pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it possible to build a great body with only dips, chin ups and pull ups?

Well, my question is: Is it possible to build a great body with only dips, pull ups and Chin ups?

My idea is to run this program:

Monday:
    Deadlift 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Chin ups
    Barbell Row

Wed:
    Squat 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Chin ups
    Pull ups

Fri:
    Squat 5x5
    Benchpress 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Pull ups
    Barbell Row

I have started traning for only 2 months ago, and i love pull ups and dips. So im pretty noob at this stuff :P

Thanks for all answers.
    Also, i want to keep my workout very intense but not long.
    Last edited by pijussau; 07-23-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sure can, chins/pullups are perhaps the best back/bicep builders of all time, if you can do 15 reps with an additional 30% of your BW then you will have a very impressive back and some impressive biceps/forearms to go along with it.

Bench press and dips will take care of your pressing muscles. Squats and deadlifts will take care of your legs and lower back.

My current routine is,

D1 - Front Squats, Romanian Deadlifts
    D2 - Bench Press (15 degree incline), Dips, Upright Rows (shoulder width grip)
    D3 - Close Grip Chins, Wide Grip Pullups, Horizontal Rows

I don't use many exercises but I do use a large number of sets, I believe being very strong on a few key exercises is better than being average at 30 different exercises.

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well... It is quite possible to have a great body while doing no exercises whatsoever.
    Genetics for the win.

But as far as your workout trade wednesday and friday out so that your legs and deadlift aren't so close. Perhaps even switch to wed/fri/mon (if that makes sense).
    Nothing wrong with this workout, but you'll probably hear that Rip or SS is better.
    Last edited by Swamp Dog; 07-23-2009 at 07:35 AM.

emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10) emac_fenian is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I created a thread similar to this a little while ago. Most people felt that you could if you do enough variations in the exercises. But you can't build a great body if you don't work out your legs, so you'd also have to do some squats or something to target your legs.

pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pijussau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by emac_fenian View Post
    I created a thread similar to this a little while ago. Most people felt that you could if you do enough variations in the exercises. But you can't build a great body if you don't work out your legs, so you'd also have to do some squats or something to target your legs.
    Well , i did 5 weeks with Stronglift 5x5 and i got pretty good result on legs, but upper body didnt grow

So i thought to change litte.

Monday:
    Deadlift 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Chin ups
    Barbell Row

Wed:
    Squat 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Chin ups
    Pull ups

Fri:
    Squat 5x5
    Benchpress 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Pull ups
    Barbell Row

So i run squat 2x week, im pretty good at squat, my weight is 60kg and i lift 80kg in squat (im just 14 years)
    Last edited by pijussau; 07-23-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Maybe i should vary chest dips and triceps dips?

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pijussau View Post
    Well , i did 5 weeks with Stronglift 5x5 and i got pretty good result on legs, but upper body didnt grow

So i thought to change litte.

Monday:
    Deadlift 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Chin ups
    Barbell Row

Wed:
    Squat 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Chin ups
    Pull ups

Fri:
    Squat 5x5
    Benchpress 5x5
    Weighted Dips 10x3
    Pull ups
    Barbell Row

So i run squat 2x week, im pretty good at squat, my weight is 60kg and i lift 80kg in squat (im just 14 years)
    Cool, but switch monday for wednesday, that'll spread squat days up a bit.

Originally Posted by Swamp Dog View Post
    Cool, but switch monday for wednesday, that'll spread squat days up a bit.
    Ok thanks, but i have heard that i need like many push as row.
    or what?

Please help..

Originally Posted by pijussau View Post
    Ok thanks, but i have heard that i need like many push as row.
    or what?

Please help..
    Well you have chin-ups and rows and a day of deads so you're ok. This is a pretty good workout, keep intensity up and eat and you'll grow in size and strength. Diet is your friend, be sure to eat enough and try to eat quality food as much as possible. I'm not saying avoid fast food altogether but be sensible about it. Get plenty of rest too.
    On your 10x3 dips, switch it around to a 3x10.
    Throw some overhead barbell press to for the shoulders at least once a week and you're good to go. After you've lifted for a while change it up, find a new routine, but not until you've made all the progress you feel you can make on this routine. I'd say stay on this one for a year, get all your lifts up then move to something else.

Well you have chin-ups and rows and a day of deads so you're ok. This is a pretty good workout, keep intensity up and eat and you'll grow in size and strength. Diet is your friend, be sure to eat enough and try to eat quality food as much as possible. I'm not saying avoid fast food altogether but be sensible about it. Get plenty of rest too.
    On your 10x3 dips, switch it around to a 3x10.
    Throw some overhead barbell press to for the shoulders at least once a week and you're good to go. After you've lifted for a while change it up, find a new routine, but not until you've made all the progress you feel you can make on this routine. I'd say stay on this one for a year, get all your lifts up then move to something else.
    Well, you mean 3 reps, 10 set? i mean 10 reps 3 set :P

Well, i have a split workout to maybe you can check it out and comment it:

Monday: Back, lower body, biceps and abs Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Barbell Row 11x3
    Chins aka pullups 3xF
    Deadlift 5x5
    Chin-ups 3xF
    Prone Bridges (30sec) start with 0 weight, week after week put more weight.
    Leg raises 3xF
    Cardio

Wed: Triceps, shoulders, chest and abs - Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Incline Bench Press 12 reps x3 [UPPER CHEST]
    Dips 12x3 [DOWNER CHEST]
    Overhead Press (Shoulders) 12x3
    Crunch (abs) 3xF
    Toe touch (abs) 3xF
    Cardio

Friday:
    If i missed any workouts, then do it on Friday or choose between workout A or B and then next week change it again.

It is a little confusing, most routines are written out as set/reps. So yeah 3 sets of 10 reps.

I don't mean to be rude but critiquing routines takes a lot of work.
    Find something that works for you, you're 3 day full body workout looks good.
    If you want to do an A B workout use fridays as an A workout not as a clean up.
    Ex. aba, then next week bab.
    There's a sticky at the top of this forum that has tried and true workout routines to take out all the guess work.

It is a little confusing, most routines are written out as set/reps. So yeah 3 sets of 10 reps.

I don't mean to be rude but critiquing routines takes a lot of work.
    Find something that works for you, you're 3 day full body workout looks good.
    If you want to do an A B workout use fridays as an A workout not as a clean up.
    Ex. aba, then next week bab.
    There's a sticky at the top of this forum that has tried and true workout routines to take out all the guess work.
    Ok thanks. Gonna check it

fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    Sure can, chins/pullups are perhaps the best back/bicep builders of all time, if you can do 15 reps with an additional 30% of your BW then you will have a very impressive back and some impressive biceps/forearms to go along with it.

Bench press and dips will take care of your pressing muscles. Squats and deadlifts will take care of your legs and lower back.

My current routine is,

D1 - Front Squats, Romanian Deadlifts
    D2 - Bench Press (15 degree incline), Dips, Upright Rows (shoulder width grip)
    D3 - Close Grip Chins, Wide Grip Pullups, Horizontal Rows

I don't use many exercises but I do use a large number of sets, I believe being very strong on a few key exercises is better than being average at 30 different exercises.
    If you want an impressive build, do this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10) USMSRN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've incorporated dips, pushups, & pull/chinups into a SS3x5 program. It slows my gains down some on the major lifts w/ added soreness which I know is the #1 no-no, but I really want to get good at pullups.