Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

high blood pressure in teen boys normal?

Today I got a physical and I'm a healthy young boy. 5'7 148 pounds pulse of 80 everything else fine. My blood pressure was 148/75 in both arms. The doc said its normal for teen boys to have high blood pressure. I think the last time I did it (2 years ago) my blood pressure was high to. Why is it normal for boys to have high blood pressures...

California Dreaming Carpenter.Jeremy's Avatar
    Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Carpenter.Jeremy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Puberty? Not sure. I know that going to the doctors often raises blood pressure because of anxiety. Do you think your doctor is hot? haha. changes of emotion can cause an increase in blood pressure
    I am who I am, and I'm proud of it.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Aint no party like a Cali Party!

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Iodine View Post
    Today I got a physical and I'm a healthy young boy. 5'7 148 pounds pulse of 80 everything else fine. My blood pressure was 148/75 in both arms. The doc said its normal for teen boys to have high blood pressure. I think the last time I did it (2 years ago) my blood pressure was high to. Why is it normal for boys to have high blood pressures...
    He probably did not explain himself well... He means that you get "white-coat hypertension" (WCH). Your pulse of 80, your diastole of 75, both suggest that your systole of 148 is caused by WCH. There is some debate of wether this is a predictor of later problems or not.

I would suggest keeping an eye on it long-term (ie take care once you go past puberty, as hormones change and you might find yourself with real pre-hypertension.

For your reference: blood pressure is around 120/80 in most ppl and pulse should be around 60-70 bp for an untrained individual. Less if you are trained (athletic). I.E My pulse is around 50 but I fall into the category of "trained".
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Iodine is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I think I was a little nervous which might have been why my pulse was 80. I'm pretty sure it's 60 or 70 from previous tests. But my blood pressure is still high. Is it maybe because I don't sleep much?

Registered User JiuJitsuFighter's Avatar
    JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sleep deficiency is one of many reasons that can give you pre-hypertension
    Also, if hypertension runs in the family, it can be another reason for you to get it. My BP is pretty high also.
    USCG Crew
    Chew Crew

Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000) Fadil is just really nice. (+1000)
    panic disorder is my humble guess
    1000+

***PMC - Where Amazing Happens***

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Iodine View Post
    I think I was a little nervous which might have been why my pulse was 80. I'm pretty sure it's 60 or 70 from previous tests. But my blood pressure is still high. Is it maybe because I don't sleep much?
    Nah... When the heart beats faster it also usually beats harder, hence you have increased systolic with little to no increase in diastole...

I wonder if you don't remember correctly and your pressure was less than 148.

Also if you are seeing a pediatrician, he might be using a smaller cuff (and he knows it), so thats why he told you that.

A lot of times a blood pressure of 140/80 at the doctor with a bp of 80 might be a 120/75 at home with a bp of 60.

I would keep an eye on it that is for sure. It seems unusually high even for WCH.

It is not unusual for teens to develop hypertension... (maybe you are "salt sensitive").
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Mine is high i think something like 180+/70+ .... i actually dont know if they are the right numbers but we did it today in college and apparently i am high. Resting heart rate is 90+ aswell.

tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10) tikitorch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i agree with reefpicker.. and I think you should go to the pharmacy or wal mart and use the blood pressure machine there and see what it is.

You might have been nervous at the doctors office, which made ur BP rise. 140/80 is classified as high blood pressure, and people with this high BP usually go on BP meds in order to stop further damage.

I would check and make sure its not really that high, it isnt normal for a teen boy to have high BP, and if it is actually is that high, you need to get on BP medications. (High BP can cause kidney damage, small capillary damage (eyes, hands and feet- neuropathy, weakening of your arteries, etc)

Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Laxer311 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It could be your diet, Lots of fast foods lead to high blood pressure, all that sodium.

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lancs_hotpot View Post
    Mine is high i think something like 180+/70+
    Wow, forget the OP, this guy's got a real big problem,

You'd better get treated.
    No sir, I don't like it.

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Wow, forget the OP, this guy's got a real big problem,

You'd better get treated.
    You think?

Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You think?
    Absolutely, and for two reasons.

1. BP that high is very possibly causing damage to multiple organs.

2. BP that high at your age is more likely to be secondary to another medical condition. (i.e. it might not be primary or essential hypertension).

If a doctor let you walk out of his office with that BP without treatment, it is malpractice.
    No sir, I don't like it.

Absolutely, and for two reasons.

1. BP that high is very possibly causing damage to multiple organs.

2. BP that high at your age is more likely to be secondary to another medical condition. (i.e. it might not be primary or essential hypertension).

If a doctor let you walk out of his office with that BP without treatment, it is malpractice.
    I see, cheers.

I see, cheers.
    Yeah, you should verify that those numbers are right.

180 is really bad.

Maybe you got the numbers mixed up in your mind and it was not that high.

80+ pulse for an athlete is also too high.

What about cuff size?

Mr. Horse, what is the issue of cuff size vs. arm size? I have been trying to wrap my head around it, and I am not sure what the answer is...(i.e. false high if the arm is bigger than the cuff? I am pretty sure its going to affect one reading more than the other... And I think the systolic will look abnormally high?) but if LanceHotpot is as big as he looks, it could be an issue with cuff size....
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

Originally Posted by reefpicker View Post
    What about cuff size?.

A cuff that is too small will give a falsely high reading. However to get a reading of >180, he would likely have elevated BP in reality, even with a small cuff. However, there is no telling how improperly the test was performed (i.e. done manually) or if the machine was not calibrated, or the cuff grossly unfit for his arm. Anything is possible, but again, to let him walk out without confirming/denying/treating/working up that pressure is malpractice. I think you may be right that this individual misunderstood/mixed up the number.

Likewise, a too-large cuff will give a falsely-low reading.
    No sir, I don't like it.

A cuff that is too small will give a falsely high reading. However to get a reading of >180, he would likely have elevated BP in reality, even with a small cuff. However, there is no telling how improperly the test was performed (i.e. done manually) or if the machine was not calibrated, or the cuff grossly unfit for his arm. Anything is possible, but again, to let him walk out without confirming/denying/treating/working up that pressure is malpractice. I think you may be right that this individual misunderstood/mixed up the number.

Likewise, a too-large cuff will give a falsely-low reading.
    Good to know.

When I was like 19, I used to still go to my pediatrician. This one time took my bp but looked scared when he was done and he quickly left the room, called a nurse, and had her get him another cuff. Then he measured again and said "Oh that was not the right cuff so I got a very high reading"...

I would be scared if my BP read 180... The highest I have ever seen mine is like 160 and it was only once... I think above 200 or 210 can be a medical emergency... So that is getting up there....

And I think it is important to note that a BP of 140/80 or 150/80 can be White Coat but it is still something that should be followed up. The guidelines for physicians are pretty clear for anything above 140, which is why you see most physicians will take the steps to get you tested if they see something that high. Below 139 is a bit murky and if they suspect WCH they might not do much about it, but I would personally keep an eye on it !

The reason I am so "into" the subject is because I have pre-hypertension (130/85) but was diagnosed with hypertension, mostly because I have WCH (140/90 and higher). This is an ongoing battle, and so far I have been able to keep it below that number but I feel soon I will need meds again. At home, relax, last year I got a lot of 125/80, but this last month I have been getting up a bit more into the upper 130's and low 90's, so I am very concerned. I might have to visit a doc soon....

I keep an eye on it.
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JiuJitsuFighter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good to know.

When I was like 19, I used to still go to my pediatrician. This one time took my bp but looked scared when he was done and he quickly left the room, called a nurse, and had her get him another cuff. Then he measured again and said "Oh that was not the right cuff so I got a very high reading"...

I would be scared if my BP read 180... The highest I have ever seen mine is like 160 and it was only once... I think above 200 or 210 can be a medical emergency... So that is getting up there....

And I think it is important to note that a BP of 140/80 or 150/80 can be White Coat but it is still something that should be followed up. The guidelines for physicians are pretty clear for anything above 140, which is why you see most physicians will take the steps to get you tested if they see something that high. Below 139 is a bit murky and if they suspect WCH they might not do much about it, but I would personally keep an eye on it !

The reason I am so "into" the subject is because I have pre-hypertension (130/85) but was diagnosed with hypertension, mostly because I have WCH (140/90 and higher). This is an ongoing battle, and so far I have been able to keep it below that number but I feel soon I will need meds again. At home, relax, last year I got a lot of 125/80, but this last month I have been getting up a bit more into the upper 130's and low 90's, so I am very concerned. I might have to visit a doc soon....

I keep an eye on it.
    how's your diet like? keep low on the sodium and all that nasty foods.
    USCG Crew
    Chew Crew

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuFighter View Post
    how's your diet like? keep low on the sodium and all that nasty foods.
    Thanks for the post.

No worries, I do keep an eye on the diet... Also after this, I thought that maybe I will buy a new cuff. My old one is leaky and I don't trust it anymore. I usually do better at the Walmart cuff than the one I have at home.

There are two things that raise my BP, and I know because sometimes I can "feel it". One is salt. I am very salt sensitive.

The other is.... tada..... guess??? STRESS

Yep.

The highest BP I have ever recorded myself was one time I had this BIG test. It was a grad school take-home test (Fish Ecology...) but I read the questions.... Then read them again... Took them home... Read them again... I had no IDEA what they wanted me to write about.. I was so lost and so stressed out... And I was trailing on another class (physical oceanography if you must know.... the problem was that they ASSUMED that we KNEW Calculus II, and we biologist only take Calculus I)... Anyway... all that stress compounded with the fact that I lived ALONE... I was on 165/95 Pretty bad I know...

Stress + salt => Very bad for me.

BTW At the end of that semester, I got a B in both classes I think. I did pretty well in my final test for oceanography... the trick? I associated myself with a chemist who had the calculus II background and could explain better than the professors and who also suggested a book which helped me to understand...
    Last edited by reefpicker; 02-06-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I can't believe that no one saw teen boys and blood pressure and thought of a masturbation/porn joke.
    I want to touch the butt.

tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000) tensortrucks00 is just really nice. (+1000)
    no only you lllulzzz

Thanks for the post.

No worries, I do keep an eye on the diet... Also after this, I thought that maybe I will buy a new cuff. My old one is leaky and I don't trust it anymore. I usually do better at the Walmart cuff than the one I have at home.

There are two things that raise my BP, and I know because sometimes I can "feel it". One is salt. I am very salt sensitive.

The other is.... tada..... guess??? STRESS

Yep.

The highest BP I have ever recorded myself was one time I had this BIG test. It was a grad school take-home test (Fish Ecology...) but I read the questions.... Then read them again... Took them home... Read them again... I had no IDEA what they wanted me to write about.. I was so lost and so stressed out... And I was trailing on another class (physical oceanography if you must know.... the problem was that they ASSUMED that we KNEW Calculus II, and we biologist only take Calculus I)... Anyway... all that stress compounded with the fact that I lived ALONE... I was on 165/95 Pretty bad I know...

Stress + salt => Very bad for me.

BTW At the end of that semester, I got a B in both classes I think. I did pretty well in my final test for oceanography... the trick? I associated myself with a chemist who had the calculus II background and could explain better than the professors and who also suggested a book which helped me to understand...
    it's good you keep an eye on that stuff, hypertension is some serious bizz haha.
    USCG Crew
    Chew Crew

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    One time I did my BP in a super market and it was 164/75. But it was completely ****ed because I had just worked out about 20 minutes before leaving to the supermarket, and I had taken an NO product, along with excessive caffeine and ephedrine.

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The good news for you is that 150/80 is a lot better than 130/100. Keep your Diastolic low and work on the systolic. Also, be aware the blood pressure readings, like body fat readings, are HEAVILY dependent on the skill of the person taking the reading. There are also other factors, some people get nervous when they are in a doctor's office, but especially when there is something being done to them like have their blood pressure taken or getting a shot. You might not feel nervous, but it can still raise your alertness enough to elevate your BP. Also, talking, drinking, eating, sitting down/standing up/walking can all throw readings off if you do them within a short time of the reading.

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Eh I've always had a bit high bp... can't get it down...
    usually around 130/70... ever since I was 14. My heart rate though is usually around 50.
    @__@

Originally Posted by Rugger7 View Post
    The good news for you is that 150/80 is a lot better than 130/100.
    Says who?
    No sir, I don't like it.

Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rugger7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Says who?
    Cardiologists and other non-quack doctors. High diastolic BP is much more indicative of badl cardiovascular health. If your veins are at 100 when your heart is relaxed, there is CONSTANT abnormal pressure on your veins. They never get a break. If it is normal and systolic is high, there is intermittent pressure on the veins. I had a doctor tell me this, I questioned a cardiologist I know and he agreed, and I've questioned another doctor since and he agreed. So, I'm going by 3 doctor's opinion, one being a cardiologist, one a surgeon, and one family practice. If they are wrong, then I may be wrong.

Originally Posted by grapemaster View Post
    Eh I've always had a bit high bp... can't get it down...
    usually around 130/70... ever since I was 14. My heart rate though is usually around 50.
    130/70 isn't bad at all, the diastolic is ideal.

Well I was on creatine when she took my blood pressure (fully saturated) and I still am. Been off for a week now. High bp does not run in the family my sister and moms are low and normal my dads is a little high but that's about it. I get like 6 hours of sleep on average so yeah I should work on that. And sodium...I barely have salt actually I mean probably a little less than the average person.

BTW: lady who took my bp was a D.C. Doctor of chiropractic or something
    Last edited by Iodine; 02-07-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Originally Posted by Rugger7 View Post
    Cardiologists and other non-quack doctors. High diastolic BP is much more indicative of badl cardiovascular health. If your veins are at 100 when your heart is relaxed, there is CONSTANT abnormal pressure on your veins. They never get a break. If it is normal and systolic is high, there is intermittent pressure on the veins. I had a doctor tell me this, I questioned a cardiologist I know and he agreed, and I've questioned another doctor since and he agreed. So, I'm going by 3 doctor's opinion, one being a cardiologist, one a surgeon, and one family practice. If they are wrong, then I may be wrong.
    That was once a commonly held belief, but the data doesn't really support it. Although both numbers are likely important, the systolic is unquivocally so, and is thus the focus of therapy.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1271271

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/34/3/381

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
    No sir, I don't like it.