cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10)

menstruation and calories

has it been proven that females burn more calories during menstruation or is it just a misconception?

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by cuttos View Post
    has it been proven that females burn more calories during menstruation or is it just a misconception?
    Your metabolism does vary during your cycle --> but it is post0ovulation and PRIOR to your menstrual cycle that your metabolism slightly increases....

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    Between when you ovulate and when you get your TOM (especially in the week before TOM) you'll actually burn a little extra in terms of cals (the higher oestrogen increases lipolysis)... It is only something in the order of 250-350 cals.... But it still 'adds up' - so if you were to do 1 week HIGH (around ovulation) then one week LOW and then bump up just a smidge again (before TOM if you get PRE-TOM cravings) you'll still come out on top.

Basically: Plan ahead and prevent rather than react. This means bump cals up around your ovulation week. If you cave and binge and eat 1000 cals extra it is far worse (mentally and physically) than simply giving yourself an extra 100-150 cals/ day worth of additional carbs (if that is what you are craving).
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    .... oestrogen peaks just prior to ovulation, during the late follicular phase... it then slowly decreases (with one more 'small peak') during the luteal phase/ post ovulation (it is the cells around the maturing egg(s) that are responsible for secretion of oestrogen - so when the egg(s) are released these cells change and oestrogen decreases)...

So when you crave is where progesterone levels are + (++)...

And most of the evidence (in both animals and humans) suggest it is this combination of the lower oestrogen and higher progesterone that results in the increased hunger (Progesterone is basically the 'baby hormone'... it is what maintains the body in 'you are pregnant mode' and helps to establish the foetus (until you start to get other things having more of a role)).

Other things that occur are an increase in cortisol levels, and a drop in your serotonin --> and both of these increases carb cravings BIG TIME (and play the wacky with your blood sugar too)... And there is also a slight increase in your metabolic rate during the luteal phase too - which stimulates hunger...

Lastly - there also seems to be electrolyte changes that occur (mag especially seen to decrease) - which are probably related to changes in mineralocorticoids (stimulated when you stimulate cortisol)... And this is thought to cause cravings too (especially of the chocolate kind)...

Basically ->>>
    increased metabolic rate
    falling oestrogen
    increased progesterone
    increased cortisol
    decreased serotonin
    (magnesium / electrolyte odd-ness)
    + other things....
    ^^
    All these combine to give ick.

My advice is not to 'fight' it but instead - you are better off to go with the flow and increase your intake slightly over the week before your cycle (eg: add 50-100 cals.... my choice is a yummy bit of dark chocolate to help with the magnesium issues ).

cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10) cuttos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    Your metabolism does vary during your cycle --> but it is post0ovulation and PRIOR to your menstrual cycle that your metabolism slightly increases....
    thanks Emma
    too late this time I just binged on dark chocolate and almonds while DURING my period but Im still within maintanence calories
    also explains why I weighed less last week

ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000) ajangel25 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does this go for women on the Pill as well?

FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50) FitWish will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thankyou for this! I've seen some other posts about this and always refer people to BuffMother.com and her Hormonal timing diet and workouts..based on a women's monthly cycle. It is SO ture! I never know when is the week right before in order to increase the calories because I dont use the pill...but I just "listen" to my body and know ..I need more..also because of low energy the week before a womens cycle causes weak workouts...so that 's a sign too...

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I thought it was really odd...My period comes randomly, so I have no way of telling when it will happen, just at the end of the month, at some point. I am sick now, and was all week, and the whole week I was starving! I assumed it was because I was after doing full body workouts before I got sick, and my body had a lot of healing to do, plus having fevers constantly....Then when I woke up today, hunger was gone! Couldn't finish my brreakfast, never had my mid-morning snack, and was wondering why I didn't feel as hungry as I did all week.....This afternoon I started my period! So I geuss thats why I was abnormally starving all week?? The week before hand made me feel hungrier? Very interesting..

BRB - Gettin' shredded FemmeFatale28's Avatar
    FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Every since I got an IUD I dont get pre-menstral cramps or the bloat associated with TOM, but I know its coming because I start wanting chocolate, and " fattier" foods, like pizza, cake cookies ect. Its always the week before though. I am not bloated but I did start feeling fat today and I want pizza SO I am going to make the "mock" pizza I found in the keto forum only with less fat ( its delicious)

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FemmeFatale28 View Post
    Every since I got an IUD I dont get pre-menstral cramps or the bloat associated with TOM, but I know its coming because I start wanting chocolate, and " fattier" foods, like pizza, cake cookies ect. Its always the week before though. I am not bloated but I did start feeling fat today and I want pizza SO I am going to make the "mock" pizza I found in the keto forum only with less fat ( its delicious)
    I had cravings this time for the first time! I wanted mass quantities of vegetables! I don't know why, but I kept craving salad...and vegetable stir fry....So I ate oodles and oodles of salad. With shredded carrot and cucumber and lettuce and today I even went and bought radishes and stuff to make more salad...Forgot to add that after I bought a pile of salad crap yesterday, the cravings and the hunger disappeared after I started.
    Last edited by gobbles23; 01-23-2010 at 05:36 AM.