Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by endpoint View Post
    Do you push Diet and supplements (creatine etc)?

I am interested in other athletes at your gym. Pat is a freak.

Do you have a record board of the other lifters posted anywhere?
    I only make sure that they stay in their weight classes. I weigh every lifter every day.

I don't have a board posted, except for the dry erase one on the wall. Our youtube page (brozknows) has a lot of good lifts that were pretty close to PR's at the time taken.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do you offer any camps or clinics in summer? I live a few hours from las vegas and would like to stop by for a clinic learn a lot about your training and how you coach the lifts in person.

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey, John, it's great to see you posting here. I was just gonna message you on ******** on how to organize training now to make that transition to training with you guys in the Fall much easier.

Originally Posted by BrozKnows View Post
    ...When the bar passes 160kg the bar whip begins to play a significant factor in the success of the lift. Learning how to dip quickly and maximize the oscillation is the only way to be a great jerker...
    Read in one of these books that there's a way to put the weights further from the collar to work specifically on oscillation of the bar at a certain weight using lighter weights. Don't know if it would fit in to your style of training, but I imagine if your lifter was having a bad day and still wanted to work on bar whip so it feels like higher weights, it could be possible.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

delicious dogg crapp buddymander's Avatar
    buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Max squats everyday, max deadlifts 2-3x/year
    Why max on deadlifts only 2-3x a year?
    my body is an army and my minds a general. I keep the body in shape and it does what I tell it to do. An army needs discipline, just like a man does. Herschel Walker

inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000) inb4 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by buddymander View Post
    I imagine as clean & jerks... etc are much more important

adogruzza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello Coach,

I'm a young Powerlifting (IPF) trainer.

The best thing I've ever done is to understand that i had to learn from olympic weightlifting coach.
    So I've understood how is important to do many sets, as fast as lifter can, in a PERFERCT TECHNIQUE, in order to have the best motor unit activation. Also in powerlifting. No doping, no crying, that's why eastern country dominate. Thousend of sets with medium weight, perfect as a machine. Less bodybuilding bull**** better is.

Question:
    (if you like to answer)

1)Your training method is for high level athlet. You need perfect training techinque. Doing always such a high intensity work, doest risk to waste their tech in long period?

2) Do you think that 4 days a week is too few to use bulgarian training style, to reach an adaptation to workload?

3) I've always thought that Bulgarian method could be the key also in powerlifting. But, by now, no one try it (no one, i mean, world class (IPF, many of other fed are cicus) lifters). Dont you think that max every day in squat and deadlift is too taxing for CNS and very different as effort than Snach and Clean?

4) You would suggest Bulgarian training for every type of genetically gifted (I'm not english motherlanguage) lifters?

5) i train many young lifters. Many of them have not reach their bodystructure yet (weight class). Do you think that with B.trainig could be good also for them, or i must them made more high repetition work (high repetition = 4 to 5).

Many questions, bad english.
    Thank you, I appreciate your "powerfull" way to do. American weightraining needs that.

ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZachOly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey John,

Any reason why your lifters wear straps? Do they use them for cleans?

BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by someonefat View Post
    Do you offer any camps or clinics in summer? I live a few hours from las vegas and would like to stop by for a clinic learn a lot about your training and how you coach the lifts in person.
    anytime you are in town, just swing by. we are always there

Body positions are CRUCIAL to weightlifting success. max deads force you to pull shoulders back too early, round your back, and lose the proper positions needed for the second pull in the lifts. This will only push progress back along with the simple fact that slow movements do not help any athlete in any sport. "The fastest athlete is the greatest athlete"

When we max in the DL, it's only for my curiosity to gauge other lifts from and to see when positions start to break down.

Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post
    Hey, John, it's great to see you posting here. I was just gonna message you on ******** on how to organize training now to make that transition to training with you guys in the Fall much easier.

Read in one of these books that there's a way to put the weights further from the collar to work specifically on oscillation of the bar at a certain weight using lighter weights. Don't know if it would fit in to your style of training, but I imagine if your lifter was having a bad day and still wanted to work on bar whip so it feels like higher weights, it could be possible.
    When they have meets that they move the weights out further on the bar is when I will probably try this. look forward to you coming here!

Originally Posted by AccuFlex View Post
    Hey John,

Any reason why your lifters wear straps? Do they use them for cleans?
    Using straps in the snatch is a MUST! There is no way your hands can endure the abuse put on them from snatching over and over daily.

In the cleans we NEVER use them.

Ask Zach Krych about that! He is an US lifter who is very talented but had a bonehead coach that let him do P.Cleans with straps. He lost his balance on one attempt, fell back and hit both elbows on the platform breaking both wrists. Now, about a year later, he is finally able to clean about 50-60% of what he was doing, but still can't snatch. That could be a career ending amount of time to lose. 2 yrs to get back to where you were and the time lost that should have been spent improving. one stupid mistake is about a 4 yr difference. That is 1 olympics...GONE!

Originally Posted by adogruzza View Post
    Hello Coach,

I'm a young Powerlifting (IPF) trainer.

The best thing I've ever done is to understand that i had to learn from olympic weightlifting coach.
    So I've understood how is important to do many sets, as fast as lifter can, in a PERFERCT TECHNIQUE, in order to have the best motor unit activation. Also in powerlifting. No doping, no crying, that's why eastern country dominate. Thousend of sets with medium weight, perfect as a machine. Less bodybuilding bull**** better is.

Question:
    (if you like to answer)

1)Your training method is for high level athlet. You need perfect training techinque. Doing always such a high intensity work, doest risk to waste their tech in long period?

2) Do you think that 4 days a week is too few to use bulgarian training style, to reach an adaptation to workload?

3) I've always thought that Bulgarian method could be the key also in powerlifting. But, by now, no one try it (no one, i mean, world class (IPF, many of other fed are cicus) lifters). Dont you think that max every day in squat and deadlift is too taxing for CNS and very different as effort than Snach and Clean?

4) You would suggest Bulgarian training for every type of genetically gifted (I'm not english motherlanguage) lifters?

5) i train many young lifters. Many of them have not reach their bodystructure yet (weight class). Do you think that with B.trainig could be good also for them, or i must them made more high repetition work (high repetition = 4 to 5).

Many questions, bad english.
    Thank you, I appreciate your "powerfull" way to do. American weightraining needs that.
    1) I am constantly watching the lifts, making corrections all the time. It is like a constant work in progress. Most high level lifters (even multi Olympic Champions) still have their coach watch them lift for technique and efficiency.

2)4x/wk is not too little if you are doing 2x/wk now. eventually 4days will not stimulate the body enough

3)Max in the Squat is necessary, but max DL is bad. The lower back gets taxed too much with this lift and takes too long to recover. It is more of a single joint exercise then the squat. I prefer 70-85% Fast pulls for 2-3reps to build DL power. Neither of these taxes the CNS even close to what the SN and C/J do.

4) I personally believe that this type of training works for all lifters. Although whoever has the most desire will be the one with all the success.

5) this is very tricky. If they are young (under or around 17 - again this depends on how early they started training) then I would have them doing other assistance things based on their body structure and making sure that they develop in a safe, sound, healthy, strong base core. During which I teach the lifts with perfect technique for reps - no daily maxes- only weekly or even monthly depending on how they look structurally. If they are older and done growing but just small for their structure, then I mix the heavy lifts with some basic traditional body building exercises to supplement.

ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question

John, what's the biggest oly style squat (no belt or wraps) you've ever heard of? I've never seen a video of anyone doing more than Pat Mendes' 350kg in this style.

Thank's coach, every reply makes sense! I dont want to ask too much but:

you'll suggest something like that:

day 1. squat to max (best weight at perfect competiotion technique) + back off sets
    bench press with pause to max (comp. rules technique) + beck off sets
    no assistence

day 2. deadlift 80% x 2 x 6 set (or something like that)
    pressing assistence repetitions 3 to 5 x 3 to 5 sets

day 3. like day one

day 4. deadlift from different heights x 3 x 5 sets
    bench press to heavy but not max single.

or like that:

day 1,2,3,4 squat to max
    bench press to max
    deadlift 2 x 6 sets (or so)

gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    will you be my coach

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gewaltiger View Post
    will you be my coach
    When you get back from your 7 month camel adventure:

1. Go to UNLV or find a job in Vegas.
    2. Train at Broz gym.
    3. Bulgarian training (plus Antonio Krastev's hair grease concentrate)
    4. World records.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gewaltiger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    my wife wont live in las vegas

Originally Posted by ukstrongman View Post
    John, what's the biggest oly style squat (no belt or wraps) you've ever heard of? I've never seen a video of anyone doing more than Pat Mendes' 350kg in this style.
    My coach, Antonio Krastev did 360 wearing rehband type knee sleves, I have also heard of a few other weightlifters doing mid 3's. Pat and I have discussed this and think that when he does 370x10 it will be a feat unmatched before.

Originally Posted by adogruzza View Post
    Thank's coach, every reply makes sense! I dont want to ask too much but:

you'll suggest something like that:

day 1. squat to max (best weight at perfect competiotion technique) + back off sets
    bench press with pause to max (comp. rules technique) + beck off sets
    no assistence

day 2. deadlift 80% x 2 x 6 set (or something like that)
    pressing assistence repetitions 3 to 5 x 3 to 5 sets

day 3. like day one

day 4. deadlift from different heights x 3 x 5 sets
    bench press to heavy but not max single.

or like that:

day 1,2,3,4 squat to max
    bench press to max
    deadlift 2 x 6 sets (or so)
    day 1,2,3,4,5,6: squat to max (best weight at perfect competiotion technique) + back off sets of minimum 3x2, upto max of 50 reps. going back upto max or beyond if the weights start to feel light enough

day 1,3,5 bench press to max (2 wide,1 close grip)+ back off sets (quantity will need some experiment because I have not tried with bench in over 10 yrs)

day 2,4,6 deadlift 2-3 x 10 sets all from floor. vary % based on positions and back health

If you are gonna train 4x/wk then day 5&6 will be in the next week.

any assistance rehab/bodybuilding such as pullups, dumbell flyes etc should follow at the end as well as grip work based on how you feel. These are optional and should be done at discresion

Most importantly- speed is ALWAYS the priority! When squatting and pulling getting up fast is soooo important, as well as the bench. Doing the press quickly to generate power is key too. going slow with light weights is a big NO NO!!
    Last edited by BrozKnows; 12-30-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks coach,
    very clear.
    Agree at 100%= speed / power is the key. Nice to read from an high level coach. Happy new year.

ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

My coach, Antonio Krastev did 360 wearing rehband type knee sleves, I have also heard of a few other weightlifters doing mid 3's. Pat and I have discussed this and think that when he does 370x10 it will be a feat unmatched before.
    Thanks! Your coach was a monster then! I definitely haven't heard of anyone doing 370x10 regardless of equipment used.

GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GodsAngina is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Do the quick lifts make you more explosive in your opinion, or do explosive people make the best olympic lifters?

delicious dogg crapp buddymander's Avatar
    buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddymander will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do you have your guys do any type of good mornings at all?
    my body is an army and my minds a general. I keep the body in shape and it does what I tell it to do. An army needs discipline, just like a man does. Herschel Walker

Originally Posted by GodsVagina View Post
    Do the quick lifts make you more explosive in your opinion, or do explosive people make the best olympic lifters?
    I think both. IF you are extremely explosive it can only be a benefit to being a great lifter, however we have checked vertical abilities before and after 1 yr of training of only doing the lifts and everyone made substantial progress in jumping abilities.

Do you have your guys do any type of good mornings at all?
    Good mornings, NO. Occasionally for stretching, rehab or warmups we do hypers because I got a hyper machine donated to me, but would never have bought one.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    do you believe the story of Alexander Kurlovich doing 400kg?
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

James_h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hope you have time for a few more questions.

So John about the "dark times" what should one do? Just wait it out? Don't deload and work your way back up but to wait it out?

Standard 5x5 training (hopefully you know what I'm talking about) such as glenn pendlay and mark rippetoe's ie (squat 5x5 monday and friday with front squats on wednesday working up to a pr over a 2-4 week period deload intensify for 2-4 weeks and repeat and thats for the advanced trainies) how is it you can use far more volume and intensity 7 days a week and not overtrain. But of course you already stated overtraining is not real. So all this time when we have been missing reps and the weight is stale, we should be lifting more frequently and waiting through the darkness instead of deloading and working our way back up?

If I understand this type of training correctly, it seems almost as if you would train with weights much like you would any other sport. High intesity, lots of volume, and every day. Whether you are a weightlifter or a powerlifter the principle is the same.

James_h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

So John about the "dark times" what should one do? Just wait it out? Don't deload and work your way back up but to wait it out?

Standard 5x5 training (hopefully you know what I'm talking about) such as glenn pendlay and mark rippetoe's ie (squat 5x5 monday and friday with front squats on wednesday working up to a pr over a 2-4 week period deload intensify for 2-4 weeks and repeat and thats for the advanced trainies) how is it you can use far more volume and intensity 7 days a week and not overtrain. But of course you already stated overtraining is not real. So all this time when we have been missing reps and the weight is stale, we should be lifting more frequently and waiting through the darkness instead of deloading and working our way back up?

If I understand this type of training correctly, it seems almost as if you would train with weights much like you would any other sport. High intesity, lots of volume, and every day. Whether you are a weightlifter or a powerlifter the principle is the same.

So when you said

"back off sets of minimum 3x2, upto max of 50 reps. going back upto max or beyond if the weights start to feel light enough"

You ment 50 reps in a single session? Like 5x10? How do you gauge volume for the week? And what about the low bar back squat can you train it 6 day a week without it being too stressful on your back?
    Last edited by James_h; 01-02-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Originally Posted by James_h View Post

Yes. To quote Krastev "the day will never come that you wont be able to squat the bar"

So all this time when we have been missing reps and the weight is stale, we should be lifting more frequently and waiting through the darkness instead of deloading and working our way back up?
    Again, Yes.

YES
    So when you said

"back off sets of minimum 3x2, upto max of 50 reps. going back upto max or beyond if the weights start to feel light enough"

You ment 50 reps in a single session? Like 5x10?.
    Yes on the reps, the sets would be 3-10 sets of dubs or trips

And what about the low bar back squat can you train it 6 day a week without it being too stressful on your back?
    Not sure, never did them but I would assume 6/wk would be ok. The polish and greek team were going to max BS 17x/wk.

Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    do you believe the story of Alexander Kurlovich doing 400kg?
    Funny you should ask that. I was training tonight and was watching a training hall video where Kurlovitch was doing an easy easy easy 270x3 bs. I have no doubt he could have done 400. Especially when I calculated his power output on his 260 clean. He generates so much power it would almost be impossible for him not to be able to do a SRM with 4 bills.