Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Mistakes in my 20's years in the gym

There have been many mistakes I have made through the years while trying to build muscle. I thought I would list my top 5 and share what that means.

5. Listened to the muscle magazines with regards to protein intake from bodybuilders
    -never try to copy someone else's diet, learn what your body needs based on research and apply it
    4. Listened to the muscle magazines with regards to training programs
    -after years of getting frustrated with different programs which became stale I finally started looking into other options. Doing the same routine as the Pro's is not a recipe for success
    3. Compared myself to my idols
    -we all have individual genetic predispositions, muscle insertions, adaptability to training, structure's and morals. Be the best "you" possible and you will always be successful.
    2. Counted on Supplements too much
    - There were times when my diet and training were less than optimal and yet I expected great things because I found the latest supplement. Nothing replaces sound nutrition and training.
    1. I didn't track my diet properly
    -Nutrition is the single biggest factor in taking a trained athlete's physique from average to exceptional. I only wish I had taken this approach in my early years.

With all that said, all the mistakes I have made through the years there is something positive that has come of it. I kept pushing. I stayed in the gym even when i wasn't improving. One thing that I have learned about myself is that I love this adventure and no matter what I will always take part in strength and physique sports. After 20 years of lifting I finally feel like I am starting to get a grasp of the big picture and making gains consistently is no longer dumb luck or beginners gains.

Here is a little picture history to go along with it.

When I began lifting. 16 years old. 150lbs

Few years later, about 190lbs. Lifting more but baseball was priority.

Dreamer Bulk before prep. Red Solo beer cup and all. 240lbs. 2007.

Before and after first contest Prep. 2008

Second Contest season 2009

Third Contest season, 2012

I have come a long way over the years and I still feel I am improving. I plan to spend the next two years eating, lifting and doing everything optimally to ensure that progress is made. Just stick with it, even mistakes can be turned into something positive.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, this is inspirational. Well done. Keep it up. mini-repped.

How old are you, do you mind if I ask?

I like those striations in the chest, and I like the bulging out of the hams. Nice, man.
    "You can always be thinner... look better"
    Patrick Bateman

ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ksrcrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    hes 36

fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JohnRainbo View Post
    Yes, this is inspirational. Well done. Keep it up. mini-repped.

How old are you, do you mind if I ask?

I like those striations in the chest, and I like the bulging out of the hams. Nice, man.
    Thanks for that...I am 37, since October 25th.

Originally Posted by ksrcrider View Post
    hes 36
    Just turned 37, damnit, lol.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Buckley50 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Natty?

Pls say yes.

Worlds slowest cut-ter SilvaMan61's Avatar
    SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Micro repped.

Pretty inspiring. Your strait ions are insane. And 20 years of trial and error is a long time, it's amazing that you stuck with it.
    "The hardship of the exercises is intended less to strengthen the back than to toughen the mind. The Spartans say that any army may win while it still has it's legs under it; the real test comes when all strength has fled and the men must produce victory on will alone." (Pressfield,1998, p.78)

OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50) OkashiiKen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the advice and very inspirational - looking ripped. Repped.

Originally Posted by Buckley50 View Post
    Natty?

Pls say yes.
    Lifetime, yes.

Originally Posted by SilvaMan61 View Post
    Micro repped.

Pretty inspiring. Your strait ions are insane. And 20 years of trial and error is a long time, it's amazing that you stuck with it.
    It's a long time but honestly when i miss days or weeks I just miss it badly so I have learned to embrace my passion.

Originally Posted by OkashiiKen View Post
    Thanks for the advice and very inspirational - looking ripped. Repped.
    Thank you.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You still looked pretty good at 240 after your dreamer bulk, but shredded in 20120 you look just awesome --- great muscularity, balance and definition
    What weight were you in the last pic?
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    You still looked pretty good at 240 after your dreamer bulk, but shredded in 20120 you look just awesome --- great muscularity, balance and definition
    What weight were you in the last pic?
    195 in the last pic. Thank you. Only when you get really lean to you truly realize how much extra fat you carry.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks fltallpaul,

I think the best knowledge is acquired through experience especially when its combined with sound science. I myself am a Physiologist and read many articles on the science of bodybuilding, but like you the most valuable knowledge that I can use in the gym comes from my personal experience.

fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) fruktsoda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...941081&page=34

do you ever come in to respond? lol

Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What on earth did you do to drop that BF from your "dreamer bulk" if I can ask? I am not quite that bit, but I carry a pretty good muscle mass but have a somewhat similar sort of bulk as in that picture. I really struggle to get my BF down without "weeding" out muscle a huge amount.

Repped.
    Go big or go home!

RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RedJune has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by m6305 View Post
    Thanks fltallpaul,

I think the best knowledge is acquired through experience especially when its combined with sound science. I myself am a Physiologist and read many articles on the science of bodybuilding, but like you the most valuable knowledge that I can use in the gym comes from my personal experience.
    This

Originally Posted by m6305 View Post
    Thanks fltallpaul,

Yes the best progress i have ever made has been since I learned to apply sound principles to what I know to be true of myself.

Originally Posted by fruktsoda View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...941081&page=34

do you ever come in to respond? lol
    I have not, should I?

Originally Posted by Coke_Zero View Post
    What on earth did you do to drop that BF from your "dreamer bulk" if I can ask? I am not quite that bit, but I carry a pretty good muscle mass but have a somewhat similar sort of bulk as in that picture. I really struggle to get my BF down without "weeding" out muscle a huge amount.

Repped.
    Getting body fat down from that point was all about the long slow process of contest prep. I lost 1-2lbs a week over the course of 20 weeks or so that first time. It's really difficult to lose that slowly and still live a compeletly normal life. You need to track your food with a food scale. You need to do cardio so that you are not losing muscle but enough that you keep fat burning progressing. Once you get lean there are issues with hormones that come in to play so you need a strategy for that period as well. Refeeds become very important toward the end and I had a great coach teaching me how to accomplish my goals. Most important you need to stick with it. There are days that suck, but the big picture must be apparent.

Originally Posted by RedJune View Post
    This
    Thanks.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrongTower7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Man u looked great at 240 I thought, how tall?
    Also great advice for cutting. Very insparational.

Originally Posted by StrongTower7 View Post
    Man u looked great at 240 I thought, how tall?
    Also great advice for cutting. Very insparational.
    I am 6'3. 240 is deceiving as I hold much of my fat in my lower back\glutes area. Personally I think 235 is about the most i can carry without looking sloppy right now. Here is a shot at 235.

Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hien713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    mirin mang..one day...

Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mk2fly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pretty inspirational.

Incredible work ethic.

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dat definition.

TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TonyTriangles has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Body of the gods

i too have fallen victim to training and diet advice from those magazines and ended up just hurting myself from overtraining and wasting money on **** supps.

MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeyH83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TonyTriangles View Post
    Body of the gods

i too have fallen victim to training and diet advice from those magazines and ended up just hurting myself from overtraining and wasting money on **** supps.
    lol same here... That's why I decided to train with Paul starting next year.

Aspartame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, your shoulders look like they blew up from 2007 to 2008. Wish I was getting the results you have achieved!

Originally Posted by hien713 View Post
    mirin mang..one day...
    You will get there!

Originally Posted by Mk2fly View Post
    Pretty inspirational.

Incredible work ethic.
    Pretty stubborn lol.

Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
    dat definition.
    Thanks Jason.

Originally Posted by TonyTriangles View Post
    Body of the gods

The lessons we learn are valuable though...you have not quit and that says something.

Originally Posted by MikeyH83 View Post
    lol same here... That's why I decided to train with Paul starting next year.
    Yeah big things ahead!

Originally Posted by Aspartame View Post
    Wow, your shoulders look like they blew up from 2007 to 2008. Wish I was getting the results you have achieved!
    Keep putting in the time and effort and it will happen. Thank you as well.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000) corvade is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm nearly 17.

How can I track my diet? I really want an "exceptional" physique. I don't have a smart phone.

Originally Posted by corvade View Post
    I'm nearly 17.

How can I track my diet? I really want an "exceptional" physique. I don't have a smart phone.
    You can use a notebook and write it down, like a journal. You can also use the internet since you are posting here. Check out some of the free food journal websites. I like www.fitday.com.

If you have more questions on how to hit your numbers or just general questions email me Paul@ProPhysique.com
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smaxor has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    outstanding work, very motivational !

jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbragg10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by smaxor View Post
    outstanding work, very motivational !

What is your routine (since you said you didn't copy any of the pro's)?

BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoringWesley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great post!

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Awesome Job! Looking lean and mean... and I know the feeling after 24 years of training myself, especially with no internet in the beginning years...

Much respect!
    **PUREBLOOD FOR LIFE CREW**
    -- A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**