Kapichan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Protein Before or After Workout?

I've been getting all kinds of advice about WHEN I should take my protein supplement.
    People seem to drink their protein right after working out, but some people have told me it's better to take it just before working out! They say the protein will then have time to get into your blood.
    I don't what's better, before or after, but I'd like to know.
    Also, why don't i ever se people taking protein DURING their workout?
    Great reps -> great sets -> great workouts -> great results!

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Protein during a workout is rough, it doesent go down good and is just icky usually.

You should get protein after your workout to break your catabolic state. Protein before seems like overkill IMO.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do both. Then follow up with about 8 eggs.
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kapichan View Post
    I've been getting all kinds of advice about WHEN I should take my protein supplement.
    People seem to drink their protein right after working out, but some people have told me it's better to take it just before working out! They say the protein will then have time to get into your blood.
    I don't what's better, before or after, but I'd like to know.
    Also, why don't i ever se people taking protein DURING their workout?
    Try searching, you will find alot of information on what type of protein and when to take it.

I personally take my whey protein mixed with creatine 30 minutes before a workout and then again an hour after with my first meal. I would not take protein durring a workout, because for me it would not stay down.
    Fat Man Typing

Chilled out entertainer msundi83's Avatar
    msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    protein after your workout in some form is ideal. having some kind of nutrition a while before you lift and possibly during can also be benificial. don't worry about these details too much. Just be sure you are getting enough protein everyday (1g/BW is a typical rec) and get a solid program. Don't sweat the minor details, it is the big stuff that's gonna screw with your progress.

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    well, how many times per day do you eat?

if you are eating every 3 hrs or so then obviously its "before" and "after" lol

I like to eat about an hour before I workout. Then I am pretty sure the standard advice is to have some carbs right after the workout (recovery drink perhaps) then within that 45 minutes or hour to have a meal with protein.
    "Humility comes before honor"

vickymc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vickymc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vickymc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use whey protein before my workout. Whey is assimilated very quickly and can be used as an energy source as well as as providing good ammounts of BCAA to help you through your workout. After training I take CNP pro recover which is high in simple carbs to both induce and insulin spike and also put glycogen back into the muscle. It also contains whey and antioxidants to help with repair and recovery.
    DFAC Pro Natural Bodybuilder
    www.thebodyacademy.co.uk

Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gangreen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    30 mins before and straight after ive finished.
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 157.4 lbs,159.8 lbs, 162.0 lbs, 165 lbs, 167.7 lbs (26/01/07)
    Inspiration: pu12en12g

sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sheppy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post

I like to eat about an hour before I workout. Then I am pretty sure the standard advice is to have some carbs right after the workout (recovery drink perhaps) then within that 45 minutes or hour to have a meal with protein.
    After your workout you need to get in protein and carbs, just like John said with the carbs. I lift in the morning (6 am) so I eat a nutrion bar of some sort for energy in the morning, and after morning workout is when I get my breakfast meal in with protein and carbs.

I've always heard about getting protein in after your workout, which is true, but you also need carbs for energy and not waste some of your protein.
    I've got big calves
    Adversity shows a man himself

shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shabubula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i agree, get something in ur stomach after ur workout

silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10) silv3rbull3t is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

Read up...... Great info by Alan Aragon about Pre/post workout nutrition....

amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amcorblue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You should drink oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplements pre-workout

Here are some interesting studies done that you all should look at. Basically it comes down to this:
    In the present study, the effectiveness of the drink appeared to be greater when it was consumed immediately before exercise (PRE) compared with immediately after exercise (POST). Approximately 209 ± 42 mg of phenylalanine were taken up across the leg in the PRE trial, whereas only 81 ± 19 mg of phenylalanine were taken up during POST.

MORE OVERALL PROTEIN SYNTHESIS OCCURRED WHEN THE DRINK WAS TAKEN PRE-WORKOUT

ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/281/2/E197
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11440894

I consider these reliable sources (.org and .gov, not .com) but someone correct me if this information is wrong or I understood it incorrectly

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post

haha don't you hate that. I hate when people say "I'm taking protein"

its like... um... ahem......wut?

lol its like yes "take protein" after your work out. But for the rest of the day your not allowed to eat chicken or eggs.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    didnt bother reading to responses but sorry if this is a repost
    when i was giving a **** about supps (bullking) i would do 15-20 grams of whey isolate in water with a banana like 20 min before hitting the gym, during work out, 2.5 grams bcaa and 15 g maltodexterin, imidiatly after finishing my last set 5g creatine in water, 20 min later 16 ish g whey isloate in water with 8 g worthof casinate from milk plus 50 g dextrose
    Rest in Peace Mike Oldenkamp

Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This should be in the nutrition or the supplement forum....

I'd say after workout because your body needs protein after more than before, even though you need it all around, but some carbs is good before workout for energy, and protein after, whether it's some form of food (chicken, eggs, whatever), or a protein drink, but most have a protein drink after workout.
    +Triple H Crew+

PSN tag: Reaper9106
    **PS4 brah crew**
    **Haven't went to the gym since PS4 released crew**

decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i personally think cals are more imortant neway
    but if i had to pick one or the other
    before definetly and eat after
    Rest in Peace Mike Oldenkamp

Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bobby1291 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Exactly.
    +Triple H Crew+

PSN tag: Reaper9106
    **PS4 brah crew**
    **Haven't went to the gym since PS4 released crew**

ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdCut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally, I workout after work so I eat dinner when I get home. Chill for a half hour, take a preworkout energy supp (White Flood) w/creatine. Half hour later workout. Protein shake right after workout. But, yeah what they said earlier, if you're eating every three hours you're getting protein before and after either way.

lift456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Answer

Personally, I have been wondering the same thing. I use Myoplex protein powder about 15 min-30 min after workout (depending how long it takes me to get home from the gym). I have seen it both ways though it's more of a preference I would say.

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by vickymc View Post
    I use whey protein before my workout. Whey is assimilated very quickly and can be used as an energy source
    what a waste of money. id rather eat a slice of bread.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

Splarkin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Before or after abs

Usually after i workout, i go straight into ab workouts for a good time and then take my protein shake after. Is it better to take the protein shake right after lifting and before ab workouts, or after ab workouts like normal? Just wondering I'd this would have a greater effect or sonething for building muscle.