dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Cutting + Running

I'm trying to lose fat and at the same time want to minimize losing muscle as much as possible. Losing fat is my top priority but preserving exisitng muscle is a close second.

I like to run (not sprint or HIIT). I do all pro's beginners routine 3 days a week and I run about 5 miles per day 3-4 times a week on days I don't lift. I take BCAAs before & after my cardio (& lifing) because I read somewhere on here that is what I should do to prevent muscle catabolism when doing cardio.

Any other suggestions how I can running this much without losing muscle mass?

euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dgaughan View Post
    I'm trying to lose fat and at the same time want to minimize losing muscle as much as possible. Losing fat is my top priority but preserving exisitng muscle is a close second.

I like to run (not sprint or HIIT). I do all pro's beginners routine 3 days a week and I run about 5 miles per day 3-4 times a week on days I don't lift. I take BCAAs before & after my cardio (& lifing) because I read somewhere on here that is what I should do to prevent muscle catabolism when doing cardio.

Any other suggestions how I can running this much without losing muscle mass?
    Continue to lift heavy. I'm a runner, too, and I can tell you that the fear of muscle-loss that everyone talks about is GREATLY exaggerated. You might increase cals slightly (say maybe 300) to help replenish what you burn.
    Philadelphia Flyers

Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by euclid View Post
    Continue to lift heavy. I'm a runner, too, and I can tell you that the fear of muscle-loss that everyone talks about is GREATLY exaggerated. You might increase cals slightly (say maybe 300) to help replenish what you burn.
    YEah, it's not only Greatly Exaggerated, it's just plain wrong. There is nothing that uniquely disqualifies running as a viable cardio tool while dieting for body composition results. The issues that people develop with running are typically around 1) overuse injuries and 2) inproper energy balance. Both issues can be created with any cardio. Although, I do agree that overuse is probably more common with running. People tend to try to do too much way too quick and things like schin splints, sore knees and other mechanical issues are the result.
    "The best gift that you can give your children is to Love their Mother"

tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tjwoody is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Cape1 View Post
    YEah, it's not only Greatly Exaggerated, it's just plain wrong. There is nothing that uniquely disqualifies running as a viable cardio tool while dieting for body composition results. The issues that people develop with running are typically around 1) overuse injuries and 2) inproper energy balance. Both issues can be created with any cardio. Although, I do agree that overuse is probably more common with running. People tend to try to do too much way too quick and things like schin splints, sore knees and other mechanical issues are the result.
    this is what happened to me...so i do ints now.
    Used to be fat, now just fat with a lot of muscle.

come check out my latest log: Layne Nortons Carbon line http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169447773

4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4g64fiero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It seems like the biggest natty lean guys all do steady state in addition to hiit cardio. Its good to hear the consensus of so many successful athletes even if its against conventional wisdom. There is one thing I am confused about...that the op says he is on a decent running routine that does no hiit. Its hard for me to believe that there is no hiit in a decent running routine.

Op? whats an example of your program? I am not a runner but I have seen alot of programs that have a day a week where the runners do sprints or hills.
    Jesus wasn't a pacifist

dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    It seems like the biggest natty lean guys all do steady state in addition to hiit cardio. Its good to hear the consensus of so many successful athletes even if its against conventional wisdom. There is one thing I am confused about...that the op says he is on a decent running routine that does no hiit. Its hard for me to believe that there is no hiit in a decent running routine.

Op? whats an example of your program? I am not a runner but I have seen alot of programs that have a day a week where the runners do sprints or hills.
    I'm not sure if it's a decent running routine or not. I just get up in the morning and run 5-6 miles 4 days a week at about 6mph. It burns a bunch of calories and feels good. I'm not killing myself. It's not really a program it's just what I do to create a caloric deficit and stay in shape.

BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the dreaded "speed work" in the running routine falls under the HIIT.

so many awesome posts in here already. not going to echo whats already been posted.

if you enjoy running, keep doing it. if anything, great stress relief.