JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Disabled Bodybuilders

Disabled bodybuilders are often limited in the exercises we can perform and the programs we can follow. I've created a group on here for people with all kinds of disabilities to discuss their exercise issues and hopefully help one another to overcome them. I've searched on the forums and in the groups and there doesn't seem to be much information for disabled bodybuilders so hopefully this will rectify that. Everyone is welcome.

If you would like to join, please search in the groups section for "Disabled Bodybuilders". Unfortunately I can't post a link because I'm newly registered.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    there was a guy who posted on here, years ago, from russia who was severly burnt by electricity pylons and lost limbs etc - he was pushing some big weights and I found him super inspiring.

brolic147 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To be honest i dont see disability as a major issue in a way. Depedning on the disability an individual can still do most exercises just with an increased degree of difficulty. Theres also a guy at my gym that is disabled from the waist down and hes massivly strong.

Protonz, God of Lifts SpartanRage's Avatar
    SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpartanRage is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There's a guy in my gym who has a prosthetic left arm, yet he still does barbell bench press. For the most part, it's finding ways to get around the handicap and not letting it get the best of you
    Official St Pete Beach Brah

Squatting Until Vomit Wells Up Crew
    Sneezed So Hard I Shat My Pants Crew

"You spend too much time worrying about what other people think of you.....
    A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of sheep."

JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaOn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SpartanRage View Post
    There's a guy in my gym who has a prosthetic left arm, yet he still does barbell bench press. For the most part, it's finding ways to get around the handicap and not letting it get the best of you
    Exactly; that's the message I want to send out with this group. There are a few sites for wheelchair users but I can't find anything for people with other disabilities where we can discuss how to get round particular obstacles and talk about our experiences.

Natural Wheelchair Mr. O marinevet63031's Avatar
    marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am a disabled bodybuilder. Listen, go to naturalbodybuilding.com great org. Anyway I have spinal and knee injuries. The knee injuries keep me in knee braces. Anyway, so I cant dead lift and sqaut, big deal. I have worked hard and will compete next year. I love the idea of this group!
    *Cardinals, Blues, Chiefs, MLS *
    *PNBA Wheelchair Natural Mr. Olympia, Champion*
    *Disabled US Marine Corps Combat Veteran 1992-1997*

brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My shoulders are kinda messed up but I wouldn't call it disabled. People with disabilities who workout are true champions. Usually when stuff goes wrong in people's lives it's so easy to give up or just decide to drop most of your life. Having the mental ability to not let something get you down and still work around the disability always impresses me.

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JaOn View Post
    Exactly; that's the message I want to send out with this group. There are a few sites for wheelchair users but I can't find anything for people with other disabilities where we can discuss how to get round particular obstacles and talk about our experiences.
    props to you - guy at my gym has two lower leg prosthesis...kind where its a metal tongue looking thing that bends backwords. dude walks with a normal gait, kills it, does leg presses...awesome. I've always wanted to just walk up to the guy and tell him I admire him, but as much as I value privacy while working out, I don't want to bother him.
    Stern Crew

Reeceb158 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Disabled

Hello, I have recently started bodybuilding, and am disabled always will be, at the age of 18 months I got a virus which paralysed my whole body, my top half come back, but my bottom half didn't(legs) after some intense physio and my determination to be able to walk again, I can walk but I walk differently, I just wanted some help to get me going really !!

Trulyblessed12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a disable man,Ive had 16 brain surgeries and a stroke and I workout 5 days a week,so days hard some days soft,if you any question please let me know,the stroke took out most of my left side but Ive been working at it over 4 yrs and I'm almost 85% back to MY NORMAL,so it can be done,now Im looking into maybe competing,I'm not looking to win,I'm looking to make a statement with my life and show people anything can be done if you believe it can be,I was told that I would never walk again and I can leg press 1500 to 2000lbs,so yeah

veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by brolic147 View Post
    To be honest i dont see disability as a major issue in a way. Depedning on the disability an individual can still do most exercises just with an increased degree of difficulty. Theres also a guy at my gym that is disabled from the waist down and hes massivly strong.
    Try lifting with one, then.

I dont pity anyone but i also dont undermine their plight.
    August 2023:
    BW: 194
    B: 315 x 3, 225 x 14 (PR: 335)
    S: 315 x 2, 225 x 18 (PR's)
    DL: 405 x 1 (PR); Trap Bar DL: 405 x 1
    OHP: 185 x 3 (PR), 135 x 16
    Chins: 22(PR) Pushups: 83 (PR: 101)
    1 Mile: 6:45 (PR: 5:52)

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Awesome thread

My brother has cerebral palsy. I've set him up a beginner routine ICF 5x5 but left out deadlifts, squats, bent over rows and good mornings because he needs assistance walking and keeping his balance.

We are limited with our equipment because it is a home gym.

Any suggestions for working his back and lower body?

He's learned how to count calories/bulking/cutting and has a general idea of what is needed to build strength .

Hope this contributes to the thread!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_palsy
    "You Will Finally See, That I Am In Truth, The Superior One. The True Alpha Male."

ICF 5x5 since 6/22/13

•Japanese brah•

Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500) Mattshaw1988 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Great thread and support group . Inspiring people not just in lifting terms but to no there's still no limits and you can go as far as you want with whatever you put you're mind too

jweres51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have 2 hip replacements and 2 knee replacements and scoliosis. I want so badly to get on stage. I kill it in the gym. I can't do squats perfectly or dead lifts oh well. There's always an alternative exercise to work that muscle! The posing is painful though. I thought I could never accomplish the dream of competing but now I have the courage to.

vmohawk11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jweres51 View Post
    I have 2 hip replacements and 2 knee replacements and scoliosis. I want so badly to get on stage. I kill it in the gym. I can't do squats perfectly or dead lifts oh well. There's always an alternative exercise to work that muscle! The posing is painful though. I thought I could never accomplish the dream of competing but now I have the courage to.
    I had neuroblastoma (cancer of the spine) at the age of 1. I have had a total of 10 surgeries on my hip and leg, consequently I have had to wear a leg brace on my left leg for my entire life. I have recently been inspired by the world of bodybuilding, especially after reading Arnold's book 'The Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding'. I recommend that you read it. All my life, people have doubted me and told me what I cannot do. The only thing I have done is proved to them what I can do. I am currently in college and when I use my school gym, or any gym for that matter I find people constantly staring at me. It took a while for me to get over that because I am very self conscious about how I look. I am contemplating how much dedication I am willing to give to bodybuilding. One of the things I have thought about is that no matter how well I build up my body, I will always have a deformity with my leg which is why I completely understand that posing is very difficult for you. It is also very difficult for me as well, as I hate wearing shorts so I can avoid people staring at my leg. For the first time this past year I wore shorts when going out on campus, I realized that it's not worth worrying about something that I have no control over. With your heart, your mind and your drive you cannot be stopped. You can only go as for as you're willing to push yourself. On the days you cannot scrape up that motivation, remember the eye of the tiger and stare adversity dead in the eye until you make it look away forever. I wish good luck to everyone and hope you are successful in your endeavors. When I start making some more progress I will update my profile. Thanks and God bless.

Breecheese42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Hello!

Originally Posted by Trulyblessed12 View Post
    I'm a disable man,Ive had 16 brain surgeries and a stroke and I workout 5 days a week,so days hard some days soft,if you any question please let me know,the stroke took out most of my left side but Ive been working at it over 4 yrs and I'm almost 85% back to MY NORMAL,so it can be done,now Im looking into maybe competing,I'm not looking to win,I'm looking to make a statement with my life and show people anything can be done if you believe it can be,I was told that I would never walk again and I can leg press 1500 to 2000lbs,so yeah
    Hey, newbie here! I have also had a stroke which has left me with hand paralysis and shoulder subluxation as main problems.Any advice on modified exercises with free weights or body weight?

Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed0001 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Disabled bodybuilders are often limited in the exercises we can perform and the programs we can follow. I've created a group on here for people with all kinds of disabilities to discuss their exercise issues and hopefully help one another to overcome them. I've searched on the forums and in the groups and there doesn't seem to be much information for disabled bodybuilders so hopefully this will rectify that. Everyone is welcome.

If you would like to join, please search in the groups section for "Disabled Bodybuilders". Unfortunately I can't post a link because I'm newly registered.
    I have servere MS, I'm in a wheelchair. I go to the gym a few times per week. I can just about stand up with something to hold on to, so there are plenty of exercises I can do. The Smith machine helps.
    Never underestimate the positive effects of physical exercise on your mental health...

sidneyjay68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is a great forum idea. I have cerebral palsy as well, and I have had to modify deadlifts and lunges, but I am still getting it done I love working out, I have no felt this good about myself ever!

leekearton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi all.. Hope ur all doing ok. I had motorbike accident 23 years ago which left my left arm partly paralysed and my left leg knackered up with a bad limp.. I started training again last year with my bro.. He is s big bodybuilder and looks good.. I startd to get a good body under the circumstances ,.but in November last year I tore my left biscep Off the bone and 6 months on the sick. Back to work now and me bro thinks I sud start back on my training... But am 44 and afraid to train again lol pussy lol don't want to knack me arm up again... He says I shud just train light and get toned up.. Can u do this on light weights?? Only trained on heavy weights to bulk up..

VIM731 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you find this information please post links or whatever you can. I am a stroke survivor, when I had the stroke at 27 years old (spent my 28th in the hospital) I was really getting into strengthening my core as I was also getting into golfing. I wanted to build my core because it would have helped my golf swing. in any case I became pretty badly depressed and dropped out of nearly everything for something like 5 years, it has been 7 altogether since the stroke, I am now 35 and just getting back into the gym doing what exercises I am able to do with my left side partially paralyzed. it is a struggle sometimes but I still get it done as much as I can. anyway, hope to see some more info as I have looked and can't find much myself.

Marc

OstyBarby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am just starting on my journey of bodybuilding and I have a disability ( crohns disease with permanent Ileostomy). I live in Canada and would like to find out about competing here?
    BarbyGirl

Makakilo1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Aloha Marine,
    Thank you for serving! I have been going to the gym on and off for about 14 years now. I recently started getting more serious about it in the last 2 years. I hit the gym every morning 2-3 hours and train some days with some friends/bodybuilders as they train for competition. I have been entertaining the thought of training for competition but I am also disabled. I figured because of my shoulder I would never be able to compete (competitively). I was born with Erb's Palsy in my right shoulder. Are there any competitions out there that I could compete in if I train for it?
    Mahalo in advance!

Originally Posted by marinevet63031 View Post
    I am a disabled bodybuilder. Listen, go to naturalbodybuilding.com great org. Anyway I have spinal and knee injuries. The knee injuries keep me in knee braces. Anyway, so I cant dead lift and sqaut, big deal. I have worked hard and will compete next year. I love the idea of this group!