6'4" 220 mostly legs Malnourishment's Avatar
    Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Peanut butter and whole wheat bread good, white bread bad?

From what I gather, most BB'ers think peanut butter and whole wheat are healthy and white bread is bad for you.
    I question those assumptions. Is it possible that white bread is actually healthier than both?

My white bread has 3g protein, 3g fiber, and 70 calories per slice.
    My whole wheat bread has 4g protein, 3g fiber, and 110 calories per slice.

So my white bread is actually more protein dense than my whole wheat bread.

My peanut butter has 7g of protein, 16 grams of fat, and 210 calories per serving.
    Technically, for the same number of calories, white bread has more protein than peanut butter, AND the QUALITY of the protein appears to be the same if not better (54 PQ).

So am I wrong to conclude that white bread can be healthier, macros-wise, than whole wheat bread or peanut butter, which a lot of people seem to swear are healthy?
    (Idk where my mind is, but I've been eating a lot of sandwiches lately and this white bread is damn delicious.)

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    White bread is NOT bad, neither is white rice or regular pasta etc

If someone relies on bread/rice/pasta for your micronutrients or fibre that much that they can't consume white versions, they have bigger issues

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Your post implies you assess nutritional quality based on protein content
    Mistake
    Also sounds like you are relying on PB and bread for protein
    mistake
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Malnourishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    White bread is NOT bad, neither is white rice or regular pasta etc

If someone relies on bread/rice/pasta for your micronutrients or fibre that much that they can't consume white versions, they have bigger issues
    White rice has 205 calories per serving with a measly 4g of protein and 1g of fiber, so white bread might actually be 2-4x more nutrient-dense.

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    Your post implies you assess nutritional quality based on protein content
    Mistake
    Also sounds like you are relying on PB and bread for protein
    mistake
    I do tend to gauge the nutritional value of foods on both protein content and protein quality, but I don't think that's so unreasonable, is it?
    My main source of protein is actually meat (beef, pork, chicken, mmm!). Not environmentally sustainable, but just as cheap as whey protein where I live for the protein content and much tastier!

Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First of all I would say that most people (myself included) would say that peanut butter is very unhealthy for a person; it's processed junk. and wheat bread is alot better than white bread. Wheat bread is very high in fiber and retains many vitamins, such as iron, that white bread does not have. White bread is also processed junk.

check out this article http://www.livestrong.com/article/89...r-white-bread/

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Malnourishment View Post
    White rice has 205 calories per serving with a measly 4g of protein and 1g of fiber, so white bread might actually be 2-4x more nutrient-dense.

I do tend to gauge the nutritional value of foods on both protein content and protein quality, but I don't think that's so unreasonable, is it?
    My main source of protein is actually meat (beef, pork, chicken, mmm!).

Why are you gauging the quality of carb sources on their protein content? Do you do the same with other macros?

Originally Posted by Fbomb1990 View Post
    First of all I would say that most people (myself included) would say that peanut butter is very unhealthy for a person; it's processed junk. and wheat bread is alot better than white bread. Wheat bread is very high in fiber and retains many vitamins, such as iron, that white bread does not have. White bread is also processed junk.

check out this article http://www.livestrong.com/article/89...r-white-bread/

SMH. Could you be more wrong?
    Delirious Mutant.

By the way, I eat chit-tons of veggies and take Orange Triad so vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients = done. I am mostly worried about calories and macros like most other people who do not eat a diet that is primarily grain (an unhealthy diet to say the least).

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

My main source of protein is actually meat (beef, pork, chicken, mmm!). Not environmentally sustainable, but just as cheap as whey protein where I live for the protein content and much tastier!
    Bread, rice and even peanut butter are not usually eaten as a protein source (not that the protein doesn't count of course) they are mainly used for carb sources (bread and rice) and fat source (PB)

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by necon76 View Post

Didn't you know wheat bread grows in fields and is virtually unprocessed once they cut it off the stalk ?

Originally Posted by MetilHed View Post
    Bread, rice and even peanut butter are not usually eaten as a protein source (not that the protein doesn't count of course) they are mainly used for carb sources (bread and rice) and fat source (PB)
    But a lot of people DO seem to eat peanut butter as a protein source.
    Vegans often eat things like PB and quinoa as their PRIMARY protein sources. Strangely, the oft hated white bread has the same protein content as quinoa (although the quality may be less)!
    Everything you eat throughout the day really adds up in terms of overall nutrition, so little differences count.

Proof of protein sources claim: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4771/...f-Protein.html
    (****ing vegans though...)
    Last edited by Malnourishment; 01-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    But a lot of people DO seem to eat peanut butter as a protein source.
    Vegans often eat things like PB and quinoa as their PRIMARY protein sources. Strangely, the oft hated white bread has the same protein content as quinoa (although the quality may be less)!
    1. Vegans dont = a lot of people
    2. Vegans do not eat a lot of protein
    3. If you are concerned with protein-->meats, egg whites, protein powders
    If you are concerned with nutrients--> veggies, fruits, etc
    If you are concerned with flavor, eat whatever type of sandwich you like the most
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CandyRandy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why are you gauging the quality of carb sources on their protein content? Do you do the same with other macros?

You said it before I could.

RIP Calisthenics only1113 Leeuf's Avatar
    Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I personally find that white bread clogs my bowels (overshare?)

Originally Posted by Leeuf View Post
    PB does that to me way more. PB farts for dayz.

Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Leeuf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    PB does that to me way more. PB farts for dayz.
    Haha... You should try some organic peanut butter. Like where you have to mix the oil back in. It made all the difference for me.

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Leeuf View Post

Try eating it instead.
    Delirious Mutant.

Try eating it instead.
    I will try that next time. OH WAIT.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What has this got to do with my post you quoted? I stated white foods aren't bad

mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000) mainsqueeze530 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Your first mistake was thinking I could give a **** what's healthy and what isn't. I eat peanut butter on whole wheat bread because I like whole wheat bread.

Or better yet, I like slapping some of that **** on a whole wheat bagel.
    To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven;
    A time to be born, and a time to die;
    A time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
    A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
    A time to mourn, and a time to dance.