GrecoWrestler-Kickboxing MastaM's Avatar
    MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Pull Ups - Shoulder Hurts?

I just recently implemented wide grip pull ups (gripping on to the farthest point on the bars where they start to curve) to my routine. Traditionally, I use to do pull ups shoulder width with no problems at all. However, these wide grip pullups have given my front right deltoid extreme strain after doing a few sets of 5. Just was wondering if anybody else has this problem or thinks this is unusual. Any advice is great. Thank you all in advance.

MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would also like to know how to ease the pain. Thank you all.

Location: Peterborough, Cambs, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do sometimes, and on Lat Pulldowns, don't know why though =/
    New Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172793681
    Old Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146063343

paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how much weight can you do on the lat-pull down without pain?

Location: Peterborough, Cambs, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Patrick999 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by paul0616 View Post
    how much weight can you do on the lat-pull down without pain?
    if you mean me, I dunno, 70kg anymore it's a bit iffy.
    New Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172793681
    Old Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146063343

Im doing pull ups, not pulldowns...can anybody help me out? I was doing bodyweight, now my front deltoid hurts and its been a day.

ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000) ozzybob is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MastaM View Post
    I just recently implemented wide grip pull ups (gripping on to the farthest point on the bars where they start to curve) to my routine. Traditionally, I use to do pull ups shoulder width with no problems at all. However, these wide grip pullups have given my front right deltoid extreme strain after doing a few sets of 5. Just was wondering if anybody else has this problem or thinks this is unusual. Any advice is great. Thank you all in advance.
    I would say you are not strong enough to execute the lift properly and are trying to compensate the lift by using more bi's.
    Easiest way to spot that is if your elbows are not parallel to your body.
    Make sure you hang nice and straight and pull up with your elbows flat with your body and shoulder problem will disappear.
    I have the same twinge with heavy pulldowns if I burn out.
    You may also be going to wide and over stretching your delts. Tuck it in a little until the pain stops.
    Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

"Bodybuilding is fifty percent diet, and sixty percent training. Yes, that adds up to 110%. Because that's what you should be giving it." DJauto

Workout journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=58637081#post58637081

Originally Posted by ozzybob View Post
    I would say you are not strong enough to execute the lift properly and are trying to compensate the lift by using more bi's.
    Easiest way to spot that is if your elbows are not parallel to your body.
    Make sure you hang nice and straight and pull up with your elbows flat with your body and shoulder problem will disappear.
    I have the same twinge with heavy pulldowns if I burn out.
    You may also be going to wide and over stretching your delts. Tuck it in a little until the pain stops.
    Thanks for the help man, repped. Yeah I think it may be caused by my height as well (5'5) as I don't have a far enough reach to do the exercise properly. Does anybody know if this is a rotator cuff related strain and can be permanent or just a temporary shoulder pain? I'm kind of worried right now. Thank you.

Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500) Tom F is not very helpful. (-500)
    Wide grip pull ups are extremely bad for the shoulders and are not a very effective exercise.

your arms are so far apart when you pull the angle on the shoulder is very un nartual and within the exercise there is very little range of motion.

i do my pullups a hand past shoulder with.
    try different grips too.

my routine for pullups is like this: 20 pull ups, 20 chin ups, 20 baseball bat grip righty, 20 baseball bat grip lefty
    135- Jeff Curran, Miguel Torres
    145- Leonard Garcia, Micah Miller
    155- BJ Penn, Kenny Florian, Nate Diaz
    160- Nick Diaz, Shinya Aoki
    170- BJ Penn (you'll see), Dustin Hazelett
    185- Anderson Silva
    205- Brandon Vera
    265- FEDOR

Originally Posted by Tom F View Post
    Wide grip pull ups are extremely bad for the shoulders and are not a very effective exercise.

your arms are so far apart when you pull the angle on the shoulder is very un nartual and within the exercise there is very little range of motion.

i do my pullups a hand past shoulder with.
    try different grips too.

my routine for pullups is like this: 20 pull ups, 20 chin ups, 20 baseball bat grip righty, 20 baseball bat grip lefty
    Thats what I figured. It felt very weird when I was doing them but I couldn't tell what was so weird about them. I just found out this morning when I woke up though. I just slabbed on some icy hot n im lovin it though. Thanks bro, repped.