Thread: CPK Levels?

brokenice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

CPK Levels?

I decided to repost this question in this section of the forum since you guys tend be a little bit more experienced and might have had this situation.

Hey guys,

I know this is my first time posting but I come to this site a lot. I just had big reasons to post this time.

I started extensively working out 2 and a half months ago. I wokred out before but not as extreme as this. I usually go to the gym every 3 days and then take an off day. Anyway, I use to weigh around 130lbs and now I weigh around 155 lbs. So in about 3 months I gained 25lbs-mostly muscle. For that reason I decided to take a blood test just to make sure everything is in order. The doctor called me today and said that my CPK levels are really high and I should take a break from wroking out for about 3weeks and cut down on my protein. I don't want to go against my doctor but 3 weeks is a LONG time. Can it be because I don't drink enough water? or something? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Supplements:
    ON Whey Protein
    Creatine -I do not over do it with creatine. I take one teaspoon a day.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    - You are 18 and went to the doctor to get a blood test done because you gained a bit of weight when you were trying to gain weight?

- You gained 25 lbs of muscle in 3 months and its mostly muscle. you must have a very accurate way to measure things.

Something about this doesnt seen right to me.

If you did do this then follow the advice of your doctor.

To be honest, I have a funny feeling about this post.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    - You are 18 and went to the doctor to get a blood test done because you gained a bit of weight when you were trying to gain weight?

- You gained 25 lbs of muscle in 3 months and its mostly muscle. you must have a very accurate way to measure things.

Something about this doesnt seen right to me.

If you did do this then follow the advice of your doctor.

To be honest, I have a funny feeling about this post.
    Funny thing about this post?

Whats that suppose to mean?

I have family members that think me taking protein powder and creatine are bad for the body so to calm them down I decided to take a blood test and found out my CPK levels are too high. Like I said I am looking for help and I am telling you the facts. No reason to lie, that would just put my health in danger. I just figured that maybe the doctor might be over exaggerating and CPK has the term CREATINE in it so I figured my levels are high basically because I am taking a creatine supplement.

Accurate? No, not accurate. I weighed my self on March 5 and was around 130 lbs and now I weigh 156lbs. You look at my body fat and well, not much there except for a little bit a fat over my stomach.

When I started I couldn't even max 135lbs on bench press now I can rep 155lbs.
    Last edited by brokenice; 05-20-2009 at 04:44 PM.

blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blueeyes35148 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well I see this not going so good...

ooooops

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Trauma to muscle tissue such as heavy exercise can cause elevated levels of creatine phosphokinase in the blood.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    Trauma to muscle tissue such as heavy exercise can cause elevated levels of creatine phosphokinase in the blood.
    Ahh kk that helps. So I guess I should take a couple weeks off. Thanks OutOfStep.

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    CPK is SUPPOSED to be elevated if you're working hard enough. There are different CPK isoenzymes for heart, brain and skeletal muscle, and they can do a test and tell the difference.

I suppose if they want you to stop temporarily so they can make sure the muscle CPK elevation isn't from muscular dystrophy, then I would go ahead and do it to get them off your back. But IMO an elevated CPK in somebody who works out is not a cause for alarm.

Some doctors are just plain stupid. Yes I am serious I was pre-med and have learned through my various medical issues that there are good docs but there are also a lot of lazy ones who seem to know less than a well-educated patient.
    Overweight and arrogant

Originally Posted by DaddyR View Post
    CPK is SUPPOSED to be elevated if you're working hard enough. There are different CPK isoenzymes for heart, brain and skeletal muscle, and they can do a test and tell the difference.

I suppose if they want you to stop temporarily so they can make sure the muscle CPK elevation isn't from muscular dystrophy, then I would go ahead and do it to get them off your back. But IMO an elevated CPK in somebody who works out is not a cause for alarm.

Some doctors are just plain stupid. Yes I am serious I was pre-med and have learned through my various medical issues that there are good docs but there are also a lot of lazy ones who seem to know less than a well-educated patient.

Finally, someone who gives me a detailed answer. I appreciate it. =)

And OceanSide- I actually laughed when you said that. haha

thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by brokenice View Post
    ... Anyway, I use to weigh around 130lbs and now I weigh around 155 lbs. So in about 3 months I gained 25lbs-mostly muscle. For that reason I decided to take a blood test just to make sure everything is in order...
    brilliant. you must be related to the muscle anemia guy we had last week.

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    I'll add a cautionary note and elaborate. Do a search on "CPK isoenzymes" and read up to educate yourself before you question the doc about it.

For better or worse, at your age the doctor is going to respond better if you phrase your objections as a question - like "What about the different isoenzymes? I've read that muscle CPK isn't a problem when caused by intense exercise." You'll get a better response and may learn even more from his response than if you simply say "you don't know WTF you're talking about".
    Overweight and arrogant

Originally Posted by DaddyR View Post
    I'll add a cautionary note and elaborate. Do a search on "CPK isoenzymes" and read up to educate yourself before you question the doc about it.

For better or worse, at your age the doctor is going to respond better if you phrase your objections as a question - like "What about the different isoenzymes? I've read that muscle CPK isn't a problem when caused by intense exercise." You'll get a better response and may learn even more from his response than if you simply say "you don't know WTF you're talking about".
    Daddyr- Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Thruxton and crupiea- I came to the forum for some help, not for you to question whether or not what I said is true or not. I stated my situation and I got my help from someone who know somewhat about what hes talking about. Don't need questioning on my progress. =P