ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell flat bench press vs Dumbbell Incline bench press

what works better for gains on pecs? i read some posts that says that db inc bench gives gain than the bb flat bench and the bb flat bench gives better strength.

BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BradCathie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dunno where you heard that; the flat barbell bench press would incorporate mostly the chest whereas the further the bench inclines, the more the shoulders become involved in the exercise.
    Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168292533&p=1378041213#post1378041213
    ---
    ☢☢☢☢ Tall Guy Crew ☢☢☢☢
    ☆☆☆MISC INK CREW☆☆☆

TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TalkinDaHardest is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    flat = more overall chest.

incline = more focus on upper

most people do both, you can do bb incline / db flat btw..

Location: Misc City, BBington, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Do both.

wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TalkinDaHardest View Post
    flat = more overall chest.

incline = more focus on upper

most people do both, you can do bb incline / db flat btw..
    This is a huge myth (that you can target areas of the chest.)

There is the Pec Minor, and Pec Major.

No upper or lower.

Just vary the type of bench you do.

bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bravo96 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by wwe101 View Post

No upper or lower.

uh you can actually emphasize the upper portion of your chest.

StrengthCampSociety ICEMANLIDDELL's Avatar
    ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000) ICEMANLIDDELL is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think barbell flat will do overall chest and Incline dumbbells and incline BB for that matter both hit more upper chest.

you could do them both or if you train chest twice a week you could do BB flat one day and IC Dumbbells the other.

HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10) HiuXen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i always do both, i start my chest day with incline dumbbells for the stretch, burn and hypertrophy

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ronmie21 View Post
    what works better for gains on pecs? i read some posts that says that db inc bench gives gain than the bb flat bench and the bb flat bench gives better strength.
    With regard to strength in the powerlifting sense of the word, flat barbell bench press is the better exercise because that's what they do.

A lot of people say dumbbells are superior for mass when you're talking pressing movements but obviously this depends on the individual. In this case flat barbell bench press would probably build more mass because its flat as oppose to incline, so puts the lower chest in a stronger position. than the incline dumbbell bench press where less weight is used for this reason. But with that said...

Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    Do both.
    Disregard picking only one exercise, acquire chest like Dawes.

No upper or lower.

Originally Posted by bravo96 View Post
    uh you can actually emphasize the upper portion of your chest.
    This.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmie21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the rep guys, so if i want both my minor and major pecs i should do bb press and if i want only the upper part i'll do db incline.. is that right?

Location: Misc City, BBington, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ronmie21 View Post
    thanks for the rep guys, so if i want both my minor and major pecs i should do bb press and if i want only the upper part i'll do db incline.. is that right?
    Don't worry about the minor major thing, but what you have said is a pretty standard workout.
    Maybe throw in the odd decline press or dips as well, and it should lead to a well overall developed chest.

Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

No upper or lower.

Its not a myth. the muscle fibres in the pecs are horizontal, so you can emphasize the upper or lower. You can't emphasize the inner or outer as the fibres aren't vertical.

well, i don't think that i can put both on my workout cause im doing a full body workout, for a skinny guy who is looking forward to building lean muscle on his chest which will be better guys?

Matugi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do both. For me doing DB press helps shape both sides evenly and helps pick up slack. When I'm lifting heavy on BB press my left side tends to lag more so I use DB bench to help correct this.

Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Denger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Chestday 1: First Barbell flat, second Dumbbell Incline
    Chestday 2: First Dumbbell Incline, second Barbell flat
    and rotate this

sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sleseur93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you do incline dumbbell bench press, your chest will look ten times bigger than it would if you didn't do it. I would suggest maybe even alternating it with the incline barbell because once I started doing that, my chest really blew up. If you get your incline bench up, your flat will go up almost all the time,

so i'll just sub my flat bb bench with db incline bench every session, thanks for the info guys

crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) crosmanboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Jesus @ Dawes chest O_o

blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackshores is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been hitting the chest a lot lately....

I start out doing my max on the decline bench barbell couple sets.

Then hit incline bb bench 80% of max couple sets if possible.

Move the incline to a 45 degree on the bench and hit my 100% max again for a set or two if possible.

Then hit the flat bench barbell at max for a couple sets til failure.

This is to hit every muscle fiber possible in my pecs.

After an hour or two break to rest triceps....

I hit db incline bench

xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xbodybuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    me - i start with regular flat bench, then I change it up each chest workout start with different things. I usually do triceps so sometimes skull crushers, some weighted dips and so.

for incline, I don't do DB as I feel it mostly with the barbell. i like barebell a lot more for chest. i only hit incline at end of my workouts. always end of my workouts with a very wide grip. i feel it the most in my upper chest.