Foxtrot_01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

you get your abs in the kitchen?

Hello all,
    I've read and heard so many articles, exercises, machines that say that if you do this or that you will get your abs.
    Lastly I heard that you get your six or 8 pack in the kitchen more than in the gym, my sister went to a nutritionist and gave her a diet, my sister says that she starting seeing her abs in about 2 weeks, and at the time she wasnt working out. My question is, is this true? are abs made in the kitchen? If so, what is the best diet, what should you eat and what should you stay away from.
    In my case I can say I am a bad example of healthy eating, I just turned 36 and for about 20 years I've had the bad habit of eating once a day, just a big lunch and nothing for the rest of the day. I am about 143lbs, 5'9 and for some reason I can loose about 3 lbs from one night to morning(I dont know how).

I am doing my best to change my habit, I started drinking a EAS protein shake(I got this at costco, 6lbs ) in the morning with a banana or some oatmeal(trust me this is a great improvement from just a glass of iced tea), because of my work I am required to eat on mid-level restaurants(Chilis, applebees, and some other places that are not that healthy) and for some reason I have the need to order something large from the menu. When I dont eat outside I try to get something which I think is healthy like a subway tuna foot long sub or a black forest ham sub, I eat it in one seating, although I am trying my best to just eat half around lunch and the second half around 4pm.
    On the weekends I eat pasta and I try to add tuna to make it seem healthy, but Im thinking on jumping on to Salmon and broccoli.

Exercise: I try to exercise but time is not on my side, I have a set of free weights, and bench press in my house and I try to follow a 30-minute chest workout from my I-fitness Iphone application. But sometimes after a 12 work day you are too tired to work out.
    I am trying to get some cardio(about 30 minutes on the elliptical machine, about twice a week)

dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    did not read it. laugh out loud

x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is very true, what is meant when people say Abs are made in the Kitchen is that the real thing that gives you a 6 pack is loosing fat. You could have the nicest set of abs on the planet but if you have a layer of fat covering them up it really doesn't matter.

Eating out frequently is not ideal but its not a deal breaker either, because the basic idea is you have to expend more energy then you consume.

As far as exercising goes, I hope you are not doing that workout everytime you exercise, and in my opinion if you want abs you have to make the sacrifice of working out so if you really feel you don't have the time then your not going to get a six pack. Getting to a low enough bodyfat to see a six pack is not an easy task and will not happen without putting in the work.

edit: just saw you height and weight, if you cant see a even alittle definition at 140 pounds, you are going to look like bare bones if you cut down. In my opinion for you to get a 6 pack you have alot of muscle to gain before you get what your looking for and no offense but by your original post you dont seem to have the dedication to do so.
    Last edited by x Idealist x; 04-25-2010 at 05:30 AM.
    “A lifetime of sacrifice, dedication and eliminating every excuse…that’s what it takes”.

Starting Weight: 136 lbs Panabol's Avatar
    Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can work on ab definition but unlike biceps you don't get 17" abs. Low bodyfat is what they talk about when they say "in the kitchen". Look out for meals at restaurants that aren't fatty or fried. Go for grilled or baked low fat meats i.e skinless chicken
    Rep Back 2k+ only

jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50) jorgerod will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xxzotic View Post
    You can work on ab definition but unlike biceps you don't get 17" abs. Low bodyfat is what they talk about when they say "in the kitchen". Look out for meals at restaurants that aren't fatty or fried. Go for grilled or baked low fat meats i.e skinless chicken
    Food from restaurants are not only about the calories, it also has to do with sodium and the absurd amounts they use, if you don't exercise or have a balanced diet where your sodium/potassium is in balance this will also be detrimental to your weight loss.

Jorge
    Why do I want to lose weight? Simple, so my body can match my ego.

"He who learns only as a means to an end is destined to never reach his full potential" - JRA

whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whtcavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i don't mind eating out... applebees and such aren't terrible for you, it's knowing what to get. i agree w/the comment about the sodium, but if that's the only place you can eat, then, what can ya do? get chickens that aren't fried. get veggies. eat in moderation, don't get huge lunches, or take some w/you for later.

is on that pizza diet bodydropcris's Avatar
    bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodydropcris will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im assuming you are a chick, because you are already underweight for your height if you are a guy..

Registered User CharmanderTheGreat's Avatar
    CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000) CharmanderTheGreat is just really nice. (+1000)
    " time is not on my side"

You need to be aware some people on this forum wake up as early as 4:30 am just to get what they need to get DONE. Time isn't on anyways side. If you want it bad enough youll make it work.

patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CharmanderTheGreat View Post

You need to be aware some people on this forum wake up as early as 4:30 am just to get what they need to get DONE. Time isn't on anyways side. If you want it bad enough youll make it work.
    Well put!
    Height: 6ft
    BF% 5%
    Weight: 157 lbs.

Height: 6ft
    BF% 11%
    Weight: 179 lbs.

VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VTRunner is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Yep, I wake up at 5 to hit the gym before my classes start. No time during the day. Don't ever say you don't have time to work out. There's always time.
    B.S. Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise
    Virginia Tech 2012

M.S. Molecular Metabolism
    Virginia Tech 2014

DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DDelaurier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VTRunner View Post
    Yep, I wake up at 5 to hit the gym before my classes start. No time during the day. Don't ever say you don't have time to work out. There's always time.
    I agree! Great thread. This motivation is why I come to this site. If I ever feel lazy, looking at people getting up at 5AM just to squeeze a workout into their busy day lights a fire under my @ss for me to do the same.

Lately I've been keeping an eye on my sodium intake more than normal. It's more important than I thought and restaurants (well, in North America anyway) use a ton of salt in their menus. It was an eye opener for me.

cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    abs are made in the gym

abs are made visible in the kitchen
    Vegan

"there are ZERO conclusive and definitive peer-reviewed studies proving detrimental effects of phytoestrogens in dietary soy intake"

goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50) goldmank will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cheeseandrice View Post
    abs are made in the gym

exactly this. From recently cutting I've started to see more definition and now I know all those crunches and ab exercises weren't for nothing
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Avaric3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Foxtrot_01 View Post
    My question is, is this true? are abs made in the kitchen?
    yup, in my experience, its 100% tru. i do about 3 sets a week for my abs if that and i have a 6 pack especially when i cut. i really believe its all diet, diet, diet for abs

toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000) toneranger is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cheeseandrice View Post
    abs are made in the gym

this, but make sure your doing weighted ab work.
    100's of situps/crunches are worthless...
    ئەنسیکلۆپێدیایFlorida Gators Crewئەنسیکلۆپێدیای
      ♞♞♞ Misc Horse Head Crew ♞♞♞

CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CometMebru has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

This. You gotta get committed.

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It means that performing abodminal crunches on the kitchen counter results in a massive increase of IGF-1, HGH, and testosterone that force the fast twitch fibers to expand to enormous proportions

no, but really, diet makes the abs.
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Compound lifts help too
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000) paolo234 is just really nice. (+1000)
    quick question, how do you get your abs to be..'bigger'?
    i heard doing ab excercises, but w/ weights. like holding on to weights when doing crunches for ex.

can someone clarify?

JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JagOfTroy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The initial changes to my diet by eliminating things that I found weren't good for me is what lead to my definition showing up so well. Your diet really dictates how your going to look (from my experience), accompanied with how much time you are able to dedicate to working out with such a busy schedule.

I cut out things high in sugar, soda, and pretty much stuck to eating whole, natural foods as often as I can.

If your going to a place like Chili's due to work, just about everything on that menu is going to rock your bod so you really need to choose wisely when your stuck in such a circumstance.
    I know they have just steak though and that would be my preferable choice as anything with less additives for taste is what I like to go for.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by paolo234 View Post
    quick question, how do you get your abs to be..'bigger'?
    i heard doing ab excercises, but w/ weights. like holding on to weights when doing crunches for ex.

can someone clarify?
    1. Compound lifts help big (squats, dead lifts, bench, rows, especially)If you are doing these right, you will reallywork your core and strengthen them -->bigger (more size in abs)
    2. For isolation ab exercises (more definition)
    a. Leg lifts (weighted as you get stronger)
    b. Planks til failure
    c. Something I do is lay on a bench and hold a plate over your head. Lower the weight behind your head, keeping your elbows locked straight, and then raise it back up. Repeat, repeat repeat. Try alternating at different speeds and feel your abs tighten and tensen up.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asphalt690 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My favorite weighted exercise for abs is V-ups while holding a dumbbell between your feet.

If you go through the full range of motion with your legs and arms while keeping your abs tight... you'll understand why this is my staple exercise for abs.

robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000) robwein83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Simply put here sir....

You need to do abdominal exercises to build up the abdominal muscles. You will not see your abdominals if they are covered with fat. Your diet is what will lower your body fat levels.

tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tim sahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    diet is the key to abs

Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hellcraft will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Abs are made with resistance abdominal training. The only reason people say they are made in the kitchen is because we typically store fat around the stomach, so you have to be fairly lean to really see the abs.

Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    no you get them in the living room

srs though, that is said a lot of times because your nutrition is the most important thing that will determine your success.

Originally Posted by Murderfox View Post
    no you get them in the living room

srs though, that is said a lot of times because your nutrition is the most important thing that will determine your success.
    its obviously a combo of training and diet
    my mom's diet is spot on and she isn't shredded (not overweight in the least but no abs)
    I have also had teammates with crap diets who are ripped because of the way they work out, genetics, etc.
    Best bet is to eat well and train hard
    Founder of MMDELAD