DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Does mixing fiber in with a protein shake block absorption?

For about a couple of months now, I have been mixing in 4-5 teaspoons of sugar-free Metamucil with my protein shake (ON whey isolate). I recently read a study that found large amounts of fiber can block absorption of nutrients in the intestines, to the tune of 7 calories per gram. I am taking about 20g of fiber at a time, with 25-35g of protein.

So it only recently occurred to me that the fiber might be binding or blocking absorption of the protein. Anyone know anything about this? I want to keep taking the fiber supplement, but I don't want to be counterproductive if mixing in protein is a waste. And if it is, how long should I wait to take protein after taking fiber?

Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Firstly, why don't you spread out your fiber intake throughout the day, and get it from real sources rather that powder stuff.

And no, it won't 'block' its absorption. Maybe slow it down? I'm not a nutritionist so I may be wrong.
    Go ahead, make fun of me being a light weight! I like me, that's all that matters.

- Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage, and confidence. -Og Mandino

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Flexxo View Post
    Firstly, why don't you spread out your fiber intake throughout the day, and get it from real sources rather that powder stuff.

And no, it won't 'block' its absorption. Maybe slow it down? I'm not a nutritionist so I may be wrong.
    Fiber intake should be spread more
    It will defintely slow abosrbtion
    Fiber can cause you to not absorb a small % of fat and protein it is eaten with.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Fiber does slow absorbtion, but that's not a huge deal depending on when it is eaten in relation to your workout. Eat more veggies throughout the day and fiber supps will become a thing of the past.

Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000) Flexxo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    Fiber intake should be spread more
    It will defintely slow abosrbtion
    Fiber can cause you to not absorb a small % of fat and protein it is eaten with.
    Thank you, Determined! .:High Five:.
    Go ahead, make fun of me being a light weight! I like me, that's all that matters.

- Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage, and confidence. -Og Mandino

loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50) loupenguin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Insoluble how ever you spell it, helps speed up the metabolism

soluble which tends to more in vegetables will help slow digestion and help you poop.

I used to Eat like a Bird and Train like a Pussy... Now.... All i do is Eat, and I push my body to its limits, Again...and Again... and... Again...Cuz i CAN!
    " "clean'' bulking, its a waste. Your gonna waste all of your time counting calories. Dont be a food whore on a bulk. save it for a cut. Dirty bulk my friend. eat big to get big."
    If you are worried about your abs.... Train them harder!!!

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by loupenguin View Post
    Insoluble how ever you spell it, helps speed up the metabolism

soluble which tends to more in vegetables will help slow digestion and help you poop.

insoluble is what aids your poos, it doesn't "speed up" your metabolism, and veggies are the biggest source of insoluble

DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm not big on fruits and vegetables, other than what comes incidentally with my meat....which is one of the reasons I supplement fiber. Mainly though I like that it makes me feel full for hours. Less than 20 grams at a time, and I don't feel as full.

Mixing the fiber and sucking it down before it gels is not the most pleasant experience; I don't think I want to do it more than twice a day. Plus it's messy as hell.

If it only blocks some of the whey protein, I figure I can probably just overcompensate and add a little more powder in. If it blocks most or all of it, I need to change my strategy.

I believe Metamucil is evenly split between soluble and insoluble. I don't really care about the laxative effect, although that is noticeable. I mainly like all the other benefits of fiber supplementation.

Thanks for the replies so far....

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DualRectifier View Post
    I'm not big on fruits and vegetables, other than what comes incidentally with my meat....which is one of the reasons I supplement fiber. Mainly though I like that it makes me feel full for hours. Less than 20 grams at a time, and I don't feel as full.

Mixing the fiber and sucking it down before it gels is not the most pleasant experience; I don't think I want to do it more than twice a day. Plus it's messy as hell.

If it only blocks some of the whey protein, I figure I can probably just overcompensate and add a little more powder in. If it blocks most or all of it, I need to change my strategy.

I believe Metamucil is evenly split between soluble and insoluble. I don't really care about the laxative effect, although that is noticeable. I mainly like all the other benefits of fiber supplementation.

Thanks for the replies so far....
    No offense, but just eat your damn fruits and veggies, find ones you can manage and find creative ways to eat them, your body will thank you in the long run.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by RealMenDeadLift View Post
    No offense, but just eat your damn fruits and veggies, find ones you can manage and find creative ways to eat them, your body will thank you in the long run.
    x2

Note: I said the effect on absorption was "small". Fiber is important to your diet.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head