Thread: Bread

pantherpride17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pantherpride17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pantherpride17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Bread

I'd noticed that some of you eat toast occasionally and have a few questions. I'm fine with my weight, (altough I'd like to lose about 5 lbs.) and wouldn't mind putting on muscle, but I'm not trying to get a competitors body or anything like that. Just a nice, muscular, fit, body. I've been reading the "What do you girls eat for breakfast" thread and everyone's eating habits are vary so much. Any tips on what would be a good fit for a beginner would be appreciated.

I assume y'all only eat 100% whole wheat bread?

How much bread would you incorporate into your diet? (1 slice of toast each day? Only on days you're working out? Any on days you're not working out?)

Do you bake you're own bread or buy it?

If you make our own, mind sharing your recipe? I can't buy whole wheat bread here and will have to make my own. I've found some healthy recipes online, but don't know if they fit a bodybuilders standards.
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, please feel free...to stand in front of them."

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LOL. Ok, here's what you need to learn about "bodybuilders' standards".
    1. eat enough protein
    2. eat the right amount of calories (depending on whether you're bulking or cutting)

You can eat bread. And pasta. And potatoes. And sugar. And chocolate. And beer. And, and...

Forget the "clean eating" thing. The most important thing is adequate protein, and staying within your calories for the day. If you like bread, eat it. If you can't get whole wheat, buy what you like. If you want to bake some, check out www.allrecipes.com for tons of great recipes.

There are lots of "rules" that should not be followed. ie - eating 5 or 6 small meals, eating "clean", etc.

It's time to debunk these myths, dammit!
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

pantherpride17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pantherpride17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pantherpride17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I don't know how to count calories and I'd prefer to eat healthy over eating the right amount of carlories. (Although it would be nice to know how to count them, if I wanted to eat something unhealthy..
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, please feel free...to stand in front of them."

Ditched the hooker heels! elainedeluca's Avatar
    elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pantherpride17 View Post
    Well, I don't know how to count calories and I'd prefer to eat healthy over eating the right amount of carlories. (Although it would be nice to know how to count them, if I wanted to eat something unhealthy..
    If you don't count your calories, you will never succeed at losing those 5 lbs. Too much of anything, whether it be protein, carbs or fats (aka "Macros) will cause you to gain weight.

Given that everything these days has nutritional info on the label, figuring out how much of what you're eating shouldn't be too difficult. Read the sticky at the top of the forum to calculate your daily macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703921. To lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit (usually 20% below maintenance). For things that don't have nutritional info on them, you will likely find it at fitday.com
    ********: http://www.********.com/Chickthatlifts
    ******** Fan Page: http://www.********.com/ChickThatLiftsElaineDeLuca
    Twitter: @chickthatlifts
    Blog: http://www.chickthatlifts.com

Top Secret Nutrition Sponsored Athlete

Dedication + motivation = annihilation
    Live, love, lift

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You'll probably need to figure out how to count calories. Some people have success without it - but there's some good reasons to learn. I've been doing this for years, but just recently I bought a digital scale for food and found that I was WAY underestimating things like butter, cheese, and peanut butter. It may make the difference between success and failure at some point.

p.s. - can you turn off your cap locks?
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you have a smart phone, you can use an app to count your calories for you. It will keep track of everything, calories and your macros. There are several you can use. I use MyFitnessPal but I know a lot of people also use Livestrong. The one I use will even scan bar codes. It's great. I found I was trying to keep track in my head and it was too much math and just too much in general - it was driving me crazy. It takes only a few minutes to input things into it and then it's all there in front of you. And if you're like me and eat a lot of the same foods/meals, it's even quicker because you can copy things. And Oregonchick is right about the scale - you have no idea how much you overestimate or underestimate certain things. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and it's been a real eye-opener. It's hard at first but you will learn how to incorporate everything into your diet. Good luck!

crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As you say, everyone is different. When I do eat breads I choose whole grains for health reasons. I also focus on getting in protein first. For myself, I find that I tend to eat too much bread and make it the base of my diet rather than protein. Since being diagnosed insulin resistant, I tend to look at ingredients a lot more than I used to and focus on whole grains and fiber in my breads. I figure I only have so many calories. I need to make sure they work for my body and not against me.

I do plan to try and bake some bread instead of purchasing. I really want to try more than whole wheat. I plan to try a variety of flours, such as oat flour, barley flour, whatever I can find that sounds good. No recipes yet, but I can find pretty much whatever I want online or just follow instructions on the package.

Definitely count calories. I use Fatsecret.com because I can sync with my phone and keep track of everything. Others use Fitday, Livestrong, Sparkpeople. There are a lot of programs and even calorie counting books to help you. It just takes a few minutes every day to write down everything you eat (be sure to measure and weigh) and enter it.

Don't give up, you can reach your goals.

IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000) IronOrchid is just really nice. (+1000)
    In my case you assume wrong.

How much bread would you incorporate into your diet? (1 slice of toast each day? Only on days you're working out? Any on days you're not working out?)
    1-2 slices of Ezekiel (if any at all) per week. Usually on my lifting days, after the work out, in my lunch sandwich (which is always open one).
    Or one sour dough bun (2.25oz) from Fresh market store once per two months when I'm having escargots.
    Or one thin slice or piece of regular bread with butter that is served with dinner when we eat out (1-2 times a month). Bread and butter are good before consuming alcohol, it won't make you drunk quick.

I'm too lazy for baking the bread. There is a good choice of high quality bread in a store. And I don't eat that much bread in general. Why bother spending my time on baking?
    Little girls cry... Big girls say "F@ck!".

Originally Posted by elainedeluca View Post
    If you don't count your calories, you will never succeed at losing those 5 lbs. Too much of anything, whether it be protein, carbs or fats (aka "Macros) will cause you to gain weight.

Given that everything these days has nutritional info on the label, figuring out how much of what you're eating shouldn't be too difficult. Read the sticky at the top of the forum to calculate your daily macros:. To lose weight, eat at a caloric deficit (usually 20% below maintenance). For things that don't have nutritional info on them, you will likely find it at fitday.com

I've lost those 5 lbs. (and more) before without counting calories; but that's when I lived in America. I weighed 117-119 every. single. morning, just by eating right, no exercise or anything. Here in Africa, everything isn't labeled and we eat much differantly because everything is so much more expensive. I thought that being able to eat anything, (within reason and counting calories) would be great, but I'm quickly getting overwhelmed. Every time I try to figure out this calorie counting thing, every page links me to another page and I'm as clueless as when I started.
    Last edited by pantherpride17; 08-30-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo

Registered User Dazzling Danielle's Avatar
    Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000) Dazzling Danielle is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've lost those 5 lbs. (and more) before without counting calories; but that's when I lived in America. I weighed 117-119 every. single. morning, just by eating right, no exercise or anything. Here in Africa, everything isn't labeled and we eat much differantly because everything is so much more expensive. I thought that being able to eat anything, (within reason and counting calories) would be great, but I'm quickly getting overwhelmed. Every time I try to figure out this calorie counting thing, every page links me to another page and I'm as clueless as when I started.
    My Fitness Pal is an awesome resource! It even has an App for your smart phone!

Originally Posted by Dazzling Danielle View Post
    My Fitness Pal is an awesome resource! It even has an App for your smart phone!

I don't have a smart phone. My cell does't even take pics.

Sorry double post.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can use My Fitness Pal online as well. It's not as accessible as having it right on your phone but you could maybe take a couple minutes each night to log in.

tinald has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinald has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinald has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinald has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinald has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tinald has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    LOL. Ok, here's what you need to learn about "bodybuilders' standards".
    1. eat enough protein
    2. eat the right amount of calories (depending on whether you're bulking or cutting)

You can eat bread. And pasta. And potatoes. And sugar. And chocolate. And beer. And, and...

Forget the "clean eating" thing. The most important thing is adequate protein, and staying within your calories for the day. If you like bread, eat it. If you can't get whole wheat, buy what you like. If you want to bake some, check out allrecipes for tons of great recipes.

There are lots of "rules" that should not be followed. ie - eating 5 or 6 small meals, eating "clean", etc.

It's time to debunk these myths, dammit!
    Wow I find all of this very interesting! I like to try to eat as clean as possible for health reasons and I also eat small meals throughout the day because I get so hungry! But would you have resources to back this up? NOT saying you are wrong or anything I'm actually just curious to know more about it because it goes against a lot I've read. Or is it just from personal experience?

annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) annieadams777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

bread

I'd noticed that some of you eat toast occasionally and have a few questions. I'm fine with my weight, (altough I'd like to lose about 5 lbs.) and wouldn't mind putting on muscle, but I'm not trying to get a competitors body or anything like that. Just a nice, muscular, fit, body. I've been reading the "What do you girls eat for breakfast" thread and everyone's eating habits are vary so much. Any tips on what would be a good fit for a beginner would be appreciated.

If you make our own, mind sharing your recipe? I can't buy whole wheat bread here and will have to make my own. I've found some healthy recipes online, but don't know if they fit a bodybuilders standards.
    The key with picking a bread is natural ingredients, high fiber, low sugar. Try just keeping your starchy carbs and high carb sides in the morning, lunch and after hard workouts. Or I found that if I always think that I have to earn my carbs before I eat them. Kind of a win win. One of my favorite recipes for banana bread is..
    -three egg whites
    -three banana
    1/2 c applesauce
    1/2 c splenda
    2 c flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 c raisins