bluesky2504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Front Drive vs Rear Drive Elliptical - what to buy?

I'm looking to by an Elliptical for daily use by 2 people (one person is 5'4 and the other is 6'2). We've consistently used elliptical trainers at the gyms before so we know we're going to use it frequently. It has been a confusing experience after trying elliptical machines at different stores and doing online research I'm very confused about what to get. So far I've like the feel of sole E25 (handle bars were short for the 6'2 person) and E35. These are front drive and online research has been consistently saying stay away from front drives because of high maintenance and not so natural feel. We tried some rear drive (Pro form, health rider under $1000) and we found the stride to be short and the motion to be a bit up/down motion. It felt like I was jumping up and down on these. Sole E35 felt like I was taking longer strides and it was much smoother.
    Some features that are important to us:
    Incline feature - to target other muscles so it doesn't get boring.
    longer stride - 20' - 21'
    smooth/non bumpy motion
    Price range: Under $1300

Does anyone have any experience with Front drive or a sole elliptical? Will the rear drive give you a better workout? Are there other elliptical trainers I should be checking out?

Thanks!

Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have an Octane Elliptical, and on the model I own the height problem is solved by an on-the-fly stride adjustment between 21" and 26". Mine was more than $1300, but I know Octane has a bunch of models so you may want to check them out.

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Manzooka View Post
    I have an Octane Elliptical, and on the model I own the height problem is solved by an on-the-fly stride adjustment between 21" and 26". Mine was more than $1300, but I know Octane has a bunch of models so you may want to check them out.
    I have had a Sole E55 for about three years. I am around 6' 2" and it has gotten a lot of use, since I have been rehabbing achilles problems every six months or so. I recommend trying to snag one on Craigslist dirt cheap. I've seen a couple listed for around $500. And I'm willing to bet most people buy them and don't use them one tenth as much as I do.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ffrink; 09-07-2010 at 08:08 AM.

wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) wendyreddinger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Check out some of these ellipticals at: http://www.buckeyefitness.com/elma.html If you have any questions call the 1-800 number and my husband can answer any question you might have.
    http://www.buckeyefitness.com