IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Eating good in the military

Anyone have any suggestions about eating good in the military dining hall? I try my best but most of the meats are usually either breaded or in some kind of sauce. They have plenty of vegetables, potatoes, rice, fruit, salad but meat none of it seems the best for ya. Any suggestions from someone living on a base and eating at the dfac regularly?

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Can you never get grilled meats?
    What do you think is unhealthy about them?
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IH33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I just got to this base so I am not completely positive on how they rotate their food but I do know that the first couple days I was here they had regular grilled chicken, but recently i haven't seen any of that. It is usually in some kind of sauce. What leads me to believe that they are unhealthy is just that I know sauces have tons of hidden ingredients and **** I usually wouldn't eat. I know that Paleo is frowned upon on here but I do try to adhere mostly to that. Very little processed grains, the only grains I usually eat are oatmeal, rice and potatoes.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by IH33 View Post
    I just got to this base so I am not completely positive on how they rotate their food but I do know that the first couple days I was here they had regular grilled chicken, but recently i haven't seen any of that. It is usually in some kind of sauce. What leads me to believe that they are unhealthy is just that I know sauces have tons of hidden ingredients and **** I usually wouldn't eat. I know that Paleo is frowned upon on here but I do try to adhere mostly to that. Very little processed grains, the only grains I usually eat are oatmeal, rice and potatoes.
    scrape/wash the sauces off the meats when they are drenched in them
    Are you saying they dont regularly have rice, potatoes or oats?
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    scrape/wash the sauces off the meats when they are drenched in them
    Are you saying they dont regularly have rice, potatoes or oats?
    No they always have that. My usual meal for lunch and dinner is some kind of meat, tons of veggies, potato or rice and a generous amount of fruit. Breakfast is always eggs fruit and oatmeal

Originally Posted by IH33 View Post
    No they always have that. My usual meal for lunch and dinner is some kind of meat, tons of veggies, potato or rice and a generous amount of fruit. Breakfast is always eggs fruit and oatmeal
    then that sounds fairly healthy to me
    dont see what your issue is tbh
    generous fruit and veg ftw.
    Founder of MMDELAD

Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Le13lanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    make the best of it.. i would usually get chopped hard-boiled eggs from the salad bar to help

ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ARD87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    im also in the military and ive found for the most part our dining hall has fairly health food. Usually two entrees to choose from and most of the time one is "healthy". And our dinning hall posts calories, although i dont think they are accurate. I know what you mean about the sauce though. Our cooks here are civilian contractors and they try to cover up the fact that they cant properly cook meat/its hard to not overcook meat when it sits in a warmer forever by covering it in the sauce to the point the meat is unrecognizable.

like determined4000 said, when they drowned it in sauce wipe off most of it.
    Current
    2020 Log - Quest for the next plate
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177884371

Old
    NanoVapor Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150197213&p=990784833#post990784833

skselan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ARD87 View Post
    im also in the military and ive found for the most part our dining hall has fairly health food. Usually two entrees to choose from and most of the time one is "healthy". And our dinning hall posts calories, although i dont think they are accurate. .
    ^this. Been in the Army 8yrs and am currently deployed, ive never been to a DFAC that didnt have healthy options. Sure sometimes u are out in the field and they bring mermites and u just eat what you can get...but if you have access to a DFAC they should have healthy options. Our DFAC has the normal "main" line, but then has a seperate sandwich bar that has all deli meats, then has the "short order" line, that sure has hamburgers/hot dogs etc..but also has just plained grilled chicken breasts. Yeah, and every DFAC ive seen posts calories AND has those color coordinated labels..green/yellow/red, lol tho those seem to be about as accurate as the calories, boiled eggs being yellow and cheesecake being green..but anyways, its easy to eat healthy, i usually have a couple chicken breasts and broccoli or veggies..