MrTyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Critique my routine! Pull/Push/legs

Monday - Pull
    Deadlifts - 4 sets x 6 reps
    Barbell rows - 5 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    Pullups - 4 sets x 4 - 10 reps
    Barbell curls - 5 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    Upright Rows - 3 sets x 6 - 12

Wednesday - Push
    Flat bench press - 4 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    Incline bench press - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    Military press - 4 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    Dips - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    Tricep Pushdown - 4 sets 6-10 reps

Friday - Legs and arms
    Squats - 4 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    Lunges - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    SLDL - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    Standing calf raises - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
    -
    Dips 4 sets x 6-10 reps
    Chin Ups 4 sets x 4-10 reps
    Push Ups 4 sets max
    Skull Chrushers 4 sets x 6-10 reps
    Curls 4 x - 6-10

My current split:

Day 1, Day 5

Pull ups 4xmax
    Barbell Rows 4 x 3-6 and one or two set with lighter weights 10-12 reps
    Lat Pulldown machine (mixing grips as i go along) 4 x 6-15

Later in the day i do
    2-3 sets of Deadlifts heavy
    Bicep Curl 6-12 x 4-5 sets
    Preacher Curls 8-12 x 3
    and sometimes mix in a couple of sets of some cable curls or hammer curls

Day 2

Bench Press 3-8 x 4
    Incline Dumbell press 8-12 x 3
    Dips max x 3
    Cable Flyes
    Cable Lateral Raise
    Tricep Extension (skull, Pushdown) 8-12 x 4

Day 3 and 7

Squats 4-8 x 4
    Lunges 8-12 x 3
    Stiff leg Deadlifts 8-12 x 3
    Calf Raise 8-15 x 3

Day 4 off

Day 6

Military Press 3-8 x 4
    Dumbell Bench Press 8-12 x 3
    Dumbell Overhead Press 8-12 x 3
    Dips max x 3
    Tricep Extension (skull, Pushdown) 8-12 x 4
    Shrugs 8-12 x 3

----------------------------

Will do abs every other day. Mixing sit ups, leg raises and core exercises.
    I adjusted the leg day since my arms, specially biceps are lacking.
    Please critique

BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not going to critique your routine per se but you're not taking advantage of the increased frequency that P/P/L routines allow for. The only exception being for your arms which you're hitting twice a week.

Far from ideal in my opinion and, with such a spread out system, you'd be better served to do a typical BB split (one to two muscle groups per session) but I'd strongly recommend reworking your routine to hit everything twice a week if sticking with P/P/L.
    Staples:
    The Father
    The Son
    The Holy Spirit

MrTyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrTyro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BogusForLife View Post
    I'm not going to critique your routine per se but you're not taking advantage of the increased frequency that P/P/L routines allow for. The only exception being for your arms which you're hitting twice a week.

Far from ideal in my opinion and, with such a spread out system, you'd be better served to do a typical BB split (one to two muscle groups per session) but I'd strongly recommend reworking your routine to hit everything twice a week if sticking with P/P/L.
    Ok thanks for the comment, what about doing the first split 2 times a week? 3 on 1 of 3 on and schratcing arms from legs..

trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10) trakker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MrTyro View Post
    Ok thanks for the comment, what about doing the first split 2 times a week? 3 on 1 of 3 on and schratcing arms from legs..
    Thats how ive generally seen it done. Most people i have talked to though will maybe do 1 exercise for arms on the push and pull day just to hit them a little more. If you find yourself getting enough arm work tho hitting each muscle twice a week there wont be a need to add any direct arm work in.

BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BogusForLife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Three on, one off is the most common and puts three days between working the same muscles again. This works nicely as long as you have the proper diet/rest in place to promote recovery and stick with the routine long enough for adaptation to the frequency to occur.

As of now you have four pushing movements (including dips) and two pulling movements (not including upright rows as there isn't any significant scapular retraction). It's important to keep the ratio of push to pull at 1:1 for overall shoulder health and it can benefit your posture greatly. Dumbbell rows and face pulls are nice additions but there are plenty out there.
    Staples:
    The Father
    The Son
    The Holy Spirit

Three on, one off is the most common and puts three days between working the same muscles again. This works nicely as long as you have the proper diet/rest in place to promote recovery and stick with the routine long enough for adaptation to the frequency to occur.

As of now you have four pushing movements (including dips) and two pulling movements (not including upright rows as there isn't any significant scapular retraction). It's important to keep the ratio of push to pull at 1:1 for overall shoulder health and it can benefit your posture greatly. Dumbbell rows and face pulls are nice additions but there are plenty out there.
    Ok thanks bro! Will adjust, what about Lat Pulldown rather then facepulls?
    What i feel i'm lacking in comparison to other muscle group is Chest, Biceps and Lats rest seems to come around nicely.

If you look at both my splits, how would you compare them btw? My current is a Pull/push/legs two times a week too listed in first post.

Ok thanks bro! Will adjust, what about Lat Pulldown rather then facepulls?
    What i feel i'm lacking in comparison to other muscle group is Chest, Biceps and Lats rest seems to come around nicely.

If you look at both my splits, how would you compare them btw? My current is a Pull/push/legs two times a week too listed in first post.
    Seated cable rows might be a better option. Think about it in terms of horizontal pushing/pulling versus vertical pushing/pulling. You have two horizontal presses in flat and incline bench so you can balance those out with two horizontal pulls in dumbbell rows and seated cable rows.

I think the new split is better. I'd suggest not doing deadlifts and barbell rows on the same day as cumulative lower-back fatigue could make it easier for form to break down. Perhaps you could switch to dumbbell rows instead where you have an arm bracing you reducing the shear forces on your spine.
    Staples:
    The Father
    The Son
    The Holy Spirit

Seated cable rows might be a better option. Think about it in terms of horizontal pushing/pulling versus vertical pushing/pulling. You have two horizontal presses in flat and incline bench so you can balance those out with two horizontal pulls in dumbbell rows and seated cable rows.

I think the new split is better. I'd suggest not doing deadlifts and barbell rows on the same day as cumulative lower-back fatigue could make it easier for form to break down. Perhaps you could switch to dumbbell rows instead where you have an arm bracing you reducing the shear forces on your spine.
    Alright thanks, started the split this Monday my first Back and Biceps workout went like this:

Pull ups 4 sets 4-7 reps
    Barbell Rows 4 heavy sets 4-6 reps and one light set 10 reps
    Lat Pulldown 3 sets 8-12 reps
    One Arm Rows 3 sets and 12-15 rep
    Barbell Curl 4 sets and 6-8 reps
    Preacher Curl 3 sets 6-12 reps
    Cable rope bicep burnout 3 sets

Chest, Shoulder and Triceps:

Bench press 3 heavy sets 4-6 reps and one light set 8 reps
    Military Press 3 heavy sets 4-6 reps and one light behind head 10 reps
    Incline press 3 sets 6-12 reps
    Dips 3 sets

Chest press machine 3 burn sets
    Lateral Raise cable one arm 3 burn sets
    Tricep Rope Pushdown 3 burn sets

As you see i do some add ins all after how i feel, thats ok right? Or will it screw with recovery?
    And Deadlifts i'm thinking of splitting it with legs and throwing out STDL. Or maybe one day Deadlifts other Barbell Rows. What do you think?

Thanks for the tips and help!
    Last edited by MrTyro; 01-08-2013 at 08:49 PM.