Strikos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Carb Cylcling for Contest Prep - Questions

Stats
    Sex: male
    Height: 184cm
    Weight: 85-86kg
    BF: 10-12% (rough estimate based on previous skin folds)

I am currently getting ready for my first comp in March (currently 8 weeks out) and been dieting for 3 weeks so far

Diet:
    I am on a carbohydrate cycling diet at a 20-25% calorie deficit.
    Training days - 2376cal
    Non training days - 1780-2080cal

Mon - Moderate Carbs
    Tue - High Carbs
    Wed - Moderate Carbs
    Thurs - High Carbs
    Fri - Low Carbs
    Sat - No Carbs
    Sun - No Carbs

I have stuck to a clean diet, very disciplined and haven’t slipped on meals once, hitting my macros and calories almost exact daily.

I have the following questions which would really help me out:

- At my current calorie deficit how much cardio should I incorporate (currently doing 3-4 days per week @ 30mins fasted cardio in mornings and 20mins post workout (steady state cardio/120-130bpm))
    - My digestion (bowel movements) seems to be quite slow and I incorporate quite a lot of fibre (broccoli + spinach in most meals)
    - should I use cheat meals to stimulate my metabolism?
    - My weight hasn’t dropped yet I’m looking better in the mirror, condition looks much better (could be linked to digestion/bowel movements)

I have done plenty of research reading countless articles, I am confident that I have established a good diet plan but these few questions I am unsure of. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!!

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Strikos View Post
    Stats
    Sex: male
    Height: 184cm
    Weight: 85-86kg
    BF: 10-12% (rough estimate based on previous skin folds)

I am currently getting ready for my first comp in March (currently 8 weeks out) and been dieting for 3 weeks so far

Diet:
    I am on a carbohydrate cycling diet at a 20-25% calorie deficit.
    Training days - 2376cal
    Non training days - 1780-2080cal

Mon - Moderate Carbs
    Tue - High Carbs
    Wed - Moderate Carbs
    Thurs - High Carbs
    Fri - Low Carbs
    Sat - No Carbs
    Sun - No Carbs

I have stuck to a clean diet, very disciplined and haven’t slipped on meals once, hitting my macros and calories almost exact daily.

I have the following questions which would really help me out:

- At my current calorie deficit how much cardio should I incorporate (currently doing 3-4 days per week @ 30mins fasted cardio in mornings and 20mins post workout (steady state cardio/120-130bpm))
    - My digestion (bowel movements) seems to be quite slow and I incorporate quite a lot of fibre (broccoli + spinach in most meals)
    - should I use cheat meals to stimulate my metabolism?
    - My weight hasn’t dropped yet I’m looking better in the mirror, condition looks much better (could be linked to digestion/bowel movements)

I have done plenty of research reading countless articles, I am confident that I have established a good diet plan but these few questions I am unsure of. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!!
    I don't typically advise clients on carb cyclying, but that's not to say it can't work - just don't know what to tell you exactly. If the scale isn't going down, then you either need to lower your calories or increase your cardio. 3 or 4 days of 30 minutes at a shot isn't a ton so I would try adding 1 to 2 HIIT session per week and see how your respond.

Good luck!

Increased cardio this week and I haven't put on any fat (not that I can see) so I might be on the right track... If still not working Ill drop calories slightly.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would incorporate a refeed schedule, not a cheat. Cheat days can lead to binging. Having a planned refeed can ensure your hormonal systems allow fat loss to continue.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    I would incorporate a refeed schedule, not a cheat. Cheat days can lead to binging. Having a planned refeed can ensure your hormonal systems allow fat loss to continue.
    Thanks Paul, does the two high carb does count as the refeed meal? If not which day would you refeed?

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Strikos View Post
    Thanks Paul, does the two high carb does count as the refeed meal? If not which day would you refeed?
    The two high carb days could consitute the refeed. I would refeed either on leg day or the day before leg day depending on how quickly you process the food.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder