jon123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

building muscle in a calorie deficit?!

is this possible, i've read a lot of people saying it just isn't possible, but i don't understand why not, for example if you need 2500 calories and you eat 2300 on a given day you are under by 200 calories, in any other bodily function your body would just get those 200 calories from fat, why is it not the same with building muscle. Muscle building is an adaptive response to weight training where your body percieves a threat to your bodies survival by the stress and micro tears put on your muscles, if i got stabbed and was damaged even in a calorie deficit my body would repair the wound, and muscle building is in effect repairing the muscles and making them stronger so they won't get "damaged" again? I can see if their was a significant deficit it could be a problem but if its in the same ball part figure is it really a problem?

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need a caloric surplus to build muscle.

The only time I've seen people build muscle while in an overall deficit is either super fat people or people who are carb cycling.
    *No Crew*

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TexAss View Post
    The only time I've seen people build muscle while in an overall deficit is either super fat people or people who are carb cycling.
    ... or noobs who are touching weights for the first time in their life.

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
    ... or noobs who are touching weights for the first time in their life.
    Even noobs would get crap gains if any when in a deficit unless it is mild. I see your point though

Not to mention noobs are doing themselves a disservice by not taking full advantage of noob gains by eating rather than dieting.
    *No Crew*

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    is this possible, i've read a lot of people saying it just isn't possible, but i don't understand why not, for example if you need 2500 calories and you eat 2300 on a given day you are under by 200 calories, in any other bodily function your body would just get those 200 calories from fat, why is it not the same with building muscle. Muscle building is an adaptive response to weight training where your body percieves a threat to your bodies survival by the stress and micro tears put on your muscles, if i got stabbed and was damaged even in a calorie deficit my body would repair the wound, and muscle building is in effect repairing the muscles and making them stronger so they won't get "damaged" again? I can see if their was a significant deficit it could be a problem but if its in the same ball part figure is it really a problem?
    the 200 calories from fat scenario you suggest... your body will get some fat to cover the calories needed, but its looking for fuel to burn not weight to gain. also it wont just get fat necessary either, it may take a little muscle away to burn as fuel too.

jon123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by james0566 View Post
    the 200 calories from fat scenario you suggest... your body will get some fat to cover the calories needed, but its looking for fuel to burn not weight to gain. also it wont just get fat necessary either, it may take a little muscle away to burn as fuel too.
    this is highly unlikely, your body will do everything it can to not use muscle as a fuel for energy this will only happen with a severe deficit.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    this is highly unlikely, your body will do everything it can to not use muscle as a fuel for energy this will only happen with a severe deficit.
    More the opposite. In terms of evolution and survival, muscle is a much less valuable commodity than fat, and your body isn't going to go out of its way to hold on to it. That's why dieters can lose so much muscle unless they're very careful about protein intake and continue to lift heavy.

For those who are not obese and/or untrained to begin with, building any new muscle in a deficit is not likely to happen. You can gain some strength through improved neural efficiency, but don't waste your time expecting new muscle.

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TexAss View Post
    Even noobs would get crap gains if any when in a deficit unless it is mild. I see your point though

Not to mention noobs are doing themselves a disservice by not taking full advantage of noob gains by eating rather than dieting.
    Unless they are really fat
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

Originally Posted by Ironwake View Post
    Unless they are really fat
    It's deja vu all over again.
    *No Crew*

euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000)
    ..But you can turn fat into muscle!
    Philadelphia Flyers

Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To the OP, you're thinking of your body as an oversimplified machine. It doesn't work in the way you think it does. Everyone else basically said everything else needed to say.

kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

genitics

I think they play a huge role in this. i have lost about 30 lbs since sept 1 and def added some muscle on my back and shoulders specificly. I vissable see and feel the difference in my back. I have also lost about 6-7 " in my waist, so i have lost fat (not just water). I was probably about 18% bf then and now down to about 14-15%. i def. carb cycled though. I do 2200-2500 per day mon-fri (low carbs), and 3000 (normal carbs) on weekends. I eat very clean and get plenty of protien,. i lift 3-4x a week and either do fasted cardio in the morning or cardio after lifting (little hilt, mostly just walking)

Now i'm not saying anyone can do this. I'm very intune with my body (been doing this for years) and put in a ish load of hard work...but i do get results!!! so yes it can be done, but i think most people would do better focusing on one or the other!!
    Last edited by kurty8; 12-22-2009 at 08:59 AM.