Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Pauline Nordin does 90 min cardio 6 days a week

Hi everyone

I was just watching this video of Pauline Nordin (who looks so awesome!) and she says that she has to do 90 mins of cardio per day 6 days a week to stay lean and keep from gettimg fat because she says genetically, her body wants to be fat.

Why does she think she HAS to do that much cardio? Is it possible she really does need to do that much to stay in her shape?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0pg...1&feature=plcp

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    pauline nordin maintains at 10% bodyfat year round.

what she does to keep it that way is in no way relevant to your average person.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    pauline nordin maintains at 10% bodyfat year round.

what she does to keep it that way is in no way relevant to your average person.
    10% yikes! She must think that like 20% is fat then lol )

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah. I can attest to that. I do anywhere from 14-22hrs of cardio a week and it is because I have to maintain a low BF year round. Cardio burns more calories than lifting, although it doesn't give you the body sculpting benefits. Bulk/lean cycles with good seasonal timing, gets you the body you want in time for the beach 8)

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by catskills View Post
    I do anywhere from 14-22hrs of cardio a week.
    que?
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kd7nfr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah. I can attest to that. I do anywhere from 14-22hrs of cardio a week and it is because I have to maintain a low BF year round. Cardio burns more calories than lifting, although it doesn't give you the body sculpting benefits. Bulk/lean cycles with good seasonal timing, gets you the body you want in time for the beach 8)
    Cardio burns more you say? I love broscience... That's up there with what I heard earlier today at work "Yea, I'm cycling Creatine because I'm taking a thermogenic. It's a waste since it flushes the water out of your muscles."

Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000) Armstrongha is just really nice. (+1000)
    Diet>Cardio>Weights

If you didn't know

Now you know

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Armstrongha View Post
    Diet>Cardio>Weights

If you didn't know

Now you know
    It's diet, weights, then cardio. Now you know.

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Based on my experience, yes. I burn more calories in my cardio sessions than my weight sessions.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^^ I would suggest you do some reading. There is more to it than what you burn during your actual session that gives weights the advantage in the fat loss equation.

Per Pauline Nordin, I followed her for a long time and recently stopped. I feel her view of herself isn't healthy at all. Does she really need to do that much? I don't know. But you can't deny the results. And I agree with Miranda's warning.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=17995794

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Based on my experience, yes. I burn more calories in my cardio sessions than my weight sessions.
    What do you base your findings on? Seriously, cardio gets far too much credit when it comes to fat loss. Amazingly, with all of the hunger pangs and temptation avoidance, diet doesn't get the credit it's due. Personally, I suspect it's an endorphin addiction. Fat loss is just an excuse for cardio abuse.

I am a triathlete, and generally triathletes train roughly 15hrs a week. The main reason it is so high because there are three sports involved. Right now I am doing about 16hrs with 3 hours of strength training. I use a calculator to roughly determine how many calories each activity burns based on my weight, age etc. The calculator estimates that I burn off 200cal (approx) for a weight session, but I am closer to 500 cal for a bike session. Running is high too, but I think only when doing interval training. Swimming burns less than biking or running. Who knows if the calculator is perfectly accurate. I just use it as an estimate.

I don't know about endorphin addiction...maybe that is what makes me a triathlete! LOL. But I have always been interested in sports, I used to golf and kayak a lot when I was younger, although not physically intense sports, I enjoyed them. But I started getting back problems, so I switched to triathlons for summer sports. In the winter I mostly do alpine skiing and cross country skiing, but will do some base training for triathlon through the winter as well just so its not too painful getting back out after a long winter 8)

heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by erinlee01 View Post

Per Pauline Nordin, I followed her for a long time and recently stopped. I feel her view of herself isn't healthy at all. Does she really need to do that much? I don't know. But you can't deny the results. And I agree with Miranda's warning.
    I agree, I don't think she is healthy at all. She is at a bodyfat level that is nearly impossible to reach, let alone maintain year-round, so I don't doubt she would have to resort to drastic measures to keep it that way. Not the way I want to live to be honest, I would rather be able to enjoy life (and food!) than look that way.

It is possible to be very lean and look fantastic while eating everything in moderation, lifting, and doing moderate amts of (if any) cardio. However, Pauline Nordin shreddedness is a whole different story and moderation won't get you there, you pretty much have to be anal about everything and IMO, that isn't something to strive for. It interferes with living a normal life and is disordered on many levels.
    Last edited by heidismommy; 05-02-2012 at 06:05 AM.
    On a mini-cut, then onto maintenance mode for the summer.

erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erinlee01 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am a triathlete, and generally triathletes train roughly 15hrs a week. The main reason it is so high because there are three sports involved. Right now I am doing about 16hrs with 3 hours of strength training. I use a calculator to roughly determine how many calories each activity burns based on my weight, age etc. The calculator estimates that I burn off 200cal (approx) for a weight session, but I am closer to 500 cal for a bike session. Running is high too, but I think only when doing interval training. Swimming burns less than biking or running. Who knows if the calculator is perfectly accurate. I just use it as an estimate.

I don't know about endorphin addiction...maybe that is what makes me a triathlete! LOL. But I have always been interested in sports, I used to golf and kayak a lot when I was younger, although not physically intense sports, I enjoyed them. But I started getting back problems, so I switched to triathlons for summer sports. In the winter I mostly do alpine skiing and cross country skiing, but will do some base training for triathlon through the winter as well just so its not too painful getting back out after a long winter 8)
    This changes your whole answer. You can't make a blanket statement that cardio burns more than fat because you have a different focus than much here.

In your case, cardio is the focus. You probably don't go hammer legs right before doing a bike or run workout. Your priority is the training for a sport and weight training is done as a supplement.

Most here have the workout as a focus. The higher effort is put into the weight training session and the cardio, if done, is a supplement.

I'm also guessing (based on the triathletes I know), that your cardio sessions are not like what most people do for cardio.

Originally Posted by erinlee01 View Post
    This changes your whole answer. You can't make a blanket statement that cardio burns more than fat because you have a different focus than much here.

In your case, cardio is the focus. You probably don't go hammer legs right before doing a bike or run workout. Your priority is the training for a sport and weight training is done as a supplement.

Most here have the workout as a focus. The higher effort is put into the weight training session and the cardio, if done, is a supplement.

I'm also guessing (based on the triathletes I know), that your cardio sessions are not like what most people do for cardio.
    There's also a huge difference between training for a triathlon and jumping on a cardio machine for 90 minutes. Huge difference.

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by euco09 View Post
    Hi everyone

I was just watching this video of Pauline Nordin (who looks so awesome!) and she says that she has to do 90 mins of cardio per day 6 days a week to stay lean and keep from gettimg fat because she says genetically, her body wants to be fat.

Why does she think she HAS to do that much cardio? Is it possible she really does need to do that much to stay in her shape?
    pauline is so f-ed up physically, mentally, and behaviorally, and you shouldn't strive to be like her in any way. but as for her cardio, it's probably a messing up correlation/causation thing. she is wicked lean and does a ton of cardio, ergo she thinks the cardio is the (or one of the) keys. that she'll balloon up w/o it. a necessity. she's also just totally extreme abt all things diet and exercise related.

I didn't actually say that cardio burns more calories than lifting. I said for me it does. It depends what you are doing. I am usually exhausted after my cardio sessions. For my strength training, it is different. I lift very light weights with high reps and I only do 2 hours a week of that. I have seen what other woman are doing in the gym, their routine looks a lot different than mine. The reverse is also true, when I am doing run training, I am usually doing sprints at the track, which is different than running on the treadmill for 40min at a constant intensity.

I actually did say in my first post that weight lifting is better because it has the advantages of sculpting the body as well as burning calories. I wasn't recommending that the OPer switch to doing hours of cardio, which probably wouldn't get them closer to their goals.

I didn't actually say that cardio burns more calories than lifting. I said for me it does. It depends what you are doing. I am usually exhausted after my cardio sessions. For my strength training, it is different. I lift very light weights with high reps and I only do 2 hours a week of that. I have seen what other woman are doing in the gym, their routine looks a lot different than mine. The reverse is also true, when I am doing run training, I am usually doing sprints at the track, which is different than running on the treadmill for 40min at a constant intensity.

I actually did say in my first post that weight lifting is better because it has the advantages of sculpting the body as well as burning calories. I wasn't recommending that the OPer switch to doing hours of cardio, which probably wouldn't get them closer to their goals.
    You have to be careful around these parts. Too many women are doing way too much cardio. In many cases it's hurting their fat loss/muscle gain efforts. A lot of people with ED's are here too and cardio is a tool of choice. Or brainwashing. Anyone doing 90 minutes of cardio 6x week better be training for something.

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    There's also a huge difference between training for a triathlon and jumping on a cardio machine for 90 minutes. Huge difference.
    Absolutely!

I do realize you said that it does for you and that you recommended weight training. But you threw out a number of hours that you do cardio without qualifying that you are training for a sport. As Freebirdmac said, there are a lot of people who are already doing too much cardio. And some of them would up what they are doing if they see you (or anyone) claiming a large number of cardio hours and claiming it keeps you lean. You'd be surprised what information people focus on in a post!

@erin. Yes, that would be a very bad idea. I see a lot of people (women) at the gym, same people everyday, putting hours of time on ellipticals and spinning bikes and never moving to the weights, who look like skeletons. I don't know what type of diet they have or what type of body they want, but it seems for some people hours of cardio does nothing to sculpt the body. The first time I ever spent money on a gym membership I did weights only with no cardio. I put on great muscle mass, but I wish someone had told me I had to correct my diet to get the fat off, so you could actually see the muscle...LOL.

cardio is a tool of choice.
    Why is cardio a tool of choice? I am curious about that bc I know a couple of people that might apply to.

(BTW thanks, I didn't mean to be an advocate of many hours of cardio.)

Why is cardio a tool of choice? I am curious about that bc I know a couple of people that might apply to.

When you hear or read anything about fat loss, what do they point to? Cardio. You rarely hear anything about lifting weights. And if you do it's kind of as if you can push a few things once in awhile. Society is brainwashed. And those who do lose weight do so because they reduced calories but they extoll how cardio is responsible. I was serious about the endorphins too. People get hooked. Even if it's detrimental to their goals.

Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000) Echo814 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Someone with an ED will often use cardio in addition to starving or binging and purging. For some bulimics cardio or exercise can be their way of purging instead of vomiting.
    If this were easy, everyone would walk around ripped.

I like eating, it helps with the not dying.

Journal: Back in Black
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120569281

When you hear or read anything about fat loss, what do they point to? Cardio. You rarely hear anything about lifting weights. And if you do it's kind of as if you can push a few things once in awhile. Society is brainwashed. And those who do lose weight do so because they reduced calories but they extoll how cardio is responsible. I was serious about the endorphins too. People get hooked. Even if it's detrimental to their goals.
    I know this is probably thread-jacking, but curious about something I read once. I read somewhere that a lot of anorexics mistake lean body mass (the muscle underneath the fat) as part of fat mass. It is part of the reason they think they are fat. In other words they see wide legs (muscle + fat) and think that it is all fat. So they keep trying to lose and lose, until eventually all the lean body mass is gone along with the fat. Do you think there is any truth to this?

I read somewhere that a lot of anorexics mistake lean body mass (the muscle underneath the fat) as part of fat mass. It is part of the reason they think they are fat. In other words they see wide legs (muscle + fat) and think that it is all fat. So they keep trying to lose and lose, until eventually all the lean body mass is gone along with the fat. Do you think there is any truth to this?
    anorexia nervosa is a mental disorder accompanied by distorted body image and a lot of other things. it's not as simple as not understanding body composition.

I know this is probably thread-jacking, but curious about something I read once. I read somewhere that a lot of anorexics mistake lean body mass (the muscle underneath the fat) as part of fat mass. It is part of the reason they think they are fat. In other words they see wide legs (muscle + fat) and think that it is all fat. So they keep trying to lose and lose, until eventually all the lean body mass is gone along with the fat. Do you think there is any truth to this?
    They don't see reality. Ever see that cartoon where a woman looks at herself in the mirror and sees an exaggerated fatter version of herself while a man looks at himself and sees all muscle? Not to make a joke, but body dysmorphia can be so severe that all an anorexic sees is an over weight person. They literally cannot see what is reflected by the mirror.

jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com nacersusaf's Avatar
    nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    While I too admire Pauline Nordin's physique, I also admire Ben and Jerry, and I'd like to visit them from time to time. IMO, Pauline probably has a pretty severe case of orthorexia. If she really enjoys doing that much cardio and eating pounds of veggies each day, more power to her! I just know that I love to go out for dinner and drinks with my loved ones and enjoy all things in moderation.

I stay pretty lean, and it does take a lot of effort (I won't pretend that it doesn't) but not to the point where it interferes with my life and enjoying it. Again, I'm not assuming that that Pauline doesn't enjoy 90 minutes of cardio a day, but if you don't it's probably not worth it.
    Owner, JS Fitness Solutions
    www.jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com

Magnum Nutraceuticals Athlete
    hardmagnum.com

hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000)
    IMO Pauline has some mental issues and she thinks she HAS to do plenty of things.
    Love others well, but love thyself the most

But there are so many women out there that seem to think they are fat. That is what I am struggling to understand. Just the other day my coach told me that another woman he trains, not only does she think she is fat, it is so bad that she won't even weigh herself. This is a woman who I aspire to "be like." Not only is she a superstar triathlete, but has a great body and is really fit. She almost looks like and "is" a professional athlete. It just surprises me so that someone like that could think they are fat.

jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com nacersusaf's Avatar
    nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    But there are so many women out there that seem to think they are fat. That is what I am struggling to understand. Just the other day my coach told me that another woman he trains, not only does she think she is fat, it is so bad that she won't even weigh herself. This is a woman who I aspire to "be like." Not only is she a superstar triathlete, but has a great body and is really fit. She almost looks like and "is" a professional athlete. It just surprises me so that someone like that could think they are fat.
    Maybe she's comparing herself to Pauline Nordin...
    Owner, JS Fitness Solutions
    www.jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com

Magnum Nutraceuticals Athlete
    hardmagnum.com