Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

The Official GPP Thread

This is some interesting stuff. I wasn't familiar with the concept until recently when I saw it mentioned a few times on here and IA's forum. Since the discussions are sort of scattered throughout different threads, I thought it would be nice to have a centralized place to discuss and ask questions about GPP.

If you are interested in learning about what GPP is, here are a couple of good places to start:
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=115
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=829399&page=2

I have a question to get things started:

In addition to sled dragging, ax work and tire tossing, what are some other practical ways a person could do GPP work with stuff typically found lying around the house, yard, etc?

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ahhhhh, a GPP thread. *VikingMan gets comfortable*

GPP is like a warm fuzzy blanket on a cold winter day....

Another good one is a keg toss. The name is from Joe Defranco's website, but basically, you get a semi heavy object(20 to 100 pounds), and heave it up and over your head. Turn around, and repeat. Great posterier/upper back work.

Also, a tug-of-war with some budies is good stuff, not to mention i fosters great friendships with a little competition.

Here's some more great links.

Defranco's Strongman Article
    http://www.defrancostraining.com/art..._strongman.htm

Increasing work capacity by Iron Addict
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=638493
    Last edited by VikingMan; 06-27-2006 at 10:07 AM.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    General Physical Preparedness: Westside Style
    By Dave Tate
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=459405

GPP ASAP
    by Chad Waterbury
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=468125

An article by Louie Simmons:
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls14.htm

General Physical Preparedness: The missing link in strength training
    By Bryan Mann
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/ge...eparedness.htm

Increase General Physical Preparedness
    by Chad Waterbury
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/163/

G.P.P
    by Bob Youngs
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/gpp.htm

GPP for High School Freshmen
    By Mark McLaughlin
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/gpp_for_freshmen.htm
    Last edited by TheCore; 06-27-2006 at 10:21 AM.

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also want to add GPP sessions to my workout regimen, found this info today

Now to get/make the equipment to use for the GPP sessions, Vikinman how did you make your sled?

VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    My sled is ultra basic. I used two 3 foot 4X4's, beveled at one end as runners. Then I laid down about four, 3 foot long 2X4's across the 4X4's and nailed them down. And viola, there's the sled. On top of that, I put an 80 pound bag of concrete (concrete is cheap) for weight. I'm getting ready to up that a little in a couple weeks.I attatch a rope to the front, then the rope to my dip belt. And off we go.

Here's a couple diagrams.
    Attached Images
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

I like basic and simple, those things last the longest. I got an old sled, from when I was a kid (for playing in the snow), couldn't I just tie a rope to that and throw a bag of concrete on it?

And I have no idea of where to get myself a big ass tire

Guess I will have to do some improvising...

Originally Posted by TheCore
    I like basic and simple, those things last the longest. I got an old sled, from when I was a kid (for playing in the snow), couldn't I just tie a rope to that and throw a bag of concrete on it?
    Hell yeah. I mean, if it works, then use it as long as you can!

And I have no idea of where to get myself a big ass tire
    Tire shops. I'm told that they have to pay to get rid of old tires though I'm not sure if this is true or not. If it is, they would be more than happy to have you haul away their old tires. You might have to do some searching for one that had an old, huge tractor tire laying around, if that's what you're looking for.

Registered User the iron addict's Avatar
    the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    Here are directions on having a metal one built. Most people get them made for 25-50 bucks.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4199

IA

Sweet, this thread is great! This is gonna make cardio and active recovery fun again

Sweet, this thread is great! This is gonna make cardio and active recovery fun again
    I know, I look forward to my dragging sessions almost as much as my lifting sessions... almost...

Soap box squatting. Andrew.Cook's Avatar
    Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by VikingMan
    Tire shops. I'm told that they have to pay to get rid of old tires though I'm not sure if this is true or not. If it is, they would be more than happy to have you haul away their old tires. You might have to do some searching for one that had an old, huge tractor tire laying around, if that's what you're looking for.
    Yeah, this is the Rumor. There is some kind of recycling fee. Also been told that you can typically buy kegs from a bar for the price of a deposit. Anyone know what that is? Man, I have not had a keg in a decade, lol.

Key here is to get a tire BIG enough. I mean, it probably needs to be 300-400 lbs... which makes the logistics of moving it to your house fairly rough. Probably need a couple guys to load it, then just roll it off when you get home. Gotta figure that it is all leverage, not actually lifting the full weight. AND, you need to make sure it is thick enough to get your chest into it. Remember it is not a dead lift, it is flipped up with leg drive

I would suggest Marund************ but their site has been down for a couple days. They have tons of good links, videos... and more forums. Who doesn't love forums?

the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why do you guys complicate everything???? You can have a metal sled built for 25-50 bucks and if you don't have a house that allows you to just open your garage and start pulling, you can put it in the trunk of your car and drive to your pulling location--geez

IA

Originally Posted by the iron addict
    Why do you guys complicate everything???? You can have a metal sled built for 25-50 bucks and if you don't have a house that allows you to just open your garage and start pulling, you can put it in the trunk of your car and drive to your pulling location--geez

IA
    Whose making it more complicated? Mine cost me ZERO. Just the leftovers from a fence building project. And concrete is a heck of a lot cheaper than actual plates. Just get it wet in the bag, and your good.

But yeah, I just keep it in the back of my 4Runner. I'll stop by the dirt road I drag on, on my way home from work, setup, and start dragging.

IA, I had a question for you, considering plyometrics.

What would be the best plyometric exercises to preform to enhance speed and explosiveness for weightlifting?

And what would the parameters look like?

Basic sled pulling schedule from IA; http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3653

wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

I don't do any GPP. Maybe that's why my conditioning and recovery sucks.

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm definately going to continue GPP once my knee heals. Taking it slow though - although i would love to still be pushing my car around a parking lot. ;-)
    I've still got a lot to learn.

There is no end to what some of you will do to save $ for a sled:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...1186#post81186

BTW, he is pulling too fast IMO.

IA

wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Matt is the man. The guy does some wierd things with that washing machine. I can only tip my hat to him.

There is no end to what some of you will do to save $ for a sled:
    Now, why does a sled have to cost money? Does my body say, "Damn, he's using a home made gheto sled, no benefit for him today!"

And if I need to spend 25-50 dollars for it to pass inspection, then why not go all out and recommend the 150 dollar ones on Elite Fitness Systems?

Besides, if I save money on the sled, I can spend it on sups, right?

Now, why does a sled have to cost money? Does my body say, "Damn, he's using a home made gheto sled, no benefit for him today!"

And if I need to spend 25-50 dollars for it to pass inspection, then why not go all out and recommend the 150 dollar ones on Elite Fitness Systems?

Extra fish oil, baby!!! Mmm, tasty orange flavor.

It doesn't hurt a thing.....but........being someone that train a lot of people and see's trends, what is VERY OFTEN the case (not saying it is in yours) is that the guys that won't or can't spend 25 bucks for a piece of equipment that will literally last them years, will spend much more than that building a cheap one 5 times. And these are the guys that use one a day vitamins instead of something that has everything they need, that use **** quality protein, and end up eating proceesed lunch meat and other **** on a frequent basis to save a few bucks.

If ghetto makes you happy, go for it

IA

It doesn't hurt a thing.....but........being someone that train a lot of people and see's trends, what is VERY OFTEN the case (not saying it is in yours) is that the guys that won't or can't spend 25 bucks for a piece of equipment that will literally last them years, will spend much more than that building a cheap one 5 times. And these are the guys that use one a day vitamins instead of something that has everything they need, that use **** quality protein, and end up eating proceesed lunch meat and other **** on a frequent basis to save a few bucks.

If ghetto makes you happy, go for it

IA
    Okay, so you're approaching this from a "don't be a cheap bastard point of view". I was just looking at it from a "get your ass in gear and start dragging something now" point of view. And, it might be cheap, but I have a hard time seeing how it's ever going to break. The 4X4's will wear down to nothing before the thing breaks, and that's going to take a while(see pic).

Optimum protein and roast beef for me. Though I admittedly do use a Wal-Mart multi.

What's a good multi to use?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by VikingMan; 06-27-2006 at 11:43 PM.

Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Okay, so you're approaching this from a "don't be a cheap bastard point of view". I was just looking at it from a "get your ass in gear and start dragging something now" point of view. And, it might be cheap, but I have a hard time seeing how it's ever going to break. The 4X4's will wear down to nothing before the thing breaks, and that's going to take a while(see pic).

Optimum protein and roast beef for me. Though I admittedly do use a Wal-Mart multi.

What's a good multi to use?
    Looks like something befitting a "viking" perhaps you can get a little dragon decoration for the bow of it... like an old viking ship.

Hey, I was considering just drilling a couple holes in a sheet of plywood to run chains through. I'm all for ghetto Heck, at least you used nails! lol. If I could find a sheet of plywood with a hole already in it, I would. In fact, perhaps I'll just mosey over to the junk yard and see if I can get an old quarter panel off of a buick. That is metal, and roughly sled shaped. Like I said in the other thread, I'm planning on using rocks from my girlfriend's yard to make up my weights. Not even going to spend cash on a cement bag. I'm a freakin' skin flint! lol.

Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sledgehammer training is always fun for ****z and gigglz.

Originally Posted by Andrew.Cook
    In fact, perhaps I'll just mosey over to the junk yard and see if I can get an old quarter panel off of a buick. That is metal, and roughly sled shaped.
    That is so redneck! LOL.

I'll put a little dragon on the front of mine, if you put the hood ornament off the buick you get the quarter panel from on the front of yours.

That is so redneck! LOL.

I'll put a little dragon on the front of mine, if you put the hood ornament off the buick you get the quarter panel from on the front of yours.
    Yeah... my girlfriend would love it if I filled her backyard with car parts, oversized tires, kegs... If you think about it, strongman is kinda redneck. I lived in southeast Georgia for almost 5 years. I probably had friends that had all this stuff in their backyard... and never worked out

How about boulder carrying guys? Bear hug a boulder and go for a walk.

http://www.everythingtrackandfield.c...PPfortheThrows

A good quote from the article.
    I believe that the strongest people who ever lived were born back in the early 1900’s. They were farmers, lumberjacks, miners, and railroad workers. They were strong because of what they did for a living. Back then there was no such thing as Hammer Strength or Cybex equipment. They worked with their hands. Technology was not as big as it is today and convenience was only for the extremely wealthy. People have called this “Functional Strength” and “Grandpa Strength” but what it really shows me is that full body movements create total body strength
    Last edited by VikingMan; 06-29-2006 at 02:23 PM.

^^^ Your body is one whole, train/treat it as such ^^^

This is why I always love watching strongman stuff

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I always watch the strongman competitions for GPP ideas.
    I've still got a lot to learn.