JessieLorraine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gaining Weight ??

Hi everyone,
    I'm struggling to find anyone in the same situation as me.
    I'm a total gym freak, and constantly on the go all day at work, but because of this i'm struggling to maintain a decent weight, I need to gain some but keep toned as i'm far to skinny at the moment. I'm a bit of a health freak and my bf tells me to start looking at supplements to help gain and keep the weight on. but i'm worried i'm gonna end up bulking if i don't take the correct things, so i'm asking for help on what i should be taking supplement wise.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks for your help guys.

Jessie.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First, you should be bulking at those stats. Second, I'm not really sure what you mean when you say you want to gain but keep toned. If you are gaining weight, some of it is going to be fat. You say you are a gym freak but don't say what your routine is like. If you are lifting heavy and eating enough, you will gain weight, some of which will be fat, some muscle, and that is bulking. But if you aren't gaining, you simply aren't eating enough. No supplement is going to make you gain weight and keep it on. Just eat more.

Unfortunately what I"m reading between the lines is that you don't want to gain fat. And unfortunately you are going to have to get past that because you can't gain weight and not expect to gain some fat. If you are following a good training program and lifting heavy, you may find you like your shape more. I'm certainly no expert but going by your avi and your other pics, it doesn't look like you've got a whole lot of muscle. Plus you say your goal physique is a bodybuilder. If that's what you want, you are going to have to bulk and forget about staying "toned" while you do it. Otherwise, you are just going to keep spinning your wheels. Good luck!!!!
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scotthm2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Can't really add anything to this, looks like danigrrl covered it all :-)
    Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    First, you should be bulking at those stats. Second, I'm not really sure what you mean when you say you want to gain but keep toned. If you are gaining weight, some of it is going to be fat. You say you are a gym freak but don't say what your routine is like. If you are lifting heavy and eating enough, you will gain weight, some of which will be fat, some muscle, and that is bulking. But if you aren't gaining, you simply aren't eating enough. No supplement is going to make you gain weight and keep it on. Just eat more.

Unfortunately what I"m reading between the lines is that you don't want to gain fat. And unfortunately you are going to have to get past that because you can't gain weight and not expect to gain some fat. If you are following a good training program and lifting heavy, you may find you like your shape more. I'm certainly no expert but going by your avi and your other pics, it doesn't look like you've got a whole lot of muscle. Plus you say your goal physique is a bodybuilder. If that's what you want, you are going to have to bulk and forget about staying "toned" while you do it. Otherwise, you are just going to keep spinning your wheels. Good luck!!!!

Cheers for the post, my goal isn't bodybuilder, i'm new to the site only just signed up today so not really done my page properly yet. (I'll update that if i can figure out how to... considering its taken me about 3 hours to find where i posted this post.... not v good with computers lol)

I'm not worried about having fat, and i'm more of a cardio person than weightlifiting, as you stated i don't have much muscle, which is why my goal is to get more muscle, by bulking, i probably used the wrong word but i mean i don't want to look over the top with muscles.
    Basically im just a little skeptical about supplements and just wanted some advice if maybe any protein shakes would be a good idea to help with the weight issues?

By gain and keep toned, i mean i want to put on weight, but id like to keep the weight i put on toned up ( no unwanted flabby bits but some fat covering my rib cage would be nice ) ... whats not to get about that.

My diet is fairly a good diet, healthy foods, and usually consume around 1500 calories a day... any more than that and i'm too bloated to even think about heading to the gym.

My routine usally is, swimming every other morning before work, and then i work 9-6 and is an active on the go job, and then a t 6 i head to the gym and usally do 20 mins each on bike, cross trainer, treadmill and rowing machine and then finish off with about 20 mins of weight exercises that the instructor at the gym gives me to do.
    I have one rest day per week.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    To gain weight, the good weight (muscle), you'll need to put an emphasis on heavy weight lifting and way more calories than 1500, on the order of 2300+, probably more if you are a cardio junkie and can't stop or reduce it.

The bloating comes with the territory, it's just something you'll have to mentally power through. After a few months the "I don't give a fawk" attitude may set in once you see your progress and begin enjoying the strength gains.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Ok, so you recommend just to increase the calories (which i know i need to do but is hard when you end up bloated and can't move for a couple of days haha but ill try and push through it.) and not bother with any supplements ?

Thanks.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Like Meg said, you just need to eat more. It looks like you do a fair amount of cardio, so you are going to need to just eat more. If you are having a hard time getting the calories in, drinking them is always an alternative. You can blend up a protein shake with 600 calories and that might be easier to get down than eating more food. Peanut butter and nuts are your friend - calorie dense and don't add a lot of food. Roast veggies in olive oil, throw some avocado in your salad. Use full fat dairy instead of fat free. Eat whole eggs. If you want more muscle, you need to eat more than 1500 calories - and it doesn't matter how you get them in, just get them in. Make sure you're hitting your minimum protein requirement - shoot for an even 100 which is approximately 1g per pound, and a minimum of .3g fat per pound, though you can have more than that, and as I said fats are a good way to get in extra calories.

You are a woman - you can't get too muscly or big. You don't have the testosterone. Lift heavy and eat. Good luck!
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP do you just do cardio? Do you lift weights?

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JessieLorraine View Post
    My diet is fairly a good diet, healthy foods, and usually consume around 1500 calories a day... any more than that and i'm too bloated to even think about heading to the gym.

My routine usally is, swimming every other morning before work, and then i work 9-6 and is an active on the go job, and then a t 6 i head to the gym and usally do 20 mins each on bike, cross trainer, treadmill and rowing machine and then finish off with about 20 mins of weight exercises that the instructor at the gym gives me to do.
    I have one rest day per week.
    So you're eating 1500 calories but doing 80 minutes of cardio every day, plus swimming alternate days, plus weights, plus an active job?

That's really awful and unhealthy. Sorry OP but it's going to be giving you all kinds of hormonal issues with raised cortisol and probably messed up appetite regulation and, I would guess, a compromised metabolism (given that you are probably maintaining your weight on a net intake of about 500 calories which is hardly sufficient to support your internal organs).

I recommend you get a bone density scan since you seem a prime candidate for osteoporosis, cut your cardio out completely for now since I would question whether you have a compulsive exercise disorder (if not then you really don't need to be doing it anyway right now) and lift HEAVY 3-4 days per week. Eat 2000+. If necessary, take a shake before bedtime. I used to make a 1000 calorie shake which was about 2 cups worth when I was in the early days of bulking. 2 cups of liquid plus 2x500 calorie meals per day is more than easy. I wonder whether you are filling up on non-dense foods to get the illusion of being full?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155881453

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JessieLorraine View Post
    looking at supplements to help gain and keep the weight on. but i'm worried i'm gonna end up bulking if i don't take the correct things, .
    I am confused by your post. You say you need to gain weight but are afraid of bulking? Bulking means weight gain. It sounds more like you have a fear of becoming "fat." Unfortunately for most people the combination of excessive exercise (cardio) plus undereating, just causes people to become skinny. ie. low muscle and fat mass. If you don't want to be skinny you will probably have to do the reverse of what you are doing, less cardio exercise and consuming more calories. Eating more carbs usually helps. Supplements won't do anything good for your body if you are over-exercising and under-eating for your goals.