Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EasternHammer View Post
    I think it's similar to a kettle bell, but the handle is fixed, it doesn't move at all. Kettlebells have a swivel don't they? I could be wrong.
    I dunno, I thought It was throwing weights that had the swivel :-P I know the kettlebells at my gym are black cast iron with fixed handles, and I know a "pood" is a Russian unit for 36lbs... Either, I never thought about using them for that, but might see if our coach will let me brim them out. We're using a gymnastic Matt inside our gym for indoor shot put

EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Belzoni View Post
    I dunno, I thought It was throwing weights that had the swivel :-P I know the kettlebells at my gym are black cast iron with fixed handles, and I know a "pood" is a Russian unit for 36lbs... Either, I never thought about using them for that, but might see if our coach will let me brim them out. We're using a gymnastic Matt inside our gym for indoor shot put
    http://www.ontrackandfield.com/main/catalog/2012/page15. If that link works, I mean the multicolored objects on the right hand side of the page. That's what we used.

Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10) Belzoni is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://www.ontrackandfield.com/main/catalog/2012/page15. If that link works, I mean the multicolored objects on the right hand side of the page. That's what we used.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're the same. When you talk about throwing them do you mean like, a keg toss or like spinning like a discus/hammer?

EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're the same. When you talk about throwing them do you mean like, a keg toss or like spinning like a discus/hammer?
    The heavy ones like a #35 you have to throw with two hands, so you can toss them to the front for distance and then over your head for height, like you see in strongman comps. The lighter ones you can throw with one hand, over the shoulder. So if you hold it in your left hand, you throw it over the left shoulder. We did these a few days a week in the fall and the beginning of spring, for GPP work.

The heavy ones like a #35 you have to throw with two hands, so you can toss them to the front for distance and then over your head for height, like you see in strongman comps. The lighter ones you can throw with one hand, over the shoulder. So if you hold it in your left hand, you throw it over the left shoulder. We did these a few days a week in the fall and the beginning of spring, for GPP work.
    Ahh, that makes sense... Our coach has us using our shots for

2 hand granny toss forward x 3
    2 hand backwards overhead x3
    2 hand sideways underhand through x3
    1 hand wrist flip x3
    1 hand downward spike x3
    2 hand wrist flip from throat x3
    Forward stand throw x3
    Normal sideways stand throw x3
    Glide or spin for the rest of practice

Before he lets us do that he has us do a variety of short (20 yard) sprints from different starting positions - belly, knees, back, one knee, backwards, sprint and twist...

It would be great to get him to let us weight throw, stand throw, and te to business

They "taught" us new guys the glide technique today, really just a basic rundown. They had the tape out, I averaged thirty feet, give or take a few inches. Just bought a shot online, it'll be here soon and I can practice more

Dunno why I'm updating... Had first indoor track meet today, came in last place. Dead last. Threw 25'4" a good six feet less than I average at practice. Possible the worst experience of my life. They let me be varsity on this one and two jv kids who usually throw under twenty out threw me.

feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dunno why I'm updating... Had first indoor track meet today, came in last place. Dead last. Threw 25'4" a good six feet less than I average at practice. Possible the worst experience of my life. They let me be varsity on this one and two jv kids who usually throw under twenty out threw me.
    some days ur the bat, some days ur the ball.
    Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153
    Deadlift: 455, Squat: 380(oly) 360 (pl), Bench: 245, CPUs: 9001
    Comp Total: 237k

Originally Posted by feces99 View Post
    some days ur the bat, some days ur the ball.
    The truth.

Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Cakes89 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    50ft hs shotputter

180-190 disc thrower in hs

12lb and 1.6kg

Absolutely love throwing huge passion still (coach)

Originally Posted by Cakes89 View Post
    50ft hs shotputter

180-190 disc thrower in hs

12lb and 1.6kg

Absolutely love throwing huge passion still (coach)
    Nice man, any thoughts on anything that's been said so far? Any training advice? Still waiting for my shot to arrive so I can practice at home too.

Also, just new question I thought of to anyone still reading, how important is size to high school shot put? Just thinking since I was the smallest guy at the meet and did worst, and the biggest guy at the meet did best (39'10")

Nice man, any thoughts on anything that's been said so far? Any training advice? Still waiting for my shot to arrive so I can practice at home too.

Also, just new question I thought of to anyone still reading, how important is size to high school shot put? Just thinking since I was the smallest guy at the meet and did worst, and the biggest guy at the meet did best (39'10")
    Size is not so important in high school. The ball only weighs 12 pounds, after all. It's a little different in college. Generally, at your level, ignore who your competitors are, particularly if they aren't good (39 feet ain't
    much). Build good technique. Better technique always results in longer throws. Increasing size and strength always have a limit where they no longer help.

brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Currently throwing in high school.

Size does definitley matter with the 16 lb, with the 12 lb you can get away with not being huge or being very strong. I knew a couple kids throwing high 50's being 5'9-6 175-200lbs. They all had either good technique or were very fast and coordinated/powerful.

That being said the top throwers are almost always huge (Ryan Crouser might've been "skinny" but he was still 6'7).
    6'0 249 @ 18 years old in AVI
    Goals @ 225 or Less
    365 Incline BP, 500 Paused Squat, 400lb C&J,300Lb Snatch

Originally Posted by brahskimoseph View Post
    Currently throwing in high school.

Size does definitley matter with the 16 lb, with the 12 lb you can get away with not being huge or being very strong. I knew a couple kids throwing high 50's being 5'9-6 175-200lbs. They all had either good technique or were very fast and coordinated/powerful.

That being said the top throwers are almost always huge (Ryan Crouser might've been "skinny" but he was still 6'7).
    You make a good point with your last sentence. As a high school coach now myself, I always look for height above everything else. I don't really consider bulk or muscularity; I can teach my kids to lift and eat right. Can't teach anyone to grow taller.

brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000) brahskimoseph is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You make a good point with your last sentence. As a high school coach now myself, I always look for height above everything else. I don't really consider bulk or muscularity; I can teach my kids to lift and eat right. Can't teach anyone to grow taller.
    Exactly. This is why I'm struggling getting offers from schools though lol.
    Goals @ 225 or Less

Originally Posted by brahskimoseph View Post
    Exactly. This is why I'm struggling getting offers from schools though lol.

I would start doing hammer turns now, if I were you, lol. That's what happened to me. Got to college, saw the monsters who were throwing shot, and kinda figured out it might be difficult to compete. Switched to hammer and turned out ok.

I would start doing hammer turns now, if I were you, lol. That's what happened to me. Got to college, saw the monsters who were throwing shot, and kinda figured out it might be difficult to compete. Switched to hammer and turned out ok.
    Yeah I've practiced hammer once, it was different to say the least. I'm pretty good with the 16 lb shot though, I got it a little under 54 feet as a junior using a shuffle technique. But your right, I was at a college meet and damn those dudes are huge.
    Goals @ 225 or Less