Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Journey of a Female Bodybuilder

Hi, I'm Alysha

I'm 5' 7'
    128 lbs
    Almost 20 years old
    ~18% BF?

A Little Background
    I absolutely love lifting. I love the way it makes me look and the way it makes me feel, but I didn't start out that way. I used to be one of those girls that would do an hour of cardio every single day without fail, eat barely anything but vegetables, and never even pick up a dumbbell. Two years ago I enrolled in college as a nutrition major where I met my boyfriend (who also just happens to be a nutrition major). He changed my life completely. He eventually changed my strict cardio ways and got me into lifting. He showed me how great it is to be strong and that being muscular is much sexier than being skinny. I have been lifting for a little over a year now and I have made tremendous progress, gaining at least 10 pounds of muscle since the time my boyfriend ripped me off the elliptical. For the first time in my life I am happy with my body and like the way I look. I no longer feel trapped in an endless cycle of trying to burn off calories, essentially withering away my body, but rather I feel good about putting energy into body and sculpting it to grow into something beautiful.

My Goals
    I want to continue my journey gaining muscle and increasing my positive feelings about myself and my body. Right now I am cutting. I have made a lot of progress since I began in January, but I am deciding to tighten up my routine and meal plan in order to push myself to achieve maximum results.

My Log
    I lift like a guy and am proud of it! Because of this most of the friends I surround myself with are men. I do not know any females who are into muscle building the way I am and I would like to meet some. This is where your guys come in! I want some female friends with similar goals and stories to share. No matter how you slice it, girls are different than guys and my guy friends don't always... get it.

In this log I am going to post all about my routine, diet, recipes, and any questions that may pop up. My intention is for it to be a log of my progress, but also a support system for girls out there lacking that female lifting buddy. I hope you guys enjoy it and feel free to chime in

-Alysha

alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alyshabruso has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Here is a picture I took of us the other day. I still have a bit of leaning out to do, but I'm happy with my progress!

Currently my fitness routine is a 5 day split:
    Shoulders, traps, and abs
    legs
    arms and abs
    back
    chest and abs

I also do 20 minutes of cardio on the stair stepper most days. I like to take leg day off from cardio because I always feel like I'm going to fall off the machine lol

My nutrition plan is 5 "low days" a week and 2 "high days". On low days I eat 1450 calories a day and try to keep my carbs below or around 35%. On high days I eat 1950 calories and eat extra carbs. I have high days typically on Mondays and Thursdays.

Today was a high day! I have been experimenting with new recipes lately and tried an oatmeal egg and protein bowl thing this morning that tasted okay but was a little bit of a fail. For lunch I had 4 oz chicken, a sweet potato, 2 servings of sugar snap peas and 1/4 of an avocado. (just a side note, I dip everything in mustard. chicken, fish, sweet potatoes, you name it!]. For dinner I made sweet potato crust pizza from a recipe I got on bb.com. It was really good. I put chicken, veggies, and sauce on it but I am lactose intolerant so I left out the cheese. After dinner I had a homemade frozen protein bowl (1/2 mashed banana, 1 scoop protein powder, 2 Tbsp coconut flour, vanilla extract and water) some air popped popcorn with kernel seasoning on it and A peanut butter mugcake.

This is the peanut butter mugcake

It is a questbar recipe made with quest cravings high protein pb cups. SO GOOD. It is the first thing I have had that resembles a cake in the last 2 years. It is made with 1 pack of quest craving PB cups, egg whites, coconut flour, almond milk, and PB2 powdered peanut butter mixed with bakers coco on top. absolutely amazing. I'm so happy it was high day so I could have this stuff!

You will notice that my meals are staggered so I eat most of my food at night. This is because I did intermittent fasting for a year and prefer to eat the majority of my calories at night. Actually, intermittent fasting was great and I do it sometimes on random days if I have a really hectic schedule that day or a huge special dinner feast planned. I find that meal timing is not really as vital as some people think it is. This is just something I concluded from m experience with fasting.

Today I had Back day! (Back day is my favorite). I am so proud of myself because I am now capable of doing 5 chin ups in a row. Before I started lifting I could not even do 1. I blasted my music and really got into the zone today. I don't know what it is, but there is something about Rob Bailey's screaming voice that motivates the hell out of me. Check this song out, maybe you would like it for your own work out playlist:

Morning workout today! I usually like to go in the afternoon, but I'm watching my 4 year old monster, uh, I mean sister, today so I have to go to the gym sooner than later.

Just a little more background...
    I am a college student halfway through my undergrad studying food and nutrition. I'm working towards becoming a Registered Dietician and Certified Trainer, but in the mean time I am home for the summer with my family. During the school year I am employed as a Resident Assistant but so far this summer I have had no luck finding a summer job...

So this summer I am focused on 4 things. #1 is the gym! Gotta get big! #2 is having some fun with my high school friends and boyfriend doing new things #3 is working on my honors thesis for school which is due in December. I'm writing it on the health effects of intestinal microbiota (I'm kind of a nerd and I think this is really cool lol) and #4 is this log. I want to put a lot of time into it, and with no summer job (except watching my sister sometimes) I will have a lot of time to do so

So anyway.... This morning I had a higher carb breakfast than normal due to my morning workout. Raw Fusion proats

Raw Fusion is actually a vegetable protein. I have some unidentified intestinal problem so I have about 6 different kinds of protein, I was trying to find out which one my body tolerates best. This one is easy on the digestive system and it has some pretty good macros. 116 cals, <1 g fat, 5 g carbs, and 21 g of protein. It is made out of pea protein isolate, rice protein isolate, and artichoke protein powder. It tastes pretty good for what it is and I enjoy it in oatmeal with added cinnamon. Only 266 calories for the whole meal, great for cutting!

Today at the gym I will be doing chest, abs, and cardio. I'm really pumped! I'm doing abs 3 times a week right now because my abs are really lagging behind the rest of my body.

All right time to go, I'll report back later!

-Alysha

pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50) pghchick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Alysha! I am subbing your thread and I am looking forward to seeing you get ripped (no homo). There are not very many women into weightlifting, the guys only want one thing, hence why I look for inspiration on here.

Originally Posted by pghchick View Post
    Hey Alysha! I am subbing your thread and I am looking forward to seeing you get ripped (no homo). There are not very many women into weightlifting, the guys only want one thing, hence why I look for inspiration on here.
    Thank you so much for the support! It's so hard to find other girls into lifting. Bodybuilding.com is so helpful for making connections

Chest day success! I hit a new max in my incline DB press, did extra abs, and finished up strong with 20 minutes of cardio on the stair stepper.

Inc. DB press: 3 sets. NEW MAX-> 40’s for 10! Then 37.5’s and 35’s
    Flat DB press: 3 sets. 35, 32.5’s
    Inc. Flies: 3 sets. 25’s
    Across bench pullovers: 3 sets. 32.5
    Fly machine: 3 sets. 60, 50
    Chest press machine: 3 sets. Setting 9 (it says 175 lbs. but I know its wrong lol)
    Knee push-ups: 1 set to fail (ended up being about 15 I think)

I could definitely do more weight for the DB presses, but I have such trouble getting the weight up! My boyfriend helps spot me, but even then, I am really bad at getting them up. I’m working on it though. I am just afraid I am going to break my arm in the process lol

For abs I did 2 sets of each: hanging DB crunch, AbX machine, crunch machine, hanging side crunch, side crunches, regular crunches

20 minutes of cardio on stair stepper. I like to do it at a level that has me out of breath the whole time. For the last minute I pump up the level so it is really hard. I like the “sprint to the end approach”. I used to be a cross-country runner so it feels wrong to end a cardio session without a sprint!

I did a lot more experimenting with cooking today too. For lunch I took a gamble and made a tuna cake w/ salsa and asparagus.

It was 1 can drained chunk light tuna, 2 egg whites, 1 egg, seasoned with garlic powder, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and topped with salsa. The whole meal was only 262 calories and packed on 37 g of protein! It actually tasted really good too, I was really happy with it.

For dinner I made lean turkey meatballs with homemade vegetable sauce atop 2 cups of spaghetti squash. YUM! I’m really into cooking…

After dinner I tried another experiment. I decided to make an apple pumpkin protein mugcake

This is what it looked like. It was sooooo good. It came out really moist because of the apples and it only ended up being about 230 calories with almost 30 g of protein. Win. I’ve been uploading my experimental recipes to rippedrecipes.com. Here is the link to my pumpkin apple protein cake if you are interested: http://www.rippedrecipes.com/recipe/...-cake-650.html The website is really great for cutting and for getting new ideas for cooking.

Then I had one of my homemade protein bowls, like yesterday and some tea. Today was a low day. I ended with 1440 calories, 154 g protein, 153 g carbs, and 29 g fat. I always just seem to end up in a 40%, 40%, 20% ratio, which I’m generally okay with.

Overall I had a great day! Loving the lifting life and pumped for tomorrow. Have a great night everyone

-Alysha

EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Subbed to see your progress
    How's the 5 day split working for you?
    And the big question: how BIG are you going for?? Lol I always ask because women who want size are so rare irl

Also, Rob Bailey is a motivational beast

Originally Posted by EvinHoll View Post
    Subbed to see your progress
    How's the 5 day split working for you?
    And the big question: how BIG are you going for?? Lol I always ask because women who want size are so rare irl

Also, Rob Bailey is a motivational beast
    Thanks so much for the support! The 5 day split is working great, I like to do a 5 day split for cutting because my muscles get exhausted on the limited calories and I like to try and give them time to repair before I work a group out again (I usually only take 1 rest day a week, if that).

Honestly, I would love to look like Dana Linn Bailey. I think she looks absolutely amazing and I'm so inspired by her. I know it would be really hard to get there, but I'm going to give it my all, and I know it will take at LEAST 5 more years lol And yes, Rob Bailey is the **** as well!

So this morning I woke up, did a little research, reflected on my current progress, and decided to reevaluate things.

I decided I'm going to lower my calories again:
    New Low Day: 1,350 (5 days a week)
    New High Day: 1,850 (2 days a week)

This log has really motivated me to want to make faster progress. I have been on my other calorie limits (1450 and 1950) for almost a month now and although my body fat% seems to have dropped based on appearance, my weight has been stuck between 128 and 131 for a while now. I'm going to skim the loss of 100 calories a day from my meals at the end of the night. I don't think it will be a problem because I had plenty of energy on my previous limits so I don't think 100 calories will make too much of a difference in my work out intensity.

The other challenge I am facing is my unidentified intestinal disorder. I really don't know what causes it (although I have so far identified stress, dairy, soy, broccoli, and peanuts as triggers). It causes my weights to fluctuate quite a bit depending on how severe my condition is that week. It often causes me a lot of bloating and pain, along with other annoying side effects... and it can last from hours to days in a row, but I am powering through it regardless and do NOT intend for it to hinder my progress in anyway. It just makes it hard for me to get an accurate weight.

So for breakfast I had my usual breakfast: 1 full egg, 5 egg whites, and half a grapefruit: 211 calories, 25 g protein, 5.5 g fat, 15 g carbs
    And for lunch I had my usual lunch: 4 oz tilapia season w/ Mrs. Dash, a medium sweet potato, and asparagus: 255 calories, 27 g protein, 2.5 g fat, ~37 g carbs
    My scale broke so I estimate at my best lol

yum yum

I'm leaving for the gym in a little bit. Shoulders, traps, abs, and cardio today! If no one is in the posing area after my workout I will be sure to take some pics to post

have a good work out today everyone!

-Alysha

Had a great shoulder day. I hit a new max with my DB shoulder presses and front raises!

DB shoulder press: 30x12, 35x7, 30x12
    Rear delt flies: 15x12, 15x12, 15x12
    Alternating DB front raise: 17.5x10, 17.5x8, 17.5x10
    Lateral Raises: 17.5x12, 17.5x10, 17.5x8
    Upright cable rows: 70x12, 70x10, 70x10
    Arnold press: 22.5x10, 22.5x8, 22.5x7
    Rear delt machine: 20x12, 20x12, 20x12
    DB shrugs: 45x12, 45x10, 45x8
    Rear retraction: "setting 9"x12, "9"x10, 9x10

2 sets each of oblique machine, hanging oblique raise, crunch machine

25 minutes of cardio on the stair stepper. I decided to up my cardio time to 25 minutes indefinitely.

My left shoulder was being a little weird today. I kept feeling like it was going to give out on me during my workout but thank god it didn't. I think it was really tired from struggling to get the weights up on chest press yesterday.

We took pics today too!

and here is one showing my abs. My face looks a little creepy, oh well haha

As you can see my abs are starting to pop out a little more. My spandex is also getting a little too big so I had to roll them down lol (yay)

FOOD
    For dinner I made lean turkey quinoa meatloaf with 2.5 cups steamed cabbage, 1/4 cup rice, and of course I drenched it in mustard. The whole thing came out to be 362 calories, 29 g protein, 11 g fat, 34 g carbs. It was really good. I got the recipe off of rippedrecipes.com. Because the dinner turned out to be less calories than I usually have for dinner, I supplemented it with 2 cooked egg whites scrambled with powdered cheese (only 4 extra cals), and I got to have my pumpkin apple protein mugcake and frozen protein bowl like yesterday.

The whole day came out to be 1342 calories, 139 g protein, 140 g carbs, 26 g fat, again coming out to be right around a 40%, 40%, 20% ratio. I feel good about my first day on 1350 calories. I'm full and satisfied and still got to eat the healthy foods I love. By the way, I am a total health nut in real life and am obsessed with the phytochemicals and healing properties of foods...hence, the nutrition major part I am just as concerned about getting enough vegetables in my diet as I am about getting enough protein. This is why I eat giant quantities of vegetables, like 2.5 cups of cabbage for dinner!

Also, I wanted to share this tea with everyone:

I drink it every night after I am done eating. It is made from chamomile and tastes unbelievable for having no sugar in it. It tastes like warm apple cider and is calming, satisfying, and has no calories. If you like apple stuff you should totally check it out. It's worth the investment.

I hope everyone is doing well! I certainly am. I'm really thankful for all of the support I have been getting, it is really motivating me to push harder and achieve my goals. I'm gonna chill for the rest of the night, I got a big day coming up tomorrow: LEG DAY

-Alysha

Today is HIGH DAY!
    1850 calories and extra carbs

For breakfast I had banana "pancakes" Its actually just 1 egg, 5 egg whites, 1 mashed banana, and cinnamon all mixed up and cooked like pancakes. I'm a big fan. Only 264 calories and they taste like pancakes to me (but I've been told my taste buds are broken lol)

I am trying to make a conscious effort to take my supplements, which are a multivit, fish oil, probiotics, and glutamine

I always forget to take them and then when I remember I just think "oh well, i'll take them tomorrow". I think this is just a rationalization to prolong them because I hate spending money on supplements. I take the multivitamin and fish oil for obvious reasons. I take the glutamine for its lifting benefits, but mostly for its intestinal healing properties. I take the probiotics because of my stomach problems and my obsession with gut health lol I spend most of my mornings doing research for my microbiota thesis and I just think it is so interesting... but I digress... I am currently searching for a good brand of probiotics, anybody have any input? I only have a generic brand right now because my Dad bought them for me and I don't want to waste them.

For lunch I had 4 oz chicken left over from dinner the other day, 2 cups of cabbage, a medium sweet potato, and a ton of MUSTARD 308 calories.

usually for lunch on high day I have a higher carb vegetable, like peas, but I wanted to use the leftover cabbage from last night.

I'm heading to the gym in about an hour for leg day. A few weeks ago I substantially intensified my leg day routine so I'm hoping I have the energy to keep up again this week! My workouts have been going really great lately!

Then after my workout i have to pick up my little sister from daycare and watch her for a bit. She's a cutie but she's not always the best behaved child... This is a picture of us together taken last week

Also, GET PUMPED!

Leg day went pretty well. I didn't have as much energy as I had the last few days, but still a solid workout. Also my boyfriend said my legs looked really good today!

Front squats: 55x10, 65x7, 55x10
    Back squats*: 65x10, 75x8, 75x10
    leg press**: 135x10, 135x9, 135x10
    glute isolator: 35x12, 40x12, 45x12
    leg extension: 105x14, 120x12, 120x11
    leg curl: 105x14, 105x14, 105x12
    adduction machine: 50x14, 55x12, 55x12
    abduction machine: 75x12, 75x12, 75x12
    stiff leg dead lifts: 90x12, 90x12, 90x12
    seated calf machine: 70x14, 80x12, 80x12

* I used to be able to do so much more on back squats. I even did 135 for reps once! but after pulling my lower back a few times I have decided to go lighter on the squats. Also, my weight drops substantially when I do them after front squats.
    **The leg press at this gym is really weird. You lay down in it and add weight but it also lifts the bench you are laying on as you push. In a normal leg press, I usually do about 200-210 for reps.

I also used my once a week cardio skip today. I generally don't like to skip cardio on high day, but I feel like cardio on leg day is pretty useless anyway because my intensity is completely gone when I have jello legs! lol Back to the cardio grind tomorrow

So today being high day, I got to eat some pretty great stuff

My Dinner:

about 7 oz pulled chicken w/ salsa and mustard, 1 cup brown rice, and asparagus

After dinner I was still left with 794 calories, which I strategically planned out to contain the following:
    A cinnamon roll QUEST BAR!
    I also left room for my frozen protein bowl, pumpkin apple protein mugcake, and 4 cups air-popped popcorn sprinkled with kernel seasons. I haven't eaten these things yet tonight but I will in the next few hours.

I love high day because the huge surplus of calories at the end of the day reminds me of when I used to do intermittent fasting. I don't really get hungry during the day and prefer to eat at night so that is the way I do things. I listen to my body. I know a lot of people are concerned about meal frequency and timing but I look at it tis way: my body is going to repair the damage I did to it today while I'm sleeping, so wouldn't the best time to have the calorie surplus be at night? It doesn't work for everyone, but it sure works for my boyfriend an I.

So for the total day:
    calories: 1848
    protein: 182 g (39%)
    carbs: 223 g (47%)
    fat: 30 g (14%)

Now with these extra calories and carbs from today, my workout tomorrow will theoretically be one of my best all week. That is why I love high day. It recharges reenergizes my body twice a week so that I am not tired and miserable throughout my whole cut. It is also supposed to confuse my body so it doesn't continue lowering my BMR to adjust to the calorie deficit of cutting. I strongly recommend the high day/low day approach to cutting if you've never tried it. Besides the physical training and fat loss benefits, it is also a day to look forward to to get to eat more, and come on, who doesn't love that?

Stay strong girls, and keep up the good work!
    Tomorrow: Low day. Arms, abs and cardio. LETS DO THIS

herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) herzog22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting

Hey! Your journal is great! But we are about the same stats.... 5'8" 131lbs.
    I was curious to your lifting days.... Do you do 3 sets or drop sets, super sets,etc.?? Also what does your Ab routine look like!??

Thanks!

Originally Posted by herzog22 View Post
    Hey! Your journal is great! But we are about the same stats.... 5'8" 131lbs.
    I was curious to your lifting days.... Do you do 3 sets or drop sets, super sets,etc.?? Also what does your Ab routine look like!??

Thanks!
    Thanks! For my sets when I'm cutting I usually do just 3 standard sets with light rests in between. I aim for 8-12 on most exercises. When I'm bulking my routine is comprised almost completely of supersets. I have not really experimented with drop sets too much, but I plan to in the future, probably after I stop cutting.

I'm currently shaping up my ab routine because it used to be kind of a free-for-all lol I do abs on my 3 "easiest"/shortest workout days and I have it arranged so that I end up doing abs mostly every other day. I like to do two sets of each 3 or 4 exercises and I usually end up picking the exercise based on what i feel like doing and if the equipment is available at the time. Usually I do 2 sets of hanging DB crunch, 2 sets on the crunch machine, 2 sets side crunches, 2 sets ball crunches. I go until my abs burn painfully each set so the reps vary greatly from day to day.

🇱🇧 Lebanese Jesus 🇱🇧 dougefresh93's Avatar
    dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dougefresh93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    good luck will sub. cheers

BIG news guys!

Last night I registered for the Strong to the Cor 6-Week Challenge!

I’m so pumped. I’m going to take my starting photos today once I locate a newspaper. Apparently they are quite elusive to track down around here (now that I’m actually looking for one) lol

I know this is going push me even harder to reach my goals. This is a really good time for me to take a giant leap as well, seeing as I have almost nothing going on this summer. I can put all of my energy into this challenge, work my butt off, and give it my absolute all. When I get to the gym today I’m going to weigh in and see what my official starting weight is. I’m also going to locate my tape measure to get my starting measurements. It is packed away in one of my college boxes somewhere so that will be a mission for after the gym.

I woke up this morning and had my 1 egg, 5 egg whites, ½ a grapefruit, green tea, fish oil, probiotics, and multivit (229 calories)

Then I worked on my research for a couple of hours.

Lunch: 4 oz tilapia, small sweet potato, 1 cup Brussels sprouts (235 calories)

Gym soon. Getting pumped up! My stomach is a tiny bit upset today… most likely the Questbar I had last night. Sometimes my broken digestive system rejects them, which is horribly sad since they are the most amazing creation that this earth has even been endowed with. Still, I will continue on! Most of the time when my stomach is slightly upset the adrenaline I get from the gym suppresses it during my workout. Thank god.

Here’s some inspirational music for your workouts today:

Hope you have a good one everybody!

-Alysha

Originally Posted by dougefresh93 View Post
    good luck will sub. cheers
    Thanks so much for the support!

The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good luck Alysha, you can do this

Originally Posted by The_Metal View Post
    Good luck Alysha, you can do this
    Thank you Ry

KILLED arm day today!

Easy Bar curl: 50x10, 50x10, 50x10 *new max!
    Reverse grip curls: 30x12, 30x10, 30x10
    Hammer curl machine: 62x8, 54x10, 54x9
    Double bicep cable curl: 15x12, 15x10, 15x12
    Incline curls: 15x11, 15x9, 15x8
    Concentration curls: 15x9, 15x11
    Barbell scull crushers: 40x14, 40x11, 40x8 * new max!
    Assisted dips: 40x10, 40x8, 40x7
    Close grip bench: 50x12, 60x10, 60x9
    Overhead tricep press: 30x12, 30x12, 30x12

2 sets each of: hanging dumbbell crunch, ab machine, side crunches, crunches

25 minutes on the stair stepper

Here I am doing the double bicep cable curl! I was feeling extra beastly so I asked my boyfriend to take a picture lol

(and I couldn’t help it, I had to buy this shirt when I saw it online the other day…)

It was an awesome work out. I’m contemplating a rest day tomorrow because I’ve gone and lifted for the last 5 days in a row. I will see how I feel tomorrow because I did so great today! I’m still going to do cardio either way.

Does anyone else have a problem with the nerves in their arms? My left arm tingles and goes numb sometimes when I do incline curls or assisted dips. It did it really bad today when I was doing dips and I was trying to adjust my body to make it stop with minimal success. I will probably avoid the assisted dips next time.

After the gym my boyfriend and I went to market basket because my family was out of meat and eggs (oh my!). We got tons of chicken, ground turkey, eggs, and veggies as usual, but I forgot to get a newspaper!!!! ☹ I’m bummed because I wanted to take my before pictures today for the contest. I am DEFINITELY getting the paper tomorrow and taking the pictures (even if it’s the last thing I do!). I want to take my official starting weight, take the pictures, and do my measurements all in the same day so I will hold off on the other stuff until I get my newspaper tomorrow.

For dinner I made an Asian-inspired chicken vegetable stir-fry:

Chicken, zucchini, cabbage, onion, and red pepper cooked in a little bit of EVOO seasoned with garlic, soy sauce, powdered ginger, and siracha hot sauce. It ended up being only about 345 calories too. NOM NOM

After dinner I made my pumpkin apple protein mugcake, and attempted to make protein “ice cream” which is in the freezer right now. I wanted it to be super low carb so its just 2 scoops of chocolate protein mixed with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk and vanilla extract. I’m hoping it tastes good!

The whole day worked out to be:
    Calories: 1347
    Protein: 170g (50%)
    Carbs: 108 g (32%)
    Fat: 27 g (18%)

Success. I’m glad I got my carbs even lower today. I try to get them between 30-40% on low days, but the closer to 30% the better.

Honestly if I only had to cook for myself and my boyfriend my diet would be a lot more planned out and strict. But being home for the summer, I have to cook for my entire family, which is me, my boyfriend, my mom, stepdad, 4 year old sister, 18 year old sister, and very frequently my 18 year old sister’s boyfriend. If I cooked chicken, steamed veggies, and brown rice every night they would protest. If I only cooked for myself they would get mad and/or use my ingredients for other things. Also they eat differing amounts of things and sometimes I don’t get to have to portions that I planned out for that meal. It’s a little frustrating when I’m trying to keep a strict meal plan, but the alternative is making my family upset/ purchasing my own food, so I just have to deal with it.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well. Is anyone else doing the strong to the cor 6-week challenge?!? I’ve started inputting my workouts and other information into my bodyspace in preparation for the contest.

Keep striving to reach your goals everyone!

-Alysha

The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nice pics!

NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeverSettle15 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good luck with all of your goals

Originally Posted by NeverSettle15 View Post
    Good luck with all of your goals
    Thanks so much, you too!

I got ahold of a newspaper! took my progress pics, my official starting weight and stats:

Starting weight: 129.5 lbs
    chest: 34 in
    arms: 11.6 in
    hips: 36.25 in
    waist: 28 in
    thighs: 21 in
    calves:13.5 in
    forearms: 9.5 in
    body fat %: I have no idea. I'm estimating 18%. I tried to calculate it using a formula and it said I was 25%, which I definitely think is wrong seeing as they labeled 25% as high average.

I'm so excited!

I decided that after 5 lifting days in a row I am going to take a rest day today. boo hoo. rest days make me sad. I'm still going to go for a run today though. There is a about a 4-4.5ish mile loop that I like to do near my house but i much rather lift than run! I read this article last night too, which also made me put a lot of things into perspective, you should check it out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-...s-of-lean.html

Also, my stomach problem is freaking out this morning so that is another reason to take a rest day. I think it may have been the protein "Ice cream" i tried to make last night. It came out really good but i think my body couldn't handle the extra protein powder. As I said, I'm lactose intolerant but I can still tolerate certain types of whey/dairy protein powders. I currently use Dymatize Elite XT chocolate protein without any real problems. But the recipe I made last night contained 2 scoops of it so that may have been too much for my broken intestines to handle lol

So the plan for today is really just to chill, go for a run at some point, do some research, and go see "The Purge" with my boyfriend at the movies tonight. It looks pretty good. It's a low day so I'll keep the calories minimal, and the fat burning high!

I also just wanted to take a minute and thank my boyfriend for everything he has done to help me grow, learn, and achieve my goals. I wouldn't be here without him. He is the one that got my into bodybuilding in the first place and helped me fix the broken self image i had before. He encourages me, is there for me, and lets me see things in myself that I am unable to see on my own. You are my inspiration and my role model. Thank you for everything you have done for me, I am so lucky to have you in my life

I hope everyone has a good workout today! Pump out those extra reps in my honor, since I will just be running today lol

Keep it up

-Alysha

Originally Posted by alyshabruso View Post
    I got ahold of a newspaper! took my progress pics, my official starting weight and stats:

Starting weight: 129.5 lbs
    chest: 34 in
    arms: 11.6 in
    hips: 36.25 in
    waist: 28 in
    thighs: 21 in
    calves:13.5 in
    forearms: 9.5 in
    body fat %: I have no idea. I'm estimating 18%. I tried to calculate it using a formula and it said I was 25%, which I definitely think is wrong seeing as they labeled 25% as high average.

I'm so excited!

I decided that after 5 lifting days in a row I am going to take a rest day today. boo hoo. rest days make me sad. I'm still going to go for a run today though. There is a about a 4-4.5ish mile loop that I like to do near my house but i much rather lift than run! I read this article last night too, which also made me put a lot of things into perspective, you should check it out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-...s-of-lean.html

Also, my stomach problem is freaking out this morning so that is another reason to take a rest day. I think it may have been the protein "Ice cream" i tried to make last night. It came out really good but i think my body couldn't handle the extra protein powder. As I said, I'm lactose intolerant but I can still tolerate certain types of whey/dairy protein powders. I currently use Dymatize Elite XT chocolate protein without any real problems. But the recipe I made last night contained 2 scoops of it so that may have been too much for my broken intestines to handle lol

So the plan for today is really just to chill, go for a run at some point, do some research, and go see "The Purge" with my boyfriend at the movies tonight. It looks pretty good. It's a low day so I'll keep the calories minimal, and the fat burning high!

I also just wanted to take a minute and thank my boyfriend for everything he has done to help me grow, learn, and achieve my goals. I wouldn't be here without him. He is the one that got my into bodybuilding in the first place and helped me fix the broken self image i had before. He encourages me, is there for me, and lets me see things in myself that I am unable to see on my own. You are my inspiration and my role model. Thank you for everything you have done for me, I am so lucky to have you in my life

I hope everyone has a good workout today! Pump out those extra reps in my honor, since I will just be running today lol

Keep it up

-Alysha
    Excited to see your results!

Man it has been a long time since I've run on the road. I only went 4 miles and my left hip is killing me lol. I can tell that my body has adapted to the lifting lifestyle and is no longer built for cross country running! Although, lifting has improved my ability to run up hills and the speed of my sprint. Still, it felt pretty nice to run outside again. I plan on doing it about once a week on my rest days.

Food for the day:
    breakfast: 1 egg, 5 egg whites, 1/2 grapefruit, fish oil (229)
    lunch: 4 oz tilapia, small sweet potato, 1 cup green beans (246)
    dinner: 1 serving lean quinoa turkey meatloaf w/ 2.5 cups cabbage, siracha, and mustard (318)
    post dinner: pumpkin apple protein mugcake (201) and new and improved protein "ice cream" (336)

Totals:
    calories: 1330
    protein: 147 g (44%)
    carbs: 120 g (36%)
    fat: 29 g (20%)

Yummy dinner. Recipe courtesy of http://www.rippedrecipes.com/recipe/...tloaf-545.html

I tried a new recipe for protein "ice cream" tonight in order to bypass the potential lactose intolerant symptoms. It was made of:
    -2 scoops Raw Fusion Vanilla veggie protein
    -1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    -1/2 mashed banana
    -2 Tbsp. unsweetened coco powder
    -splash of vanilla extract

It actually tasted even better than the whey protein one I made last night! Here is what it looked like:

I'm pumped to lift tomorrow. Back day! Thats my favorite My gym closes at 3:00 on Sundays so I will probably have a morning workout soon after breakfast.

Have a great night everybody

-Alysha

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like this journal. so many food pics for me to look at

My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603

Originally Posted by kaleida View Post
    I like this journal. so many food pics for me to look at

Haha thanks! I like to take them to spice things up a bit. lol at the cat

Woke up this morning with an upset stomach again :/

Had my high-carb breakfast for the morning gym session: vanilla proats and fish oil (284 calories)

Gym went pretty well, but my upset stomach was a little annoying

Chin-ups: 1 set to fail (4.999 lol couldn't get to the very top on the last one)
    assisted pull-ups: 7x30, 12x40, 11x40
    wide grip row machine: setting "9"x12, "9"x12, "9"x10
    lat pulldown machine: 100x14, 100x12, 100x11
    narrow grip cable row: 70x14, 80x10, 80x10
    T-bar row: 25x10, 25x10, 25x10
    1 arm lat pulldowns: 35x12, 35x12, 35x12
    straight arm pulldowns: 37.5x12, 37.5x12, 37.5x12
    hyperextensions: 10x14, 10x12, 10x12

I did 20 minutes of cardio on the stair stepper. I got off 5 minutes early because I had an annoying cramp the whole time. I just wanted to make sure I at least made it to 20 minutes.

On back day I usually do dead lifts as well. My lower back is hormonally triggered to be really sore for no apparent reason once a month so I skip dead lifts on that day. This is something I learned the hard way. One time I tried to do dead lifts anyway with the sore back and I basically paralyzed myself for 3 days. It was that worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I could barely walk or move. SO the lesson learned was: do not do dead lifts if your lower back is already sore that day lol

The reason that I do the lat pulldown machine instead of regular cable lat pull downs is because of the way the mirrors are set up at this gym. On this machine you can watch your back clearly as you do the movement, which is pretty cool. Here is what my back looked like today:

When I got home from the gym I made a tuna cake w/ salsa and asparagus for lunch (277 calories)

I'm hoping my stomach feels better later...