! To get the hole shot once the gate drops. To blast through the whoops and jump the doubles and triples. The greatest of all of this is to wave at the flagger as you soar over the top of him at the finish line.

sevensixzero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by samsingh View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout

faizrezwan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

asymptomatic hyper uricemia

is similar to gout but without the major attacks. So is there any form of protein free of purine which gout sufferers can take?

iracekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iracekx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Update

I have an update on my gout. I have now lost 60 lbs and run all the time for my cardio along with the stairmaster. I am no longer bothered by the gout. I went about 2 weeks ago for my physical and told the Dr. and he told me that when you loose weight that your uric acid drops down alot. So if you are overweight I can't stress how much it helped me out. I can eat red meat and shell fish with no problems. I still don't go crazy on red meat I still stick to turkey and chicken. I use to not be able to eat spinach without causing serious problems now I eat spinach like no tomorrow I sit and eat the whole can. I thought that I would pass this info along.
    Life of a motocross racer! To get the hole shot once the gate drops. To blast through the whoops and jump the doubles and triples. The greatest of all of this is to wave at the flagger as you soar over the top of him at the finish line.

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/Ne...ch%20foods.pdf

OP: Go over that article... Pure protein sources like Whey should not cause Gout. It is only meat/chicken/fish, etc... Thats b/c gout is associated with eating purine rich food, which are foods such as muscle, etc....

HTH
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

Registered User Quasimodosbelfr's Avatar
    Quasimodosbelfr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Purines are to blame

I've suffered from gout for a few years now. Always controlled with a mix of painkillers and colchicine.

I've tried to be very careful of my diet and especially in Asia, that's difficult with soy being so common in so many of the dishes here in Singapore.

Years ago I'd used GNC's 100% whey with no side effects but my gout wasn't really a problem then. I stopped for some time but started taking them again because I was working out more regularly. Today I had to return a bottle of protein supps because it contained soy. Checking every brand of protein supplement in the GNC store at the mall, I discovered that EVERY brand contained soy!

Soy is seriously bad for gout; it contains high levels of purine which break down into uric acid. These rise in concentration until levels are high enough for crystals to form in the synovail fluid of your joints. That's what causes the excrutiating pain.

Personally, I hydrate heavily. I down almost 3 litres of water a day every work day; I have a jug on my desk that I constantly refill. This helps to stave off attacks. But the recent supplementation with protein powder triggered a bad attack after two weeks.

I made some enquiries and was told that soy's added to the protein mix as an emulsifier. Whatever the reason, I'm looking out for a brand of protein powder that contains no soy AT ALL. Gout sufferers out there, look at the fine print on the label.

Incidentally, when I was at GNC today, I picked up a bottle of LEUKIC... even though it contains soy. I'm hoping that the amt of soy in the daily dose is insignificant enough to give me problems.

I hope to keep you posted.

jag1010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

gout and whey protein

I have also had gout bouts when taking whey protein and am certain it is a trigger, and i am talking about the bodybuilding whey protein. There isnt much on the net on whey and gout and some articles say whey protein is good for gout, but in my experience it absolutly a gout trigger, so please be careful, or just stay with food protein. I was diagnosed 2 years back with gout and have recovered well using alkalife, the secret to preventing gout is to keep the body more alkaline, as msu or gout crystals which attack your jount are only soluble in an alkaline solution.

bklyn21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Iam back in the gym for 1 month and have my 3rd gout flare up! Each time I take protein shake a few hours later-wham. I have gnc products with soy,so I am going to search for pure whey concentrate.

I am on a bulk getting around 340-360 grams a day and I will have a flare up every once and a while. I just try and consume more water that day than normal. That seems to help out a lot I already drink over a gallon a day of water everyday. Drinking the shakes don't bother me it's just when I am on a bulk I will see it from time to time.

vickywatts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Symptoms may occur after an illness or surgery.
    Some people may not experience gout as many painful attacks but rather develop chronic gout. Chronic gout in older adults may be less painful and can be confused with other forms of arthritis.
    Gout may first appear as nodules (tophi) on the hands, elbows, or ears. There may be no classic symptoms of a gout attack.

By the time you experience the symptoms of a gout attack, uric acid has been building up in your blood, and uric acid deposits have been forming on one or more of your joints.

The big toe joint is most commonly affected. But the joints of the feet, ankles, knees, wrists, fingers, and elbows may also be involved. Inflammation of the fluid sacs (bursae) that cushion tissues may develop, particularly in the elbow (olecranon bursitis) and knee (prepatellar bursitis).

professional1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink Gout tips. I've researched it and live with it.

Originally Posted by tomandhaas View Post
    Man I cant walk, someone needs to help me

I am 38, i have worked out off and on my whole life, recently Ive been taking whey, animal paks, and some hard core time in my home gym, i was seeing awsome gains for me, then bang !!! I cant walk !!! no dropped 25's on the toe or anything.....

The doc said I have gout

big toe is like ruldolf's nose

I guess gout is all about protein

why have i never read anything about gout in all the issues of any muscle mag i have read, i have read 100's of them....

GOUT BLOWS

i stopped taking the whey , it subsides, but i start taking it again, then BAM and its like im a 100 year old guy

please any wifes tales or voodoo cures welcome

Response--I've been there.
    alright bro- i just wrote an article on my blog. I've had gout for long time 17 years done tons of studying on it. still have it if not careful. Check blog at needofmoney.org on the blog page. Lots of stuff med science just now learning. Quit with the protein (I kno it sucks!) Its gotta be that way. Flush with more water than you ever have before. Coffee can help. DONT LOSE WEIGHT FAST! Ketosis is bad for gout flares. Eat good, clean. veggies and such and now they find relationship between fructose ie. apples soda, fruit and increased uric acid levels. Read my blog for more tips.good luck with it. Diet, less protein and more veg, complex carbs. Usually once you have it gets worse everytime it flares up. Do not let it continue, joint damage can happen. Be careful friend!

Unhappy protein and gout dont mix!

Originally Posted by bklyn21 View Post
    Iam back in the gym for 1 month and have my 3rd gout flare up! Each time I take protein shake a few hours later-wham. I have gnc products with soy,so I am going to search for pure whey concentrate.
    Listen, I've lived with gout for years. You have to cut the protein. Either live with the joint damage and the gout gets worse or chill out on the protein all together. dont lose weight too fast either. Flush with tons of water and take nsaids with food for pain and reduce swelling. doesnt matter which powder u use. its all the same to gout.
    good luck. read my article at ezines i just wrote today about it. keyword Allopurinol, prevent gout, treatment of gout,
    actually it wont be published for couple days as I just wrote it today. good luck. same basic infor at my blog at needofmoney.org if you want. good luck

Originally Posted by samsingh View Post
    yes, gout is characterized by swollen red and very hot joints. usually the big toe, thumb, elbow. reason is further from the heart more susceptible. hurts like hell

texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) texicus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by professional1 View Post
    Response--I've been there.
    alright bro- i just wrote an article on my blog. I've had gout for long time 17 years done tons of studying on it. still have it if not careful. Check blog at needofmoney.org on the blog page. Lots of stuff med science just now learning. Quit with the protein (I kno it sucks!) Its gotta be that way. Flush with more water than you ever have before. Coffee can help. DONT LOSE WEIGHT FAST! Ketosis is bad for gout flares. Eat good, clean. veggies and such and now they find relationship between fructose ie. apples soda, fruit and increased uric acid levels. Read my blog for more tips.good luck with it. Diet, less protein and more veg, complex carbs. Usually once you have it gets worse everytime it flares up. Do not let it continue, joint damage can happen. Be careful friend!
    you're bumping a thread that's over two years old you fukking idiot
    Johns Hopkins '16

dadoody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by professional1 View Post
    Listen, I've lived with gout for years. You have to cut the protein. Either live with the joint damage and the gout gets worse or chill out on the protein all together. dont lose weight too fast either. Flush with tons of water and take nsaids with food for pain and reduce swelling. doesnt matter which powder u use. its all the same to gout.
    good luck. read my article at ezines i just wrote today about it. keyword Allopurinol, prevent gout, treatment of gout,
    actually it wont be published for couple days as I just wrote it today. good luck. same basic infor at my blog at needofmoney.org if you want. good luck
    I've never had gout, and I take a pretty high protein diet. I think the issue is more with your own body then the protein intake, and from this article I read: [OK, its not letting me post the link]

Whey protein may actually help with Gout than cause it.

Great question, Larry! You've won our question of the week... email us your contact info so we can send your free gift in the mail.

You've hit on a topic that even many medical professionals often get confused over. But to answer you, we need to go back to the basics first.

Gout used to be called "the disease of Kings", since only those who could afford rich, heavy foods would be prone to developing it. As any nutritionist can tell you, these foods would be those high in purines, which include red meats, seafood, organ meats, legumes, and foods made from yeast such as beer, alcohol and breads.

What many people DON'T realize is that the problem does not stem just from the protein in these foods, but rather specifically from the contents of the cell's nucleus within the muscle fibers. It's actually the DNA and RNA strands that contain the bulk of the purines that are broken down to release uric acid into the bloodstream. Individuals with gout either make too much uric acid (over-producers), or have trouble getting rid of uric acid through the kidneys (under-excreters.)

The reason this is important to understand is that certain types of protein have little or no cell nuclei, and therefore no significant amounts of purines. These would include milk proteins and egg whites (the yolk DOES contain purines.) Fermented milk products (yoghurt, certain cheeses) may contain more purines due to the presence of the bacteria that have purines in their cell nuclei. However non-fermented products such as milk, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese and whey protein may actually reduce the risk of gout attacks based on a study in the New England Journal of Medicine (1)

So what's the bottom line? Purified protein products from whey, egg whites or rice do not appear to increase the risk of gout attacks. So good quality protein shakes and bars made specifically from these sources, used in moderation, can be a safe and effective tool for your weight loss plan. Below are some good options.

However before making any major changes in your diet, I would always recommend you speak to your personal physician as your individual situation may vary. In addition it would be a good idea to check your blood uric acid levels before and after changing your diet to make sure this plan is working for you.

(1) Purine-Rich Foods, Dairy and Protein Intake, and the Risk of Gout in Men;
    New England Journal of Medicine, 2004; 350:1093-103

Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Health45 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this is further reason to eat less protein but compensate with BCAA and Creatine
    5gr of bcaa equal about 30gr of protein !!! (4oz steak or fish or 30gr whey shake), without obviously ANY purines.
    and we all know how bcaa are the most important AAcids for skeletal muscle
    same with creatine 3gr is about 2lbs of steak !!! (imagine eating 2lbs of steak daily for most people and especially those
    developing gout easily !)
    some imho better to have 3 good meals ( or 2 and 1 big whey milk shake) (red meat once a week ? and avoidng other foods high in purines) and the rest of the day, take bcaa, your dose of creatine (3-5gr), drink well (start day with almost a liter of water or mixed with green tea to flush from the previous 24h).
    bromelaine is said also to help. for men avoid chondroitin as research is popping around that it could cause prostate cancer...
    also high proten means excreting calcium faster than low protein so don't forget calcium ( in small doses/take, say 500mg max as say 1gr ina shot over time is now said to have adverse effects on the heart...) and vit D etc (Jarrow Bone up is an excellent solution imho). too much calcium in the joints or too little ! also cause gout-like effects.
    also take digestive enzymes to assmiliate a max, including betaine HCL with high protein meals. excess of undigested protein turns into fat but also
    make kidneys work in a not efficient manner.
    Ornithine and citrulline help in the urea cycle, helping in flushing excess ammonia also. ( I simplify the process here, do a search).

Registered User Himanshurawat56's Avatar
    Himanshurawat56 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude...stop taking protein. ..If u really want .take protein from chicken...m unable to walk right now because of the same ****. Drin 8 lts of water per day. Take allopurinol. N do not run on tread mill instead do cross trainer..no calves exercise for us Bro. ..but do squats..no issued there.all the best

bchestnut2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I got a question what pre workouts and protein shakes can I do now that I have gout