Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

8 Ways Noobs Waste Their Time at the Gym

I'm sure you've all seen it, and maybe you even thought about telling the person to do things differently but it could be construed as rude. Perhaps you have been doing things a certain way due to habit, and didn't know it was not the right way.

1) Taking 6 minute+ breaks. The guy occupies the only incline-bench in the gym--has turned it FLAT while there are empty flat benches available--and is taking a 7 minute zone-out looking into the ceiling. You're wasting your time.

Most optimum break-time for muscle hypertrophy, would be anywhere from 60 seconds to 5 minutes for between each set. Some researchers say that 2 minute+ breaks for hypertrophy and strength, while only 1 minute or less for endurance. The shorter breaks, the more it becomes similar to cardiovascular exercises. I tend to take around 1 minute breaks, but I think I will be more careful about going a bit over 1 minute.

2) Doing too many reps. More work = more muscle right? Yes in weight sizes, not in amount of reps. Doing more than 15 reps on any exercise is actually endurance training. You're better off just doing a 4th or 5th set.

3) Doing the same work out for over a year or simply not sweating. 2020 wrote a nice article on this, explaining that sometimes you need to change your routine so that your body doesn't get use to the same cardio or same weights/sets. The importance of failing in doing your exercises/weights is significant. You have to fail to see gains.

Don't come to the gym, and do exercises, and leave without even breaking a sweat. If you're not sweating even in a cold gym---YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

4) Doing light cardio, or low intensity cardio for a long time coupled with high expectations of huge losses of fat Cardio is always useful, but if you're only working out slow-twitch muscles (walking for 40 minutes), or only fast-twitch muscles (running for 20 minutes), you will not burn as much calories as someone doing HIIT (15 minutes of sprinting and walking/slow-jogging). HIIT is known to burn way more fat and burn more calories post-workout than LI training.

5) Doing 100-300 crunches per day and expecting rock hard 8-pack. My friend use to do this all the time, 300 crunches every work out, and said "hey look, I can barely see a border for my abs today--awesome!" after like 4-6 months of doing it.

First, one type of crunches doesn't work out all 8 packs. Secondly, abs are made in the kitchen--with really low body fat %. (This same friend didn't quit drinking scotch every night while working hard [in fact, today, he still drinks scotch]).

Abs are not the thickest muscle, they will show if you go low enough and do regular 3-4 sets of ab crunches. If you were to integrate some twisting incline ab crunches or work outs for the obliques, you will definitely start seeing an 8 pack, eventually, unless you have the worst genetics. But you gotta be below 10% body fat. I do crunches regularly, but you will never see my abs until I get down to 10% body fat (even if they are particularly strong and worked out currently).

6) Being too perfectly neat. We've all seen the guy or girl who goes and grabs tissues or wipes down all equipment before and after use. They give glaring stares if you happen to forgot to wipe down one equipment.

First of all, if your gym is maintained at all, there are people hired to specifically clean all equipment every week (otherwise, that's just a bad gym). Secondly, unless you just did cardio and you're all sweaty, you probably won't get the equipment that dirty. Third, if you're a clean person, you should have washed your hands and taken a shower anyway [as well as afterward], so stop wasting your time being the cleaning lady. Instead do more sets.

How about the guy who tries to lower the dumbbells to the floor after a bench. Ah yes, thanks for not dropping the dumbbells and not making some minor noises--you've saved us all. In the meantime, you could risk injury to your shoulders or other muscles. I sure hope you have a dependable health insurance. Face it, if you're lifting over 40 pounds of dumbbells, you have to drop the weights after your sets-----for those neurotic OCD people in the gym that don't like that, grow up, stop assuming you can control everyone and stop getting annoyed by every little thing or you'll live an unhappy life.

7) Doing only cardio with no weight training, expecting huge fat loss. I know a really really fat guy in the gym, and every day he does 40 minutes of elliptical, 30 minutes of bicycle, and 15 minutes of walking. He's burning calories, sure. However, it's not the most efficient way to lose the 300+ pound weight he has. Weight training is a necessity.

8) Chatting, giving advice, talking nonsense. It's perfectly fine to chat with a couple people to get to know them. It's perfectly fine to ask advice from someone about a certain exercise when they are done with their sets. --- What's not fine is when you're going out of your way to give advice to someone else. Unless you're Schwarzenegger himself, or a professional body builder or trainer, you have no reason to give advice unless what the person is doing can lead to injury (then go ahead give advice).

Also don't be annoyed when people give you advice, I take their advice and give my appreciation even when I find it annoying. It's good to chat and make friends with people who work out often, but don't get in the way of their work-out and don't waste their time.

I had an average looking guy in JEANS... IN JEANS... in the gym... telling me how to do dumbbell flyes, when I had already looked up how to do it online years ago.

------
    Anyway, I hope that helps some of you not waste time in the gym. Here's some motivation for your next work out:
    Last edited by Brian94; 08-23-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dizzle518 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    this is 8, not 10 :O!

Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bad form should be on that list.

nice motivation

Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dizzle518 View Post
    this is 8, not 10 :O!
    Sorry about that I totally forgot to change the 10 to 8. I didn't want to sound repetitive just to fit 10.

modsoul has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lol, the girl in the motivation is using a smith machine for squats... a good way to hurt your self............... don't know what wrong with me that i look at the machine though.

Registered User texas_longhorns's Avatar
    texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10) texas_longhorns is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Brian94 View Post
    Face it, if you're lifting over 40 pounds of dumbbells, you have to drop the weights after your sets----
    that's just not true, unless you're weak. i slowly set the dumbbells down when i am doing shoulder press or dumbbell press or anything like that. lying there slamming the weights is for idiots, you don't HAVE TO do it for anything over 40 pounds. i was just shrugging 80 lb dumbbells and not dropping them last night as a matter of fact.

if you drop the weights incessantly then there is something wrong with the way you are lifting.

Originally Posted by texas_longhorns View Post
    that's just not true, unless you're weak. i slowly set the dumbbells down when i am doing shoulder press or dumbbell press or anything like that. lying there slamming the weights is for idiots, you don't HAVE TO do it for anything over 40 pounds. i was just shrugging 80 lb dumbbells and not dropping them last night as a matter of fact.

if you drop the weights incessantly then there is something wrong with the way you are lifting.
    No, you may be able to put it down, perhaps you are extremely flexible. However, anyone normal who tries to lower all the way to the floor two dumbbells after a bench press or shoulder press without making a thump sound--is risking severe injury.

Now, if you normally lift 80 lb dumbbells, and that day you happen to be working out with 40 lb dumbbells, then sure, you could set it down quietly without as much effort. (Btw, shrugging is easy, I don't drop that either).

But if your max is 45 lb, and you're lifting 40 lb dumbbells, then you try to lower the dumbbells all the way to the floor, you could dislocate your shoulder, or pull a muscle. Believe it or not, you have to let go of dumbbells if they are too heavy for you. Believe me, I've tried to set down my dumbbells many times to the floor, and it hurt like hell.

It's very risky, and it's a noobie mistake to try to "set it down quietly"--because there's no consequence for dropping them (unless its your delicate floor in your home).

"if you drop the weights incessantly then there is something wrong with the way you are lifting" ----- What's that suppose to mean? I know how to use dumbbells, as do many others who drop the weights and don't want to risk injury.

If you want to waste the time and energy to set down those dumbbells quietly with great risk of injury, by all means, go right ahead--It's your body.
    Last edited by Brian94; 08-23-2010 at 03:52 PM.

weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000) weak704 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    1. Not eating or not eating enough when out of the gym.
    2. Not getting enough rest.
    3. Doing some advanced bodybuilding split when in reality your just a 140lbs twirp who needs to focus on gaining mass and strength before getting your bicep peak.

/thread

Diet, rest, heavy weights!! Everything else doesn't matter

tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50) tunagoat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Fenix266 View Post

nice motivation
    I agree
    Current/Goal(May28th-birthday)
    Bench - 215x1/225x1
    Dead - 405x1/405x1 CHECK :)
    Squat - 255x1/275x1

PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No, you may be able to put it down, perhaps you are extremely flexible. However, anyone normal who tries to lower all the way to the floor two dumbbells after a bench press or shoulder press without making a thump sound--is risking severe injury.

Now, if you normally lift 80 lb dumbbells, and that day you happen to be working out with 40 lb dumbbells, then sure, you could set it down quietly without as much effort. (Btw, shrugging is easy, I don't drop that either).

But if your max is 45 lb, and you're lifting 40 lb dumbbells, then you try to lower the dumbbells all the way to the floor, you could dislocate your shoulder, or pull a muscle. Believe it or not, you have to let go of dumbbells if they are too heavy for you. Believe me, I've tried to set down my dumbbells many times to the floor, and it hurt like hell.

It's very risky, and it's a noobie mistake to try to "set it down quietly"--because there's no consequence for dropping them (unless its your delicate floor in your home).

"if you drop the weights incessantly then there is something wrong with the way you are lifting" ----- What's that suppose to mean? I know how to use dumbbells, as do many others who drop the weights and don't want to risk injury.

If you want to waste the time and energy to set down those dumbbells quietly with great risk of injury, by all means, go right ahead--It's your body.

...You're one to give advice. Look at that ridiculous physique you have to, unfortunately, call a body. If I looked like that I'd get into Sub-Saharin African modeling, because bro, you look sick.

Anyways, when someone drops the weight, whether benching, shoulder pressing, whatever with dumbells, they a nOOb. If you dont have the strength to lower the weight to the ground, then dont use it. I've never had a problem dropping the weight, I can control it because I've built the strength and dont go beyond what I cant lift. And think about it, respect the weights you use to build that body, with all the dropping you pose more of a risk in breaking them. But In your case, you dont seem to care, and why would you? Check out those inverted bi's...

People like you piss me off so bad. Go do P90x and take some creatine steroids, junior. I'm done.
    Last edited by PalmarLegacy; 08-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Registered User PoweredByOrange's Avatar
    PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoweredByOrange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice motivation. Also teenagers who just work arms. I have a friend like that unfortunately.
    Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.

LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You really should not be making threads in this section.

Originally Posted by PalmarLegacy View Post
    ...You're one to give advice. Look at that ridiculous physique you have to, unfortunately, call a body. If I looked like that I'd get into Sub-Saharin African modeling, because bro, you look sick.

Anyways, when someone drops the weight, whether benching, shoulder pressing, whatever with dumbells, they a nOOb. If you dont have the strength to lower the weight to the ground, then dont use it. I've never had a problem dropping the weight, I can control it because I've built the strength and dont go beyond what I cant lift. And think about it, respect the weights you use to build that body, with all the dropping you pose more of a risk in breaking them. But In your case, you dont seem to care, and why would you? Check out those inverted bi's...

People like you piss me off so bad. Go do P90x and take some creatine steroids, junior. I'm done.
    Jerks like you piss me off too. You just go around insulting other people because it makes you feel superior to others. Get that checked out at a psychologist man, you won't make friends this way.

If you're not dropping the weights, it's because you're a noob--- and you are, you just confessed. You confessed right here: " and dont go beyond what I cant lift"

You don't know the first golden rule of weight training: Train to fail. No pain no gain buddy. Obviously you're able to lift maybe 30 pounds but you're lifting 10 pounds so you have an easy time lifting weights and you quietly put the weights on the floor like a nice little boy. You don't lift stuff you can do easily, you lift stuff that makes you sweat and work hard.

Buddy, when you get to actually large weights, go ahead and try to put it on the floor quietly, you'll injure yourself. Then come back and give others advice.

Go ahead, go tell this guy to put his weight down quietly, tell him his technique is ALL wrong... Go ahead, PM him right now on youtube, tell me how he responds, teach him a lesson.

Originally Posted by LegosInMyEgos View Post
    You really should not be making threads in this section.
    You really shouldn't tell people what to do. The article was approved; it's well-researched and I put some great thought into it.

You'd be surprised how many people lift weights for years without doing any research except what someone else told them. My physique may not be perfect, but that doesn't mean I can't give helpful advice.

LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You really shouldn't tell people what to do. The article was approved; it's well-researched and I put some great thought into it.

You'd be surprised how many people lift weights for years without doing any research except what someone else told them. My physique may not be perfect, but that doesn't mean I can't give helpful advice.
    Well, the advice you are giving is either flat out wrong, or personal conjecture based on what seems like no experience. You can't seriously google bodybuilding for a few hours and than expect people to take your advice as if you had a PHD in human anatomy and have been lifting for 25 years.

PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10) PalmarLegacy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Jerks like you piss me off too. You just go around insulting other people because it makes you feel superior to others. Get that checked out at a psychologist man, you won't make friends this way.

If you're not dropping the weights, it's because you're a noob--- and you are, you just confessed. You confessed right here: " and dont go beyond what I cant lift"

You don't know the first golden rule of weight training: Train to fail. No pain no gain buddy. Obviously you're able to lift maybe 30 pounds but you're lifting 10 pounds so you have an easy time lifting weights and you quietly put the weights on the floor like a nice little boy. You don't lift stuff you can do easily, you lift stuff that makes you sweat and work hard.

Buddy, when you get to actually large weights, go ahead and try to put it on the floor quietly, you'll injure yourself. Then come back and give others advice.

Go ahead, go tell this guy to put his weight down quietly, tell him his technique is ALL wrong... Go ahead, PM him right now on youtube, tell me how he responds, teach him a lesson.
    I'm not here looking for friends, what I am here for is to insure that you dont continue to give your 'advice.' Let's say I do 120's for dumbell bench press. I may max out with 6 reps, and you can bet your ass I can put that weight right back on the floor without having to throw that sh*t like I have something to prove. And congrats on the video, good effort but I dont know what the f*ck it has to do with anything. Cool. He drops his weights too, I get it, in return I'll find you a vid on the 'art' of 1/4 squats, a guy walking around with invisible lat syndrome and a Justin Beiber walking into a glass door.

I've never slammed the weights, I lift heavy, look at my stats rookie. Speaking of rookie, no pain no gain? Then what the heck are you doing? Pain? The only pain you're dealing with is all those tears you get from your great grandmother beating you.

Point is I lift heavy, drop the weight in a civilized manner, and dont injure myself. Maybe you can take some of MY advice and hopefully de-flate that head of yours so that your body looks less ridiculous.

xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xaaronzx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    imagine maxing out on a deadleft, *uck no i aint gonna try to put that down slowly. thats just asking for it. you might as well not ask for a spotter if you dont wanna drop the weights..... i agree with this article to some extent. sweat dont mean a thing though. cleaning up equipment is a personal choice, not being a noob. i always have a good time workin out with a friend that i like to chatter with.
    Training with the wind

PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PatFel is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The first few points of this article were pretty true, i was reading it thinking "yep this is pretty good, a few glaring errors (for example: not sweating = not working right - this is WRONG, some people don't sweat as much except with higher rep workouts)but all in all relatively sensible",
    Then a couple of your last points are stupid and just plain wrong. Especialy with your subsequent arguing you've proved to everyone how stupid you are and how little you actually know about weightlifting/bodybuilding.

For example: not sweating = not working right - this is WRONG, some people don't sweat as much except with higher rep workouts
    People Should drop weights? ARE YOU ****ING RETARTED? People who drop dumbells at the gym are the biggest jokes of all and everyon ereading your article is laughing at you
    Weight training necassary to lose weight? This just plain wrong and what you said is the complete OPPOSITE of the truth

It's ok to be wrong, but dont try to give completely detrimental advice to people or argue with people 100 times smarter, stronger and more experienced than you. Please do not post anymore advice and limit yourself to listening to other people and you might LEARN SOMETHING

TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheRighteous has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I'm sure you've all seen it, and maybe you even thought about telling the person to do things differently but it could be construed as rude. Perhaps you have been doing things a certain way due to habit, and didn't know it was not the right way.

1) Taking 6 minute+ breaks. The guy occupies the only incline-bench in the gym--has turned it FLAT while there are empty flat benches available--and is taking a 7 minute zone-out looking into the ceiling. You're wasting your time.

Most optimum break-time for muscle hypertrophy, would be anywhere from 60 seconds to 5 minutes for between each set. Some researchers say that 2 minute+ breaks for hypertrophy and strength, while only 1 minute or less for endurance. The shorter breaks, the more it becomes similar to cardiovascular exercises. I tend to take around 1 minute breaks, but I think I will be more careful about going a bit over 1 minute.

2) Doing too many reps. More work = more muscle right? Yes in weight sizes, not in amount of reps. Doing more than 15 reps on any exercise is actually endurance training. You're better off just doing a 4th or 5th set.

3) Doing the same work out for over a year or simply not sweating. 2020 wrote a nice article on this, explaining that sometimes you need to change your routine so that your body doesn't get use to the same cardio or same weights/sets. The importance of failing in doing your exercises/weights is significant. You have to fail to see gains.

Don't come to the gym, and do exercises, and leave without even breaking a sweat. If you're not sweating even in a cold gym---YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

4) Doing light cardio, or low intensity cardio for a long time coupled with high expectations of huge losses of fat Cardio is always useful, but if you're only working out slow-twitch muscles (walking for 40 minutes), or only fast-twitch muscles (running for 20 minutes), you will not burn as much calories as someone doing HIIT (15 minutes of sprinting and walking/slow-jogging). HIIT is known to burn way more fat and burn more calories post-workout than LI training.

5) Doing 100-300 crunches per day and expecting rock hard 8-pack. My friend use to do this all the time, 300 crunches every work out, and said "hey look, I can barely see a border for my abs today--awesome!" after like 4-6 months of doing it.

First, one type of crunches doesn't work out all 8 packs. Secondly, abs are made in the kitchen--with really low body fat %. (This same friend didn't quit drinking scotch every night while working hard [in fact, today, he still drinks scotch]).

Abs are not the thickest muscle, they will show if you go low enough and do regular 3-4 sets of ab crunches. If you were to integrate some twisting incline ab crunches or work outs for the obliques, you will definitely start seeing an 8 pack, eventually, unless you have the worst genetics. But you gotta be below 10% body fat. I do crunches regularly, but you will never see my abs until I get down to 10% body fat (even if they are particularly strong and worked out currently).

6) Being too perfectly neat. We've all seen the guy or girl who goes and grabs tissues or wipes down all equipment before and after use. They give glaring stares if you happen to forgot to wipe down one equipment.

First of all, if your gym is maintained at all, there are people hired to specifically clean all equipment every week (otherwise, that's just a bad gym). Secondly, unless you just did cardio and you're all sweaty, you probably won't get the equipment that dirty. Third, if you're a clean person, you should have washed your hands and taken a shower anyway [as well as afterward], so stop wasting your time being the cleaning lady. Instead do more sets.

How about the guy who tries to lower the dumbbells to the floor after a bench. Ah yes, thanks for not dropping the dumbbells and not making some minor noises--you've saved us all. In the meantime, you could risk injury to your shoulders or other muscles. I sure hope you have a dependable health insurance. Face it, if you're lifting over 40 pounds of dumbbells, you have to drop the weights after your sets-----for those neurotic OCD people in the gym that don't like that, grow up, stop assuming you can control everyone and stop getting annoyed by every little thing or you'll live an unhappy life.

7) Doing only cardio with no weight training, expecting huge fat loss. I know a really really fat guy in the gym, and every day he does 40 minutes of elliptical, 30 minutes of bicycle, and 15 minutes of walking. He's burning calories, sure. However, it's not the most efficient way to lose the 300+ pound weight he has. Weight training is a necessity.

8) Chatting, giving advice, talking nonsense. It's perfectly fine to chat with a couple people to get to know them. It's perfectly fine to ask advice from someone about a certain exercise when they are done with their sets. --- What's not fine is when you're going out of your way to give advice to someone else. Unless you're Schwarzenegger himself, or a professional body builder or trainer, you have no reason to give advice unless what the person is doing can lead to injury (then go ahead give advice).

Also don't be annoyed when people give you advice, I take their advice and give my appreciation even when I find it annoying. It's good to chat and make friends with people who work out often, but don't get in the way of their work-out and don't waste their time.

I had an average looking guy in JEANS... IN JEANS... in the gym... telling me how to do dumbbell flyes, when I had already looked up how to do it online years ago.

------
    Anyway, I hope that helps some of you not waste time in the gym. Here's some motivation for your next work out:
    The Smith Machine squat just killed the motivation.
    [QUOTE=BredFromFire;381180361]working out without deads and squats is like having sex without the girl.

Lifts All Raw (2014):
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 475 (Belt Only)
    Deadlift:565
    Total: 1405

[QUOTE=enkaroxch;734516233]Saudi Arabia has an incredibly warm relationship with Israel.[/QUOTE]

Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

------
    I agree with everythin but #6. *edit , #8 is also fairly stupid. I like giving advice to people that are not doing their exercises properly. wow #3 is stupid too about sweating.
    Good thing I actually read it this time, lol.

If someone bench presses or uses one of the seats to do some kind of presses, and have his or her sweat all over the bench, you should clean it up with a paper towel for the next person to use. I dont know about you bro, but it sure pisses me off when I see a lot of sweat on a bench, and I have to clean it up because that person is "2 cool" for it.

As for dumbbell, dropping your weights after your sets? if you lift over 40 lbs, you have to drop the weights?
    No bro No...... If you have trouble dropping your weight after lifting over 40 lbs.... Im not even gonna say.... Respect the equipments bro, and get stronger, obviously you are a noob if you have to drop it.
    Last edited by Scho77; 08-23-2010 at 08:43 PM.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FeaRxUnLeAsHeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Only thing i disagree with is part of #8. I honestly don't recommend giving advice to strangers.. it's mostly their fault they didnt take the time to learn proper form.. and they usually take it the wrong way.

i see way too many people doing deadlifts with a rounded back.. i dont say anything. its not my place.
    Certified Fitness Trainer (CFT) through ISSA

Your Online Coach & Trainer
    www.TheFinestFitness.com
    http://********.com/thefinestfitness
    http://twitter.com/finest_fitness
    http://instagram.com/thefinestfitness

My Road to a fitness model in 365

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162551711&p=1258887311#post1258887311

NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000)
    You don't have to sweat to have a good workout.
    Thats just your bodies way to cool down, nothing else.

And lol at dropping weights, I never drop dumbells, thats just being lazy and obnoxious.

Originally Posted by PatFel View Post
    Then a couple of your last points are stupid and just plain wrong. Especialy with your subsequent arguing you've proved to everyone how stupid you are and how little you actually know about weightlifting/bodybuilding.

For example: not sweating = not working right - this is WRONG, some people don't sweat as much except with higher rep workouts
    People Should drop weights? ARE YOU ****ING RETARTED? People who drop dumbells at the gym are the biggest jokes of all and everyon ereading your article is laughing at you
    Weight training necassary to lose weight? This just plain wrong and what you said is the complete OPPOSITE of the truth
    You can't even spell **** and you're calling me retarded? Grow the hell up man. There's no 1-way to lose fat. Of course someone can lose weight with just diet. I was talking about the most efficient way. This is common knowledge.

Usually if you're sweating it's because you're working out hard, I'm not saying you NEED to sweat. I'm saying, if you're not working hard, you're not making gains. This is simple logic. I don't know why you're so against this.

It's ok to be wrong, but dont try to give completely detrimental advice to people or argue with people 100 times smarter, stronger and more experienced than you. Please do not post anymore advice and limit yourself to listening to other people and you might LEARN SOMETHING
    There is not a single detrimental advice in this article. Read it again. I don't care how smart anyone thinks they are, if they want to "lower the weights to the floor", they are not accomplishing any goal. There's no benefit to lowering the weights slowly to the floor except for the minor use of energy and risking your injury. Simple as that.

Jeez, why everyone here so immature? I guess since it's the internet you like talkin' trash.

Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scho77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can't even spell **** and you're calling me retarded? Grow the hell up man. There's no 1-way to lose fat. Of course someone can lose weight with just diet. I was talking about the most efficient way. This is common knowledge.

Usually if you're sweating it's because you're working out hard, I'm not saying you NEED to sweat. I'm saying, if you're not working hard, you're not making gains. This is simple logic. I don't know why you're so against this.

There is not a single detrimental advice in this article. Read it again. I don't care how smart anyone thinks they are, if they want to "lower the weights to the floor", they are not accomplishing any goal. There's no benefit to lowering the weights slowly to the floor except for the minor use of energy and risking your injury. Simple as that.

Jeez, why everyone here so immature? I guess since it's the internet you like talkin' trash.

1) "if you are sweating, that means you are working hard"
    First of all, I do heavy weights low reps, making my break time short to make it intense. I normally dont sweat that much during my gym. I know I am working hard, I know Im seeing gains. You dont have to sweat to show that you are working hard, unless you are doing somethin like cardio.

Lowering the weights slowly to the floor shouldnt be a problem, if you are strong enough. simple as that. you should stop giving advice, cause you obviously cant.
    Why are people here so immature? Its because we like to say stuff back to people like you who give retarded information.

Originally Posted by Scho77 View Post
    If someone bench presses or uses one of the seats to do some kind of presses, and have his or her sweat all over the bench, you should clean it up with a paper towel for the next person to use. I dont know about you bro, but it sure pisses me off when I see a lot of sweat on a bench, and I have to clean it up because that person is "2 cool" for it.

As for dumbbell, dropping your weights after your sets? if you lift over 40 lbs, you have to drop the weights?
    No bro No...... If you have trouble dropping your weight after lifting over 40 lbs.... Im not even gonna say.... Respect the equipments bro, and get stronger, obviously you are a noob if you have to drop it.
    I agree that if you've sweated on your seat, of course you clean it up. That's just manners.

But I'm talking about when you barely even sat on it, and you're cleaning it like as if it's really dirty. Regardless, this can depend on your gym, some gyms are dirtier than others. Furthermore, it's not even that important, you can do as you please, whatever you think is best, I'm just saying don't waste your time at the gym.

You are a noob if you have to lower it. You're just wasting time and energy and risking injury. Simple as that. Are you saying, there's no way to get injured this way? Please show me a video, and I'll point out where your muscles are being pulled.

I'm not sure what you guys have against dropping weights... Is this some sort of crime? Do your feelings get hurt when I drop my weights? Do you get annoyed when I drop my weights? Dropping weights is normal, it's the safer way when you're lifting heavy weights.

Go ahead and keep lowering your weights to the floor after doing bench press; it's your body, and only you will be risking injury, and I can care less what you do.

Originally Posted by Scho77 View Post
    1) "if you are sweating, that means you are working hard"
    First of all, I do heavy weights low reps, making my break time short to make it intense. I normally dont sweat that much during my gym. I know I am working hard, I know Im seeing gains. You dont have to sweat to show that you are working hard, unless you are doing somethin like cardio.

Lowering the weights slowly to the floor shouldnt be a problem, if you are strong enough. simple as that. you should stop giving advice, cause you obviously cant.
    Why are people here so immature? Its because we like to say stuff back to people like you give retarded information.
    If there is a room with temperature A, and if your buddy is working out and sweating a lot, it's because he's generating energy, this heat needs to be expelled from the body through sweat. If you, in the room with temperature A, are not sweating at all, while doing the same exercises, it's probably because you're doing very low weights. It's general advice---can someone get a great work out, without breaking a single sweat drop? SURE--- anything is possible. Is it likely that the sweaty guy got a good work out versus the guy who hasn't sweat? Yes it's statistically likely.

It's not a necessary requirement to sweat. In fact, you could do low intensity exercises all year, with very low weights, with lots of breaks--- and still create muscle. But is it the most efficient way? Probably not.

I'm just going to ignore your immaturity. My information is still valid.

NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000)
    and I can care less what you do.
    Then why the hell you make this pointless thread if you don't care?

I rage if someone drops a weight in the middle of my set, but luckily almost no one does that at my gym.

Originally Posted by NZDarren View Post
    You don't have to sweat to have a good workout.
    Thats just your bodies way to cool down, nothing else.

And lol at dropping weights, I never drop dumbells, thats just being lazy and obnoxious.
    Like I said, it's your body, you can risk injury if you like, I'm just telling you the safest way. It's not lazy, you're saving your energy for the actual muscle you're trying to work out. There's nothing obnoxious about it.

If you're annoyed by people dropping weights, then you're annoyed by a ton of things people do in society, and you'll just live an unhappy life with your low tolerance.

Then why the hell you make this pointless thread if you don't care?

I rage if someone drops a weight in the middle of my set, but luckily almost no one does that at my gym.
    I made the thread to give people useful advice. You don't have to agree, and you can stick to your habits.

Show me a video of how you put down your weights. I want to see how quiet you are. If you're lifting heavy, you have to drop weights sometimes, only if you're not working out hard can you lower weights perfectly and quietly.
    Last edited by Brian94; 08-23-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Please explain to me physiologically why it's dangerous to lower the weights in a controlled manner. Please make sure to footnote the sources you used when you spend the next 15 minutes googling and taking something out of context to support your theory.

Originally Posted by LegosInMyEgos View Post
    Please explain to me physiologically why it's dangerous to lower the weights in a controlled manner. Please make sure to footnote the sources you used when you spend the next 15 minutes googling and taking something out of context to support your theory.
    Do you understand how muscle injuries occur? If you bend your muscles in a way they are not suppose to, you MAY injure them (is it guaranteed? No, but it's increasing the risk).

Examples and sources:
    the ligaments can be injured by being stretched too far from their normal position.
    By pulling too far on a muscle, or by pulling a muscle in one direction while it is contracting in the other direction can cause injuries within the muscle or tendon.
    http://www.mamashealth.com/bodyparts/mstrain.asp

You're doing a bench press. Now you've done your last rep, and your arms are already weakened, and you lower the dumbbells to your side. Now you twist your arm to put it on the ground, this is risky. Do you need me to bring you a doctor's quote for it?