JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

eating less than your BMR?

did you ever happen to need to decrease your calories below your BMR in order to lose fat at a decent rate?
    like, your BMR is 1670 calories and with a sedentary life except training you burn 2300 calories on workout days and 2000 calories on rest days
    And if you remove 500 calories to lose 1 pound of fat a week your intake is 1500 calories, less than your initional BMR

What do you think?
    Is this sometimes necessary to lose fat in spite of what they say about going below your BMR?

Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ammex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Is it necessary? No. Will you instantly die if you do? No. But prolonged deficits below BMR will have some serious negative impact.

JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Ammex View Post
    Is it necessary? No. Will you instantly die if you do? No. But prolonged deficits below BMR will have some serious negative impact.
    but with a BMR of 2000 on rest days, in order to stay above your BMR you would need to create a smaller deficit, like 300 calories, and that would mean a loss of 0.4 pounds a week instead of 1 pound a week. That's pretty slow fat loss I'd say. What do you think?

Read the f***** stickies. justmightbecraz's Avatar
    justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JaredPunch View Post
    but with a BMR of 2000 on rest days, in order to stay above your BMR you would need to create a smaller deficit, like 300 calories, and that would mean a loss of 0.4 pounds a week instead of 1 pound a week. That's pretty slow fat loss I'd say. What do you think?
    Your BMR is the same whether it's a workout day or a rest day, your TDEE is what changes based on activity level.

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate = comatose calorie expenditure

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = BMR + Things You Do
    USMC Veteran 2000-2005

Personal
    Responsibility
    In
    Daily
    Efforts

Oct-2011: 340 lbs. ~45% BF Start 1st Cut
    Apr-2012: 263 lbs. ~32% BF
    Oct-2012: 215 lbs. ~23% BF End 1st Cut, Start 1st Bulk

Glazier642 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glazier642 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glazier642 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glazier642 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eat a few more calories and introduce a little cardio into your program? I have eaten below and at BMR but after 2-3 weeks it really gets to you. Part of it being that going that low you will surely be under 100g of carbs and in and out of ketosis. I don't think a male should have to eat under 1800-2000cal. I figured if you need to go lower than that maybe it's time to bulk.... the added muscle mass will make your next cut easier and you shouldn't have to come close your BMR.

Originally Posted by justmightbecraz View Post
    Your BMR is the same whether it's a workout day or a rest day, your TDEE is what changes based on activity level.

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate = comatose calorie expenditure

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = BMR + Things You Do
    True, so if your BMR is 1600
    On days where you sit on classroom and in front of the pc TDEE is just 2000 calories
    On days you workout it is 2300-2500

Say you want to lose 1 pound a week, you need a 500 calorie deficit
    On workout days this will results on a 2000-1800 calories intake
    But on rest days it will result on a 1500 calories intake, less than BMR

Read the f***** stickies. justmightbecraz's Avatar
    justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JaredPunch View Post
    True, so if your BMR is 1600
    On days where you sit on classroom and in front of the pc TDEE is just 2000 calories
    On days you workout it is 2300-2500

Say you want to lose 1 pound a week, you need a 500 calorie deficit
    On workout days this will results on a 2000-1800 calories intake
    But on rest days it will result on a 1500 calories intake, less than BMR
    Your TDEE is generally calculated off a weekly activity level, such as how many times a week you workout, or if you have a physically demanding job. For example, I workout 3 times a week, which is borderline between the 1.375 and the 1.55 multiplier the IF calculator uses (1-3 times a week and 3-5 times a week respectively). I use the 1.375 multiplier on my BMR (~2000) since my BF% is still rather high, giving me an average TDEE throughout the week of ~2700 cals. On rest days I eat ~2000, and workout days I eat ~2500, of which I have 3 a week, and the calorie deficit for the week averages out to ~500 cals a day.

As for how much you're going to lose a week, theoretically you could lose 1 lb a week, so long as you have enough fat to lose. There's only so much fat you can lose in a week, based on how much fat you have available.
    USMC Veteran 2000-2005

Personal
    Responsibility
    In
    Daily
    Efforts

Oct-2011: 340 lbs. ~45% BF Start 1st Cut
    Apr-2012: 263 lbs. ~32% BF
    Oct-2012: 215 lbs. ~23% BF End 1st Cut, Start 1st Bulk