Threxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Threxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Threxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Threxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What's a typical weight ratio for dead lift, bench and squat?

I've been working out as a passing hobby for years but have generally avoided dead lifts and squats because I had an issue with my knee. My knee is doing better these days so I've begun to try and incorporate these two major exercises into my routine.

I'm curious, however, if the weight I'm doing is normal relative to my other numbers and size or if I'm 'out of balance' (probably due to inexperience and lack of lower body strength).

So for comparison sake, I'm 6'0", low 190s, ~15% BF and I'm currently benching four sets of 235 x 8. For overhead press I'm doing four sets of 125 x 10

I've worked my way up to four sets of 275 x 10 on dead lift. I'm thinking I should be going for fewer reps but I'm still trying to figure out the form. I tried 300 once and found my back was rounding out even though I was technically completing the reps.

For (back) squats I'm only doing four sets of 215 x 12-14, getting my legs to about a 90 degree angle. It feels more like cardio than strength training but if I do any more weight it seems like I can't keep my weight shifted to my heels like I've read I'm supposed to. So I guess I'm still trying to practice my form.

Anyhow... I'm just curious what the typical person at my weight and strength would be doing in these two lower body exercises, just to give me an idea of what I should be working toward after I get the form down.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Threxx; 01-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I can't tell you what's "typical," but the Old School Standard states that to be really strong, you should work towards these goals:

Overhead Press = bodyweight

Bench = 1 1/2 x bw

Squat = 2 x bw

Deadlift = 2 1/2 x bw
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000)

chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I can't tell you what's "typical," but the Old School Standard states that to be really strong, you should work towards these goals:

Bench = 1 1/2 x bw

Squat = 2 x bw

Deadlift = 2 1/2 x bw
    i have the squat and bench backward, oppps
    Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but doesn't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights. --Ronnie Coleman

Threxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Threxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Threxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Threxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

Bench = 1 1/2 x bw

Squat = 2 x bw

Deadlift = 2 1/2 x bw
    Interesting. Are those numbers referring to single-rep max or multi-rep (as in normal sets?)

Assuming they're referring to a max and assuming I could use a lean (7-8% BF) body weight instead of my current higher BF (due to trying to bulk), I know I could hit that bench number and mayyybe the overhead press. But I know without a doubt I couldn't get anywhere near those squat or dead lifts. I guess that shows I am definitely 'out of balance' right now.

Originally Posted by npaoun View Post
    exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm
    Great link. Thanks.

So assuming I can use my normally lean (7-8% BF) weight and not bulking phase weight, it places me somewhere right smack between intermediate and advanced on bench press and overhead press whereas with squat and dead lift I'd be barely touching intermediate, at best.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
    Interesting. Are those numbers referring to single-rep max or multi-rep (as in normal sets?)

Sorry; I should have noted that those numbers are for 1-Rep Max lifts.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

hardgainer122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great link. Thanks.

So assuming I can use my normally lean (7-8% BF) weight and not bulking phase weight, it places me somewhere right smack between intermediate and advanced on bench press and overhead press whereas with squat and dead lift I'd be barely touching intermediate, at best.
    strange...according to this even though i havent done a 1rep max for squat/bench (used a max rep calculator to estimate my max) for the deadlift im an intermediate for the squat im 10lbs off of novice and bench im a novice (im in the 148 weight section) i honestly wasnt expecting this lol considering i never touched a weight before late spring early summer of this year but i only got serious late in the summer...hoping to be an intermediate for bench and close to intermediate for squats by the end of jan/start of feb 2014

rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rjohndrew13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great link. Thanks.

You should use your current weight, not your lean weight. Being heavier increases leverages, so it's not as though that fat doesn't exist in your lifts. If your max doesn't change through your cut, than sure use the lower weights but I'm a firm believer in only using numbers you have done, not "think you should be able to."
    "Strength is the product of struggle. You must do what others don’t to achieve what others won’t" – Henry Rollins

The stronger you are, the lighter the world feels.

Recovering from surgery on my femur.
    Going for 300/400/500 by 9/11/2014.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160872501