Propfrwrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

DIY Lifting Platform- wood or rubber?

Setting up my garage gym and am looking for some advice...

I have a Powertec Power Rack that I would like to attach a DIY Olympic platform to. I was thinking of using the two sheets of 3/4" plywood cross-laid, glued and screwed, with 3/4" rubber mats on top.

I'm looking for some advice with regards to a few questions.

1.) Wood or rubber for the middle portion (where you stand) of the platform? Rubber would be a lot easier, but I'm concerned that it might be too 'grippy'.

2.) Platform around and in the squat cage vs. the squat cage just sitting on top. It would be nice to have the floor bars in front of the cage flush with the platform, but will be a crapload of extra work.

Thanks in advance!

titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wood

around, ideally something like this because it's pretty

Just be aware that, depending on what sort of weight you use and how recklessly you use it, 2 sheets of plywood and some rubber might not be enough save your concrete over time.

Even with rubber bumpers?

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Propfrwrd View Post

Rubber all the way, your bumper plates will last longer. Dropping weights is not that loud but the impact can be felt a hundred feet away. Things I would change would be to put a layer of cork underlayment beneath all the wood and in between the layers of wood to try to keep impact from spreading too much. Right now it's just 3/4" horse stall rubber mat and two layers of 1/2" plywood right on the concrete floor. .
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) clorox_me is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    wood with rubber on the outsides where you drop the plates.

this is the best setup, IMO. Wood is better for doing the olympic lifts on than a rubber surface. Go to ironmind and search for an article on how they build platforms. It's pretty easy and cost effective.

titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Propfrwrd View Post
    Nvm then, you'll be fine.

My only reasonable option for bumpers were those fat crossfitter ones which only fit like 4/side on the bar, so I just went crazy on the platform to handle dumping ~600 worth of steel plates from my shoulders. Also, plywood laid directly on concrete would warp like crazy when it hits -40 in the winter here, so I had to do it a little differently. Used the same design for an atlas stone platform and it's solid.

Just what I was looking for!

Thanks guys!

simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by titwagon View Post

My only reasonable option for bumpers were those fat crossfitter ones which only fit like 4/side on the bar, so I just went crazy on the platform to handle dumping ~600 worth of steel plates from my shoulders. Also, plywood laid directly on concrete would warp like crazy when it hits -40 in the winter here, so I had to do it a little differently. Used the same design for an atlas stone platform and it's solid.
    That is a sweet setup, about how much do you think all of that cost?

Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice setup - Are those jerk blocks fixed or mobile?
    Koyongi: I am going to accomplish this by following a haphazard training system, and forging elite fitness.

Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Smithers115 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Wow, thats impressive.
    Great MAGA King status

Bing Chilling

Hijackt

Originally Posted by simp3204 View Post
    That is a sweet setup, about how much do you think all of that cost?
    Didn't pay attention. I was buying materials to build a barn and some other stuff at the same time. There's more stuff not shown, plus it started with a dirt floor, no paint, no insulation or sheeting on the ceiling, no heat, etc. so it wasn't cheap. As long my balance kept going up I was happy.

Originally Posted by Fluster View Post
    Nice setup - Are those jerk blocks fixed or mobile?
    Fixed. They're pretty high so I can squat from them too.

meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) meat5x5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

With a setup like that you could open up your own mini-gym. I would love to have a home gym like that. (or is this a professional gym? I can't tell. it's built well enough where I am not sure!)